PDA

View Full Version : EFILive wish list for the future

mnotx
February 5th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Any chance some day of Flashscan being able to cycle the ABS systems? Currently the only way to do this with C5 Corvettes is with a Tech 2 (about $3000). It's the only function that is left which requires a visit to the dealership.

ringram
February 9th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I think you may find the BCM handles the ABS, they are a different kettle of fish to the ECM and TCM and are very application specific.
Im sure Ross can give more info.

mnotx
February 9th, 2008, 04:27 AM
You're right. Too bad, though. $3000 just to bleed the ABS is absurd. But it's either that or a trip to the evil dealership. My car shudders just thinking about it. It's never seen a dealership since delivery!:D

Cougar281
February 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM
If EFILive can't do it, possibly look into the OBD2 software at www.obd2.com. I'm not 100% sure if it can do what you want, but it has some bi-directional stuff and is supposed to be able to communicate with all the modules.

scdyne
February 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Any chance some day of Flashscan being able to cycle the ABS systems? Currently the only way to do this with C5 Corvettes is with a Tech 2 (about $3000). It's the only function that is left which requires a visit to the dealership.

Are you sure that's the case? I know that there are a number of vehicles with the Delco systems that do normally require a TEC-II, but even then there is a procedure to bleed them w/o one. Usually there are bleeder screws on the modulator and a procedure to trick the ABS module into releasing.

Open the front bleeder screw, bleed the modulator, then bleed the front brakes. Drive the car over 5 mph and it resets the ABS to the home position.
Then you can bleed the rear brakes.

But the Corvette uses a Bosch system and as I understand it the brakes can be bled normally w/o impacting the ABS. The only time you need a TEC-II is if you have air trapped in the module in which case it would need to be used to actuate the valves.

Having bled the brakes on a lot of S-sereis Saturn's including replacing all the fluid on just about every one I have owned this has me perplexed. ..

mnotx
February 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, you don't need it for everyday bleeding, just when you replace the master and end up with air in the ABS lines. If there is another way to activate them, I am sure interested. I can't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't allow that particular command be implemented somewhere from the vehicle.......except to force you to go to a dealership.

mnotx
February 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
If EFILive can't do it, possibly look into the OBD2 software at www.obd2.com (http://www.obd2.com). I'm not 100% sure if it can do what you want, but it has some bi-directional stuff and is supposed to be able to communicate with all the modules.

I sent them an e-mail. Thanks, Cougar!

emarkay
April 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Yea I was curious as to the EVAP cycling a few years ago. Paul/Ross - what is the status on "legacy" BCM research? Dead, waiting for market, or still digging?

Blacky
April 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yea I was curious as to the EVAP cycling a few years ago. Paul/Ross - what is the status on "legacy" BCM research? Dead, waiting for market, or still digging?

We have put a lot of time/effort into bidi controls recently. We now have a system that can communicate with multiple modules - not just ECM/TCM. If we can capture the commands to the ABS or BCM or other modules, then we now have the ability to add them into the software.

So it is possible, just we haven't researched it yet.

Regards
Paul

emarkay
April 7th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Well when I get the Camaro back, tell me what to do to assist in getting this. Imagine, every GM motorhead's dream; full TechII emulation!

joecar
April 7th, 2008, 03:30 AM
MRK,

I can already do the EVAP testing using the current EFILive bidi controls... is this what your talking about...?

scdyne
April 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I'd like to see CASE relearn for the E67 and eventually individual gear selection for dyno tuning of my 5L40 (M82) transmission. I know the last one is a long shot, but hopefully the BIDI commands turn out to be the same as another transmission.
As it stands now I finally have transmission PIDs in the latest black box beta using the default E67 automatic selection.

I just purchased another CAN bus reader CANUSB where do I sign up to start pumping messages to my 5L40 until I get something to work?

Garry
May 12th, 2008, 05:18 AM
When dumping DTCs to flash, it would be nice if they could be read in by EFILive to get the details in a more readable form than:

[DTCS]
P0300=PCM,-F--X-CS

[Freeze Frame PCM 0]
; Freeze Frame Empty.

[Freeze Frame PCM 1]
$0002=$0300
FUELSYS1=OL
FUELSYS2=OL
LOAD_PCT=3.1%
ECT=36°C

a.s.o. ...

joecar
May 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
In the meantime, see post #38: showthread.php?t=7978&page=4 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7978&page=4)

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
When dumping DTCs to flash, it would be nice if they could be read in by EFILive to get the details in a more readable form than:

Absolutely, that is what the V8 software is designed to do. All data "captured" by FlashScan (with V2.05.xx firmware) is set up to be easily readable by computer applications i.e. in the ubiquitous *.ini file format.

When EFILive V8 is released, it will automatically send the command to FlashScan V2 to capture all that data, then it will automatically pull that data back to the PC via USB. Then it will format and display all the data with extra descriptions in easy to navigate tables.

I.e. you click one button on the PC/laptop and get all that data presented in the EFILive software.

