PDA

View Full Version : tuning for 3.8 ??

Afterhours Performance
January 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Will there ever be any coverage for the 3.8?? Wanting to buy Gtp but would like to be able to do something with it!!:D

bw02gtp
January 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm really interested in this also, as we just lost one of our tuning companies, leaving us with HPT as our only choice.

Tordne
January 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm afraid I'm not sure what a GTP is :Eyecrazy:

Send your VIN to support@efilive.com and we can check the PCM and OS used. This is what ultimately determines support.

GMPX
January 24th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Well, we have too many other PCM's to finish off before these get done, however, the good news is for those who live in hope, I have already written the reading / programming bootloaders for all the US 3.1, 3.4, 3.8L V6's PCM's from 1996 - 2007, that covers 3 different PCM types.

bw02gtp, lost a company?, did DHP close down?

Cheers,
Ross

bw02gtp
January 24th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Yeah, dhp is essentially dead, they discontinued the powrtuner, although technically they are still in business.

Neither tuner had anywhere near all the parameters mapped out, and that leaves us tuning half blind, so there are lots of GP guys needing a better tuner.

joecar
January 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM
...the good news is for those who live in hope, I have already written the reading / programming bootloaders for all the US 3.1, 3.4, 3.8L V6's PCM's from 1996 - 2007, that covers 3 different PCM types.This means we'll eventually be able to tune these...?

(will I be able to tune my wife's 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT with 3.4L V6 "LA1" and 4T45E...?)

ScarabEpic22
January 24th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Is there any chance we could start reading these controllers for you, my buddy next door has an 03 Impala with the 3.4...

articSS
January 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM
this would be so sweey because i just bought a 99 gtp for my dd and would love to be able to tweek the tune.

GMPX
January 24th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I have about 30 files from these V6's already, it's going to be a big job obviously to map these out because there is sooooo many different OS's on the V6's, the worst I've ever seen from GM. Plus, you guys want lots of tables that others are missing.
Like I said, it will get done, but it might be 2 months, it might be 10 months, I don't know. We have to get the P12 guys sorted out first :redface:

I'll see if I can get Paul at some stage to get the software enabled to read the PCM's, the more files we see the better I guess.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
January 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I know the P12 guys love to hear you say that Ross!! :D

And, is the coding worse than that of the P10s, Ive heard many many times the code for them is completely backa$$wards. Or is it just there are so many different cars the use different cals its going to take a while.

Ohh, and just an FYI Im 100% sure the 08+ 4.2L I6 LL8s use the E67, so tuning support for them should (theoretically) easier to get than in previous years (am I right, or completely wrong??).

Cougar281
January 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Is it possible to read the PCMs with EFI even though they're not supported? If so, you want any more files? I could probably pick up a few for you.

GMPX
January 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I know the P12 guys love to hear you say that Ross!! :D

It's embarassing for me. Actually Jesse (Wait4me) has some of the 2007 P12's heading my way too, so we can add support for them too. Talk about a one year wonder PCM the 2007 P12. What was GM thinking?

And, is the coding worse than that of the P10s, Ive heard many many times the code for them is completely backa$$wards. Or is it just there are so many different cars the use different cals its going to take a while.
It's just different, the P10 code is very efficient actually, almost like it might have been written in assembler :Eyecrazy: . The V6 file layout is quite similar to the 1998 LS1, however, they have no OS number, so identifying them is a bit tricky. GM assign it a CalID number, but that has nothing to do with the OS.

Ohh, and just an FYI Im 100% sure the 08+ 4.2L I6 LL8s use the E67, so tuning support for them should (theoretically) easier to get than in previous years (am I right, or completely wrong??).
Yes the 2008's do use an E67, in fact the entire Atlas engine range has switched to the E67, and we support them already :banana:

Is it possible to read the PCMs with EFI even though they're not supported? If so, you want any more files? I could probably pick up a few for you.
No, it's only functional in our development software, I'll talk to Paul about putting it in the public software, we have been tossing around the idea for sometime. Now that DHP is out of the market it does change things.
Though, if you can read them but not do anything, the feeling would be similar to reading the Victoria's secret catalog?

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
January 24th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Sweet to hear about the 08 LL8, Im working on seeing if I can do a PCM swap from my 02 P10 to an 08 E67, maybe our neverending search for boost using a GM PCM is over???

