PDA

View Full Version : "The" DPF removal write-up

Boost
November 3rd, 2007, 04:31 AM
I'd like to gather all the useful info in one place about DPF removal.

DISCLAIMER:

The DPF was designed to allow the Duramax to comply with the extremely strict new diesel emissions regulations.
Removing or modifying it is illegal in the US (even for offroad use)!

Now on to the good stuff:

For those that use their LMM for racing only and off-road, removing the DPF has shown substantial gains in fuel economy and power. However, it will cause serious complications. In this thread I hope to gather ALL of the correct information for people who decide to modify their LMM exhaust for whatever reason.

Boost
November 3rd, 2007, 04:32 AM
Some related threads for starters:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6274
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190052
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185262
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204680

Boost
November 3rd, 2007, 04:35 AM
These are the codes that are related to / set because of DPF removal:

P2459 - Regeneration too often
P244C - Catalyst temperature too low during regeneration
P244B - DPF differential pressure too high
P2463 - Diesel particulate filter soot level accumulation

Boost
November 3rd, 2007, 04:36 AM
Here is an overview of the DPF system:

The DPF system has 2 components - the DOC and the DPF. The DOC (Diesel Oxydation Catalyst) comes before the DPF and has been used on diesel engines for years. It's pretty much a regular cat. The DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) captures diesel exhaust gas particulates (soot) to prevent their release into the atmosphere. It forces particulate-laden exhaust through porous cell which has silicon carbide substrate with honeycomb cell-type channels. It's channels are wash-coated with catalyst materials like those in DOC. The DPF is a "wall-flow" type filter. The soot that accumulates turns into residual ash after regeneration. There are two EGT sensors, one before and one after the DPF. The ECM monitors signals from EGT sensors to control DPF regeneration. The ECM supplies biased 5-volts to signal circuit and ground on low reference circuit to EGT Sensor 1. When EGT Sensor 1 is cold, resistance is high. As temperature increases, sensor resistance decreases. The ECM detects high or low sensor resistance voltage on signal circuit.
Proper exhaust gas temperatures at DPF inlet are crucial for proper operation and initiating regeneration. The DPF substrate melts / cracks if temperature is too high. Regeneration is terminated at temperatures above 800°C (1472°F). Self-regeneration will not fully complete soot-burning process if temperature is too low. There is also a Differential Pressure sensor with sample lines before and after the DPF. Calculations from this sensor are extremely important for DPF operation. Excessive fuel useage, loss of power, and possible engine damage can result from too much back pressure caused by a clogged DPF. The ECM will start a regeneration to clear this filter based on distance, fuel, and engine run time since last DPF regeneration, and exhaust differential pressure across the DPF. The computer can actually calculate how many grams of soot are in the filter based on info from all the sensors. Several engine components assist regeneration (engine speed, fuel pressure are adjusted). Late post-injection pulses provide the engine with additional fuel which increases exhaust temperatures entering the DPF to 500°C (932°F) and higher. Contribution to exhaust heat from late post injections is approximately 45%. The intake air valve acts as restrictor to reduce air entry into engine. Engine operating temperature increases by approximately 35%. The intake air heater can also help during regeneration. The turbocharger also plays role in achieving regeneration temperatures by reducing or increasing boost depending on engine load. It's contribution to increasing engine heat is about 10%. The are two main types of regeneration: Passive and Active. Passive regeneration may occur during normal vehicle operation when driving conditions produce sufficient load and exhaust temperatures, without input from ECM or driver (typically while vehicle is being driven at highway speed or towing a trailer). Active regeneration is commanded by ECM when the DPF requires excess soot build up to be removed and conditions for regeneration have been met. It's ususally hard to detect. The truck needs to be driven at speeds above 30 mph for approximately 20-30 minutes for a full regeneration to complete. During this time, exhaust gases reach temperatures above 550°C (1022°F). If regeneration is interrupted, it will continue where it left off (including the next drive cycle) when the conditions are met for regeneration. When regeneration is required, but the vehicle’s operating conditions do not meet the ECM’s requirements (such as frequent short trips or extended idling, the ECM turns on a “Clean Exhaust Filter” indicator. This message appears when the ECM determines soot levels are over 125%, and it remains on DIC display until after regeneration has been completed. Active regeneration has two stages. The first stage warms up DOC by reducing airflow using air intake valve, adjusting turbo boost and fuel rail presuure, and adding late fuel injection pulses. In the second stage the DPF is heated to temperature required to incinerate particulate matter. If a customer requested active regeneration is interrupted, the process ends and will not be activated again until conditions are suitable for regeneration or the regeneration switch is pressed again. An unknown amount of soot can be present resulting from engine or engine control errors caused by a charge air cooler leak, or low compression. If there is over 100 grams of soot, regen is not permitted. One trick is to unplug the sample lines of the differential sensor and force regen.