Right now, what you're seeing is the bare-bones "under the hood" stuff.

You won't even need EFILive_Explorere.exe when the version 8 software comes out. EFILive_Explorer.exe is really just a diagnostic tool for "poking around" inside FlashScan. It has only been made available so that beta testers can actually copy data to/from FlashScan until V8 is ready.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
May 12th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure how hard this would be, or if any one else would think that it's a good idea or not, but I'd like to see a "commanded fuel" and commanded spark" calculator included in the TuneTool. My thought was to have a couple of dialog boxes up the top of the screen that gave an indication of the final commanded fuel and spark depending on all the variables involved. I know that this is not simply running a few formulae, as there are a few different engine conditions involved in the final figures. However I was thinking that when the TuneTool is linked to a log file in ScanTool and the required PIDs had been logged, you could use this to make adjustments and instantly see the final commanded fuel or spark.

Simon

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure how hard this would be, or if any one else would think that it's a good idea or not, but I'd like to see a "commanded fuel" and commanded spark" calculator included in the TuneTool. My thought was to have a couple of dialog boxes up the top of the screen that gave an indication of the final commanded fuel and spark depending on all the variables involved. I know that this is not simply running a few formulae, as there are a few different engine conditions involved in the final figures. However I was thinking that when the TuneTool is linked to a log file in ScanTool and the required PIDs had been logged, you could use this to make adjustments and instantly see the final commanded fuel or spark.

Simon

We've kicked this idea around a few times and it is difficult because the final spark and fuel are made up of many lookup tables. Each table is dependent on various inputs such as MAP, MAF, RPM, IAT, ECT and AFR. Not to mention all the adjustments due to learned airflows and learned fuel trims.

It would be a very big task to do and would almost require that we develop a virtual engine simulator to get it accurate. But it would be a fantastic tuning aid if it could be done.

Regards
Paul

XLR8NSS
May 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
The ability to log ECM and TCM PIDS at the same time in the Scan tool would be nice, maybe have a E38/LS1/etc "Auto" selection for scanning like in the V2. :)

TFZ_Z06
May 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I would like a function that adds spark until I get knock retard or a specified spark valued is reached. I would also like to specify the
the coordinates in the high/low octane spark table to effectively do this. Similar function for WOT PE multiplier at a given rpm range.

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
The ability to log ECM and TCM PIDS at the same time in the Scan tool would be nice, maybe have a E38/LS1/etc "Auto" selection for scanning like in the V2. :)

You can do that now with the Black Box Logging beta software. Then open the log file in the existing V7 software.

The ability to scan two controllers at once will be fully supported in the EFILive V8 software.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I would like a function that adds spark until I get knock retard or a specified spark valued is reached. I would also like to specify the
the coordinates in the high/low octane spark table to effectively do this. Similar function for WOT PE multiplier at a given rpm range.

The bidirectional controls (DVT controls) will allo wyou to manually add spark and/or fuel. We've added extensive updates to the DVT controls in the latest beta software.

Adding spark/fuel per cell is not supported yet. We had it in version 5 of the software but it was replaced with functionality in the RoadRunner device. We may re-implement it in version 8.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
May 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
We've kicked this idea around a few times and it is difficult because the final spark and fuel are made up of many lookup tables. Each table is dependent on various inputs such as MAP, MAF, RPM, IAT, ECT and AFR. Not to mention all the adjustments due to learned airflows and learned fuel trims.

It would be a very big task to do and would almost require that we develop a virtual engine simulator to get it accurate. But it would be a fantastic tuning aid if it could be done.

Regards
Paul

Yes, I see your point. When I first thought about it I was thinking it would be easy, then when I considered the number of parameters needed I realised it would be much harder. that's when I thought about linking it to the ScanTool. If you logged the required PID's, then you could move the "chart inspector" to specific points to see what the commanded fuel "should be". then you could make changes to the tables in the TuneTool and as it's still linked to the ScanTool, it would be able to pick up the required map and table points.

The only other way I could think of was to have a table that had inputs for all the required parameters that you manually filled out. It would then check the tune file to see what the final commanded fuel / spark / air should be.

Simon.

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Yes, I see your point. When I first thought about it I was thinking it would be easy, then when I considered the number of parameters needed I realised it would be much harder. that's when I thought about linking it to the ScanTool. If you logged the required PID's, then you could move the "chart inspector" to specific points to see what the commanded fuel "should be". then you could make changes to the tables in the TuneTool and as it's still linked to the ScanTool, it would be able to pick up the required map and table points.

The only other way I could think of was to have a table that had inputs for all the required parameters that you manually filled out. It would then check the tune file to see what the final commanded fuel / spark / air should be.

Simon.

