PDA

View Full Version : Can't do FS firmware update

Chevy366
December 2nd, 2007, 04:07 AM
FS = Flash Scan , BBL = black box logging
O-k everything sounds good on paper , what about answers for the question of , "Why we are not able to update the FS firmware (not FS BBL firmware) ." ?
I figured out for myself that you can press the "crtl>cancel" for reboot and by passes the locked screen.

Tried updating FS firmware through EFILive Explorer and get error $0023 (I know you are not to use the EFILive Explorer to update the FS firmware just FS BBL firmware just thought I would try it ) .
The "read me" states to put the FS into "dead-poll mode" to do FS firmware update . Then do the FS BBL firmware (different firmware) through the EFILive Explorer program .
Like myself and someone else stated the FS firmware software will not see the V2 FS or the V2 FS will not go into "dead-poll mode" (ctrl button held and inserting USB into port , ctrl button seems to have lost response to being pressed and when you do get the LEDs to start flashing for "dead-poll mode" the software will still not see the FS unit) and will not allow it to be updated (not the BBL firmware through EFILive Explorer) .
The firmware in question is FSProg_V2_4_69.ffw .
The "crtl" button has worked up until last update .
FS firmware no can do , FS BBL firmware can do .
(simplified version) FS hold "crtl" plug USB no work , FS hold "crtl" plug USB , yeah , get flashing orange LEDs , FS software no program , FS programmer no can recognize FS unit .
Not trying to be rude just covering all bases .

badsi
December 2nd, 2007, 05:36 AM
I am also having the same problem. Also can't flash ecm.

TAQuickness
December 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=59425&postcount=21

If memory serves, one of the readme's the beta testers were presented said that once the last FS firmware was applied, specifically to upgrade the boot block, all future firmware upgrades would be done with EE.

Chevy366
December 2nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
EFILive Black Box Logging Beta Release

December 01, 2007

WARNING
This software update is a beta release and may be unstable. It may fail or cause unexpected results. DO NOT install or use this beta software on a production system or on any system where failure cannot be tolerated.

ATTENTION
Once the Black Box Logging (BBL) update has been installed you cannot revert back to a previous version. During the update process you will be required to install a new boot-block into your FlashScan device. It is not possible to uninstall the new boot-block once it has been installed.

Before installing the software on your PC or laptop

Please make sure you have the latest V7.5 release software installed on your PC or laptop. You can download the V7.5 release here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6646 (free registration required)

We highly recommend updating to the latest calibration definition files available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6641 (free registration required)

Installing the software on your PC or laptop

If you are reading this file, then you have obviously unzipped the downloaded file(s). However, please take a moment to double check that you have unzipped the files into the correct locations.

EFILive_V751_027_69.zip should be unzipped into the folder:
\Program Files\EFILive\V7\ (overwrite existing files).

EFILive_V811_010_10.zip should be unzipped into the folder:
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\ (overwrite existing files).

If the V8 folder does not exist you must create it before you can unzip the file into it. Unzipping this file will cause a sub-folder called EFILive_Hapi to be created. (In case you're wondering, the term "Hapi" is an acronym for Hardware Application Programming Interface).

Upgrade the FlashScan firmware to V2.4.69

1. Connect FlashScan to your PC while holding down the Ctrl button on FlashScan's keypad. That will put FlashScan into dead-poll mode ready for reprogramming. (To exit dead-poll mode without reprogramming, disconnect and reconnect FlashScan without holding down the Ctrl button.)
2. Run the FlashScan Firmware Programmer from Windows:
Start menu->All Programs->EFILive V7->Update FlashScan V2 Firmware.
3. Load the FlashScan Firmware File:
\Program Files\EFILive\V7\FSProg_V2_4_69.ffw
4. Click the [Program] button and wait for FlashScan to restart.

Above in red is what will not work , with this Beta release !
Below was first Beta "Read Me" .

EFILive Black Box Logging Beta Release

November 23, 2007

WARNING
This software update is a beta release and may be unstable. It may fail or cause unexpected results. DO NOT install or use this beta software on a production system or on any system where failure cannot be tolerated.

ATTENTION
Once the Black Box Logging (BBL) update has been installed you cannot revert back to a previous version. During the update process you will be required to install a new boot-block into your FlashScan device. It is not possible to uninstall the new boot-block once it has been installed.

Before installing the software on your PC or laptop

Please make sure you have the latest V7.5 release software installed on your PC or laptop. You can download the V7.5 release here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6646 (free registration required)

We highly recommend updating to the latest calibration definition files available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6641 (free registration required)

Installing the software on your PC or laptop

If you are reading this file, then you have obviously unzipped the downloaded file(s). However, please take a moment to double check that you have unzipped the files into the correct locations.

