PDA

View Full Version : Road Runner is frustrating me

billyjo
October 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I got my RR a few weeks ago and decided that today would be the day that I put it through it's paces. I got everything dialed in and started driving, I didn't even get 2 blocks before I got the infamous "can't communicate" :Eyecrazy: When I clicked "OK" my computer was froze until I removed the USB then everthing was good.

I reset the whole thing and started driving again, went about 5 minutes and the exact same thing happened again. Went through the process again and guess what, same thing, I can't get it to run more than 15 minutes before it craps out :mad: .

I'm running version 12.14R, on a Dell laptop running XP Pro through the USB port. Anybody have any input or did I get a bad RR?

Bill

mr.prick
October 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM
check your drivers.
are you using a USB hub?
if you are i can tell you the RR doesn`t like to share a port.
also if the USB cable comes out even a little it will disconnect.

Doc
October 29th, 2007, 12:24 AM
How much ram and what kind of processor is on the Dell?

billyjo
October 29th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the replys for far.

I used the drivers from the tutorial so I think they are fine, and my laptop has 4 USB ports, the only other thing that was running off the USB was the flash scan. I'll keep a closer eye on the cable coming loose but I'm reasonably sure that's not it.

It's got a pentium 1.73 porcessor with 2 GB of RAM.

Any other ideas?

Bill

caver
October 29th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Does your cable have a choke on it? I have had issues with other products when using a chokeless cable.

mr.prick
October 29th, 2007, 11:52 AM
check your latency timer, it should be 1.

billyjo
October 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I checked the latency timer and it is set to 1, I had it ideling in the driveway this evening and there doesn't seem to be any rime or reason but it looses connection.

Bill

mr.prick
October 29th, 2007, 04:16 PM
it maybe krunked. :nixweiss:
give moates an email.

mr.prick
December 1st, 2007, 03:32 AM
did you ever get this solved?

billyjo
December 1st, 2007, 04:56 AM
did you ever get this solved?

I haven't got this solved, I've sent 2 emails to moates with no response and I've called the place that I bought it from with no response (left messages no return phone call)

If you've got any ideas why it's happening I'll be happy to entertain them, it's quite frustrating.:mad: It seems like if I get the message, unplug it, replug it back in (the usb) drive, get the message, repeat the step that after 3 or 4 times it's "good" until I turn it off and start it again.

mr.prick
December 1st, 2007, 07:22 AM
ok,
i there was a few times that mine dropped connection and what i did was
to use the FTclean utility thats in the program files>efilive>V7>drivers folder,
then installed the drivers in the same folder,
then i added both the scan and tune.exe to my firewall and haven`t had a problem since.
i`m not sure witch one fixed this but
i am not losing connection during a session for no reason anymore.

Black02SS
December 1st, 2007, 07:32 AM
Its not the Road Runner. Its the drivers. I have the same problem but have been too lazy to try and figure out the exact cause. I'd try and remove the existing one totall and then re-install the latest.

Tordne
December 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM
If you are loading drivers for both a RoadRunner and a FlashScan interface (pretty much always going to be the case) I have found that the RoadRunner drivers need to be loaded first.

Once the RoadRunner drivers are loaded the FlashScan drivers can be installed.

I have found that this works 100%.

The RoadRunner also has to be configured as a VCP in the Tune Tool properties.

AGRO
December 1st, 2007, 12:11 PM
if you are using a car laptop charger you will get this problem

Tordne
December 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
if you are using a car laptop charger you will get this problem

That will tend to kill the car and not just the communications between the RoadRunner and the PC. Apparently something about an earth loop :nixweiss:

mr.prick
December 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
i don`t have a problem with my inverter,
though i did have a couple of lost connections in the past
i have now seemed to resolved this with the drivers reinstalled,
or so it seems.
i know if i power up the inverter after the car is running
sometimes it will "hiccup" so i turn on the inverter
then turn the ignition on.
other wise no problems for me any more.

billyjo
December 2nd, 2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm try all of these things today if I get time, if not I'll try them by the end of the week and report back.