PDA

View Full Version : Connection problems

monaro308
January 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hi all ,longtime watcher,1st time poster.
My old laptop with serial ports did a fine job until it died :bawl:
I now have a Acer travelmate 530 with USB ports and no serial.
I have tried a usb-serial converter cable with no luck and decided to get a PCMCIA serial card hoping i could re-live those wonderful no hassle serial connection days....alas i still have trouble connecting onto efilivev4 to my VT6.
The cable worked fine on the old Dell laptop.
I tried connecting and i always get:
Comtimeout:Expecting frame header byte.

I want to use the diagnostic cable(VR,VS,VT) to data log on my 75' Monaro 308 running VN/Delco 808 hardware.
I am now running the VR Manual ECU(082) for faster Baud rate....but connections don't exsist as well.
I 've exhausted my brain changing settings the last few nights instead of datalogging..HELPPPPPPPP:help2: :help2: :help2: :help2:
Thank you.......mario

Tordne
January 18th, 2008, 07:16 AM
The problem is likely to be that the speed supported by the USB<->Serial converter is too fast for the bus. The Serial cable would have previously tun at a baud rate or 8192 and your Serial Converter is probably running at 9600 baud.

We recommend cables from our partner Moates Ware (maker of the RoadRunner PCM). Here is what I believe you would need: http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=127 You may also want to contact them and see if they may have another solution (perhaps just the USB converter.

monaro308
January 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Thanx for the reply Tordne,I'm running the Ostrich 2.0 with no hassles at all so I had a fair idea it was the USB-Serial converter cable as i have heard of lots of connection problems,but i thought a proper pcmcia card with the serial port would fix it.

Cheers Mario