EFILive_V751_025_68.zip should be unzipped into the folder:
\Program Files\EFILive\V7\ (overwrite existing files).

EFILive_V811_008_08.zip should be unzipped into the folder:
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\ (overwrite existing files).

If the V8 folder does not exist you must create it before you can unzip the file into it. Unzipping this file will cause a sub-folder called EFILive_Hapi to be created. (In case you're wondering, the term "Hapi" is an acronym for Hardware Application Programming Interface).

Upgrade the FlashScan firmware to V2.4.68

1.Connect FlashScan to your PC while holding down the Ctrl button on FlashScan's keypad. That will put FlashScan into dead-poll mode ready for reprogramming. (To exit dead-poll mode without reprogramming, disconnect and reconnect FlashScan without holding down the Ctrl button.)
2.Run the FlashScan Firmware Programmer from Windows:
Start menu->All Programs->EFILive V7->Update FlashScan V2 Firmware.
3.Load the FlashScan Firmware File:
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\FSProg_V2_4_68.ffw
4.Click the [Program] button and wait for FlashScan to restart.

So do you need the V2.4.69 firmware or is it not needed with the current BBL firmware ?
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6752&page=2 , POST #18

badsi
December 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
The message says:

Flashscan V2 not in dead poll mode.
The orange lights are blinking and it still will not let you upgrade the firmware with the firmware programmer. EFILive Explorer BBL firmware upgrade worked fine. I also can't flash my ecm without the flashscan firmware. It says I need at least 2.4.57 or later, and that I have 10.5.2.

Garry
December 3rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
OK, just to clarify:

- you did the original 2.4.something flash update with the regular (old) Flash program
- you did chose to upgrade the bootblock ON THE V2 UNIT (see the readme file for the key sequences)
- you used the EFILive Explorer to update the Firmware

Is this where you are right now?

Chevy366
December 3rd, 2007, 03:42 AM
A "read me" is kind of like a set of instructions , so a moron I am but I can read , if you don't want people asking why , then don't include it .
We (general public) are not in the little click that runs on here , so we (general public) can't read your minds and are not privy to the same info as the secret site for stream owners .
Why include a different firmware version for the FS unit if it is not needed , and say nothing in the "read me" to that effect ?
I am not to thrilled at the EE reading the contents of my drives , reading EFILive data and making a tree is o-k but not the whole contents of the drive . :mad:

Gil

Chevy366
December 3rd, 2007, 04:56 AM
OK, just to clarify:

- you did the original 2.4.something flash update with the regular (old) Flash program Yeah that's it .
- you did chose to upgrade the bootblock ON THE V2 UNIT (see the readme file for the key sequences) Yeah that one to .
- you used the EFILive Explorer to update the Firmware Yeah that was it .

Is this where you are right now? Yep , sure enough .
Already did the first FS and FS BBL firmware and boot block flash .
Let me do this as simple as possible , do you need the Flash Scan FSProg_V2_4_69.ffw .
Yes or no ?

Garry
December 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
No.

Chevy366
December 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
No.
Thanks !

Initial features/options that need beta testing feedback:

1. When FlashScan is connected to the vehicle, does it cause any detectable, abnormal behavior of other modules? I.e. do any alerts display on the DIC? Do any alarms/chimes sound? None encountered
2. When connecting FlashScan to a vehicle (ignition on) does FlashScan detect the right protocol; CAN or VPW that is display in the lower right corner of FlashScan's screen? Yes
3. When connecting FlashScan to a vehicle (ignition off) can FlashScan successfully retrieve VIN and OS info once the ignition has been turned on (without re-plugging FlashScan)? Yes
4. The BB Logging frame-count display is followed by a zero in parenthesis (0). The value is the number of frames backlogged in the frame buffer that have not been processed. Please tell us of any situation where that value does not return to zero within about 4-5 seconds of becoming non-zero. That indicates that FlashScan is not keeping up with the data from the vehicle.N/A
5. If DTC’s with freeze frame data exist, please record the freeze frame data and send the recorded freeze frame data files to EFILive. There are a number of PIDs that are not yet defined for some freeze frames. Sending the files to us will help us to complete the freeze frame definitions.N/A
6. Please check that when an SD card is inserted, the letters “SD” are displayed in the bottom left of FlashScan’s screen. The “SD” will only appear (or disappear) after a key is pressed. Yes
Get the same version error as everyone else , 10.5.2 .

Blacky
December 4th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I am not to thrilled at the EE reading the contents of my drives , reading EFILive data and making a tree is o-k but not the whole contents of the drive . :mad:

Gil

What does that mean?

