PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question (flash from one program to next)

Dale
October 18th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Ok, newbie here to not only EFIlive, but to all tuning aspects. I see some familiar screen names, so I'm sure some of you know me. :) First and main question...

I intend to run a TPI motor off a 0411 ecm with the L31 program. Since I sent my original ecm off and think I'm going to get ripped off on it. I am going to buy another(if I do get it back, its nice to have a spare). I am having problems finding one for the exact motor I'm replicating. If I get one off another style setup then I intend to run/registered vin. Will I burn a registered vin reading that one, plus the one I am going to run. Or just the first time I get in and program it I need to put my intended vincode/motor info into it and it not cost me a registration?

I'm sure I will have a bazillion questions later. But as for now I gotta get this car atleast up and moving on its own power and out of the garage its in.

kbracing96
October 18th, 2007, 08:23 AM
EFILive licenses the cable to the serial number in the PCM its self. It doesn't care what the VIN is. You will need to license the cable to every PCM you want to change programing on. You can read any pcm without licensing to it.

You can flash any compatible tun file to your PCM, so it doesn't mater what the PCM is out of as long as you have the correct tune file for your application to put on it.

I hope that helps.

Dale
October 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM
So if I have 2 ecms for the same ride(both will be edited). It will kill both of my registrations?

I can read/view any ecm after that, just not edited tell I buy another registration.

kbracing96
October 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM
So if I have 2 ecms for the same ride(both will be edited). It will kill both of my registrations?

I can read/view any ecm after that, just not edited tell I buy another registration.

Yep, on both counts. Although, these no reason to program the second PCM unless or until you absolutely need it.

Dale
October 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Does the 411 have a valet mode? That would be the reason why for me. But also backup and worse case situation.

I'm also wondering if I can make the 411 run an L67 :D

GMPX
October 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM
You need to use one of our custom OS's to get the Valet mode function, there is nothing from factory with it.

Cheers,
Ross

Dale
October 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks. Will work on learning the basics for now. Then once I'm comfy I will look into that.

Since I do alot of work myself, it shouldnt be to much of a problem. But if I loan the car to a friend, I may turn it on, :)