And Ive heard that 06 P12s have 1/2 the memory of the 07 P12s, I have no idea wtf GM was thinking on that one.

The P10 code is efficient, maybe too efficient? Interesting... But thats weird of GM to make the V6 code so different than their norm, but then again the 07 P12 comes to mind...lol

If anyone has an 08 TrailBlazer I6 .tun file, Id love to see it! :D

bw02gtp
January 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I have about 30 files from these V6's already, it's going to be a big job obviously to map these out because there is sooooo many different OS's on the V6's, the worst I've ever seen from GM. Plus, you guys want lots of tables that others are missing.
Like I said, it will get done, but it might be 2 months, it might be 10 months, I don't know. We have to get the P12 guys sorted out first :redface:

I'll see if I can get Paul at some stage to get the software enabled to read the PCM's, the more files we see the better I guess.

Cheers,
Ross

I have many, many v6 files as well, let me know if there is anything specific you need.

Some of the major parameters that we need mapped out, Spark Dwell, Injector Timing, Injector Small Pulse Parameters, injector offset vs ignition voltage, and a whole lot more.

There is another issue with the 01-03 (maybe 04+ as well, but I haven't verified anything) pcm's that I can find no parameter mapped so far that fixes it. When running without a rear o2 sensor, the pcm will set both long term and short term fuel trims to maximum positive, adding way to much fuel, (I've seen cars hit 10.x:1 afr when cruising due to this), the issue only appears in closed loop and while at a steady throttle. The only way to fix it is to run a rear o2 (a simulator doesn't even fix it all the time), however, many of us run open headers at the track, and this will screw with our WOT fueling, and cause stalling while in the staging lanes. Finding out what causes that will be of great help. Running a 98-00 OS instead causes 16 degrees of burst knock, which is completely unacceptable, again probably due to parameters we don't have mapped out.

GMPX
January 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Sweet to hear about the 08 LL8, Im working on seeing if I can do a PCM swap from my 02 P10 to an 08 E67, maybe our neverending search for boost using a GM PCM is over???

This is the issue with the P10, the code is tight, makes adding things in a little tougher. I think your better bet would be to fit a P12, not an E67. Remember the P12 can handle boost as is.

And Ive heard that 06 P12s have 1/2 the memory of the 07 P12s, I have no idea wtf GM was thinking on that one.
Correct, not sure why, they weren't out of space? Maybe they cut a good deal on some 2Mb flash chips ;)

If anyone has an 08 TrailBlazer I6 .tun file, Id love to see it! :D

I'd post it but IE7 seems to lock up when I try to attach it!

bw02gtp - Are your files in dhp or hpt format?, if so they are probably useless to us, we need raw bin files. Other wise, just hold tight until we enable reading in the software. Looks like there will be no shortage of Beta testers anyway ;)
The thing you have to remember with computers, they can't think, they only do what they are told, so if it is going to full + trim with no rear O2 it is either a calibration or a code decision, which means it could be stopped.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
January 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
GM states in their tech update for 07 that the extra 1MB of memory was for emission purposes, BS IMO.

The P12 can handle boost? (Looks like and E38 or E67 from the outside anyway, dont know what the internal differences are)
Really...I have the pinouts for an 02 P10, 06 P12 and 08 E67, Ill compare the P12 vs E67 too now. Why would you recommend a P12 vs E67, there should be more E67s floating around? And do the P12s have the boost VE table, the E67 should have them there already (at least from what Ive seen on the other E67 .tun files). Any way I can get an 02-05 I6 to run boost and Ill be a very happy man, plus a ton of others will be too.

IE7??? :( FireFox! :)

(P.S. You can always email me that TB file, email is in my profile. :) )

joecar
January 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
After driving my Mrs' 2002 3.4L, thease features are sorely need:
- being able to disable VATS;
- being able to lock TCC in 3rd;
- being able to disable fan run-on after turning off AC.

DURAtotheMAX
January 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Ross V6 support would be awesome!!!!! :D

one of my buddy's is doing a custom 3.8 (series II) swap into his 1989 toyota rock crawler/offroad/dailer driver pickup. We dont even need tuning really, but are really looking forward to the simple things such as VATS and DTC enablers...

thanks
ben

MICK
January 26th, 2008, 02:16 AM
This all sounds really good for the US crowd but what about the Aussie V6 support...young Ross?

