PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs HELP!!

bodyguard6799
January 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I just purchased a used V1 setup with 3 licenses, I also downloaded and installed the latest verion of the software and when I tried to read the calibration and I get a bootloader rejected error message saying the pcm could not be unlocked. A while back I got a mail order tune using HPtuners but I contacted the tuners and they said that they don't lock their pcm's. I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong before I go looking for a new pcm. I installed the software, hooked up the the cables to my truck, the flashscan interface, and to my laptop, opened the tune tool, turned the ignition on, clicked on read calibration data from pcm, selected Gen III LS1 99-08 PCM (I have an 01 Sierra 5.3), clicked check status (status was ok), clicked start and then I get the bootloader rejected error message. Can somone help me figure out whats going on?? THANKS!!

ScarabEpic22
January 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Well did the HPTuners guy use a Custom OS? If so EFILive cant read it, and HPTuners cant read EFILive COSs.

Also, when you are in the read window, select "Use Alternate Keys", just for kicks to see if it works.

bodyguard6799
January 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I dont have any major mods, nothing internal, no blower, and no nos. From what the tuners told me they should not have had to create a custom operating system for my tune. I will have to try the alternate keys next, thanks for the suggestion.

bodyguard6799
January 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Ok, that worked, I was able to read the pcm calibrations but then I was trying to figure out how to use a license on this pcm and it asked for an activation code. All I see in the box is a 16 digit registration key, is that it?? Also when I closed that window, I lost everything and none of the icons in the toolbar to read or program the pcm are lit up anymore. I tried closing everything and starting over but nothing changed, I even tried restarting my laptop, what happened???

joecar
January 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I pm'd Tech Support.

bodyguard6799
January 20th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I found the tutorials sticky and am in my truck right now to try it again, I hooked everything up and everything is back to normal but when I try to read the pcm it starts to read but stops before it can finish. I have retried it 3 or 4 times and it keeps stopping. It did the same thing to me the first time I read it but on the 2nd or 3rd try it finished with no problem. Now it is doing the same thing as before, nothing is lit up on the toolbar. Is there a limit to the # of times you can attemt to read the pcm without success then it times you out or something??

ScarabEpic22
January 20th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Interesting, there shouldnt be a limit like that. Just have to wait 15sec between reads to let the PCM go back to a state where it can accept the bootloader.

Have you entered your license information correctly under Help->Register EFILive? You probably cant read anything (and I know you cant tune anything) without that being correct.

bodyguard6799
January 20th, 2008, 05:05 PM
From what I understand, you don't have to register a license just to read. It worked the first time I tried with the "alt keys" selected but for some reason I can't get it to work again. It will open and start reading and then stop before it could finish reading, almost as if its locking up. I will try again tommorrow. Thanks for the help!

ScarabEpic22
January 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I think you do need to register the software to read... but then again Ive never tried it with the software not registered. You can look and modify tune files without it being registered, but i dont think you can do anything with the hardware unless its registered.

As for the interrupt, do you have anything aftermarket like a stereo?

bodyguard6799
January 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Like I said, it worked the first time I tried without being registered but I did'nt know how to save so I have to do it again. I do have an aftermarket stereo system, I will turn it off and then try again.

bodyguard6799
January 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
I just tried it with the stereo off and it is still getting interupted.

joecar
January 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM
I think you may have to pull the stereo's fuse(s).

bodyguard6799
January 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
I may try that next.

bodyguard6799
January 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
I bought this used, do I still have to register and how do I do it??

ScarabEpic22
January 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
You need the registration card that comes with your FlashScan. Might have to contact the person you bought it from and ask if he/she has the card. If not you'll have to get a hold of EFILive support people who can get you the codes. Look at my earlier post to that says how to register it.

And you have to pull the stereo fuses, aftermarket stereos are known to "talk" more than they should. Usually just pulling the fuse fixes this problem.

bodyguard6799
January 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
I do have the registration card, so I will have to check that post out. I pulled the fuses for the radio and the amp, hooked up my battery charger so the voltage does'nt drop too low, and it still starts to read and then locks up. Can a cell phone cause interferance??

bodyguard6799
January 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM
Ok, I'll try to register first. I am all plugged in with the ign on, have the tune tool open, I selected help>register efilive and the license manager pops up, under license. 1 the flashscan serial # is already listed so all I have to do is select personal scan and tune (what it says on the card), plug in the issue date and registration key and click ok. Am I on the right track??

ScarabEpic22
January 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
Yep, just put all the registration information into that window. Make sure the date is correct, Ive messed that up a couple times. You dont need to register with anything connected, just the window open. Also, what is your battery life at, and do you have an AC inverter powering your laptop? They have been known to cause interference with the FS hardware.

bodyguard6799
January 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM
I had my laptop plugged into an outlet, no inverter. I registered, am I supposed to get some kind of confirmation? Anyway, same thing starts and locks up, I tried it with and w/o high speed selected. I also tried again w/o my cell on me. I'm really starting to get frustrated now.

ScarabEpic22
January 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
OK, just trying to look at all parts of the equation man, thats why I asked about the inverter. You wont get a confirmation it registered, but it should say registered when you click Help->About.

Im running out of ideas man, but I can suggest at least one more. When you click start and let EFILive begin its connection, when it takes control of the dash cluster (guages go crazy, at least they do on my TrailBlazer), turn off the key. I know there were some problems with my TB when it was first out with the comm bus being to noisy for HPT, and this fixed it.

I know Ive had some issues with my V2 not wanting to read/flash, and what Ive done is unplug everything, shut down EFILive, then plug everything back in and open up the Scan tool again. Usually works for me after that.

I hope this helps man, Im pretty much out of ideas. :(

bodyguard6799
January 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
I tried disconnecting the cables and restarting the program a few times, same thing. I also dont think it registered, the info stayed but I dont see "registered" anywhere when I select help->about, I'm not connected anymore does that matter?? Also are you talking about in the scan or tune tool? Do you have any screen shots of what it should look like when it is registered? BTW, I really appreciate the help, Thanks!

ScarabEpic22
January 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
All it should say under Help->About is that its registered.

As far as it not connecting, Im out of ideas for now. Ive got some hw and classes to get ready for tomorrow and Im burned out. Ill think on it and if you dont have it resolved Ill try and help more tomorrow when I can think straight.

joecar
January 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
What vehicle did you say you have...?

Tordne
January 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Please send screen shots of the following to support@efilive.com

1) The 'Help->About' dialog from the Tune Tool

2) The 'Help->FlashScan V1 PCM Licensing' dialog from the Tune Tool

Please also send through the details from your blue registration card.

Cheers,

bodyguard6799
January 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I have an 01 Sierra ecsb 2wd auto 5.3. How do I send screen shots?? I've never done that before.

joecar
January 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
On your keyboard do PrtScr; then open MS Paint or IrfanView, paste, edit/crop, save to a file; send file to email address shown in post #24.

bodyguard6799
January 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
OK, I'll have to try that tommorrow, I won't be home until after 10:00 tonight. THANKS!!

bodyguard6799
January 23rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
OK, I sent the screen shots and tried again with the old software instead of the updated version. Here are some screenshots from when I tried.