PDA

View Full Version : GM 3.8L V6 (L32) support update?

Mach2
November 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Any word on when EFI Live will support the GM 3.8L V-6 (L32 supercharged) engines? Last post said it should be sometime in 2007.

Rocketman69
November 20th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I'm also very interested in this. EFILive can handle all of my fuel injected vehicles except for the 3800 powered onese. I'd hate to buy the "other" software just to tune those, when I feel that EFILive is a superior product, and should be well up to the task. Addition of this support would be greatly appreciated. Complete 96+ support for L36/L67 and L26/L32 would be excellent!:rockon:

articSS
January 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
same here i hope this becomes a reality too. I just bought a 1999 gtp a couple of weeks ago.

DURAtotheMAX
February 11th, 2008, 06:23 AM
me too :(

It looks like any other LS1 ECM? Not that that means anything tho...

Mach2
April 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Since I started this thread I will ask the question again. Can we get an update from EFI Live/Administrators on when/if EFI Live will support the GM 3800 L36/L67 motors? I need to program for a few changes and would love to use one of my licenses for this but cannot wait much longer.

GMPX
April 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Whoo, hoo!, 4 users :grin: , just kidding.
If / when we do the V6's it will be months off, not weeks. We did make a start on them, we can read all 1996 - 2008 3.8L PCM's in our development programs. Flashing them would be no major hurdle either, but, mapping them, adding them in to the software is still a lot of work, we will get there eventually. I thought I had made it clear support for these motors are not a priority for us right now, please don't be offended by that, but as Donald Trump would say, "It's just business".
If you can hang out then it should be worthwhile but if you need tuning right now!, then you probably will need to look elsewhere.

Cheers,
Ross

Mach2
April 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
That's not the answer I was looking for, but at least it is honest. I gotta respect that. Keep up the good work.

GMPX
April 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Well, the 2005-2008 PCM is the first one we will be supporting, currently the software can load a file from one of these (off disk, not out of the PCM), know what it is etc, we can read and program them in our development software.

If you can wait then it's only going to cost you $99 rather than buying a whole new product.

Cheers,
Ross

ls698ta
February 7th, 2009, 05:26 AM
any updates on this?

Fierobsessed
August 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
My teeth are grinding in anticipation. I know it's hard work. But... think of all those poor Fiero's and Grand prix's out there with 3800 Series II/III motors...

bw02gtp
August 3rd, 2009, 02:49 AM
There are quite a few of us wanting support for these cars.

minytrker
August 4th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Well I broke down and bought hpt just to tune one of these. They are tunable (is that a word lol) and hpt may support them but they are missing quite a few tables.

dfe1
August 4th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Well I broke down and bought hpt just to tune one of these. They are tunable (is that a word lol) and hpt may support them but they are missing quite a few tables.
They always seem to be missing quite a few tables.

SSpdDmon
August 4th, 2009, 06:01 AM
They always seem to be missing quite a few tables.
http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

68skylark455
October 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Any update at all? we are going to be swapping our non sc for a 05 or newer s/c 3800 and would like to use my EFILive instead of hpt.

GMPX
October 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry, we have not even looked at them yet. Too many other things to complete before we look back to the older cars.

Cougar281
December 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
I assume no chance of 04+ 3800 Series III support in the next 6 or so months? If I need to do some basic tuning on my friends 04 Grand Prix when we swap in a Supercharged 3800, I guess we could buy HPTuners, but I REALLY hate to...

playtoy_18
April 26th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Bump.
Got a couple L36's and L67's i'm tuning with other products.
Would love the option to use my EFILive.

L31Sleeper
April 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Bump !!!!!

GMPX
April 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM
L31Sleeper, give the bumps a rest would you! Move on, we aren't doing these PCM's, go get HPTuners or Tunercat.

schwoch1
April 27th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Im so sick of you telling people you havent found the time to look yet your to busy. When you really mean get lost. Your attitude is weak > you let these threads linger for years

slows10......

WOW, did someone piss in your wheaties this morning or what?????
They have been saying for years that they would 'possibly' looking into the 3800's, there was never a yes that I ever ran across in the time I have been here. I would love to see more V6 support also, but they have said time and time again, not gonna happen soon, if at all!!!! Get HPTuners or TunerCat, they support the V6's. After using either one, you will be glad that EFI Live does what it does, trust me. I have TunerCats and HPTuners, and they work, but EFI Live is much easier to use and the scanning abilitles are much better than the forementioned systems!!
Go take a chill pill and calm down dude!!!