Don't let them Bosch PCM's scare you off now...:)

At what year model did the Aussie Holden V6 start using Bosch PCM's?

I like the V6 operating systems that have switched s/c options and map scaling up to 140 kpa. For a OEM operating system this makes things a little interesting.

I think there is more potential then people release in V6 support.

Does anybody now if there is a V6 operating system that uses a 1220411 PCM?

Mick

GMPX
January 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
This all sounds really good for the US crowd but what about the Aussie V6 support...young Ross?

Don't let them Bosch PCM's scare you off now...:)

At what year model did the Aussie Holden V6 start using Bosch PCM's?

Does anybody now if there is a V6 operating system that uses a 1220411 PCM?

Mick

Mick, the 3.8L in the US and the Aussie 3.8L PCM are totally different, the US one pretty much has the LS1 hardware, the Aussie one (as you know) uses the old Delco 68HC11 based PCM's.

Bosch was first used on the Alloytec.

Many OS's were used on the 12220411 PCM, all of which can be used on a V6, but, it's the 4.3L V6, not the 3.8L, different crank trigger signals. The 12220411 will only handle the LS1 style 24x sensor.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
January 27th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hey Ross, when you get a sec could you email me that 08 TB file? And why use a P12 vs an E67 (except for the whole 24x vs 58x reluctor problem)? I think I can make this work...

MICK
January 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for fueling the fire Ross.

For Holden to achieve OBD2 in the V6 range, did they rely on the Bosch PCM for the Alloytec?

What year model did the Alloytec first start?

Just looking for a change over point.

I see the others are still trying to overcome the 6000 rpm rev limiter on certain models....:)

I also here that Dan has it sorted to 8000 rpm.

Humm, yep I like these V6 range. Toyota are releasing a S/C V6, I think thats the way they all will go in the future.

Just look at the S/C LS9, the V8 versions will be lucky to hit the streets before the Greene's catch up with them.

Cheers

Mick

Biggsy
January 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM
VZ commodore 2004/5 first one to have alloytec v6

Afterhours Performance
January 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
The coverage for the 3.1,3.4,etc will be great to have there is alot of them running around!! Can't wait! More Coverage=More work to do:muahaha:

Afterhours Performance
January 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
But I will still be waiting quite a while for the 3.8 sounds like:nixweiss:
Thanks for the update

joecar
January 28th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Can someone tell me if this is an LS1 style PCM: 12209614

Edit: it looks very similar to a 12200411, but looks can be deceiving.

GMPX
January 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Can someone tell me if this is an LS1 style PCM: 12209614

Edit: it looks very similar to a 12200411, but looks can be deceiving.

Used on 2001-2002 3.1L & 3.4L V6's.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
January 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
For Holden to achieve OBD2 in the V6 range, did they rely on the Bosch PCM for the Alloytec?
No, they probably got them cheap! The US V6 PCM was OBDII compliant in 1996, they could have used it on the 3.8L. Also, the 2000 ish 3.2L & 3.6L Isuzu Trooper PCM's in the US were made by Delphi, that engine is really just an Alloytec V6, again, they could have used them.

Humm, yep I like these V6 range. Toyota are releasing a S/C V6, I think thats the way they all will go in the future.
Yeah, except Toyota don't seem to understand RWD!, RWD!, RWD! if they want to compete against the Falcadore.

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
January 29th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Used on 2001-2002 3.1L & 3.4L V6's.

Cheers,
RossAh, it seems I have the right one, thanks Ross. :cheers:

timg
January 31st, 2008, 06:13 PM
I would love to see Gm V6's. In fact, if they were supported I would give up on my new tuner indecision. :beer: I currently have DHP for my Monte Carlo and AEM for my S2000, but nothing yet for my 9-7X 5.3i (E67). I would greatly prefer EFI live, though HPTuners has been tempting me with 97 DOHC support :bash: . The temptation isn't that great though because my preferred ECU is from the 96 DOHC. To run the 97, I would need to swap a 4T65E for my current built 4T60E. Just for fun, I attached the stock 96 and 97 Monte Carlo Z34 bin files.

Tim

beyerch
February 6th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I'm hoping they'll pick up V6 as well and am willing to help out however possible to make it happen. FWIW

DURAtotheMAX
February 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
me too! Just need VATS and DTC enablers!