You've just described EFILive's RTACS: Real Time Auto Calibration System. It is available with RoadRunner :good:

It is not available for controllers without RoadRunner support.:ranting:

Regards
Paul

swingtan
May 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
You've just described EFILive's RTACS: Real Time Auto Calibration System. It is available with RoadRunner :good:

It is not available for controllers without RoadRunner support.:ranting:

Regards
Paul

Yes..... RR..... What I'd do to be able to try one on my E38. Trying to work out fueling for OL is doing my head in! Surely you have an alpha copy of "Virtual RoadRunner TM" for the E38 given it's more powerful CPU......

TFZ_Z06
May 12th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I've got a RoadRunner, but have not installed. Do I need a software upgrade if I use it?

If I install the RR and install my current tune, should I expect the car to run and operate exactly as it did before installation?

I have held back on installation because I haven't investigated possible problems with it yet. Words of advice about install welcome...

BTW writing on it, J1BLUE M1190 CYDU This look correct for my car?

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Yes..... RR..... What I'd do to be able to try one on my E38. Trying to work out fueling for OL is doing my head in! Surely you have an alpha copy of "Virtual RoadRunner TM" for the E38 given it's more powerful CPU......

Given that CAN scanning can be done at a much higher rate than the old VPW used by the LS1's, it might be worth re-visiting the whole scan tool based spark and fuel control.
I'll keep it on the "to do list".

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I've got a RoadRunner, but have not installed. Do I need a software upgrade if I use it?

I recommend running at least EFILive version V7.5.3

If I install the RR and install my current tune, should I expect the car to run and operate exactly as it did before installation?

Yes, 100% exactly the same. Except for the relearning (fuel and idle airflow) that will be needed the same as it would after a normal reflash.

I have held back on installation because I haven't investigated possible problems with it yet. Words of advice about install welcome...

You should be able to hook it up to your PC via the USB and full-reflash it via the RoadRunner control panel with your current PCM's tune. Then just swap it out with your existing PCM and you're good to go.

Keep your existing PCM in the car with a wrench so that you can swap it back in in case there is a problem with the RR. There shouldn't be any problems, I drove around for 6 months with the RR PCM in my car. But better to be safe than sorry.

BTW writing on it, J1BLUE M1190 CYDU This look correct for my car?

Not sure, but if you can program your *.tun file into it then it is correct.

Regards
Paul

SV8346
May 12th, 2008, 07:05 PM
any idea when the tune side of things will be available from the V2 unit in BBL mode, not overly fussed about being able to write tunes from the V2 but would be nice if we could read them.

Is this something your working on at the moment or something that is planned for the future.

TFZ_Z06
May 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
see sig for versions.

You should be able to hook it up to your PC via the USB and full-reflash it via the RoadRunner control panel with your current PCM's tune. Then just swap it out with your existing PCM and you're good to go.

"No RoadRunner USB Device can be found" When I plug it in to the USB, it creates a com port. :damnit1:
getting closer, got it to communicate w/rr. When I try and program the device it says its not licensed, yet I have entered the serial #. ????????????

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
"No RoadRunner USB Device can be found" When I plug it in to the USB, it creates a com port. :damnit1:
getting closer, got it to communicate w/rr. When I try and program the device it says its not licensed, yet I have entered the serial #. ????????????

Does it say
1. RR is not licensed
or does it say
2. PCM is not licensed?

If 1, then you need an RR license. Let me know.

If 2, then you should not be using the normal reflash toolbar icon. Instead use the reflash toolbar icon in the RR control panel in EFILive.

Regards
Paul

ringram
May 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Given that CAN scanning can be done at a much higher rate than the old VPW used by the LS1's, it might be worth re-visiting the whole scan tool based spark and fuel control.
I'll keep it on the "to do list".

Regards
Paul

Yes please! Live tuning is one of the largest "nice" bits of tuning. It gets you that last 20% of power.

Also from my other post, a built in mini lookup of DTC error codes from the v2 tool so you can decifer that P0102 means etc.

TFZ_Z06
May 13th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Does it say
1. RR is not licensed
or does it say
2. PCM is not licensed?

If 1, then you need an RR license. Let me know.

If 2, then you should not be using the normal reflash toolbar icon. Instead use the reflash toolbar icon in the RR control panel in EFILive.

Regards
Paul
RRserial#0108010219210106
I was using the Road Runner dialog box. Also, when I put this serial in and start the program, it says the program is in demo mode too.
Ok, I guess I need a RR license.

XLR8NSS
May 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
You can do that now with the Black Box Logging beta software. Then open the log file in the existing V7 software.

The ability to scan two controllers at once will be fully supported in the EFILive V8 software.

Regards
Paul

I know but, it's too much like work to get all the PIDS I want in BBL right now. :P Plus, BBL keeps hanging at random times on my E38 right now. :(

When the bugs are worked out we are gonna be in for a treat. :)

Blacky
May 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
RRserial#0108010219210106
I was using the Road Runner dialog box. Also, when I put this serial in and start the program, it says the program is in demo mode too.
Ok, I guess I need a RR license.

