PDA

View Full Version : "Launch box" w/ COS?

Garry
December 23rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
I was wondering if something like this would be a worth-while project ...

In order to improve launching to be more consistent, I had the idea of using the COS' valet-mode. Set the valet-mode RPM limiter to a certain value. Add to that a little circuit that, when primed, enables the valet mode. Once the clutch is released, the circuit waits for a configurable amount of time to let the car get enough traction before disabling valet mode and thus allowing the full throttle response ...

Now, building the circuit is a $10 expense and an hour of soldering ... question is whether this idea is feasible ... and if so, where do I get a switch or sensor to hook up somehow with the clutch pedal ... using a manually operated switch would make the whole thing to complicated ...

Comments anybody?

5.7ute
December 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
With valet mode being a hard limiter I wouldnt like to be hitting it all the time.
I remember Oztrack was using burst knock as a sort of torque limiter for launching but I dont know how succesful it was.

Garry
December 23rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Well, it would be used exclusively for - say - 2-3 seconds at a time while preparing to launch at the tree ... wait for both staged, first yellow, punch the throttle, wait another half a second, release the clutch ... something like that ... should work, or?

Delco
December 24th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Well, it would be used exclusively for - say - 2-3 seconds at a time while preparing to launch at the tree ... wait for both staged, first yellow, punch the throttle, wait another half a second, release the clutch ... something like that ... should work, or?

You could use the nitrous input to take timing out on the launch for a set amount of time , the valet mode is too severe for a launch as it custs fuel , not a nice thing for any engine

Highlander
January 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
You could use the nitrous input to take timing out on the launch for a set amount of time , the valet mode is too severe for a launch as it custs fuel , not a nice thing for any engine

Well... I'd say.. .GO FOR IT.... I mean... Racelogic does traction control JUST like this... and they did it for the first time on a very powerful supra. I am doing this in my camaro... So... why not?

Delco
January 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Well... I'd say.. .GO FOR IT.... I mean... Racelogic does traction control JUST like this... and they did it for the first time on a very powerful supra. I am doing this in my camaro... So... why not?

Racelogic is a soft limiter , cuts one cylinder at a time for only one cycle and rotates it around the engine.

the std PCM cut is very severe and harmful

Highlander
May 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Well I stand corrected... I thought this was the way GM does it.
Can't this be changed for it to be an ETC limiter?