PDA

View Full Version : 98 L31 standalone tuned no shift

996pilot
November 16th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I purchsed a wiring conversion and a tune from a guy to put my 98 L31 in my old truck. Now it will not shift. The trans shows that it is commanded in first gear all of the time. No matter what gear it is in it still says 1st gear is commanded.

Does anyone know if there is a pid for the pnp switch?
I also read that the 4L60e acts like a hydralic trans in any manual position except D4. In D4 the trans uses the solenoids to shift the tranny.
So in my case the trans will not shift and it just seems to slip in any gear position.

So is the trans supposed to shift by itself if it is not in D4?

And finally, if you tune with efilive does it change the way the trans operates? Or the way the PCM sees the trans? It will start in any gear and if I unplug the PNP switch I get no codes.

ChipsByAl
November 16th, 2007, 01:24 PM
When you scan it, does it show vehicle speed when you are driving?
Al

996pilot
November 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Al
I have it on stands and I do get speed from the VSS. I did drive it but slips real bad so put it on stands to try to avoid killing the trans. I was told the pnp switch does not matter is that true?
I scanned a 2000 5.3 with 4l60e and I got pnp pid. Looks like mine does not. Just really need to know if the tranny is supposed to act the same a it does from the factory.
But also why will it start in gear?

Lextech
November 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I can't really help you out except--The PNP switch is not wired to the PCM in the 98 and earlier trucks. So, You will not have any codes from unplugging it and there is no PID for it.

996pilot
November 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Well that does help. What does it do then? I read that the pnp switch tells the trans if it is out of park or neutral because it cannot tell by pressure. But I do not see a pid so that comfirms what I am getting. thanks