Send me your RR purchase details and FlashScan serial number and I'll try and locate your RR license. Send to paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Yes please! Live tuning is one of the largest "nice" bits of tuning. It gets you that last 20% of power.

Its getting higher on the priority list :)

Also from my other post, a built in mini lookup of DTC error codes from the v2 tool so you can decifer that P0102 means etc.

That is being done right now.

Paul

Garry
June 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned before ... it would be nice if V2 remembered the PIDs last selected ... every time I hook it back up, I need to select the PIDs again ... combined with the situations where I get an error after low-power mode and have to disconnect to get BB working again makes it even more of a pet peeve ... :/

Blacky
June 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned before ... it would be nice if V2 remembered the PIDs last selected ... every time I hook it back up, I need to select the PIDs again ... combined with the situations where I get an error after low-power mode and have to disconnect to get BB working again makes it even more of a pet peeve ... :/

The next update allows you to select up to 4 "quick select" PID lists. You can select them from any menu by pressing one of the hotkeys Ctrl+F1 thru Ctrl+F4.

You can start logging by pressing the 0 key.

So after power-up, two key strokes will let you log any of 4 preselected set of PIDs.

You assign PID selections to each hot key in the Options.ini file.

Regards
Paul

BlackGMC
June 6th, 2008, 04:53 AM
My wish for the next version, can the rows in B5908-Fuel Mixture Spark Correction be displayed as AFR instead of EQ? It would make it alot easier IMO for those of use AFR instead of EQ...

Blacky
June 6th, 2008, 09:55 AM
My wish for the next version, can the rows in B5908-Fuel Mixture Spark Correction be displayed as AFR instead of EQ? It would make it alot easier IMO for those of use AFR instead of EQ...

The next version (version 8) has user definable axis units and user definable data units. You can set up any table exactly how you want it.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
June 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM

You mean you don't remember them all by now :grin:

Cheers,
Ross

BlackGMC
June 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM
The next version (version 8) has user definable axis units and user definable data units. You can set up any table exactly how you want it.

Regards
Paul

Sweet! Thanks paul

ahajr
June 14th, 2008, 06:20 PM

I second that request.

TFZ_Z06
June 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
When the switch tune option is avail, will it include RoadRunner functionality also?

Highlander
June 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
That would be awesome.. RR and v2... I have asked for this.. haven't I paul?

Blacky
June 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM
RR and V2 (without needing a laptop?) yes it's been requested many times. It is not a high priority but it is something we'd like to implement eventually.

Regards
Paul

nevinsb
September 21st, 2008, 02:18 PM
I could really use the ability to run the automated ABS bleed procedure from the flashscan.

gmperformancecentre
September 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
printing option would nice

nevinsb
October 22nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
I could really use BCM editing ability.

CoryF
December 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I understand that there advantages with the wideband being on a serial port instead of going through analog to digital converters. But the problem is that I have a V1 and I don't want to spend $550 to upgrade to a V2.

My AEM wideband has a serial output that I can wire up to a DB-9 connector, is there a way that EFILive can be integrated to use a program like "HyperTerminal" to record the AFR input from a com port instead of reading it as a 0-5v external voltage? Just an idea for some of us without V2 that still want the advantages of a "direct" AFR.

Not sure if this will even work but it would be nice for some of us perfectionists. :) A few extra wires while tuning but what one more? hehe :D
-CoryF

ringram
December 4th, 2008, 11:14 PM
You can probably get a Digital Analog converter and convert the serial WB into analog, but then you probably have the same problems with ground offsets again.. (ie) Save for $550 :)

CoryF
December 5th, 2008, 06:32 PM
You can probably get a Digital Analog converter and convert the serial WB into analog.

Ya the idea here would be to get rid of the analog to digital, or digital to analog converters... :D
-CoryF

Highlander
December 5th, 2008, 07:41 PM
The wb sensor already does the serial to analog to digital for christ sake.

CoryF
December 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Ya but look back at post 49 the idea here was to get rid of analog-digital and digital-analog converters all together and stick to digital.
-CoryF

joecar
December 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
He has a V1 which doesn't have serial AFR ability.

drdarthinvader
December 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
just an idea if theres a vehicle that needs this tool the most it would have to be bmw. great cars, attention to detail surpurb goes like a shopping trolley.
i could imagine how much a bmw dealership would charge just to reset fault codes...........

gmh308
December 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The bidirectional controls (DVT controls) will allo wyou to manually add spark and/or fuel. We've added extensive updates to the DVT controls in the latest beta software.

Adding spark/fuel per cell is not supported yet. We had it in version 5 of the software but it was replaced with functionality in the RoadRunner device. We may re-implement it in version 8.

Regards
Paul

Should the DVT functionality come back with any status when using Bi Directional Controls?

i.e. crank learn comes back with an "unknown error" and it is not clear whether it is proceeding or not.

Will an E38 that has crank learn being attempted on it, read back these status' if everything going ok:

"Crank Angle Error Sensing in Progress"
"Crank Angle Error Sensing Learned This Key On"

Cheers.

