PDA

View Full Version : Comparison???

bc3tech
November 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Ok so for the longest time I was a big advocate of tuning for the Ecotec 2.2L (e16a) PCM. I took it upon myself to "petition" every tuning company I could find to get some interest and show the support for this tuning.

Well the time came & went, and I now own a 2007 Aura XR 3.6L (e67 ECM).
What does this story have to do w/ my post? well EFILive was by far the most professional and up-front, as well as knowledgeable, tuner company that I spoke w/ regarding the e16a.

However, I am now looking at getting a tuning suite for my Aura, and am considering my options.

What does EFILive have to say is the reasoning for their 50% higher (in the case of the Standard) and their 15% higher (in the case of pro) prices vs HPTuners similar offerings supporting the E67?

I'd prefer not to deal with HPT, but am wary that it's worth $250 or $100 (respectively)

Could somebody enlighten me as to what I'd be getting w/ FlashScan v2 that I wouldn't get w/ VCM Suite?

Thanks!

TAQuickness
November 28th, 2007, 07:29 AM
That's a good question Bc3tech. I haven't personally tried reading/writing to an Acura with an e67, so you might want to verify it works before spending the $$$.

Beyond comparing the facts, as it sounds as if you've done a good deal of research on, you'll need to weigh in your personal opinion of the two products and companies to decide which is best for you.

bc3tech
November 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
That's a good question Bc3tech. I haven't personally tried reading/writing to an Acura with an e67, so you might want to verify it works before spending the $$$.

Beyond comparing the facts, as it sounds as if you've done a good deal of research on, you'll need to weigh in your personal opinion of the two products and companies to decide which is best for you.
not an acura.... Aura.... Saturn Aura... :D

TAQuickness
November 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Duh. Believe it or not, I can read :D

GMPX
November 28th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Well, I think what we should do is try to let some of our customers who have used both tuning suits to highlight the differences. A salesman can tell you whatever you want to hear ;) , customers tell the truth.

As for your Saturn, yes that is a supported vehicle. Out of interest, I had an experience with a Buick Enclave and the 3.6L, you will be very happy with the improvements you will be able to make to the factory tune.

The E16a is still a weird thing!

Cheers,
Ross

P.S - I 'saw' Acura too!

wait4me
November 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I second that 3.6 tuning. They where miserable from the factory. We rented a buick on our way from vegas to california and had lots of fun playing. MAJOR power increase and mileage went up about 2mpg without even trying hard. Ross had a little too much fun. :)

As for why it is more expensive? The hardware is VERY advanced compaired to all the other guys. It has built in smarts, storage, lcd screen, code reader, handheld programming capabilites ect.. the list goes on and on. Not counting all the other stuff you get for free also like custom os systems and patches and no charge to tune transmissions when you lock to the pcm.

ScarabEpic22
November 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Hahaha, you guys tuned a rental? Ive been thinking about doing that, but you have streams so it doesnt cost you what it would me.

I looked at HPT before buying EFILive for my P10 LL8. It was the ugly duck no one wanted to touch for many years, but when they finally went to work, I looked at the hardware (still V1 last year) and the software (couldnt check out the HPT one firsthand, but did look at screenshots) and decided I liked EFILive's stuff a little better. I didnt really pay much attention to things like COS and OS patches, but they are free with EFILive vs a credit or two with HPT.

Download EFILive and play with an E67 file, see if you like it and go from there.

bc3tech
November 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM
so custom OS's are free w/ EFILive? that's a huge thing i think.... i know lots of ppl want to do more w/ HPT on the LSJ and LE5 platforms but aren't able to because there are no custom OS's for them or something of that sort.

how would i go about d/ling EFIlive and looking at an e67 log w/o having any of the other stuff?

dc_justin
November 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM
so custom OS's are free w/ EFILive? that's a huge thing i think.... i know lots of ppl want to do more w/ HPT on the LSJ and LE5 platforms but aren't able to because there are no custom OS's for them or something of that sort.

how would i go about d/ling EFIlive and looking at an e67 log w/o having any of the other stuff?

The HPTuners scan tool is pitiful by comparison. I've tried and tried and tried to get a hang of it helping out some friends with their stuff, but it is extremely limited in functionality.

Is the HPT standard cable capable of working with CAN based controllers? I thought it was similar to the V1 in vehicle tuning capabilities.

GMPX
November 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM

I'll just clarify, custom OS's from us (and HPT I guess) only are available for certain platforms. For us we offer free custom OS's for -
LS1
LS2
LB7
LLY
Custom O.S's take a lot of R&D time, it's hard to explain to somebody desperate to tune a 2.4L with 3 bar of boost that a custom OS to support that on some weird controller isn't going to happen.

