PDA

View Full Version : Is The Factory Computer Ever Too Small?????

rustynuts
January 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
i am building an ls1 with a list of minor mods. i'm contemplating have the engine professionally dyno tuned for max power. i spoke with a local dyno tuner and he said my factory computer would not be large enough or capable of hanling the tuning parameters needed to maximize power output as compared to the system he puts in and tunes. i don't remember what system he's using but he would supply a blank computer and tune it with whatever software he uses. he mentioned something about using the wideband o2 and there's just too many adjustments that need to be made. of which the factory comp. and efilive would not be able to maximize the power output.

IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THIS?:help2:

we're talking about a naturally aspirated ls1, '99 computer, stock bore/stroke. minor head work, cam, higher compression, long tube headers, no smog/cats, etc.

thanks for any input in advance.:)

Ninety8C5
January 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm no expert and I guess others will give you opinions, but I would look for another tuner.

joecar
January 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Snow job... :bs: ...ditto, look for another tuner.

Maggie
January 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
It would seem that your local dyno tuner is trying to maximize profits. ;)

The factory computer is fine.
Why not buy EFIlive and tune it yourself and save $$ for more mods?...Of which EFIlive is capable of providing for a tune with a custom OS that would more than likely bogle the mind of your local dyno tuner.:eek:

Good luck with your hot rod!
:cheers:

Maggie

joecar
January 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM
RustyNuts,

Firstly, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

There's people on this forum making 500 HP normally aspirated and 1000+ HP boosted (and they have done this using EFILive on the factory PCM).

A good tuner with a wideband and a dyno can certainly extract every bit of power and torque from your combination;
and, a DIY tuner with a wideband will be able to do almost as good (and as good in many cases).

The factory PCM is very capable, and provides features such as engine protection mode, misfire detection, diagnostics, and automatic transmission control (shifting, shift firmness, shift points)... and you don't need to rewire your vehicle.

EFILive supports wideband inputs and has conversion pids for most available widebands.

As Maggie said, EFILive provides several custom OS's which support boost and nitrous (among other features, they provide extra tables for fueling and timing).

Also, Craig Moates makes the "RoadRunner" (which is a real time tunable version of the factory PCM) with which EFILive software can make on-the-fly adjustments (e.g. getting VE table tuned from wideband data in real time as you drive).

Cheers,
Joe

5.7ute
January 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Definately sounds like maggie said that someone is trying to maximise his profits.
Why not PM wait for me as not only will he look after you with the tuning tools, he supplies a starter tune for your combo to get you started.

TAQuickness
January 17th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Welcome to the forum rustynuts!

The factory PCM does have limitations, but it generally takes a monster FI set up to reach them.

With my current build, I get all 1.8 jiggawatts to the rear wheels with an OEM PCM.

mr.prick
January 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
efilive would not be able to maximize the power output.
http://smiliesftw.com/x/wackit.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

the guy is on drugs or an HPtuners user,
or both.

rustynuts
January 18th, 2008, 07:36 AM
RustyNuts,

Firstly, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

There's people on this forum making 500 HP normally aspirated and 1000+ HP boosted (and they have done this using EFILive on the factory PCM).

A good tuner with a wideband and a dyno can certainly extract every bit of power and torque from your combination;
and, a DIY tuner with a wideband will be able to do almost as good (and as good in many cases).

The factory PCM is very capable, and provides features such as engine protection mode, misfire detection, diagnostics, and automatic transmission control (shifting, shift firmness, shift points)... and you don't need to rewire your vehicle.

EFILive supports wideband inputs and has conversion pids for most available widebands.

As Maggie said, EFILive provides several custom OS's which support boost and nitrous (among other features, they provide extra tables for fueling and timing).

Also, Craig Moates makes the "RoadRunner" (which is a real time tunable version of the factory PCM) with which EFILive software can make on-the-fly adjustments (e.g. getting VE table tuned from wideband data in real time as you drive).

Cheers,
Joe

thanks for the info and warm welcom. i think i'll plan on tuning myself. there will be that learning curve but that's what it's all about. i already have efilive just not that sharp with it.

rustynuts
January 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Definately sounds like maggie said that someone is trying to maximise his profits.
Why not PM wait for me as not only will he look after you with the tuning tools, he supplies a starter tune for your combo to get you started.

i'll have to look in to that. this sounds like a good compromise. get a tune that puts me in the ballpark to start with.

Welcome to the forum rustynuts!

The factory PCM does have limitations, but it generally takes a monster FI set up to reach them.

With my current build, I get all 1.8 jiggawatts to the rear wheels with an OEM PCM.

thanks for the welcome. sounds like i'm doing it myself. i'd be stoked with just 1.6 jiggawatts.:D

dfe1
January 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I've used a variety of aftermarket controllers-- Accel Gen7, FAST, Motec, AEM-- and as far as I can see, an LS-style PCM has more capabilities than any of them-- but you need EFILive (especially one of the custom operating systems) to take full advantage of those capabilities. The only real benefits offered by aftermarket controllers is that they're compatible with low impedance injectors, and you can reflash on the fly. On the other hand, most of them have limited data logging capabilities, compared to EFILive.

I think you tuner's problem is that he has no experience with stock PCM's and doesn't understand them. And as has been pointed out already, there's more profit in selling you a new ECU/wiring harness than in tuning something you already own.

rustynuts
January 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I've used a variety of aftermarket controllers-- Accel Gen7, FAST, Motec, AEM-- and as far as I can see, an LS-style PCM has more capabilities than any of them-- but you need EFILive (especially one of the custom operating systems) to take full advantage of those capabilities. The only real benefits offered by aftermarket controllers is that they're compatible with low impedance injectors, and you can reflash on the fly. On the other hand, most of them have limited data logging capabilities, compared to EFILive.

I think you tuner's problem is that he has no experience with stock PCM's and doesn't understand them. And as has been pointed out already, there's more profit in selling you a new ECU/wiring harness than in tuning something you already own.

understood. this is also helpful info. i already have efilive, just no experience tuning a gas engine. only minimal experience tuning a diesel. still learning but at least i now know that my stock pcm is in fact capable of handling anything i might throw at it. thanks for posting up:)

David