Boost
November 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
These are the parameters that have to be altered for DPF removal:

Change B2501 to No
Change B2502 to 0
Set the regen min engine temp to the max value (ie: higher than opperating temps)

Boost
November 3rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
Since this forum has the benefit of editing with no time limit, I will keep updating my above posts to keep all the info at the top in one place. Please feel free to chime in. Thanks!

GMPX
November 3rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the assistance on this one.
Would be good to get feedback from everyone on how this is going too.

Cheers,
Ross

IdahoRob
November 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
No problems on the latest LMM DPF removed here.

LBZRCKS
November 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Been DPF Free since the end of august no problems at all to date.

Redline Motorsports
November 12th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Boost,

Been out of the diesel scene for a bit but this is some good info. I'll be following this thread.

Howard

dustinparsons
November 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Been deleted for more than a month now with with no problems after CAL files seems to run stronger than my LBZ but can't back that up. EFI live is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

thanks

Dusty

vortecfcar
November 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Have about 15 LMMs running without filters. They all seem happy with mileage and power.

Nick

dustinparsons
November 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Happy to report with nicks help the truck is running great, and is getting around 17 mpg with only 5000 miles on truck. Much better than 10 mpg

GMPX
November 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Happy to report with nicks help the truck is running great, and is getting around 17 mpg with only 5000 miles on truck. Much better than 10 mpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:
What a disgrace if that is the effect of having the system fitted. Is it just me but surely using less fuel is ultimately better in the overall scheme of emissions? Or is that what happens when the system is removed with no tuning to suit?

Cheers,
Ross

RV Guy
November 22nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Its been a busy week. Received my MBRP 4" SS system and installed it, same day, yesterday. Removed the DPF in the process. Left yesterday afternoon for a good 3 hour tow of a 17k lb. RV down to the Hill Country of Texas for the holiday.

I liked this truck before removing the DPF. But now, I love this truck. I'll be removing the DOC next weekend so I can get a little more sound and performance from it. EFI Live will be next. MPG on the tow was 10.5. This with only 5k miles on it.

Jim

EFIGUY
November 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Change B2501 to No
Change B2502 to 0
Set the regen min engine temp to the max value (ie: higher than opperating temps)

Where do you set the regen min engine temp value? I didn't see that in the parameter section of the DPF?

dustinparsons
November 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I don't see it either but have no problems just setting the regen to no. There may be some newer cal. files that helps show that. If so could some one let us know

killerbee
November 26th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I'd like to gather all the useful info in one place about DPF removal.

DISCLAIMER:

The DPF was designed to allow the Duramax to comply with the extremely strict new diesel emissions regulations. Removing or modifying it is illegal, and for off-road use only!

Good information and thanks for the effort. Just want to point out that vehicle use has no bearing on the legality of doing this, or any other emission modification of a clean air act equipped vehicle from the factory. So off-road won't keep you out of trouble, they can show up at the track I suppose.

"(1) in the case of a manufacturer of new motor vehicles or
new motor vehicle engines for distribution in commerce, the sale, or the offering for sale, or the introduction, or delivery for introduction, into commerce, or (in the case of any person, except as provided by regulation of the Adminis-trator), the importation into the United States, of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine, manufactured after the effective date of regulations under this part which are applicable to such vehicle or engine unless such vehicle or engine is covered by a certificate of conformity issued (and in effect) under regulations prescribed under this part or part C in the case of clean-fuel vehicles (except as provided in subsection (b));"

But like all things, ask your attorney for his official interpretation.

http://www.epa.gov/oar/caa/caa205.txt
http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/caa203.txt

ctibbitt
December 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I removed my DOC and DPF this week. Installed an MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust and EFI Live. I went through Nick's LMM tuning tutorial and built a mild tune for the truck. After working out a few bugs with Nick's help, the truck runs great, no MIL. I am curious though, mine keeps throwing a P2455 and a P0546. I have both of these codes set to "Not reported, NO MIL" so hwo do they keep popping up?

