PDA

View Full Version : check engine light after pcm swap ls1

Adam Calley
January 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I keep getting a check engine light coming on after swapping from a 98 pcm to a 99 pcm, with the 2002 os in it. It is coming form the gas tank pressure sensor. Has anyone had this problem and is it a charactoristic from doing the swap or what.

Doc
January 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Is this a F or Y body? Later Y bodies don't have the tank sensor.

Adam Calley
January 26th, 2008, 04:59 PM
how do i know if it is a f or a y body. Its a 98 vette, i looked at the vin and it doesn't have any f's in it, but it does have a couple y's, so im assuming its a y body. and how do i know if it has a tank sensor or not and if it doesn't how do i keep the code from coming on cause i can't pass inspection with the light on. Thanks Adam

hquick
January 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I expect you can set P0452 and P0453 to "not reported" in 'processing Enablers' and to "no MIL" in 'MIL Enablers' both under engine diagnostics..
Doc is the Guru on these though.

Adam Calley
January 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM
ok i have 3 of the 0452 codes and when i went into the dtc enablers they are already set to not reported. But i do have some other codes though that maybe are my problem, One is b2723 thats a trans one and then 4 heater switch ones, and a u1096, U1064, u1016 AND NEITHER OF THOSE I CAN EVEN FIND IN THE DTC ENABLES FOR THE TRANS OR THE ENGINE DTC'S, BUT WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS IF THE TANK SENSOR ONES ARE ALREADY SET TO NOT REPORTED THEN WHY ARE THEY SHOWING UP WHEN I CHECK THE CODES?

hquick
January 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Post your tune so people can see what you're working with.

Lextech
January 27th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Did you enter your VIN into this new PCM. If not the "U" codes may be related. The PCM VIN has to match the VIN in the BCM-----If I'm not mistaken.

driver456
January 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
ok i have 3 of the 0452 codes and when i went into the dtc enablers they are already set to not reported. But i do have some other codes though that maybe are my problem, One is b2723 thats a trans one and then 4 heater switch ones, and a u1096, U1064, u1016 AND NEITHER OF THOSE I CAN EVEN FIND IN THE DTC ENABLES FOR THE TRANS OR THE ENGINE DTC'S, BUT WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS IF THE TANK SENSOR ONES ARE ALREADY SET TO NOT REPORTED THEN WHY ARE THEY SHOWING UP WHEN I CHECK THE CODES?
I just did the same swap,P0449 & P0452 are X:NOT REPORTED. B2723 in the service manual is DTC B2723 PASS- Key Detection curcuit.The U codes should be history.Those come up on mine every time I flash the PCM.Change your VIN# in the scan tool under Bidirectional if you didn't do that already and let us know what you got.................Paul

Adam Calley
January 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
ok i got the check engine light taken care of, i opened the wrong tune at first for another car and thats why they were already turned off in that tune. So i got the right one opened and got them turned off and now the light stays off. But i do thank you for the info on the vin swap cause i did forget to switch that over and i will tonight and maybe that will get rid of the seat heater switch codes. Im sure i don't have my tune all correct cause im new at efi live and all this tuning stuff. But how can i post my whole tune on here so you guys can look at it. I do have an idleing problem. It will idle at 1000 rpm's or so and when i come to a complete stop it will idle way down to like 400-500 rpm's and then after about 5 seconds or so i will come back up to 1000 agian. Any idea's of what to change.

Adam Calley
January 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Paul i will do the vin change here in an hour or so and let you know, but did you do the vat relearn procedure after you did the swap?

driver456
January 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Paul i will do the vin change here in an hour or so and let you know, but did you do the vat relearn procedure after you did the swap?
I had to do a crank position relearn I think thats what its called & I had a few codes,But after I changed the Vin# in the scan tool Its all good:D ..............Paul

Adam Calley
January 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Ok i went and checked and i did do the vin change already. But ne ways the only codes im still havign are for the seat heaters. theres 4 codes, one for each seat. Is there any way to keep them from showing up?

driver456
January 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Ok i went and checked and i did do the vin change already. But ne ways the only codes im still havign are for the seat heaters. theres 4 codes, one for each seat. Is there any way to keep them from showing up?
I don't have seat heater's,Maybe somebody else will chime in.Do they have an H or a C after the code?...................Paul

eurospec1
January 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
ok i got the check engine light taken care of, i opened the wrong tune at first for another car and thats why they were already turned off in that tune. So i got the right one opened and got them turned off and now the light stays off. But i do thank you for the info on the vin swap cause i did forget to switch that over and i will tonight and maybe that will get rid of the seat heater switch codes. Im sure i don't have my tune all correct cause im new at efi live and all this tuning stuff. But how can i post my whole tune on here so you guys can look at it. I do have an idleing problem. It will idle at 1000 rpm's or so and when i come to a complete stop it will idle way down to like 400-500 rpm's and then after about 5 seconds or so i will come back up to 1000 agian. Any idea's of what to change.

