PDA

View Full Version : Who runs a COS on a NA setup? Pros/Cons???

BlackGMC
January 1st, 2008, 06:16 AM
I am thinking of switching to a Custom Operating System and I would like to hear about peoples different opinions... A couple of reasons I want to do this. First trying to dial in the MAF is a huge PIA.... Running in Open Loop with PE feels so much better than normal Closed loop MAF... Also I want to command 15.5 in the cruise regions for some better MPG...

Chevy366
January 1st, 2008, 06:32 AM
I am thinking of switching to a Custom Operating System and I would like to hear about peoples different opinions... A couple of reasons I want to do this. First trying to dial in the MAF is a huge PIA.... Running in Open Loop with PE feels so much better than normal Closed loop MAF... Also I want to command 15.5 in the cruise regions for some better MPG...
Started with a OLSD tune to begin with , runs great (over a year now) , but no real gain over a MAF tune .
I run OLSD with out PE use the [B3647] for PE , [A0014] and [A0008] can be tricky to set up .

Try it nothing to lose , and quite easy to do .
I am sure dc_justin will set you straight .

BlackGMC
January 1st, 2008, 08:21 AM
I run OLSD with out PE use the [B3647] for PE , [A0014] and [A0008] can be tricky to set up .

I don't have those 3 tables in my stock tune.... Are those added when you upgrade to a COS?

BlackGMC
January 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM
Oh and do you need to adjust your tune for the various seasons? Like summer and winter? Here in texas summer can be like 100* then in winter is it like 40*...

TAQuickness
January 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
I've been running OLSD for about 2 years, and COS5 for about a year of that. The Alpha-N VE found in COS5 was what I needed to acheive a level of drivability that resembles OEM.

Chevy366
January 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
I don't have those 3 tables in my stock tune.... Are those added when you upgrade to a COS?
Yes .

Chevy366
January 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Oh and do you need to adjust your tune for the various seasons? Like summer and winter? Here in texas summer can be like 100* then in winter is it like 40*...
No , runs a shade better during the winter than the summer .
IAT temps better during winter .

joecar
January 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'v been running COS5 in OLSD on my stock '01 TA (headers only)... I don't really need to run a COS or OLSD, but it has been a good educational exercise, and I have gone from 17 MPG to 22 MPG.

It has been shown that SD and MAF produce the same TQ/HP... I don't disagree with that... TQ/HP depend on air, AFR and timing all of which can be made the same in SD or MAF modes.

I have found that throttle response seems to be quicker with SD... i.e. engine responds quicker to throttle transitions (which also seems to make the trans respond in a postive manner).

$0.02

Chevy366
January 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
I don't really need to run a COS or OLSD, but it has been a good educational exercise, and I have gone from 17 MPG to 22 MPG.

It has been shown that SD and MAF produce the same TQ/HP... I don't disagree with that... TQ/HP depend on air, AFR and timing all of which can be made the same in SD or MAF modes.

I have found that throttle response seems to be quicker with SD... i.e. engine responds quicker to throttle transitions (which also seems to make the trans respond in a postive manner).

$0.02
Very good summation (summarization :nixweiss: ) ! :cheers:

Biggsy
January 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I have found that throttle response seems to be quicker with SD... i.e. engine responds quicker to throttle transitions

I agree

BlackGMC
January 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys, look like COS3 will be in the works!!! I appreciate all the feedback, I am sure I will have some more questions.