Also, with the MBRP exhaust, the turbo makes a hissing sounds at idle. Not really an issue in the cab, just sounds strange when standing by the tail pipe. I heard the turbo vanes can be opened up a little at idle to minimize this sound. Looks like mine sits at about 80% at idle. Does anybody know what a good setting is to minimize this noise?

Boost
December 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM
The hissing is the turbo spooling at idle and I personally think it's really cool.
A code may be stored without setting off the light.
Thanks to all for the info. I would think an exhausted and tuned LMM is stronger than a similar LBZ. I can't wait to get mine.

ctibbitt
December 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I figured thats what the sounds was. I was monitoring the truck with the laptop the other day and it changed from the hissing exhaust sounds to a very low pitched rumble that I thought was really neat sounding. I looked at the turbo vane position on the laptop and it was reading 72%. It only made the low rumble for a few seconds and then went back to the hissing and the vane position went back to 80% which is where it seems to stay at idle. Personal preference I guess, but I am trying to make it have the low rumble sound at adle all the time.

In an effort to do this, I tried adjusting some of the vane position tables. I adjusted tables B2210-B2215 with a -10% adjustment to the 300,600 & 800 RPM columns. I then went and adjusted tables B2222-B2224 to 50% in the 120, 300 and 800 RPM columns. Loaded up this tune, but the vane position still reads 80% at idle and I still have the hissing? I'll keep playing with it and see if I stumble across the something that works. Im trying to make an adjustment that has an impact on the vane position at idle, but not so much of an impact that I get a lot of turbo lag off the line.

As for the code issue, apparently it is setting the codes as "pending" codes. They have not illuminated the MIL yet. I am just wondering why they get set at all since the tune I am running has those particular codes set to "Not reported, No Mil"

This is my first Diesel so I won't venture to say if an axhausted and tuned LMM is stronger than an LBZ (my buddy has an LBZ), but I like the way mine drives compared to stock. It only stayed stock for 1000 miles, but I can tell it is much stronger now ;)

comet07
December 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Go to the turbo vane angle tables and adjust the low and medium altitude tables to 25 percent at 800 rpm and below. This will give you a nice rumble. Going below 25 % did not seem to improve the exhaust note. Have fun...

ctibbitt
December 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I tried a tune with the low and medium tables set to 20% and it still hissed and the vane position was still reading 80% on the scan tool. I then tried another tune leaving the low and medium tables set to 20% and the limit tables set to 50% (B2222 and B2223) 800 RPM and below.

ctibbitt
December 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Ooops, hit the post button before I was done with that last post. So here is the rest of it.

With both the low and medium vane target position tables (B2212-B2215) set for 20% in cells 0,300:20,800 and the Vane target position maximum (B2223 and B2224) set for 50% in the 120, 300 and 800 columns I was able to get it to work, sort of. I started the truck up and got a nice pleasing sound. But, the scan tool is reading 50% on vane position. So, it must be limiting based on B2224 even though B2215 should be limiting it to 20% at idle (750RPM and 4mm^3) I don't understand whats happening, but it seems to be doing what I wanted.

As for driveability, I think I can feel a very slight delay in spool up leaving a stop light, but that is only if I go foot to floor from idle when the light turns green. Also, I think i detect a little less engine braking effect. No instrumented results to back this up, just seat of the pants feel.

tblu92
January 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Can you do a DPF delete WITHOUT physically removing the unit ? Or will it plug up eventually & throw codes ?

killerbee
January 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Can you do a DPF delete WITHOUT physically removing the unit ?

I don't see how. they load up every 4+ hours of driving. EGT would soon explode, economy would suffer, then it would "blow a gasket"

GMPX
January 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Can you do a DPF delete WITHOUT physically removing the unit ? Or will it plug up eventually & throw codes ?

There would be almost no point anyway, the only reason people need to handle the codes is because it's been removed, if it's all still in place then leave it be.

Cheers,
Ross

tblu92
January 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys !!!

LMMpioneer932
January 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
hey nobody anserd his code problem. anyone know why he kept getting those codes while it said not reported no mil? i am having the same problem the check engine light is on and i've done everything i think i had to do. set everything to not reported that had to do with dpf and regen and all that and still getting the same codes thrown. any ideas?