Post up your tune file for sure, that will help us help you.

The dip in your idle when coming to a stop, could be throttle cracker, or it could just be your VE is off at idle, it will do that if your running rich.

Adam Calley
January 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
ok, im tring to post my calibration and it doesn't seem to be working, how do i do it?

Tordne
January 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM
You need to upload it as an attachment. Have a look at this thread (in particular post 2): http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3064

hquick
January 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Or....email it to me and I'll post it for you.
hquickatbigponddotcom.
Would be best if you learned to do it yourself though.
Sometimes when you attempt to upload it...it takes a while depending on your connection/speed.
If on dial up...post tune only
Next...go back and EDIT your post and add the log.
Mine crashes/times out/locks up if I don't do it that way from work (dial up).

Adam Calley
January 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Howard i emailed you my tune as an attachment, im working on getting a Data log yet also

hquick
January 29th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Adams tune attached.

Adam Calley
January 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM
ok my tune is posted thanks to Howard. Could you guys check it out and let me know.

hquick
January 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Really need to see a log Adam.
Have you done a CKP relearn?
Under 'Bi-directional' in the scantool.
Follow the instructions if you haven't done one yet.

Adam Calley
January 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
yes i did do a ckp learn, and i will work on getting a log asap. When you say a log what sensors should i log and how long shoud i log it for, and should i do a log actually driving it or just at idle?

Doc
January 30th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Adam,
Are you sure that the VIN in the tune is actually in the pcm? Connect the scan tool to the vehicle, go key on, ign off. Push the green button to connect. Down at the bottom of the scan tool you should see the corresponding VIN. If not use the scan tool to change the VIN. Verify the change took place by "Reading" (green button) the tune in the tune tool.

The idle stuff is going to be related to the airflow tables. Do a search on running airflow, RAFIG, RAFPN.

First, make sure you have the correct VIN.

Adam Calley
January 31st, 2008, 04:32 PM
Here is my log guys

Adam Calley
February 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
i did as you said and my vin is in the pcm. I have posted a log now.

joecar
February 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Seems to me like it's running a bit lean both at PT and WOT.

Not getting much injector pulsewidth, what size injectors do you have...?

Adam Calley
February 2nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
i am runnin 42lb bosh injectors at 58 psi in the rails, thats weird that you say it seems lean cause i had a person behind me the other day and they said it smelled really rich when i steped on it? What do you think i should change?

Adam Calley
February 2nd, 2008, 04:41 AM

hquick
February 2nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Is the regulator manifold ref'd?
Mine is and I'm using the same injectors as you at 58psi and mine are set at 6.109375 accross the board.

Adam Calley
February 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
what does ref'd mean?

Adam Calley
February 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
You say your injector flow rate it set to one number and doesn;t change or is that you pulse width

hquick
February 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Referenced...in other words...is there a small hose connecting from the fuel regulator to the intake manifold?
My Injector flow rate. If it's manifold ref'd your IFR should be a straight line (same number....and as your injectors are the same as mine and you're running the same fuel pressure as me it should be the same number).

joecar
February 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Howard is right... if you have a truck, check to see if you have a fuel line AND a return line connected to the fuel pressure regulator which is located between the fuel rails; if you see 2 lines, verify that the regulator has a hose connecting it to the intake manifold... if this is so, then your IFR table should be flat horzontal.

(I think one C5 year model also had a manifold referenced regulator)

Adam Calley
February 3rd, 2008, 03:28 AM
Yeah i got the one year that they have that hose on the 98 vette and it is hooked up, my fuel system isn't at all stock but i did buy a regulator that had that option so i could you it. Thanks for the info i guess i will have to go change my ifr's. Now i just gota get my ve table right

driver456
February 3rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
Referenced...in other words...is there a small hose connecting from the fuel regulator to the intake manifold?
My Injector flow rate. If it's manifold ref'd your IFR should be a straight line (same number....and as your injectors are the same as mine and you're running the same fuel pressure as me it should be the same number).
Not to hijack this thread,But I have the same setup.2 fuel lines(feed & return) & the small hose off the regulater going to the intake.Can you put a rubber cap on the reg. and do away with that small hose going from the reg. to the manifold and change IFR or should I leave it alone:D ?................Paul

eboggs_jkvl
February 3rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Referenced would be my understanding of that abbreviation.

hquick
February 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Adam..your IFR should look like this:

Adam Calley
February 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Yeah i got my ifr's in there all the same in every box and now it really runs like crap, Its miss firing really bad, sounds terrible.