PDA

View Full Version : Turning EGR Off Higher EGT's?

petestoy
January 7th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I have done some research on EGR and the general concenus out there is that if you turn EGR off that EGT's will actually climb? The argument is that you have more oxygen and higher cylinder temps due to no EGR cooling everything down. If this is true does anyone know how Much? If we are marginal to begin with due to a tune will this put us over?

Jasondt2001
January 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM
You know i changed a tune by JUST the egr setting (it went from on and i turned it off) and i noticed LOWER EGT's cruising down the freeway and in town believe it or not.

killerbee
January 14th, 2008, 04:28 AM
peak EGT's should not change any. The EGR is disabled at higher power output requirements.

LBZ
January 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
When cruising egt's will be lower.
I encourage all to block the egr, disable the egr, and shut off all of your egr DTC's.

Your engine will thank you.

LMMpioneer932
January 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
im new to this whole egr thing, on my lmm stock motor but efi live tune i turned the egr off, im not sure i did it correctly because as soon as i put the truck in drive it idles really low and wong go its almost like its limping or something and then as i think it "warms" up it drives really really well, the pickup is amazing but i just dont know why im having this problem..its almost like it has to warm up or something and then its fine, so i turned the egr back on to the stock settings and now its fine but its obviously slower, what can i do to the egr? is there something called a blocker plate? or do i take the thing off? thanks for the help

camcojb
January 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM
im new to this whole egr thing, on my lmm stock motor but efi live tune i turned the egr off, im not sure i did it correctly because as soon as i put the truck in drive it idles really low and wong go its almost like its limping or something and then as i think it "warms" up it drives really really well, the pickup is amazing but i just dont know why im having this problem..its almost like it has to warm up or something and then its fine, so i turned the egr back on to the stock settings and now its fine but its obviously slower, what can i do to the egr? is there something called a blocker plate? or do i take the thing off? thanks for the help

there's a blocker plate, and it's a real bear to install. If you turn it off in the tune you get the same thing as the blocker as long as you're running no more than 28 psi or so of boost. Beyond that it will blow the egr valve open, which is why the blocker plate came to be. How did you turn off your egr? Can you copy your egr parameters in the tune?

Jody

LMMpioneer932
January 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM
well im not sure if i turned it off correctly but it definlty improved the power by a shitload.. im gonna have to find a way to get that blocker plate installed but i hear everyone is having problems with getting it off. i might have done it wrong because at first it seems to go into unoffical limp mode for about 15 seconds and then its like it warms up or something and its fine, absolutly fine which is wierd no trouble codes or nothing i ran it pretty hard just in case and it seemed totally fine. but im really worried about the beginning because it definlty doesnt seem right that it should do that at the beggining, so i turned put the stock settings back and its 100% fine now im wondering what that is tho at the beggining it does seem right at all, and i want to know how to really turn it off, cuz i think i did it but not completly and thats why i had the problem

camcojb
January 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
well im not sure if i turned it off correctly but it definlty improved the power by a shitload.. im gonna have to find a way to get that blocker plate installed but i hear everyone is having problems with getting it off. i might have done it wrong because at first it seems to go into unoffical limp mode for about 15 seconds and then its like it warms up or something and its fine, absolutly fine which is wierd no trouble codes or nothing i ran it pretty hard just in case and it seemed totally fine. but im really worried about the beginning because it definlty doesnt seem right that it should do that at the beggining, so i turned put the stock settings back and its 100% fine now im wondering what that is tho at the beggining it does seem right at all, and i want to know how to really turn it off, cuz i think i did it but not completly and thats why i had the problem

that's why I asked what egr parameters you used in your tune. I had it turned off in one tune and on a restart it would act like it was out of gas, jerking forward if in drive, only for a few seconds and then was fine. Didn't do it every time but started to be more and more common. I switched my egr parameters as below and the problem stopped and has never returned.

Jody

LMMpioneer932
January 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM
ok thanks man il try that, i think you were dealing with the same thing i did. thanks for the fix!

camcojb
January 20th, 2008, 05:56 AM
ok thanks man il try that, i think you were dealing with the same thing i did. thanks for the fix!

please let us know how it goes. It stopped my issue.

Jody

LMMpioneer932
January 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
yeah it works great now, no problems at all. thanks for the help. do you know who makes the blocker plate? and how hard you think it is to install?

camcojb
January 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM
yeah it works great now, no problems at all. thanks for the help. do you know who makes the blocker plate? and how hard you think it is to install?

I'm not sure, they're getting harder to find. They are a total pain to install. If it's turned off in the tune there's no reason to install one, unless you're going over 28 psi of boost. At that point the exhaust pressure will force the valve open even if shut off.

Jody

LMMpioneer932
January 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
ok cool, so it just forces the valve open, does that cause any damage? i dont htink im gonna be running more boost than that, i should be fine. thanks again

camcojb
January 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
ok cool, so it just forces the valve open, does that cause any damage? i dont htink im gonna be running more boost than that, i should be fine. thanks again

no damage. Just costs power as it dilutes the cylinder with exhaust, which doesn't have any oxygen to burn; you'll make less power. Only an issue at bigger power levels above 28 psi or so.

Jody