PDA

View Full Version : M6 (Tremec T56) Gear PID?

Tordne
July 11th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Is there such a thing?

I'm wondering if there is a PID that can be used to tell what gear you are (or were) in on a Tremec T56 M6 transmission.

Thanks,

Blacky
July 11th, 2005, 08:54 AM
{GM.BOXRATIO} is the PCM's attempt to calculate the current gear ratio - based on transmission input speed (RPM) and transmission output speed (VSS). Obviously it won't be accurate when the clutch is pressed or the gearbox is in neutral.
And I've never tried reverse - interesting, I wonder what it would display.
I guess it would just display the reverse gear ratio - since the VSS pickup wouldn't know which way the drive shaft is spinning.

Regards
Paul

Tordne
July 11th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks Paul... I included this PID in my most recent outing, and the value remains at 0 (never moves).

I am running custom OS # 01290001.

I also notice that both the GM.RUELREM PID stays at zero also. Is this only for specific vehicles/OS's, or should it hold valid data?

Cheers,

GMPX
July 11th, 2005, 04:12 PM
The Gear Ratio PID appears to be grabbed from a different area to say, where the gear ratio is used in the RPM limiters. It may very well be that the Gear Ratio PID is only valid for an Auto.
Having said that, there is no problem adding a DMA PID to report the gear ratio, but it seems a waste of 2 channels just to report the gear ratio.

As for Fuel Remaining, that will not come up on all vehicles, it's only valid if the fuel tank sender goes via the PCM, which on Holdens upto VYII it did not.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
July 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I could have sworn I logged the box ratio on my M6 and it logged correctly.
I will try it again when I eventually get it back.

Paul

Tordne
July 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Your right Ross, two channels does seem a little expensive for this feature. Was just interested to know if it was possible. It would have made it easy to see what gear you were in at a given point. I'll just have to match up rpm vs. speed, no problem.

How do the Holden's with the 3 panel LCD dash work out how much fuel is remaining etc? I thought that would have come through some of these PIDS?

Cheers,

GMPX
July 11th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I could have sworn I logged the box ratio on my M6 and it logged correctly.
I will try it again when I eventually get it back.

Paul

It may have Paul, I was looking at VX 12225074 code.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
July 11th, 2005, 08:15 PM
How do the Holden's with the 3 panel LCD dash work out how much fuel is remaining etc? I thought that would have come through some of these PIDS?

The PCM sends out an instantaneous fuel usage message to the dash, the dash also monitors the fuel level, that's how that works.

Here's a thing, don't believe your distance to go, I did one day, I had 40kms to empty, and a 4km walk to a servo :cry:
Now, I ONLY watch the fuel used indicator, that seems spot on, though with fuel at $1.20 per liter it's also a bit depressing. I think one of those Toyota Electric cars might make a really good daily driver soon. Save the LS1 for weekend fun only.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
July 11th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Here's a thing, don't believe your distance to go, I did one day, I had 40kms to empty, and a 4km walk to a servo :cry:
Now, I ONLY watch the fuel used indicator, that seems spot on, though with fuel at $1.20 per liter it's also a bit depressing. I think one of those Toyota Electric cars might make a really good daily driver soon. Save the LS1 for weekend fun only.

Had a similar thing. I had made some changes to the car, ad had been doing mostly open road driving. Then I was confined to the city for a while, the car said it had 14kms to go... I was lucky, I thought I had better stop for gas on the way home and it cut out as I pulled up to the fuel pump :shock:.

Where does your "fuel used indicator" come from, is that on the dash? I only have the single LCD window in my car.

Cheers,

GMPX
July 11th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Where does your "fuel used indicator" come from, is that on the dash? I only have the single LCD window in my car.

Cheers,

I have a 3 LCD cluster, it's only on them.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
July 12th, 2005, 06:39 AM
I knew you were going to say that...

I actually tried getting a 3 LCD dash (from a wreckers - they are like $1200 new), but realised that the mileage is actually stored in the dash module. Really didn't want to add another 20000 kms to the car just for a dash.

