PDA

View Full Version : Bootblock Upgrade????

duramaximizer
January 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM
I was prompted to do a bootblock upgrade and it has been flashing 2 orange lights for a while (like and hour) .

It says "IN PROGRESS DO NOT INTERUPT"

So how long will this take or is it done??:Eyecrazy:

Dennis93TA
January 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
If the Backlight turned off then i think it is done. At least that's the way I understood it when i did mine.

duramaximizer
January 2nd, 2008, 04:23 AM
Ok well now I have turned it off or unpluged it, and when I replugged it in, I still get 2 orange flashing lights and no display.

TAQuickness
January 2nd, 2008, 04:41 AM
I believe once the boot block has been updated you will need to apply a firmware before you can use V2 again.

What firmware are you trying to update to?

duramaximizer
January 2nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
The firmware I am trying to update to is FSProg_V2_4_70

But it won't let me do it and it keeps saying it's not in deadpoll mode and it won't go into dead pole mode.

It says I have V2.04.04 (build 35) right now.

No luck so far.

lakingslayer
January 2nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Can you read any info from the V2 using the E-Explorer?

duramaximizer
January 2nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
how does E Explorer get info from the V2? Explain?

I don't know, the screen just stays dead when I plug it in and I get 2 alternating orange flashing lights.

Dennis93TA
January 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I had to reload the usb drivers for mine to work.

lakingslayer
January 3rd, 2008, 06:01 AM
how does E Explorer get info from the V2? Explain?

I don't know, the screen just stays dead when I plug it in and I get 2 alternating orange flashing lights.

E Explorer = EFILive Explorer that comes with EFILive.

duramaximizer
January 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
I don't understand the E Explorer....is that the same as the EFI Live Icon? It seems to have nothing to do with the software it is the firmware.

Dennis93TA
January 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
it is in the V8 download. Then you have to go into the v8 folder and double click the icon.

you can find it here:
c:/ program files/ efilive/ v8/ efilive hapi/ efilive explorer

lakingslayer
January 4th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I don't understand the E Explorer....is that the same as the EFI Live Icon? It seems to have nothing to do with the software it is the firmware.

Did you read the Read Me.rtf file in this thread?
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7015

bobo
January 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'd start by reading the directions. If you can't read, don f****** touch it!

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE

Upgrade Bootblock
to V2.5.04?

Press [Yes]

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
The flash memory will
now be tested.
The test will take
5 min, continue?"

Press [Yes]

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
Flash memory test
SUCCESSFUL
Continue?

Press [Yes]

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
WARNING
Do not remove
power during the
upgrade process.

Press [Ok]

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
A successful upgrade
will be indicated by
alternate flashing
orange LEDs.

Press [Ok]

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
The upgrade process
CANNOT be undone.
Continue?

Press [Yes]

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
ARE YOU SURE?

Press [Yes]

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
IN PROGRESS
DO NOT
INTERRUPT
The upgrade process will take about 5 seconds to complete, then the screen backlight will be turned off (the text will still be visible) and the two orange LEDs will flash alternately to indicate dead-poll mode. Dead-poll mode means that FlashScan is waiting to be programmed with new firmware.

duramaximizer
January 7th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I did that.....but then it never told me what to do after it went into dead poll mode. It said Do not interrupt....so I didn't. So now it is stuck in the same dead poll mode everytime I plug it in, and it won't accept any firmware nor give the computer any info. And I am not hope now and won't be till friday late. But YES I can read even though the dialup I have at home takes 2 days to upgrade software.

duramaximizer
January 7th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Did you read the Read Me.rtf file in this thread?
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7015

I have read it, and it still doesn't make sense which it probably since those directions weren't out the day I done this. I just know it ask me right after I updated the firmware on the V2 if I wanted to do a bootblock upgrade and I hit yes and it has done nothing since.:bash:

duramaximizer
January 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM
it is in the V8 download. Then you have to go into the v8 folder and double click the icon.

you can find it here:
c:/ program files/ efilive/ v8/ efilive hapi/ efilive explorer

WHERE IS THE v8 FOLDER?

lakingslayer
January 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
See my Post #12. It has a readme file that explains how to install everything. Read and do the whole readme.rft file and follow the steps and you should be good to go.

Being this is beta releases there are more up to date files but the directions are the same.

duramaximizer
January 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Okay well V2 works.....AGAIN.....for now ... only to somehow lose 7.5. Since V8 doesn't work for loading tune. I am back to downloading that via dialup just so I can make the damned tunes open up.

