PDA

View Full Version : New RR wont start the car

ntae
December 13th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Hi has any one come across this problem with a RR

Its new unused , you flash the tune & OS in , hit the ? button and the loaded file is the same as in the chip , but when you read out the tune there is a checksum error on the OS (using OS3 or stock OS ) . the car wont start ( have tryed VATS off ) , when you turn it on ,the fuel pump does not prime for as long as it should

any one got any things i should try before i send it back

Geoff

limited cv8r
December 14th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I've had an RR do a similar thing. After countless times of flashing in tunes,disabling vats, USB or bluetooth,car would not start,fuel pump would only give a short prime(will do the same even with no PCM installed). Install stock PCM,start fist time. Pulled RR apart several times, on the final dissasembly I noticed that two of the feet from the header that connects the RR to the PCM where the flash chip used to be had broken the soldered joints. Re-soldered feet back onto PCM circuit board, fitted RR back to car, all good. Don't know if this will help you, just my experience.

TAQuickness
December 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM
You might try contacting Craig also

ntae
December 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Any one know if i remove the RR and refit it to another pcm will i need a new license

Geoff

limited cv8r
December 14th, 2007, 11:46 AM
You should be able too,after all you can just buy the DIY RR install kit and install into any PCM, so I believe the license is RR specific,not PCM. If it is new though I would be chasing some warranty. I will admit that I got very poor support from Craig on my own RR issue,replied to my initial request for help,but no response to any further E-mail after that,was left to sort it out myself. I too was contemplating swapping the RR to another PCM.

joecar
December 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Any one know if i remove the RR and refit it to another pcm will i need a new license

GeoffGeoff, if you're going to flash it, yes it will use a new license, unless you use a PCM you previously already licensed.

ntae
December 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM
dont know what i did but is now working

may of been the solder

thanks all

Biggsy
December 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Geoff, if you're going to flash it, yes it will use a new license, unless you use a PCM you previously already licensed.

Doesn't the RR board plug into the place of the flash chip?

You would have to desolder the flash chip in another PCM, solder in a header pin in place and then plug the RR board to the header.
If the RR board has a flash chip installed on it, another license will not have to be used.

Biggsy
December 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
dont know what i did but is now working

may of been the solder

thanks all

Good to hear, wouldn't hurt to open up and have a bit of a squiz at the connections.
Mabe the header plug came loose in transport?

joecar
December 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Doesn't the RR board plug into the place of the flash chip?....:doh:I misread his question... I thought/misread he meant if you fit another PCM in there instead of the RR, but my comprehension skills failed me... please ignore my post (I'm having a "day")...

Good job, he got it working... :cheers:

Biggsy
December 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Thats ok, we all get those days!
:cheers:

GMPX
December 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Good to hear, wouldn't hurt to open up and have a bit of a squiz at the connections.
Mabe the header plug came loose in transport?

Yeah, I've fixed two of them like that :Eyecrazy:
Geoff, also make sure the IGN is on when doing it, my old RR (original design PCB) will not flash correctly unless it is also powered at the PCM side. Probably this is not an issue for you guys as 99% of the time it would be in a car, not on a bench.

Cheers,
Ross

mr.prick
December 18th, 2007, 11:22 AM
a hard reset might help

1) Connect the Roadrunner, and turn the vehicle ignition on or power the PCM on the bench. The PCM must be powered up for this to be effective.

2) Open up the software, and get the EFI Live Roadrunner Control Panel. Make sure the Roadrunner serial number is being displayed.

3) Upload the whole new Operating System and Calibration from the PC *.tun file to the Roadrunner device.

4) Select the "Execute from PCM Flash Memory (if equipped)" option (two chips with arrows in between). This will turn the Roadrunner emulation 'off' in order to blank out the PCM RAM when the memory read faults. The software should display 'Flash' as the mode of operation.

5) Re-select the button, this time selecting the 'Emulation' mode of operation.

6) Turn the key or power to the PCM off, wait 10 seconds, and turn it back on.

7) If you like, at this point you can open the EFI Live ScanTool software (make sure cable is connected and vehicle is on). You will probably want to scan for codes and DTCs, and clear them all as appropriate.

8) Start the vehicle briefly (1-2 seconds) and then shut power back off. This is primarily to reset the idle relearn, so it typically not an issue with the drive-by-wire configurations.

9) You should now be able to restart the PCM and vehicle, and things should work as expected if you are using a valid *.tun file.

ntae
December 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
As per post No 7

(dont know what i did but is now working

may of been the solder

thanks all)