PDA

View Full Version : tuning for mpg

skneeland
December 21st, 2007, 03:43 AM
i was wondering if i could get some pointers to tune my wifes 2003 trailblazer for a little better mileage please.

i just finished tuning a friends LBZ and there was some nice info on the diesel pages ie; change this value to that, that value to this etc. ;)
after doing some searching for this engine all i could find was alot of vague references to "play with this", or "adjust that" & not really anything concrete

right now its stock except for a K&N filter, but i would like to delete the cat and put in a free flowing muffler. we run 87 all the time and cant see myself paying more for 91.

ive attached the stock tune file. any tips are appreciated, thanks.

ScarabEpic22
December 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM
Hey man, Ill look and see if I can tweak your tune a little, Im still playing heavily with the engine section on my 02 but have the trans shifting how I want. Do you want me to mess with the trans for ya?

Id be happy to help you and get you the spark and VE tables Im using, however I dont really care about mileage and have them setup for max performance. Still get 21mpg on the hwy at 75 though, 24-24.5 @ 65.

skneeland
December 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
any kind of input, especially field tested settings is great
mostly looking for some solid values to change that have worked for others.
i wont get a chance to test drive the TB much, so i dont want to mess with things by trial an error if i dont have to.

so far, i "think" i want to:
1 change settings so a cat delete wont set a MIL(which ones?)
2 reduce/eliminate Torque management (from what i can see theres 2 tables i can accomplish this from the engine controls{B2003},{B2004}, then a list of settings on the transmission side{D0801,2,3}, {D2004}, (D1116}?)
3 do i want to mess with timing when running 87 octane? which table? how much?
4 transmission abuse mode, mess with it?, what settings?
5 increase transmission pressures, 10%? 20%? {D0701,2,3}
6 shorten shift times {D1108,9,10}, change all that are >0 to 0.10?

*mostly for the transmission, i still want it to be civilized and not kick the rear end sideways on every shift since it is my wifes ride, but a little more S.O.T.P. feel when you floor it would be nice.*

7 DFCO, what to set values at for best MPG gain? (just when i think i understand it, i look at what someone else has set theirs at, then im back to square one)
8 set {B2100} to 1 so EGR never kicks in?
10 someday play with the cam settings when i know more about it
11 anything else i probably overlooked?

ScarabEpic22
December 22nd, 2007, 01:31 AM
OK man, Im doing some fam stuff today but started fixing your tune last night and will finish it up tonight. Leaving 15% TM in the trans and lowering the shift times, upping the LPs a little, removing the limiters, and then I need to do the spark and VE stuff.

skneeland
December 22nd, 2007, 03:16 AM
sweet, thanks for the help.
ill be away until after the new year, hopefully i can get back at it on the 2nd

skneeland
January 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
here is what i have come up with so far.
let me know if i missed anything based on my parameters above, or anything that could be improved on.

has:
-some minor timing mods
-egr disabled
-MIL turned off for cat. delete & egr
-tq management allmost zero
-DFCO settings changed
-5% increase to trans. pressures
-shortened shift times

questions should i set {D1997} to zero so that tq managment never kicks in?

ExtTB
January 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I disable my a/c around 2700-3000 but it is very flat in florida...gives nice accel boost

N0DIH
February 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I do similar on my 94 LT1, I disable AC with more than 50% throttle applied..... I tried to see if I could do it with around 25% throttle, which was ok in the summer until I got into heavy traffic, then I found I was without AC way too much... :) right around 50% is a nice amount and hardly ever noticable, and my wife never complained one bit...

quicksilverado
February 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
here is what i have come up with so far.
let me know if i missed anything based on my parameters above, or anything that could be improved on.

has:
-some minor timing mods
-egr disabled
-MIL turned off for cat. delete & egr
-tq management allmost zero
-DFCO settings changed
-5% increase to trans. pressures
-shortened shift times

questions should i set {D1997} to zero so that tq managment never kicks in?

Would this file work for a 02 trailblazer?

ScarabEpic22
February 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
It will be an OK starting point, I know my tune has been completely rewritten from the ground up since Dec. 07. Maybe 2x, I wasnt happy with the smoothness of it so I went back to scratch and started over.

Post your stock tune up, Ill make a few changes like I did above that will give you a good starting point.

quicksilverado
February 23rd, 2010, 01:28 AM
It will be an OK starting point, I know my tune has been completely rewritten from the ground up since Dec. 07. Maybe 2x, I wasnt happy with the smoothness of it so I went back to scratch and started over.

Post your stock tune up, Ill make a few changes like I did above that will give you a good starting point.

I will get the tune posted up later today. Thanks.

Cablebandit
February 23rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
here is Quicksilverados tune file to be edited. When finished modifying it you can email it to me at cablebandit@comcastDOTnet

http://mssftw.com/files/daves-stock-trailblazer_no-tq-mngmt-timing.tun

quicksilverado
February 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM
here is Quicksilverados tune file to be edited. When finished modifying it you can email it to me at cablebandit@comcastDOTnet

http://mssftw.com/files/daves-stock-trailblazer_no-tq-mngmt-timing.tun

Thanks for the help Jerry.

ScarabEpic22
February 24th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Ill work on it either tomorrow or friday, school's crazy thru tonight as its the week before midterms (with a c++ and java program plus a test) this week.

quicksilverado
February 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks Erik.

quicksilverado
February 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
How did your tests go Erik?

ScarabEpic22
February 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Alright, Ive got 3 or 4 people asking me to look at their tunes right now. Got a little behind keeping up with this stuff with school work, spending ~30hrs a week in the lab on 1 program.

quicksilverado
March 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Any time to look at the tunes yet?

ScarabEpic22
March 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Will in a few days, sorry man, but life's been hectic and I do this for fun not a business right now.

I know we all want the best tune for our trucks, but it takes time and patience (something I ran out of the last few days tuning my TBSS...)

quicksilverado
March 10th, 2010, 01:57 AM
No problem Erik. Take care of business first.

ScarabEpic22
March 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM
You have mail!

Make sure you log and check for knock in this tune, the spark tables are rough and are a general guideline of what they should be. But it will definitely shift better and feel a lot stronger now!

quicksilverado
March 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Got the tune Erik. I will get it loaded and do some logging. I really appreciate your help.