PDA

View Full Version : Good book on tech

Garry
December 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
I was wondering - could anybody recommend a good book on the basics of what all is involved in getting an engine running well? While I do believe I understood the basics as far as AFR/VE stuff, the next couple steps (stuff like timing/retard etc.) are still way over my head ...
Also, a good technical book on the LS1 that goes a bit further than what can be found in e.g. a Haynes F-Body manual would be nice ...

cmitchell17
December 25th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I just ordered Engine Management Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish Ive heard its a good and helpfull book.

Doc
December 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Good reading. Maybe not exactly what you were looking for but good stuff.

http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf

JAY4SPEED
December 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I just ordered Engine Management Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish Ive heard its a good and helpfull book.

I picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble this past weekend. Seems like its well written so far and since its published in 2007 the info is the most current of any tuning book I've read.

Jay

TAQuickness
December 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM

+1. I picked up a copy for grins and giggles. I'm about half way thru it and so far so good.

redhardsupra
December 27th, 2007, 01:47 AM
there's a whole list of them on tech, one is in pcm section, another in advanced, with topics appropriate to their sections

TAQuickness
December 27th, 2007, 02:22 AM
You might also click that link in RHS's signature

Garry
March 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM
Anything specific on LS1 engines that is worth getting on top of that general book?
And - anybody happen to know whether that book is available at any book store chains etc. in the US? I see Amazon has it for $16.50 ...

Garry
April 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Well, got the book (Amazon for less than $17 compared to the $24 or so sticker price), and already read it once ;) I must say, the author does explain the whole process and conditions that go into tuning very well! At least to a point where anybody should be able to understand what happens at AutoVE, and how to get the basics of the setup done, and especially what to watch out for!

TAQuickness
April 10th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Yes - he covers the general methodologies rather well.

jetblast
April 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
by jeff hartman= how to tune and modify engine management systems is a very good book too, has some great projects with great detailed info for each. will handzel= how to build ls1/ls6 v8s, it's specific to the 346 block only. reading a few books by far will solidify the information you get here from some very knowledgeable members. i'm a biginer.

joecar
April 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
jetblast, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

jetblast
April 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
jetblast, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

thank you, sir. glad to be here to learn.