Mike

schwoch1
April 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM
L31Sleeper, give the bumps a rest would you! Move on, we aren't doing these PCM's, go get HPTuners or Tunercat.

Now the official word has come around....
Now maybe everyone will give it a rest .............
I will say I am disappointed, but understand 100% where you are coming from!!!
Mike

L31Sleeper
April 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM

OK. I've put it behind me.
I found about 10 more that I didn't bump, why not delete all the threads asking for support ?

schwoch1
April 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Spare me the lesson guy no need to tell me your opinion of efilive compared to the rest.
Really wasn't intended to give you my opinion, I really could give a shit what you use for a tuner..... maybe you are one of them 'hex editor' dudes.... don't know!!! Was just trying to state that you have other options, and that EFI Live works better than some of the cometition. Ever try and use the scanner on TunerCats.... oh that's right, it don't have one..... Ever used HP Tuners???? My point was that everyone needs to quit bustin EFI Live's staff's balls over the V6 stuff.... you knew what it covered when you bought it, you shouldn't of expected more. Yah, it would of been nice to have the support, but I agree with them, to spend a shitload of time for a very limited amount of people would be pointless........ time and effort can be spent adding support to more popular existing tables and the newest shit coming out!!!
Let's all try to move on...... We got the official word, lets all go from there....

Later
Mike

schwoch1
April 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM
come on grow up would you? You dont get the point. Im not complaining about supporting a pcm. Again I ask you to not start some kind of a feature war between companies. It s the internet get over it. I dont care for the imo unprofesional attitude towards some questions about whether a pcm is going to be supported or not. It has happened in a few threads. So if you dont like it who cares move on. If you want to be a smartass with me feel free to pm me. If not move on. Also why would you insult other people and what they tune with? A hex editer dude huh? what.? I tune with efilive. Whoi cares what other people tune with. You sound like a tough internet talker. Go ass kiss somewhere else

No ass kissing needed, no growing up needed.....Never insulted anyone, hell, I am not even an internet tough talker, I am actually a really nice guy (I think?). It just pisses me off when people diss/talk bad/piss and moan about a product (any product, not just EFI Live)when it doesn't do what it was never intended/advertised to do. EFI Live never was sold as a 3800 V6 (or 3.1/3.4 V6) tuning product, it states that on the supported vehicle page in the main site. If someone bought EFI Live thinking that those particular V6's would be supported because of a few rumors/maybe's in some threads here and there, they have no one to complain to except themselves. Yah, the attitude conveyed from the admin. at EFI Live was a little....... harsh.... I will say, but look at it from their standpoint and you would probably have a bad attitude about it too!!!
Let's all again.... try and move on, no harsh feelings........

Mike
PS... Hex editor dude reference... someone who tunes their vehicle with a hex editor 'cause they are smarter than the rest of us!!!! :)

ScarabEpic22
April 27th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I wish I was a halfway decent hex editor, have to let Jesse crack them P10s for me instead! Haha

schwoch1
April 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I wish I was a halfway decent hex editor, have to let Jesse crack them P10s for me instead! Haha

I wish I could read/do something with hex code also, I can pick out a few things here and there, but then end up with a checksum error and just give up and use a commercially avaliable program!!!

Mike

joecar
April 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Everyone calmed down now...?!?!

EFILive has a supported vehicles page at www.efilive.com (http://www.efilive.com) this should be consulted before setting one's heart.

EFILive originally was an LS1 tuning tool (i.e. Gen III 8 cylinder), and a GM scantool before that.

All the different calibrations/projects/etc require lots of time stretching to infinity... Ross and Paul would love to make everyone happy, but there just isn't enough time.

GMPX
April 27th, 2011, 04:23 PM
The reason we never came out and said 100% no way would we do them is our mind set has been that we might just do them one day. Heck, we even developed read / write bootloaders for them, we came up with a method that allows a 'safe' cal only flash on them (not easy on that PCM), we've skimmed the surface on the mapping even. But in that 2 years (as seems to be some magical number people are throwing around) a lot of things have changed, example, we are the ONLY company out there to offer tuning support for the 2010+ E39 & E78 ECM's, that took a lot of time and effort to get to market and I know our customers sure appreciate being able to offer tuning for vehicles that nobody else can do. We are also on the verge of releasing Cummins support, any sane business person would put any of those at prime position above the 3800 PCM. So there does always seem to be something pushing them back. In all honesty, if we are doing a time warp back I'd rather support something like the early Northstar PCM over the 3800, but again, it's a customer demand thing (or lack of) that dictates that.
I just can't see what EFILive could offer the 3800 tuners over what Tunercat, DHP or HPT has tried in the past apart from using a GUI that you are familiar with. We can't fix any inherent limitations that PCM might have.
All sales Emails we get on the 3800 PCM is responded with we have no immediate plans to support them. It's not EFILive digging up 2 year old threads, I posted a year and a half ago:

"Sorry, we have not even looked at them yet. Too many other things to complete before we look back to the older cars."