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
December 4th, 2007, 04:33 AM
The EE tree encompasses the whole drive , it displays all information of the drive there in .
What does EE need with say "My Pictures" or Games installed on the computer ?
Windows is hard enough to keep secure without a added security risk .
Displaying any file extension or folders related to EFILive , .tun , .cal , .pmm , .efw , ....etc , is fine .

Gil

I love the concept of EE just wish it would point to EFILive related folders , info , and not everything else .

dc_justin
December 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM
The EE tree encompasses the whole drive , it displays all information of the drive there in .
Displaying any file extension or folders related to EFILive , .tun , .cal , .pmm , .efw , ....etc , is fine .

Gil

I love the concept of EE just wish it would point to EFILive related folders , info , and not everything else .

And how is that different from ANY other software program's ability to access hard drive information?

Do you really believe that the folks at EFILive are interested in the contents of your hard drive and documenting all that information to report back to the mothership?

All of this time spent developing the software and disassembling calibrations was actually just a ruse. A charade in order to get ahold of your family photos.

eboggs_jkvl
December 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I'm not sure but it may have to do with the area or PC being used. IF it is a PC that is used in a shop, it may be a temptation for users to browse other areas of the PC rather than stay on task and tune. Being this is my personal laptop and only used by me, it doesn't mean squat that the rest of my PC is in view but at work, it may be detrimental to my personal information being on display.

Having said that, it was purely a guess as to the real meaning of his comment.

Also having said that, note that I'm not upgrading to BBL until ALL of the bugs are worked out. I suck at this stuff and I'd just be sitting there dumb and stupid until all of you smart folk figured it all out and then got me updated to work again. I'll stay on V2 a zillion layers back until all is ready.

Elmer

Hyper99
December 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
It's a beta release.

I'm sure that once the functional issues are resolved Paul could make the EE default to the working directory (Location of the Efilive_HAPI folder.)

Personally, I would rather see LC-1 stuff get done sooner before having stuff like this take up his time. :eek:

Blacky
December 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Gil

An option so that EE starts up in a pre-determined folder is planned, but it will not restrict the user from browsing back up to the root folder. It will just be a convenience.

It's not that EE needs/want access to "My Pictures" or Games, its just that the user using EE may want to save/open files to/from those places (any places - including network drives). It's not EE's job to predict/restrict the user to a certain subset of folders. EE gives the user freedom to put files *anywhere*.

EVERY software program that allows you to open a file and that uses the standard windows Open File dialog boxes, will allow you to search the entire contents of the PC's drive(s) and networks. Unless artificially restricted by the developer.

I know for a fact that if I did restrict the EFILive_Explorer to a certain subset of folders, the first 10,000 support request would be to remove the restriction.

In the current version of EFILive (and almost all other software on the planet) you can browse the entire hard drive when you are opening or saving a file.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
December 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
And how is that different from ANY other software program's ability to access hard drive information?

Do you really believe that the folks at EFILive are interested in the contents of your hard drive and documenting all that information to report back to the mothership?

All of this time spent developing the software and disassembling calibrations was actually just a ruse. A charade in order to get ahold of your family photos.
Very funny dude .
Chill !

TAQuickness
December 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Very funny dude .
Chill !:confused:

An option so that EE starts up in a pre-determined folder is planned...

User definable? ;)

Chevy366
December 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
An option so that EE starts up in a pre-determined folder is planned, but it will not restrict the user from browsing back up to the root folder. It will just be a convenience. That sounds like a good deal .

It's not that EE needs/want access to "My Pictures" or Games, its just that the user using EE may want to save/open files to/from those places (any places - including network drives). It's not EE's job to predict/restrict the user to a certain subset of folders. EE gives the user freedom to put files *anywhere*. I see your concept , but grouping files and restricting to EFILive folders is not bad .

EVERY software program that allows you to open a file and that uses the standard windows Open File dialog boxes, will allow you to search the entire contents of the PC's drive(s) and networks. Unless artificially restricted by the developer.

I know for a fact that if I did restrict the EFILive_Explorer to a certain subset of folders, the first 10,000 support request would be to remove the restriction.

In the current version of EFILive (and almost all other software on the planet) you can browse the entire hard drive when you are opening or saving a file. I am aware of that fact and the EE is not saving a file it is default opening access to the drive , cumbersome having to drill down to the EFILive folders .

Regards
Paul
I was not trying to be rude , just stating my opinion .
I know I have a bad mark on this site seeing I don't care for one of your supporters (Xtreme Horsepower , Arvil Brothers) , maybe it would be best if someone bought back my EFILive equipment and I go somewhere else .
I don't want to sell the unit , because I can see potential in the unit and company but it seems some are hostile towards me .