Blacky
December 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Should the DVT functionality come back with any status when using Bi Directional Controls?

i.e. crank learn comes back with an "unknown error" and it is not clear whether it is proceeding or not.

Will an E38 that has crank learn being attempted on it, read back these status' if everything going ok:

"Crank Angle Error Sensing in Progress"
"Crank Angle Error Sensing Learned This Key On"

Cheers.

Can you tell me if any numeric code was also displayed alongside the "unknown error"?

I don't think you'll ever see the message "Crank Angle Error Sensing in Progress", but if the sensor error has been learned this key-on, then you will see the "Crank Angle Error Sensing Learned This Key On" message if you attempt it again.

FYI: These messages are managed and transmitted by the ECM - not by EFILive. EFILive is just displaying the messages it receives from the ECM.

Regards
Paul

gmh308
December 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Can you tell me if any numeric code was also displayed alongside the "unknown error"?

I don't think you'll ever see the message "Crank Angle Error Sensing in Progress", but if the sensor error has been learned this key-on, then you will see the "Crank Angle Error Sensing Learned This Key On" message if you attempt it again.

FYI: These messages are managed and transmitted by the ECM - not by EFILive. EFILive is just displaying the messages it receives from the ECM.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul.

My apologies if I appeared to assert that EFILive was managing and transmitting the messages.

Did want to confirm though, that if the ECM does have these status flags available, that EFILive does present them transparently (or not), given they are True/False GM PID's (though admittedly may not necessarily be available in E38).

Will come back re the error message with some details.

Also, one PID that may assist with the Crank Learn routine, is the status flag that shows that the relevant brake pedal status is ok. While not likely an issue on production cars, certainly for conversions it is.

Cheers and thanks again for the rapid reply! :)

Blacky
December 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks Paul.

My apologies if I appeared to assert that EFILive was managing and transmitting the messages.

I just added the "FYI" for anyone else who may be reading the thread in future.

Did want to confirm though, that if the ECM does have these status flags available, that EFILive does present them transparently (or not), given they are True/False GM PID's (though admittedly may not necessarily be available in E38).

If the ECM transmits a response to FlashScan, then it will be displayed in the EFILive software. What I meant was that I don't know exactly which responses are valid (i.e. which ones you might see under different circumstances) for an E38.

Will come back re the error message with some details.
Thanks

Also, one PID that may assist with the Crank Learn routine, is the status flag that shows that the relevant brake pedal status is ok. While not likely an issue on production cars, certainly for conversions it is.
Cheers and thanks again for the rapid reply! :)

Yes, a valid point. However, if the brake pedal is not pressed the ECM will send back a messge to that effect, which will be displayed by EFILive.

Regards
Paul

GTPprix
December 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
E69-4 support.. that all i've got ;)

gmh308
December 10th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Yes, a valid point. However, if the brake pedal is not pressed the ECM will send back a messge to that effect, which will be displayed by EFILive.

Regards
Paul

Oki doki. Already covered. :).

Thankyou.

gmh308
January 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Regards
Paul

Happy New Year to all!

Finally got to trying the CASE again and tracking the error messages. Message returned is: "Unknown DVT Message: 0". Also sometimes get "No Reply, try again".

The DVT is partially working, as the MIL can be cycled via the Scan Tool, but the fans cant, and the CASE Relearn doesnt.

Any prerequisites, or should this "just" work.

Cheers.

Blacky
January 4th, 2009, 12:58 PM
It should just work, you should not get that error. Error 0 means there was no error, I do not know why EFILive is displaying the "error". It is possible, but highly unlikely that the PCM is returning a failure message with a failure reason of 0 (i.e. no reason at all).

Regardless, as soon as EFILive displays that error message, de-activate DVT controls. Then using FlashScan's key pad, save a trace file (F2->F3->F1) and then use EFILive_Explorer to copy the saved trace file from the [Scan] tab page in EFILive Explorer to your PC

Then, back in the Scan Tool software, generate an error report (File->Generate Error Report) and save the error report.

Email me the trace file from FlashScan and the error report from the Scan Tool to me at paul@efilive.com

Include a link to this thread so I know what it is about.

Regards
Paul

gmh308
January 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
It should just work, you should not get that error. Error 0 means there was no error, I do not know why EFILive is displaying the "error". It is possible, but highly unlikely that the PCM is returning a failure message with a failure reason of 0 (i.e. no reason at all).

Regardless, as soon as EFILive displays that error message, de-activate DVT controls. Then using FlashScan's key pad, save a trace file (F2->F3->F1) and then use EFILive_Explorer to copy the saved trace file from the [Scan] tab page in EFILive Explorer to your PC

Then, back in the Scan Tool software, generate an error report (File->Generate Error Report) and save the error report.

Email me the trace file from FlashScan and the error report from the Scan Tool to me at paul@efilive.com

Include a link to this thread so I know what it is about.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul. Will D/L Explorer and get back into it soon.