FYI, the E38 & E67 controllers are boost friendly from factory, so there is no concerns there.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
November 28th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hahaha, you guys tuned a rental? Ive been thinking about doing that, but you have streams so it doesnt cost you what it would me.

It needed it, no PE mode, no timing, it was dreadful. The trans needed some major working too, but we left that alone.
It's not something I would normally want to do, but when the pedal needs to be on the floor just to keep up with the traffic on the highway up a slight grade....it had to be done.
I actually said to Jesse, I think the pedal position PID must be wrong on the E67 because it says you are at 85% going up this 'shight' hill.......to which he replied 'I am'.
I didn't want to play with the cam phasing on it, but it was very interesting looking at the values that were being logged.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
November 28th, 2007, 08:32 PM
It needed it, no PE mode, no timing, it was dreadful. The trans needed some major working too, but we left that alone.
It's not something I would normally want to do, but when the pedal needs to be on the floor just to keep up with the traffic on the highway up a slight grade....it had to be done.
I actually said to Jesse, I think the pedal position PID must be wrong on the E67 because it says you are at 85% going up this 'shight' hill.......to which he replied 'I am'.
I didn't want to play with the cam phasing on it, but it was very interesting looking at the values that were being logged.

Cheers,
Ross

I bet it did, drove an 08 Pontiac Grand Prix in CA for Thanksgiving, has the 3.8L V6 which moves it pretty well. But, it felt like we were going a lot faster than in my truck, then i looked at the speedo and it was a lot slower. Pedal feel was crap, trans was decent but there was a lot of room for improvement. Ive put the stock tune back in my truck to test it, and within about 15min Im reflashing my real tune as I cant stand it.

The cam phasing values are weird, as in hard to interpret or changing a lot? No PE mode at all? Or just parameters set so high they'd never be reached? Did you leave it tuned, or put it back to stock? If you left it, the next people are going to like it...:wave: :master:

Edit:
Changed to proper car from Trans Am to Grand Prix.:bash:

GMPX
November 28th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I bet it did, drove an 08 Pontiac Trans Am in CA for Thanksgiving, has the 3.8L V6 which moves it pretty well.

You are asking for a million Emails saying an 08 TransAm!

The cam phasing values are weird, as in hard to interpret or changing a lot? No PE mode at all? Or just parameters set so high they'd never be reached? Did you leave it tuned, or put it back to stock? If you left it, the next people are going to like it...:wave: :master:

PE was there, but it was on a 10 second timer with 97% Throttle to enable. I suspect they might have been relying on Cat Protection to finally kick in. GM have done this before on some GenIII trucks. But, before we dismis them as fools, I am sure they had their reasons.
Did we return it to stock?, lets just say the guy who buys one after renting it will be pissed. :muahaha:
I think one of those with some forced induction would be a nice ride.

Cheers,
Ross

P.S - Sorry bc3tech, we have sort of drifted off topic.

TAQuickness
November 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM

You beat me to it.

bc3tech - you can download the EFILive software here (http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx). And you can download tunes here. (http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/)

Garry
November 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM
We rented a buick on our way from vegas to california and had lots of fun playing.
Wow ... and guys gave me cudos for taking the rental on the Quartermile in FL on my last vacation ... :notacrook: :D

bc3tech
November 29th, 2007, 04:55 AM
thanks for all the information guys.

Previously I had a 2004 Saturn Ion 2.2L ecotec (e16a) w/ a procharger on it. without any good method of tuning i got a 60% increase over stock in HP pushing only about 10psi and landed at 188whp. I could've hit 220's if i'd have had some tuning.

The procharger (c-1 unit) is now gone, but the Aura's definitely a candidate for the future in my mind. I want to wait until at least SOME of the warranty's up, though :D

ScarabEpic22
November 29th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Sorry, I get the Pontiac models confuddled all the time, meant to say Grand Prix. Was thinking about my friend's Grand Am and forgot the bigger was the Grand Prix.

PE was there, but it was on a 10 second timer with 97% Throttle to enable. I suspect they might have been relying on Cat Protection to finally kick in. GM have done this before on some GenIII trucks. But, before we dismis them as fools, I am sure they had their reasons.
Did we return it to stock?, lets just say the guy who buys one after renting it will be pissed. :muahaha:
I think one of those with some forced induction would be a nice ride.

Cheers,
Ross

P.S - Sorry bc3tech, we have sort of drifted off topic.

Yea, I can see how that would never let PE kick in.

Sorry for the off-topic replies bc3tech...:cheers:

NO 08 TRANS AM!!! Ok, just to clarify that so people dont go crazy.