Chevy366
December 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure but it may have to do with the area or PC being used. IF it is a PC that is used in a shop, it may be a temptation for users to browse other areas of the PC rather than stay on task and tune. Being this is my personal laptop and only used by me, it doesn't mean squat that the rest of my PC is in view but at work, it may be detrimental to my personal information being on display.

Elmer
Correct !

Chevy366
December 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM
It's a beta release.

I'm sure that once the functional issues are resolved Paul could make the EE default to the working directory (Location of the Efilive_HAPI folder.)

Personally, I would rather see LC-1 stuff get done sooner before having stuff like this take up his time. :eek:
I agree (LC,M-1) , was just a comment , not a demand !

Chevy366
December 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Man just forget I said anything , not worth it , life is to short .

Blacky
December 4th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Wow, all that went over my head.

There's no black marks against anyone - honest. That is not how I (or EFILive) operate. Ross and Andrew and I are just regular guys trying to build a great product. We don't have the time or the inclination to get involved in any issues between customers. If any EFILive customer has an issue with any other EFILive customer that is none of EFILive's concern. We certainly would not treat any customers less well even if we knew that there were issues between them. In fact we'd probably go out of our way to work closer with those customers.

All comments in this thread have been taken on board. I had never ever considered the point of view that you presented - sort of caught me by surprise. I don't think anyone is going out of their way to be negative, its just the nature of a discussion board. Some will agree some will disagree. The really important part is that everyone is saying why they think what they do and that is a very good thing.

I always read posts on this board with the following attitude... Never, ever attribute to malice or deceit what can normally be attributed to lack of information or mis-communication.
:cheers:

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
December 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Wow, all that went over my head.

There's no black marks against anyone - honest. That is not how I (or EFILive) operate. Ross and Andrew and I are just regular guys trying to build a great product. We don't have the time or the inclination to get involved in any issues between customers. If any EFILive customer has an issue with any other EFILive customer that is none of EFILive's concern. We certainly would not treat any customers less well even if we knew that there were issues between them. In fact we'd probably go out of our way to work closer with those customers.

All comments in this thread have been taken on board. I had never ever considered the point of view that you presented - sort of caught me by surprise. I don't think anyone is going out of their way to be negative, its just the nature of a discussion board. Some will agree some will disagree. The really important part is that everyone is saying why they think what they do and that is a very good thing.

I always read posts on this board with the following attitude... Never, ever attribute to malice or deceit what can normally be attributed to lack of information or mis-communication.

Regards
Paul
I to am just a regular guy as well , and glad to hear that no black marks are incurred here .

It was just my observation , I did not intend to elicit such comments as well .

Glad to see such dedication and love of ones product .

Perhaps one comment was directed at a individual whom in the past has gone out of their way to antagonize me .

Sorry and please forgive my humble self .

:cheers: Back at you and many more !

joecar
December 5th, 2007, 06:33 AM
lol... I go and get some sleep and look what happens... :D

As moderator, I'm on here several times everyday, and I don't see any black marks... everyone seems to get along (...unless I missed something...)... if anyone has a complaint, they can plainly state it and it will be addressed in some manner;

Don't get troubled if someone makes pointed comments, they obviously don't understand what life is about... if they persist, they will be asked to behave appropriately......

Also consider that written text may not correctly convey the emotion/attitude of the writer... what may seem like bad attitude may simply be "being of few words" or "being in a hurry" (...as happens to me alot...) [pasting a smiley helps :)]

Gil, we don't want you to feel bad and I hope we can help in any manner that we can.

Cheers and Regards,
Joe

Chevy366
December 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM
lol... I go and get some sleep and look what happens... :D

As moderator, I'm on here several times everyday, and I don't see any black marks... Sorry must have spilled over form another forum. everyone seems to get along (...unless I missed something...)... if anyone has a complaint, they can plainly state it and it will be addressed in some manner;

Don't get troubled if someone makes pointed comments, they obviously don't understand what life is about... if they persist, they will be asked to behave appropriately......

Also consider that written text may not correctly convey the emotion/attitude of the writer... what may seem like bad attitude may simply be "being of few words" or "being in a hurry" (...as happens to me alot...) [pasting a smiley helps :)]

Gil, we don't want you to feel bad and I hope we can help in any manner that we can.

Cheers and Regards,
Joe
Thanks Joe ,

I don't feel bad , no hard feelings at all to anyone .
I vent , I am done , I move on , next .
:cheers: :notacrook:

Must have drank to much Kool-Aid , waiting for the mother ship . :D

Gil