Does DVT require a certain version+ of scan tool firmware?

Cheers.

Chuck CoW
January 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I've got one that would benefit just about everyone.

When going to "FILE" at the top of the editor to open a file or save, or load alternate cal....you get he "classic windows" "open dialogue" window that shows you files in the "current" folder.

You can delete and re-name files...sometimes copy and paste, but I believe there are more "windows" functions that just do not work.

When opening a window to access files, sometime I run across a mistake or spelling bo-bo or whatever.

I'd like to have more functionality to be able to use more of windows inherent features from within that window....rather than having to open a window outside of efi live's editor to handle it.

While I realize that we're obviously opening EFI LIVE .tun files, but it would sometimes be nice to see (or have the option to) other files besides .tun ones.

I'm not entirely sure how those controls work when programming in windows environments, but I assume they are like permissions which could be enabled.

I dunno...Maybe it's just me, but all too often I find myself needing more functionality.

Chuck CoW

Highlander
January 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Last time I asked for something similar, I was told that Inherent functions from windows cannot be modified.

Blacky
January 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I've got one that would benefit just about everyone.

When going to "FILE" at the top of the editor to open a file or save, or load alternate cal....you get he "classic windows" "open dialogue" window that shows you files in the "current" folder.

You can delete and re-name files...sometimes copy and paste, but I believe there are more "windows" functions that just do not work.

When opening a window to access files, sometime I run across a mistake or spelling bo-bo or whatever.

I'd like to have more functionality to be able to use more of windows inherent features from within that window....rather than having to open a window outside of efi live's editor to handle it.

While I realize that we're obviously opening EFI LIVE .tun files, but it would sometimes be nice to see (or have the option to) other files besides .tun ones.

I'm not entirely sure how those controls work when programming in windows environments, but I assume they are like permissions which could be enabled.

I dunno...Maybe it's just me, but all too often I find myself needing more functionality.

Chuck CoW

EFILive uses the standard Windows dialogs. Everything you can do in a "standard" open file dialog should be available. What functionality are you expecting that is not available?

Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks Paul. Will D/L Explorer and get back into it soon.

Does DVT require a certain version+ of scan tool firmware?

Cheers.

As of Jan 04, 2009...

The latest version of V7.5.5 (build 77)
The latest version of V8.1.2 (build 44)

The latest V2 boot block should be 2.06.02.
The latest V2 firmware should be 2.06.06.

You can get the latest versions here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=124

After installing each of V7.5.5 and V8.1.2 you should perform the start menu options:

Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Tools->Check for New Updates,
to update from build 72 to 77.

And

Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Tools->Check for New Updates,
to update from build 42 to 44.

Updates will continue to be made available regularly. You can get the latest updates by performing the "Check for New Updates" option whenever you want.

Regards
Paul

gmh308
January 5th, 2009, 01:17 AM
As of Jan 04, 2009...

The latest version of V7.5.5 (build 77)
The latest version of V8.1.2 (build 44)

The latest V2 boot block should be 2.06.02.
The latest V2 firmware should be 2.06.06.

You can get the latest versions here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=124

After installing each of V7.5.5 and V8.1.2 you should perform the start menu options:

Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Tools->Check for New Updates,
to update from build 72 to 77.

And

Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Tools->Check for New Updates,
to update from build 42 to 44.

Updates will continue to be made available regularly. You can get the latest updates by performing the "Check for New Updates" option whenever you want.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul, 7.5.5.77 was already installed since Dec.

D/L'd Explorer, installed and updated to 8.1.2.44.

Explorer crashes every time if the FlashScan is plugged in. (V2.05.XX)

What am I doing wrong?

Emailed support.

Have a nice day!

ScarabEpic22
March 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Alright holy dead thread I know, but my request fits in the scope of this thread.

Would it be possible to add a DVT control for the E67 (and probably the E37/38/39/40/78) for spark similar to the LS1 PCM? Mostly just the Electronic Spark Control where you can advance, retard, add, and subtract a set amount of spark across the board (or individual cells would be sweeter!). Just having spark retard doesnt help a ton when trying to get optimal timing.

And if we get really lucky, another one for engine RPM? I think these would help a lot when tuning on a dyno where you could turn on DVTs to command a certain RPM then tune the spark in real time to find optimal timing.

GMPX
March 26th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Would it be possible to add a DVT control for the E67 (and probably the E37/38/39/40/78) for spark similar to the LS1 PCM? Mostly just the Electronic Spark Control where you can advance, retard, add, and subtract a set amount of spark across the board
Sorry but that can't be done, the spark limitation in the DVT's is an ECM thing, not us. I have no idea why GM would want to do it that way, but they did.

ScarabEpic22
March 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Sorry but that can't be done, the spark limitation in the DVT's is an ECM thing, not us. I have no idea why GM would want to do it that way, but they did.