Common sense might suggest that no 'official' posts in those threads for two years with everything else that is coming out might suggest it's died a natural death. My post does not suggest in any way shape or form we are actively working on the 3800 PCM and a release is pending. Would it have mattered anyway what I said, just read through the LML thread on here.
So if you want the official word, here it is, we have no plans to ever support the 3800 PCM.

bw02gtp
April 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
So if you want the official word, here it is, we have no plans to ever support the 3800 PCM.

Well, 3800 support was the ONE thing holding me back from purchasing EFILive, guess I'll never be purchasing it then. I don't know why people think it's so hard to support these modules (I've helped create a bin editor specifically designed for the P04, and P05 pcm's, we just don't have a flashing program ready yet, and I've even created some custom code side hacks that overcome some of the limitations of the stock os code), they are not that different from the P01 (512kb ls1) line, and most of the os code is very similar, especially the transmission code.

larski156
January 14th, 2014, 10:52 AM
WOW. Cant believe that no development is planned for any of the 3.8 GM motors. Huge market out there for these motors, they are everywhere and starting to see them on the local dirt tracks even. There is as much if not more of a market for tuning these engines than the duramax will ever have. We just have never had a capable or popular enough tuner to get there. Very, Very Disappointing. Tune support for my L67 and L32`s is what has kept me from pulling the trigger on a couple shiny new flashscan cables for years. Have a few of these motor laying around id like to do things with (Like a stand alone generator and inboard boat) but EFI live has no plans of putting any effort in to develop tuning software. As far as im concerned its EFI Live or nothing. Seems to me if Ross and/or Paul dont have the time to develop they should hire someone that is able and willing. Surely a easy money maker even if it don't meet the golden EFI live standards. This will surely leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

schwoch1
January 15th, 2014, 03:20 AM
WOW. Cant believe that no development is planned for any of the 3.8 GM motors. Huge market out there for these motors, they are everywhere and starting to see them on the local dirt tracks even. There is as much if not more of a market for tuning these engines than the duramax will ever have. We just have never had a capable or popular enough tuner to get there. Very, Very Disappointing. Tune support for my L67 and L32`s is what has kept me from pulling the trigger on a couple shiny new flashscan cables for years. Have a few of these motor laying around id like to do things with (Like a stand alone generator and inboard boat) but EFI live has no plans of putting any effort in to develop tuning software. As far as im concerned its EFI Live or nothing. Seems to me if Ross and/or Paul dont have the time to develop they should hire someone that is able and willing. Surely a easy money maker even if it don't meet the golden EFI live standards. This will surely leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

So....... you dug up a two year old thread to piss and moan about the lack of support for a vehicle that has been CLEARLY not supported for as long as I have been around..... I don't understand your logic here sir! There are other tuning options avaliable for the 3800's, I use tunercat's for what work I do to 3800's, works nice. If you have been around the site for a while, you would know that needling/pissing and moaning about the staff of EFI Live really get's you nowhere, it just pisses people off!
Also, in other threads much newer than this one, it states that they are looking into tuning again for the V6's, but no time frame was given/implied!
Hope this helps...

Mike

GMPX
January 15th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Mike is correct, if you must tune those PCM's then TunerCat is a good (cheap) option and to be honest that is probably the main thing stopping us, pretty hard to join and compete in an existing market that has a very cheap tool to begin with.
I can almost guarantee that if we supported those PCM's all people will want is to pay $1,000 max for an unlimited stream and if that is not an option then we will be told we are too expensive, probably even $125 per license is asking a bit much in comparison to TC. We've had the read and flash routines done for years (it's kind of just an LS1 PCM afterall), any release we do would be compared against TunerCat and HPT, and from what I have seen over the years people are very reluctant to change software packages so the idea of creating more customers can be thrown out the window. I understand it would be nice for EFILive folks to be able to use the one package for all PCM's, but from a business perspective (time management) I still don't see it being worthwhile.
Things have changed around here in the last few years anyway, we tend not to say what we are working on until it is near ready for testing, so who knows what we might come out with this year :thumb_yello: