PDA

View Full Version : Dyno with 100mm

jfpilla
January 26th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Dynoed today and the only change to the car was the 100mm MAF. I'm not saying this proves any thing, especially since the gains were more than expected. MAP on previous dyno was 95 on this dyno it's 98kpa.

Bruce Melton
January 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Joe,

I would guess there is more going on here than MAF as you said.
You have any other ideas? Atmosphere?

Having said that I dynoed one of our LS7 builds the other day. First with 100mm MAF and it did 22/26 hp/tq more than others like it and I am baffled.

I have one on my car but the weather is too bad to venture out to dyno.

jfpilla
January 26th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Bruce,
I have no idea. The dyno considers external factors. I can see conditions having some affect but not that much. Of course I'm thrilled with the increase. We did not push for max. This was 3 pulls. On the 2nd pull we matched the AFR from the previous dyno and on the 3rd pull we added 2 degrees timing. It showed a 3 degree increase and that added 9hp. The last time we dynoed we did max it and had timing to the point where more did nothing. If you're saying you had a similar experience, could it be real?

Someone, I've forgotten who, asked to check IDC. At peak HP it was 77%. Sorry, I hope you read this.:D

Bruce Melton
January 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Joe,
470/437 is strong for a stock + headers C6LS7 which of course has ~5%? transmission advantage, so you have it dialed in pretty good!
Did you just add final timing or more broadly?

I found beyond 28* it became ambivalent and I went back to 28. The E38s have a ton more midrange timing but it caused me trouble when I tried it with my Legacy PCM.

It was me on the IDCs, Thanks.

jfpilla
January 26th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Bruce,
It's 21*. I only changed it from .88gms/ and 4800 rpms up. It made no difference over 19* last time.
My MAF table needs work at high freq. It's a problem tuning on the street. It breaks loose easily and cold weather makes it worse. I can wait for it to warm up and then I'll see if there's more in it.
Joe
P.S. I forgot the point of the post. The bigger MAF is not supposed to help. Some will show tests proving it. I wonder if the big cube engine is the difference.

Bruce Melton
January 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I will send you an email in the AM.
21* Hmmmm?

John Welch
January 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hey Joe
Nice job
Car is smokin
When will you get it to the track
JOhn

jfpilla
January 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hey John,
Are you retired?
How's your motor coming?
It's too cold for racing, I can't get traction and the tracks don't open or prep well when they do. I'm hoping in March.
Bring me up to date.
Joe

John Welch
January 27th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hey John,
Are you retired?
How's your motor coming?
It's too cold for racing, I can't get traction and the tracks don't open or prep well when they do. I'm hoping in March.
Bring me up to date.
Joe

Yep sounds like its going your way now .
I ended up with a LS7 BLOCK ,CALLIES ROTATING ASSEMBLY (Done)
ETP heads (LS7) (Done)
Cam Motion ,cam (in)
so far its on the tuners Bench
Damn its cold here
- 10 c
John

redhardsupra
January 27th, 2008, 02:06 AM
can you post a log or a screenshot of the MAFflow? A lot of aftermarket MAF's are very jerky, I want to see how this one is doing.

jfpilla
January 27th, 2008, 03:30 AM
can you post a log or a screenshot of the MAFflow? A lot of aftermarket MAF's are very jerky, I want to see how this one is doing.

A lot? How many 90mm filiment MAF's are there?

Redline Motorsports
January 27th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Joe,
470/437 is strong for a stock + headers C6LS7 which of course has ~5%? transmission advantage, so you have it dialed in pretty good!
Did you just add final timing or more broadly?

I found beyond 28* it became ambivalent and I went back to 28. The E38s have a ton more midrange timing but it caused me trouble when I tried it with my Legacy PCM.

It was me on the IDCs, Thanks.

I agree with Bruce's math. Dynoed three 08 LS7 cars this week and they all made 450-460 and RWTQ was 424-432. That a good running auto!

My timing graph when mapped out in the chart style view, shows a huge bell curve in timing and then around 4200 I start to ramp it down just before peak torque. From there it is fairly flat with a slight tail at the end.

Just past peak torque I don't really have more then a 3 degree rise in timing to redline.

These motor really like the timing down low especially at less then .60 grms/cyl and 2000 to 4000 rpms. Throttle response is sick as the advanced timing has you on the edge of peak cylinder pressure!:)

Nice job Joe!

Howard

jfpilla
January 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Howard,
You told me about the timing before and I've found it to be right.
This was 3 pulls to see if a 100mm made a difference to a 427. It was not a tuning session, but it turned out pretty well.
Thanks
Joe

Redline Motorsports
January 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah I got on a rant Joe!

jfpilla
January 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah I got on a rant Joe!

Howard, you're too modest. It's nice not having to reinvent the wheel.:rockon:

bink
January 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks for posting Joe. :mrgreen:

Can't argue with the numbers....which are fantastic!!

Louis- LGM said he had great results with the LPE 100mm MAF. Is yours the LPE?
I wonder how a 100mm tb would turn out??
:cheers:
joel

Bruce Melton
January 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I am very cautious about overstating the case, but apparently size/flow matters more than we though?
The nice curve has a minor effect (IMO) and the OS range still limits the reported output. So?
http://home.new.rr.com/meltn/85-103mm%20%281%29.JPG

100 mm <<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>01+ 85 mm

jfpilla
January 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I am very cautious about overstating the case, but apparently size/flow matters more than we though?
The nice curve has a minor effect (IMO) and the OS range still limits the reported output. So? http://home.new.rr.com/meltn/85-103mm%20%281%29.JPG

100 mm <<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>01+ 85 mmExactly Bruce? I wonder if those tests that showed no improvement were with smaller cubes. I'm seeing posts that claim more power. I make no claim other than the power came from somewhere and it's too much to attribute to dyno differences or different days. As you said! So?

Thanks Joel, your always there with nice things to say.

Joe

bink
January 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Exactly Bruce? I wonder if those tests that showed no improvement were with smaller cubes. I'm seeing posts that claim more power. I make no claim other than the power came from somewhere and it's too much to attribute to dyno differences or different days. As you said! So?

Thanks Joel, your always there with nice things to say.

Joe

You're welcome.....but really, those numbers are KILLER - especially considering the dyno...i.e. NOT inflated princess numbers.

I think the MAP improvement says a lot.

BlackO2SS/Chad had similar results with a 100mm MAF and 4" pipe (took me forever ..25 minutes/not forever... to find the thread!).
But on a 346 -> http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606599

I cross linked the LS1Tech thread.

jfpilla
January 29th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Joel,
I kind of got caught up in my own excitement. As I had mentioned we did 3 pulls. Nick nailed the AFR for the 2nd pull and then nailed the timing on the 3rd pull. You and I think a lot of him and i should have mentioned it.
Joe