Dang, figured Id ask anyway. Bummer!

jimter
April 6th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hey Guys i would really like to have the ability to bbl external pid's without a host ecm connected. i could build a frequency to voltage converter and basically have all the functionality of a LM-2 Without having to buy any extra hardware.

Thanks,

Chuck CoW
April 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
My Efi Live wish list is just about as long as my

Christmas wish list was as a kid.....

Asteroids, Atari, Atari 800 computer, Atari 810 disc drive, acoustic modem,

the Hayes 1200 baud modem (was high on the list!)....BB GUN, Motorcycle, and the

list went on...and on...and on....

As for EFI LIVE???

I'd like to be able to have customers "CLEAR FUEL TRIMS" with AutoCal from the device with no laptop.:grin:

I'd also like to tune BMW and Mercedes vehicles with EFI LIVE and charge $1,500 per tune instead of $500.

I'm a simple guy with simple needs....
Chuck CoW

Tre-Cool
April 6th, 2011, 10:32 PM
^^ seeing as they run mostly bosch controllers, it wouldnt defiently be an area efilive could capitilize on. not user software on the market for them.

GMPX
April 7th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I just couldn't find the enthusiasm for those vehicles to do it.

Chuck CoW
April 7th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I just couldn't find the enthusiasm for those vehicles to do it.

Yeah but.... Trust me, I have no love for those cars either... But, for profit reasons (just like the Duramax craze:grin:) it might be well worth it....

I mean, so long as nobody neglects us V8 GAS guys in the process....:angel_innocent:

Tuning Mercedes and BMW cars might command triple what gas cars do and for that matter,

maybe a vin license could be $150 and streams could be $4,000????

Interested???

Chuck CoW

Tre-Cool
April 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
you've obviously never been in a supercharged e55 or e63 then?

lol.

GMPX
April 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM
No, I don't know any lawyers or gangsters to ask for a ride :sly:

Tre-Cool
April 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
i would have thought with the kiwi's having cheap import tax's for cars there would be plenty of them running around new zealand.

GMPX
April 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
That wouldn't help me here in Melbourne :unsure:

swingtan
April 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
One thing I that I got tempted with last year was a "Dynamic Fuel Load" PID for the E38 ( and others might like it as well... )

I've been looking at dynamics for a while now and really would like to know what the ECM is calculating the dynamic fuel load at. Using other things, like IBPW, Exhaust AFR, etc doesn't really work well as I have a pretty good feeling that all the calculations are "additive", meaning that the DFL is always changing by different amounts, depending on temp, RPM, MAP, airflow and throttle open / close. Add to all that, the fact that the exhaust readings are delayed by different amounts depending on airflow makes it quite hard to tell what is going on.

I know it's a bit of messing around, but a DFL PID would be really great.

Next up is an Android / iPhone version of ScanTool that can chart log files, maybe even with a virtual dash....

Simon

joecar
April 12th, 2011, 02:21 AM
LS1B and T42 tables for transmission in-gear pressure.

swingtan
April 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
How about....

In ScanTool, to zoom the chart data, you hold <CNTRL> and scroll the mouse wheel.

Scroll up = zoom in, scroll down = zoom out.

Simon.

And to add to that....

When altering chart properties, such as the scale max / min for a given PID, it would be good if it was saved with the chart. Currently if you swap PID's then the default scale settings are used.

swingtan
April 21st, 2011, 09:54 PM
Another one for ScanTool.

It would be great to be able to set a "limit line" in the charts so you can scroll through and find data around particular values. My idea is that you could click at the top or bottom edge of a chart and drag into the data area. This would bring a line down, parallel to the top/bottom with a small data box that showed the chart PID value that corresponded to the position of the line. When you release the mouse, the line stays where is is but the data box disappears.

Simon

gmh308
April 23rd, 2011, 12:14 AM
The ability to vary the CAN node number of the V2 unit so that OBDII gauges could run concurrently with V2 scanning. Not sure if this is possible, but it would be good.

Plus, the ability to read/record and put together/assemble CAN messages for transmission on the CAN. i.e. message that tells ECM that handbrake/ebrake is on so Crank Learn will run.

Dont like the chances, but gotta ask!

Happy Easter to y'all!

swingtan
April 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Another for ScanTool.

When highlighting a section of a log, we get the minimum, maximum and average values for the displayed PIDs. It would be good to either...

also have the difference between the max/min values listed
or
have the option to toggle the average display between average and difference (perhaps a right click option)

Simon

joecar
April 27th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I like the difference/range between max/min values... :cheers:

Mr. P.
April 28th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Full support for custom PIDs - add a dedicated form/interface for creating/editing/managing custom PIDs; it would be bitchin in the PIDs (F8) folder-tab to have the ability to right-click on a custom PID, and in the context menu have an option to edit that PID in a trick winform (rather than having to futz with the calc_pids file).

A pet aggrivation - I moved the EFILive folder from My Documents to a flash drive, because I use the software on multiple computers, and when EFILive is started and cannot find any folders (defined in Properties --> Folders) the software just craps-out. It would be nice that instead of throwing an exception and giving up that EFILive will at least still load so I can go to the Properties menu and update those folder locations.

