PDA

View Full Version : Custom dash in V7.5 ??

Bruce Melton
January 14th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Am I the only one?

After installing V7.5 and updates, I dragged my custom dash files over from 7.4 where they work fine.
When I try to open that custom dash in 7.5 I get an error messsage :

" Can't load dash file: (location, looks correct)
The system cannot find the file specified. Win:32 error:2."

I have tried this on several computers with same result, either co-exsisting with 7.4 or 7.5 only. I need my rather elaboate custom dash.:Eyecrazy:

Ninety8C5
January 14th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Did you also copy any folders that were associated with the dash pages (if any) ?

Bruce Melton
January 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Did you also copy any folders that were associated with the dash pages (if any) ?

Oh yeah, as in the past updates and the files show in the available 7.5 dash files.

eurospec1
January 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I am having this exact same problem any time i try to load a custom dash with 7.5, i hope theres a fix i feel useless without them :(

Ninety8C5
January 14th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Are you trying to open a *.vdb file? The reason I ask is that I just tried that with 'Default LS2 Imperial.vdb' and I think I got the same error message as you. when I opened each dash page *_A.vdp, *_B.vdp and then saved the dashboard, i was able to open the dashboard (*.vdb) pages. It seems that the dashboard file had incorrect data in it and opening individual pages and saving again worked for me.

Hope that solves your problem!

Bruce Melton
January 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Are you trying to open a *.vdb file? The reason I ask is that I just tried that with 'Default LS2 Imperial.vdb' and I think I got the same error message as you. when I opened each dash page *_A.vdp, *_B.vdp and then saved the dashboard, i was able to open the dashboard (*.vdb) pages. It seems that the dashboard file had incorrect data in it and opening individual pages and saving again worked for me.

Hope that solves your problem!

Ninety8C5 (http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/member.php?u=120),

I think you are on to the cause, but I have not worked it out adequately. I can open the dash but it is missing a large number of guages even though the files seem to be there. Am still digging but with good leads now.
You sure can't just drag the dash files over from 7.4 like before.
Thanks,
Bruce

Ninety8C5
January 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Copying the C5 Dash folder, the C5dash.vdb and associated C5dash_A(B)(C).vdp files from the V7/VDash folder to the V7.5/VDash folder worked for me.

What is strange is the example I gave you before failed on my laptop at work, but worked on my PC at home. So I guess your right that somethings do/did not copy over correctly. Maybe just copy and paste again? :nixweiss:

Good Luck!

Blacky
January 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I don't have access to the latest release, but try checking the file names in the *.vdp and *.vdp files. You can edit those files using notepad. They are just standard *.ini file formats.

The filenames should be relative pathnames, but in some cases, custom dashboards may be saved with pathnames that include the "V7" part. Maybe you will need to change those references to V7.5

Regards
Paul

Bruce Melton
January 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Update-
Seems new install V7.5 only installs a limited # of PIDs. No 02 sensor voltage for example. You cannot drag PIDs from previous collections and the only way is to install additional PIDs is connect to car to "validate Parameters" which then allows you to see and select PIDs to support Dash. Not that the Dash will then be perfectly restored but the gauges can be rebuilt. Hugely time consuming and if you cannot connect your desktop computer how to proceed?

Blacky does any of this make sense? It does appear that the pathnames are correct after being moved.

eurospec1
January 15th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Update-
Seems new install V7.5 only installs a limited # of PIDs. No 02 sensor voltage for example. You cannot drag PIDs from previous collections and the only way is to install additional PIDs is connect to car to "validate Parameters" which then allows you to see and select PIDs to support Dash. Not that the Dash will then be perfectly restored but the gauges can be rebuilt. Hugely time consuming and if you cannot connect your desktop computer how to proceed?

Blacky does any of this make sense? It does appear that the pathnames are correct after being moved.

Man bruce, i coudnt have described my problems any better then you have here n this thread, i am getting the EXACT same conditions as you.

Ninety8C5
January 15th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Bruce, Did you copy the validated PID files for your car (e.g. 1G1YY22G_X5.vml & .vpl) from V7\PIDS to V7.5\PIDS?

Bruce Melton
January 15th, 2008, 07:50 AM

I copied all PIDs from 7.5 PID file (after validation) onto desktop PC 7.5 PID file and some do not show up such as Com air fuel ratio or Fuel trim cell # cant even be found in drop down for pids in 7.5. If you connect laptop then they appear after validation.
So, I have two laptops functional after 6 hours but unless I drag my desktops out to garage I am stumped. This is a new bad deal.

Ninety8C5
January 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Bruce,

I have the two PIDs you mentioned and all I did was copy the *.vpl & *.vml files for my car into the V7.5\PIDS folder.

You've probably done this, but just in case. Have you entered your VIN and OS as the 'Default customer Details'. Grasping at straws here to help out.

Blacky
January 16th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Hi Guys,

It should not be causing that sort of trouble. Unfortunately I don't have access to enough equipment/software to test/fix it.
When I get back I'll take a close look at what is going wrong and why. Please feel free to remind me with a PM after Jan 29.

Regards
Paul

Bruce Melton
January 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Paul,
Roll over, your back side is getting red. Enjoy -
We can wait.:wave:

Blacky
January 16th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I just re-discovered this ozone hole thing. I got burnt in just one day here in Oz, when it takes about 3-4 in NZ. :(
Paul