Redline Motorsports
January 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
I have seen a couple LMM's that also kept tripping DTC's yet the MIL enablers where set to no MIL.........

Howard

LMMpioneer932
January 24th, 2008, 10:29 AM
can anyone help me?

Boost
February 3rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
I would love to help you on that issue, but since few others have commented that they also encountered it, I beleive it's an EFILive / LMM issue and not something you're doing wrong. The LMM has a new style ECU, perhaps the next update can address this?

540sscamaro
February 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have the same problem with 2 customers trucks, i have 7 other ones with no problems on the LMM p0545 or p0546 codes. But these 2 wont let off the check engine light.

tblu92
February 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I have the same problem with 2 customers trucks, i have 7 other ones with no problems on the LMM p0545 or p0546 codes. But these 2 wont let off the check engine light.

It took me over a year of sales calls on this paticular hi-performance 4x4 lift & diesel shop -and finally they gave me a chance to do some tunes for them-
Just my luck the 1st 2 were LMM's and both had issues with the DPF and codes--limp mode--see dealer for cleaning message---Dam !!! Makes us look really bad when we have to back-track and expalin what's happening-almost like we are BS'ing them and we don't know what we're doing--I'm staring to hate these LMM's !!

thetallengineer
May 7th, 2008, 04:49 AM

Change B2501 to No
Change B2502 to 0

Where is the min engine temp for regen located?

Code3Response
May 15th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Been running DPF free for over 5k and love every minute!

Boost
May 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Code3Response, did you tune it yourself for the DPF delete? If so, can you help answer some of these questions about what parameters have to be changed? (Or someone else can chime in perhaps)

duramaximizer
May 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM

I think he was wanting to now if you could make it appear "stock" and still leave everything hooked up and have it not work. AKA, Stealth removal. :sly: So as to knock the guts out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :grin:

fire0021
June 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Code3Response, did you tune it yourself for the DPF delete? If so, can you help answer some of these questions about what parameters have to be changed? (Or someone else can chime in perhaps)

what would you like help with its pretty easy to st the perams for no dpf let me know if i can help

Boost
June 18th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks fire0021, PM sent.

Custom muffler
June 18th, 2008, 07:24 AM
:doh2:Hey Boost Custom here trying to remove the DPF.... My question is does anyone know how to turn off the See Dealer Now & Clean Filter messages that keep popping up in the DIC??? Any help would be great.. Also I can't seem to find the location to set the "min regen temp to max"... Any clues??

LMMpioneer932
June 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Well there are a few things you can do, you can go to engine diagnostics, then DTC enables and look up all the related dpf or cat DTCs and set each one to no mil. so that it wont pop up or turn the check engine light on. One way to find all the necessary ones to change is to read and write down the trouble codes and set each one to not reported no mil. example 2455 and 2454 at stock there set to 2 trips emissions related Mil On, change it to Not reported no mil. and do this to any related dpf or cat emissions DTC enables. Hope this helps

Custom muffler
June 18th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the Help... I will go back and check that plan out Thanks Again

Custom...

duramaximizer
June 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I had a friend truck that was fine for a couple weeks then all of a sudden it set a P0101 or MAF code. So I just turned it off. He said it would go into reduced power mode, and smoke like a train. But after 1 ignition cycle, everything was fine again. But he said his economy went in the toilet. I have turned the code off, so we'll see what happens. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

meat
August 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Will the DPF have any effect on the exhaust tempatures if I add a programmer.I am new to the diesel age and just purchased a 3500HD crew cab 6.6l long bed.I want to add the programmer to get more horses and torque.

Cougar281
November 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Two questions related to DPF removal: Hypotheticly, What would show up on an "Emissions Test" (The kind where they plug into the OBD2 port) if the DPF has been removed? I'm guessing those tests aren't looking for a specific set of tests, but looking for a "not ready" or "failed", etc. I'm guessing that assuming my guess is correct, DPF removal with DPF related tests and DTC's disabled in the tune will appear to pass as far as the computer is concerned?

The other question is what happens if I remove the DPF from the tune and all's happy, but then the person gets a programmer such as a PPE or Predator? Will the "Canned" tuner overwrite the EFI mods and rsul in the DPF being re-enabled, or will the "Canned" tuner read what's in the ECM and only modify the fueling, tuning, booest, timing, etc as needed, leaving my EFI DPF removal modifications intact?