The DTV (Bi-directional control interface) is clumsy to me, too many checkboxes & "safeties" to click & unclick.

Mr. P.

Mr. P.
April 28th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Another pet-peeve - changing units in the tuning tool is very cumbersome; can you support changing units when looking at the table?? i.e. when displaying {3647} it would be awesome if a person could click on the "Units" textbox and be able to instantly toggle the chart/display between Lambda/EQR/AFR; likewise be able to click on the light-blue chart row/column headers and be able to instantly toggle between metric/SAE. As it is now, I cuss to myself and have to close my work, use the Edit menu item & Configure Display Properties option - my way would be more 'direct' and not require loosing train of thought to configure the tool.

Mr. P.

GMPX
April 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I think keep in mind with these suggestions most of them will never see the light of day in V7 tune/scan, many of these requests or peeve's are known and are addressed for the V8 software development.
Mr.P, how would the DVT control be handled better? Most of the double check boxes are safeties are imposed by the way the ECM processes the DVT's, in other words, you have to tick box A to enable box B or the ECM will refuse your request.

swingtan
April 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
As long as they're on the cards somewhere, I'm happy ;)

Blacky
April 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Seems like a calculated PID editor is popular, see screen shot for what it will be like.
Note: The V8 software is still under development and won't be released for some time yet.

Regards
Paul

kangsta
April 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Seems like a calculated PID editor is popular, see screen shot for what it will be like.
Note: The V8 software is still under development and won't be released for some time yet.

Regards
Paul

mmm thats hot. I hope the ability to add PIDs based on their offset will still be available in V8 :)

Mr. P.
April 29th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I think keep in mind with these suggestions most of them will never see the light of day in V7 tune/scan, many of these requests or peeve's are known and are addressed for the V8 software development.
Mr.P, how would the DVT control be handled better? Most of the double check boxes are safeties are imposed by the way the ECM processes the DVT's, in other words, you have to tick box A to enable box B or the ECM will refuse your request.
No Prob - trust me I totally understand real-world SDLC!

DVT controls - I actually have a lot of ideas, that would best be 'visually' communicated; I will make an effort to set-aside time and draft something in Visio. The CHIEF problem with the V7 DVT GUI is that the controls are waaaaay too far apart from each other - in real-world testing, this means you have to (using a mouse touchpad on a laptop no less!) drag the cursor from one quadrant of the screen all the waaaay over to the opposite corner/quadrant of the screen etc; in real-life use I find I have to do a lot of clicking, dragging, 'mousing', visually scanning the screen to try and locate the next relevant control (click target). I have to make the mouse cursor "cover a lot of screen real estate" to operate controls, and this is not bad unless you are limited to using only a 14" laptop with a touchpad (or worse, the tiny thumb/joystick) and it just adds clumsiness when you are doing it live (under time pressure). Not knocking what is already there, it's functional but this (the DVT GUI) is a difficult design problem, because it is an interface that will be used in real-time.

Seems like a calculated PID editor is popular, see screen shot for what it will be like...
YES! Everyone's life will be happier when you don't have end-users screwing with config files lol.

This might seem overkill, but I will mention it -

One of the most popular things guys on this forum do is to share custom PIDs, and PID selections. At the moment with V7, you cannot share a custom PID - in other words, you cannot "email" someone a custom PID that they can double-click on and it just gets "incorporated" into EFILive; that would be a handy-as-hell feature IMO. The bigger thought is - not only to make a software product that allows and individual to tune their own vehicle, but now (in V8?) to make a software product that easily lets persons in the EFILive community to share "bits and pieces"; V7 does allow this already (chart files, etc). So I would also extend this thinking to PIDs in V8, somehow break the PIDs from being defined/captured in a single text file into a folder of tiny text files (one per custom PID) that can easily be published/emailed between users. That way when a contributor like Joecar or WeathermanShawn writes a tutorial, they are not burdened with the formidable job of having to walk a complete n00b through the process of using Notepad to edit the PIDs config file PLUS how to write the metadata description for the PID itself PLUS how to incorporate that PID into the PIDs being monitored... ad nauseum... It would greatly help the community if the person writing the tutorial just said "click HERE and this custom PID will be imported into EFILive!"

Mr. P. :)

Blacky
April 29th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Appreciate your comments, very well said. Both ideas you've described above are very important to the V8 design and development.

The V7 scan tool configuration was never really designed, it just sort of expanded along with each new software update and each new added feature.
Because V8 is a green fields development project we are able to capture the configuration in such a way that it will be a relatively simple process to share Scan Tool PIDs, dashboards and other configurations.
The same goes for the config in the Tune Tool.

I know what you mean about the DVT controls being used in real-time and the difficulty of using the mouse while sitting in a vehicle with limited space and limited input options.
Your ideas on making it easier to use are most welcome... :)

Regards
Paul