Cheers,

joecar
July 12th, 2005, 06:57 AM
To get long life from your in-tank fuel pump (which is cooled by being immersed), I suggest never letting your tank go below 1/4 full.
If you can help it.

Tordne
July 12th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Oops...

I always run mine right down, I like to life dangerously! It's like a silly personal game of chicken with the car :D

joecar
July 12th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Of course, it is alot of fun dropping your tank to replace the fuel pump... :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also, it gives you a perfectly reasonable excuse to buy more tools.

Tordne
July 12th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Good point... Chicken game over.

I'll just have to full up every 3 days instead of 5.

As an aside, man, the price of petrol down here (NZ) at the moment is ridiculous. It's around the $1.40 per litre (for 98 octane). What's the price like up in the US?

joecar
July 12th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Around US$2.60/gallon in So. Calif., and poised to go up.
It hit US$2.95 a few months back.
It was well under US$2.00 two years ago.
Other states are cheaper.
It's still cheaper than AUS or NZ, but it is increasing too sharply.

joecar
July 12th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Of course, it is alot of fun dropping your tank to replace the fuel pump... :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also, it gives you a perfectly reasonable excuse to buy more tools.

Actually, I'm serious about it being fun to pull your car apart... :D :D :D
You learn new things every time you do this.

SSpdDmon
July 12th, 2005, 11:25 PM
It's $2.45/gal. for 93 octane where I'm at. I guess that's like $0.65/liter??

GMPX
July 12th, 2005, 11:36 PM
It's $2.45/gal. for 93 octane where I'm at. I guess that's like $0.65/liter??

It's a sad day when you do start to think about not wanting to drive something with 5.7L because of the price of fuel, but, I actually sympathise more for those in Europe where the prices are even higher than what I am paying here in Aus.
Put yourself in my shoes, would your LS1 be as much fun if you were paying nearly $5/gal like I am!!.
Damn, what can we do about it??.

SinisterSS
July 13th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Do what I do - every morning when I pass the Honda Insight hybrid car on the interstate, I downshift into 3rd gear and stomp on it.

It's called flagrant American waste - on purpose, I waste all the fuel that Honda driving fool trys to save. Perhaps I should thank him for sacrificing his driving machine so that I can waste his saved fuel. In the end, it all balances out.

Automobiles are not transportation from Point A to Point B. They are works of art, status symbols and toys. Freaking imports have nearly ruined the American V8 gearhead culture. As the fuel sipping import sales go up, V8 populations will go down. Thus, the net effect is there will still be fuel for us true car lovers.

If gas were $10/gallon, I'd still floor it past that stupid electric car which in reality is a bigger cost to society with its nasty toxic battery packs, etc.

There's only so much oil left in the world; I'm going to use my fair share.

Did not Mad Max have the last of the blown interceptors in the land of no fuel? Seems to me it still ran just fine - be Max.... 8)

SinisterSS
July 13th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Interesting how we went from a T-56 PID to Mad Max in the span of a few threads eh?

Who is bringing beer for our next bench racing bs session? :lol:

joecar
July 13th, 2005, 07:36 AM
I get very little sleep every night (4 to 6 hours)...

so in the morning I want my car to wake me up (only 300+ hp will do that; LS1 qualifies);

I also want the right to lose traction at will... :lol: :lol: :lol:

and I do like metered (red/green light) freeway on ramps (tune your 1-2 and 2-3 firmness (aka tune tyre chirp));

I too floor it (induces downshift and lots of rpm) when I come up on a hybrid... :lol: :lol: :lol: yes, be Max.

oh, and that explains why we lost the topic of this thread...