Redline Motorsports
November 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Two questions related to DPF removal: Hypotheticly, What would show up on an "Emissions Test" (The kind where they plug into the OBD2 port) if the DPF has been removed? I'm guessing those tests aren't looking for a specific set of tests, but looking for a "not ready" or "failed", etc. I'm guessing that assuming my guess is correct, DPF removal with DPF related tests and DTC's disabled in the tune will appear to pass as far as the computer is concerned?

The other question is what happens if I remove the DPF from the tune and all's happy, but then the person gets a programmer such as a PPE or Predator? Will the "Canned" tuner overwrite the EFI mods and rsul in the DPF being re-enabled, or will the "Canned" tuner read what's in the ECM and only modify the fueling, tuning, booest, timing, etc as needed, leaving my EFI DPF removal modifications intact?

If you load a tune on top of the DPF removal tune yes it will over write it. I am a few customers with PPE tunes that I had to go back in a change the required parameters need to shut off DPF when the removed it.

zackbennett
June 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I just ordered my efi live!!! I have a quick question, Can I modify the stock tune just to get rid of the dpf and leave all other stock levels the same. All I want to do right now is run a straight pipe with stock tuning. Is it just a matter of changing those values as stated on the stock tune and reloading it?

Brian1
June 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Yes thats correct. Turn off DPF and then should be set. Upload new tune. Of course the ECM will record the tune was uploaded and if you go in for a warranty engine issue then look for a possible warranty lose. Many post on DPF delete over say on www.dieselplace.com

Brian

zackbennett
June 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Not concerned about the warrenty Issue, my dealer is easy to work with. I just wanna run stock level tuning with the dpf gone. Glad I can do this, hopefully my efi live gets here soon so i can put on my exhaust

Spuco
December 30th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Change B2501 to No
Change B2502 to 0

New to EFI Live, where are these peramiters found in the EFI?

mr.prick
December 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Paste the parameter ID# into the search bar inside the navigator window
to find them automatically.

joecar
December 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Make the letter B uppercase... this will take you directly to that table (if your calibration contains it).

If you make the letter lowercase, then the search will take you to each occurrence (each time you press Search) of that table id (it may be mentioned by other tables).

Dream2000
March 10th, 2010, 04:36 AM
New to EFI Live, where are these peramiters found in the EFI?

Change B2501 to No
Change B2502 to 0

Where is the "Set the regen min engine temp to the max value (ie: higher than operating temps)"

I don't find it either.

Boost
March 17th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Sorry that my write-up is incomplete / inaccurate. When I lost my diesel (and hopes of an LMM lol) I kind of was hoping that people would just pick up where I left off. Many people did post helpful info here though. At the time I started the thread a lot of the stuff was brand new tech and hopefully helpful and informative to some. Now many people know the ins and outs of tuning out the DPF. Perhaps someone can chime in again? Thanks!!!

MMLMM
March 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Change B2501 to No
Change B2502 to 0

This is all you have to do besides set the DPF codes to not report.

Also in C2001 to C2004 you can raise to 655, but it really doesnt matter.

Boost
March 25th, 2010, 06:27 PM
:cheers::thankyou2:

blaineGMC
September 27th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Ok i changed the parameters to No and 0. But what codes do i block? Thanks!

kkmboise
December 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I just did another DPF delete and there are a couple codes that will not go away..... I have never ran into this. Codes are p2033 for the EGT sensor 2 high voltage and then p0546 for EGT sensor 1 high voltage and then p2455 for DPF Pressure sensor circuit high voltage. I have never had these problems before so if someone that has and would like to pitch in and help me resolve this it would be great

Duramax 6.6L
December 20th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Sounds like you have a short to a power wire that is putting to much voltage in the circuit. Check the wiring harness for a rub through, or anything that would make a short.