I use to be impressed by EFI Live, but it is getting hard to be impressed when all the updates are such a struggle. :bash: :beer:

Dennis93TA
January 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
it will be for the better good

ctrockst
January 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
My FlashScan V2 has 2 flashing yellow lite that are alternating back and forth. I was trying to update the Boot Block to version 2.5.04. Now I can't talk to the unit with the Flahscan Ver 2 Programmer. I get an Error Message Flashscan is not in Dead-Poll mode. To enter Dead Poll mode, hold down Flashscan's Ctrl key when the FlashScan powered up. I've done that however no success entering into Dead Poll Mode. Any ideas on how to repair?

duramaximizer
January 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
ya you have to read post number 12 very well, and do what it says. PM me your phone number, and I will try and help you like bobo helped me. I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM But it is not a simple as everyone says, and I now that I have my V2 unit working, my software doesn't want to bring up my tunes. Go FIGURE. V7.5 disappeared and V8 won't work so I am up a creek without a paddle.

Dennis if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't touch a thing yet. If it works, let it alone. Just being honest.

ctrockst
January 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Do you remember the steps you went through to correct this problem and download the firmware? I just can't get my V2 to stop Flashing these two yellow LED lights to stop flashing. I installed the software on another computer and still no luck. Same thing, 2 yellow leds alternating and FlashScan V2 still reports the unit is still not in deadpoll mode. What is interesting is the 2nd computer saw the Flashscan V2 and installed the USB drivers. I looked at post number 12 I that's what steps I went through however the Flashscan still is locked up.

Dennis93TA
January 13th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Dennis if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't touch a thing yet. If it works, let it alone. Just being honest.

I feel ya, i got a 98 ls1 so i don't even know why i upgraded. Not like i will be able to benefit from it anytime soon.

TAQuickness
January 14th, 2008, 09:16 AM
It's very important to decide if you want to be a beta tester before you start beta testing! If you decide that you want to go the beta route, then you need to make sure you read all of the supplied documentation before you actually start applying beta software - this includes, instructions, readme's, forum post, etc... What you find in the documentation may change your mind about beta testing.

Sounds like both of you have applied the intial boot block upgrade, but are now stuck, or were stuck, on the part about applying the new V8 firmware. Once the boot block is upgraded you can no longer use the legacy V2 tools to apply firmware upgrades. You will have to start using EFILive_Explorer.

As per the documentation, the boot block upgrade is permanent and you can't go back to what you had before. I would highly recommend that you visit the V2 BBL beta forum and download the latest firmware and supporting documentation. Please read the documentation completely before applying the firmware. After you have read and are familiar with the documentation, you should be able to follow it step by step to apply, if necessary, the boot block, and then the BBL firmware update.

I'm moving this thread to the BBL Beta forum. If you still can't get it sorted, please post up and someone will get you on your way.

joecar
January 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM
+1 to what TA said.

If you want to run beta test code, you have to expect the possible pitfalls... this is what beta testing is all about -> finding and weeding out problems that don't occur on the developer's bench, and these problems may range from benign to severe or worse (V2, PCM, or PC/laptop may get messed up).

If your V2 earns you money, or if it's your customer's or friend's car, or if it's your daily driver (that you rely on to commute to/from work), or if you don't have a means to recover/replace the PCM, then you should seriously consider if you really want to do beta testing.

On a positive note, for some beta testers, it all goes well and they avoid falling into any holes.

joecar
January 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks to all beta testers (because they really are risking alot by sticking their necks and limbs out).

:cheers:

Dennis93TA
January 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Mine went smooth, i read everything on the readme file and followed it step by step. I like what you guys are going to. epecially the auto update, that is sweet. I just don't think i will benefit from it just yet.

duramaximizer
January 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I wanted the software...upgrades and tables the rest I didn't care about. When I went though the software upgrade, it had new firmware in it.....so I didn't think the firmware would be a beta version. Nor did I really want beta just LBZ stuff. Anyway I see new firmware.....so duhhh I load new firmware. Well Mr. V2 asks if I would like to do a bootblock upgrade....which I had never done, nor care to do again.....anyway, I say "yes" and yes and yes.......BTW all before there were the intructions etc etc that there are now. Otherwise I wouldn't have. So now I have the latest and greatest firmware and bootblock but it now I am limited to an icon with the "EFILiveV7_5.exe" on my desktop that won't let me do a damn thing.

If anyone can help me there, I would greatly appreciate it. It asks me if I want to run it, but then it can't access it or and it ask about downloading a repair or a new version, I have tried both, and can't get either option to get me any where. Once I get highspeed, I am deleting everything EFI Live related and going to try it again, so far, no luck on anything software related even on 7.5.3.

4DRSS
March 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM
**NEED HELP**

I have the latest bootblock and firmware (beta).. Went out to flash my E40/T42 a few minutes ago for a tire swap, now its dead, wont start..? :frown:

Blacky
March 16th, 2008, 01:14 PM
**NEED HELP**

I have the latest bootblock and firmware (beta).. Went out to flash my E40/T42 a few minutes ago for a tire swap, now its dead, wont start..? :frown:

Please see this thread:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=65191#post65191

Regards
Paul