Tordne
July 13th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Damn, I wish we had the vast open roads you folks in the US enjoy. Our roads are too narrow, and have too much traffic most of the time. It's often hard to even cuise at the speed limit (100kmh) during the day! So stoping on the gas would just put you into someones boot :(

joecar
July 13th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Damn, I wish we had the vast open roads you folks in the US enjoy. Our roads are too narrow, and have too much traffic most of the time. It's often hard to even cuise at the speed limit (100kmh) during the day! So stoping on the gas would just put you into someones boot :(

My typical drive to work each morning:
1. drive 1 mile down street to freeway on-ramp; good for warming up engine and trans;
2. freeway on-ramp is single-lane two-cars per green; 50% of the time I'm first so I nail it; some people can't read ("two cars per green");
3. 20 miles of 45-55 MPH with slow downs and/or stop-go; sometimes completely and utterly STOPPED (all 6 southbound lanes); yes, freeway indeed, groan...
4. 12 miles of toll road; consistently very FEW cars... $2.75 per direction using transponder;
speed limit is 65MPH; CHiP allows 70; most people do 80; some people hit 100 sometimes (watch out over 100: CHiP may permanently impound vehicle);
5. off-ramp has gentle right-hander;
6. street has 2 signals; second is good for 0-60 times;

I'm just trying to give you an idea :) :) :)
I'm not trying to rub it in, honest... ;).

Oh, and yes we're off the original subject again... :lol: :lol:

joecar
July 25th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Is there such a thing?

I'm wondering if there is a PID that can be used to tell what gear you are (or were) in on a Tremec T56 M6 transmission.

Thanks,

Andrew,
Do any of the following PIDs work for the M6 (or are they for the A4 only)...?
GM.BOXRATIO
GM.TOS
GM.TIS

Cheers,
Joe

Tordne
July 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Andrew,
Do any of the following PIDs work for the M6 (or are they for the A4 only)...?
GM.BOXRATIO
GM.TOS
GM.TIS

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe,

I tried the GM.BOXRATIO PID and basically (for me anyway) it never moved off a value of 0.

Haven't tried the GM.TIS or GM.TOS PIDS, I can try and log them and see what they do.

I'll give it a go tomorrow morning and report back.

Cheers,

Tordne
July 27th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Sorry, forgot to post yesterday... Values of 0 logged for both the GM.TIS and GM.TOS PIDS :cry:

joecar
July 27th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Sorry, forgot to post yesterday... Values of 0 logged for both the GM.TIS and GM.TOS PIDS :cry:
Andrew, too bad, there's no direct way to get your current gear ratio;

another way is to get VSS and convert it to revolutions/minute (taking axle ratio and tire circumference into account),
and then divide this into engine RPM and you have your gear ratio (easier said than done).
:D

Tordne
July 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM
All sounds too hard!

It would have been cool if it was as easy as selecting a PID (like it appears to be for an A4). But it isn't really that important. I just have to use mental arithmetic to work out what gear I would have been in given the VSS vs. RPM.

Cheers,

joecar
July 27th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Give me a day or two and I make you a calc_pids.txt file.

bK
July 27th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Andrew, too bad, there's no direct way to get your current gear ratio;

another way is to get VSS and convert it to revolutions/minute (taking axle ratio and tire circumference into account),
and then divide this into engine RPM and you have your gear ratio (easier said than done).
:D

I was thinking along the same line but in the sense to pick clutch slippage. This could work in both applications?

joecar
July 27th, 2005, 02:08 PM
In this example (wife's GAGT): axle ratio is 3.29, tyre diameter is 24.86" or 631.4mm.
Delete whichever of the two equations that you're not using.

# ================================================== ============================
# File details
# ------------
#
# This section defines various details about the file format.

*FILE

#Parameter Value Description
#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------
VERSION 7.1.1 File version
DECSEP . Decimal separator used in this file

# ================================================== ============================
# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS

#Code System Abbr Description
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------

None None "" "No units"

# Add slot definitions here
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#Units Low High Fmt Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-062
None -4.0 4.0 .3 "{SAE.RPM} / {SAE.VSS.mph} / 336.135 / 3.29 * 24.86"
None -4.0 4.0 .3 "{SAE.RPM} / {SAE.VSS.kph} / 5305.16 / 3.29 * 631.4"

*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------
CALC.RATIO F062 CLC-00-062 "None" Calculated "Calculated Box Ratio"