Boost
January 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I just did one and using (filtering) the info from this thread I had no problems and a great outcome. As can be suspected from the comments of more experienced folks, this is much simpler than I perhaps made it sound in the beginning. Basically you just tell the tune that it's not equipped and then block a few DTCs. Mileage and power both improved considerably, especially overall economy. (No more 8-17 mog variation haha). Thanks for everything!

plumber1
April 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I have a EGR blocker plate and a race exhaust from the turbo down pipe back do I just install them and turn off the DPF and EGR in the tuming software or is their moer that I have to do

Boost
April 21st, 2011, 03:11 AM
I have a EGR blocker plate and a race exhaust from the turbo down pipe back do I just install them and turn off the DPF and EGR in the tuming software or is their moer that I have to do

I had a customer that used a hand-held programmer to disable the DPF and his truck still set a check engine light and smoked / hesitated. I had him return it to stock and then I turned off every single thing I saw in the tune that was DPF related plus any of the codes he had current such as EGR and a mass air flow one I think. Runs like a champ now, no lights or hiccups. You can try that it's relatively easy.

sprouse99
August 2nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have removed about a dozen of these with no problems, but I have one truck that keeps "reverting" after a few weeks and I have to reflach it again. What could be causing this?

Boost
August 3rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
That should not be happening at all. Sounds like you are just silencing or resetting something. Please post the codes it sets when it "reverts". Also what in the tune are you altering to try to make it work?

probeen
May 22nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Change ecm p0546 to X: Not Reported, No MIL
Change ecm p2033 to X: Not Reported, No MIL

So far so good no check engine light and runs like a champ.

07.5 LMM
EFI live #FS2-GM stock with just DPF params set to off and above DTC codes changed to values stated.
6" tip
5" flo pro #634 from turbo back, free flowing muffler, sounds awesome.

Ran this thing with codes after exhaust install for last 2 weeks and no problems. Finally tackled it today with the programmer. No codes and light is out.

skneeland
May 22nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Change ecm p0546 to X: Not Reported, No MIL
Change ecm p2033 to X: Not Reported, No MIL

Did a delete on an 08 LMM the other day. These two codes show up every time i scan it, but dont seem to be a problem or throw an engine light. Ive tried turning them "off" all 3 ways available

THEFERMANATOR
May 23rd, 2012, 04:35 AM
Did a delete on an 08 LMM the other day. These two codes show up every time i scan it, but dont seem to be a problem or throw an engine light. Ive tried turning them "off" all 3 ways available

There are SEVREAL differrent kinds of code scans. Shutting teh codes off will prevent them from turning on the light and showing up with a generic code reader, BUT the ymay still show up in a FULL code scan with the V2 or a TECH 2.

coalroller83
May 28th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I did DPF and the EGR delete on a '07.5 LMM. (4" straight, turbo back MBRP) Runs good, but is throwing code P0549. Any suggestions? Also, it really hisses out the exhaust.... Sounds like the exhaust is plugged. What am i missing?

Boost
May 28th, 2012, 10:31 PM
It will hiss a lot with exhaust when the vanes are closed. Does it sound like an LBZ under boost?

Dragbear
January 30th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Hi everybody
I just got my v2 today and tried to remove the DPF using some of the post about doing it.
It started up ok with no dtcs so I took it for a ride. First 3 miles were ok then it started surging and putting out a lot of black smoke. It felt like it was going to quit so I got it back home and put the H&S back on it. It runs great with the H&S mini max. Any Ideas???

I have the H&S sold but I have to get the truck to run with the EFI first.
Rick

Boost
January 31st, 2013, 04:10 AM
Hi Rick, send me your file and I can have a look:

tune@torquesouth.com

LReiff
January 31st, 2013, 06:50 AM
Hi everybody
I just got my v2 today and tried to remove the DPF using some of the post about doing it.
It started up ok with no dtcs so I took it for a ride. First 3 miles were ok then it started surging and putting out a lot of black smoke. It felt like it was going to quit so I got it back home and put the H&S back on it. It runs great with the H&S mini max. Any Ideas???

I have the H&S sold but I have to get the truck to run with the EFI first.
Rick
Remove the H&S, go to the dealer and have the ecm flashed with a clean OS. Read the clean OS and tune from there. The H&S has the OS segments all messed up. I have a customer running with DPF, he flashed with H&S and had the tuning all messed up, then he brought it here and after fooling around for a day I took it to the dealer and got a reflash, problems all vanished.

Please leave us know how it works after a reflash.

Boost
January 31st, 2013, 07:28 AM
As Lee said, I have also seen this with Diablosport.

THEFERMANATOR
January 31st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Post up your stock tune that you have, and I'll see if I can correect it for you. There are ways of fixing the segments in many cases, but it isn't always easy.

