PDA

View Full Version : DPF Delete and exhaust question

clickjocky
November 21st, 2007, 05:52 AM
I decided that I needed to get rid of the DPF for reasons that have been covered in this forum extensively. I will hopefully be able to run a high percentage of biodiesel so I will use this to help justify the removal of the exhaust emission components. I will be making my own biodiesel so I will have complete control over the quality of fuel being placed in my engine.

After reading many forums I decided my best bet was to go with EFIlive. For those of you who don't know this tuner allows you to have almost complete control of what and how your computer controls your vehicle. What makes it different from some of the other tuners is that it doesn't come with preset tuning modes. You have to either tune it yourself (not for the unexperienced) or have someone provide a tune for you (help is easily found on this forum :) ) one caveat with this tuner is that you have to be able to get a computer close to your truck to use it, (Considered making a long extension cable for the V2 to truck interface) or have a laptop. I think that the advantage with using this tuner is that the software can be changed allowing for future upgrades.

So I have my tuner and a tune. I am ready for a "turbo-back" exhaust. For those of you who don't know what that is I'm going to be removing the CAT (I t is referred to as something different DOC?), the DPF Diesel Particulate Filter, the muffler and tailpipe. This all will be replaced with a kit provided by a local muffler shop who was kind enough to do this for me.

He called his supplier "Diamond" or something, I didn't quite catch it. He was going to try to put an '06 kit on it. They told him if I he could wait 2 weeks that they would have a kit for the LLM and it would be a lot less work to get it installed. I decide to wait for the new kit.

:help2:

Several question arose about the exhaust removal that I would like to ask. First, what do you do with the sensors once they are unhooked? Second what do you do with the lines that are coming out of the DPF. I would like to make it so if for some reason I had to put my stock exhaust back on I would be able to. I have looked around but have not found any information or suggestions on what do do with the lines.

RV Guy
November 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
I just removed my DPF yesterday and installed a DOC-back MBRP system on my new 2008 Dually LMM.

Once you are under the truck and start removing the sensor lines for the temp probles and the other tubes, etc. I will become fairly obvious what you can do.

Regarding the two temp. probes, I follow the wire leads on each probe to where it makes a connection. Each wire lead is about 12 - 18 inches long. I disconnected both probes at their respective connections.

The tubing is held together in a metal harnes fashion. After disconnecting them from the DPF, I followed where they went. I found they both connected to the same area; a bracket mounted to the underbelly of the truck's cab. I removed one bolt and disconnected the leads from that connector as well.

I stored everything together in the garage. I have no doubt, if needed, I could easily put the whole thing back together just as it came apart.

I was in a rush, so I didn't remove the DOC. I'll be doing that next weekend. I replace the stock exhaust with a CAT-back system plus a flanged downpipe for 2001-2005 2500/3500 HDs; both from MBRP. Went together just fine. Next weekend, all I'll have to do is remove the downpipe with the DOC and replace it with one without the DOC (CAT) whatever.

Hope this helps.

Jim

GMPX
November 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM
clickjocky, you bring up an interesting point, what happens to the exhaust treatment system when someone wants to run bio diesel? Will it fail if it is not removed?

Cheers,
Ross

clickjocky
November 21st, 2007, 10:40 AM
I have read everything to..it will plug the filter too often to...not really much difference. All I know, if it is off, no problems.