Cyrperformance
February 3rd, 2014, 08:52 AM
I am very new to forums and I'm not familiar with EFI Live other than everyone says it is the best available. Anyway I have a Chevy Express with the LMM and have installed the 3" downpipe and a Magnaflow 5" filter back kit and just drove it and the clean exh filter light appeared. I want to eliminate the DPF system for the benefits anyway and need direction in the sense of a written tune to allow this. Not looking for anything extreme just mild but no DPF. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Boost
February 3rd, 2014, 05:24 PM
I am very new to forums and I'm not familiar with EFI Live other than everyone says it is the best available. Anyway I have a Chevy Express with the LMM and have installed the 3" downpipe and a Magnaflow 5" filter back kit and just drove it and the clean exh filter light appeared. I want to eliminate the DPF system for the benefits anyway and need direction in the sense of a written tune to allow this. Not looking for anything extreme just mild but no DPF. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

e-mail me your tune to tune@torquesouth.com and I will have a look

Also, do not be so direct with describing those kind of things here. It is frowned upon as it can be misinterpreted by some to suggest that you would be looking to do something that breaks emissions regulations. Clearly this is an off road use vehicle. :good:

ironmax
July 7th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Any luck figuring out the, p0546. Got one throwing this code, but haven't gotten a chance to diagnose the problem. Will be looking at it on wed. And a specific area would speed up the process. Thanks

ironmax
July 7th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I just did another DPF delete and there are a couple codes that will not go away..... I have never ran into this. Codes are p2033 for the EGT sensor 2 high voltage and then p0546 for EGT sensor 1 high voltage and then p2455 for DPF Pressure sensor circuit high voltage. I have never had these problems before so if someone that has and would like to pitch in and help me resolve this it would be great

Any luck figuring out your codes? I have the 0546 and a specific area would be great

ironmax
July 8th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Never mind. I missed that DTC when I was setting to not report

NCRay
February 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
This question is in reference to the DTC's P2033 and P0546, EGT Sensor DTC's. If I use a DPF delete pipe w/bungs on my LMM, port the factory EGT sensors into the proper bungs in the replacement straight pipe, and do not disable the DTC's as stated above, will I be OK? In other words no codes reported for EGT sensors as all is well with EGT temps? My plan is to retain the EGT sensors so my EDGE Insight can still monitor the sensors via the ODBII connection rather than having to add new/separate EGT sensor.
TIA for replying by anyone who has knowledge of this process.

tblu92
February 3rd, 2016, 10:45 AM
It should be OK---- The only time you would want to permanently delete those related codes is if you un plugged those sensors-- on a full straight pipe kit without bungs----
Are you sure this is where the Edge gets EGT's from ??? I don't think so----Most all EGT sensors require you to drill a hole in the Exhaust manifold right in the engine bay and plug the EGT sensor there----
If you relocate the sensor on the delete pipe I'm not sure if you will get an accurate reading---as it's too far away----(unless Edge says that it's OK to install their sensor on the delete pipe )

jay p
February 3rd, 2016, 11:43 AM
I did that same my 2010 LMM. I actually had the pressure sensor pipes installed also and didn't turn off any codes. I never had a check engine light in 30k miles (I sold truck in Dec). The edge insight can read the DPF EGT sensors, but that's not an accurate way to measure exhaust temps for engine/turbo related issues. They are too far past the turbo and past the Cat.

Jay

NCRay
February 3rd, 2016, 11:49 AM
It should be OK---- The only time you would want to permanently delete those related codes is if you un plugged those sensors-- on a full straight pipe kit without bungs----
Are you sure this is where the Edge gets EGT's from ??? I don't think so----Most all EGT sensors require you to drill a hole in the Exhaust manifold right in the engine bay and plug the EGT sensor there----
If you relocate the sensor on the delete pipe I'm not sure if you will get an accurate reading---as it's too far away----(unless Edge says that it's OK to install their sensor on the delete pipe )

First thanks for the reply. Presently the Insight monitors two PIDs labeled as pre-DPF EGT and post-DPF EGT. It is my guess, since it is getting its electrical signal from the ODBII connection, it is the two EGT sensors in the DPF pipe. I have no other EGT sensors on the truck I am aware of since the truck is bone stock right now; but not for long now that I have my FSV2 and am prepping my 1st tune for load. Your thoughts anyone?
Thanks