PDA

View Full Version : Pros: green horn stuck

Gonz
February 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
E38
Had v1 for years no problem went to V2,working fine on 07 tahoe,will not read CAL on 07 avalanche 6.0 Y engine code.When it starts to read I get this "connection to PCM has been lost check cables...." I have pulled the onstar and audio fuses. Have the V7.53

Any suggestion ideas

ScarabEpic22
February 7th, 2008, 07:39 PM
V1 cant read/flash CAN controllers, including the E38. Need to get a V2.

Gonz
February 8th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I went to V2 I am using V2, I think I seen a BCM fuse, if should I pull it ? I am wondering if anyone here has done a avalanch with the 6.0 engine.

ScarabEpic22
February 8th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Interesting, you should only need to pull fuses for onstar and audio if you have an aftermarket HU and/or onstar is interfering with the read. have you tried not pulling the fuses? BCM fuse, dont pull it, no reason to and it might mess something up.

Gonz
February 8th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I have pulled the onstar and the audio fuses no go. It does have blue tooth added.

ScarabEpic22
February 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM
That shouldnt make a difference, thats what I was saying. It should only be an issue if you have an aftermarket HU, and Im gathering you dont so you probably dont need to pull the fuses.

That said, since you did pull the fuses it should still read, so I dont know. What build do you have, 7.5.3 build 36 is the latest. Also, hook up the flashscan first to the car, then to the computer, then open the tune tool. I know it can be picky on my TrailBlazer. What firmware are you using on your V2?

Gonz
February 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Eric thanks for taking the time to reply,I really appreciate it.I have the 7.5.3 what I am now hearing is I need to make sure I have the V70 firmware,I believe I have the 60

ScarabEpic22
February 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
That might be it, and no prob. I check here often and although Im still a noob when it comes to tuning anything other than my oddball 4.2L I6 P10, I try.

Gonz
February 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Folks are here to help ,got input from Justin ,Paul and Eric,Kyle.Thanks to all ,I now have V70 firm,I will try it again Mon. Hope it works

hquick
February 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hmmm....there was another thread here somewhere that someone was having the same/similar trouble.
I think they pulled the ABS fuse as it was waking up half way through the read/flash process and causing the read/flash to drop out.
I THINK it was the ABS fuse...sorry can't remember 100%.

joecar
February 8th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Any modules that could jump on to the bus should be disabled (pull their fuses)...

I can't remember, but the ABS and the BCM may cause trouble when flashing on some vehicle model or other.

It's ok to pull the BCM fuse(s)... when you restore the fuse(s), the BCM just reboots itself (it's like disconnecting/reconnecting the battery).

ScarabEpic22
February 8th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks joe, didnt know if pulling the BCM fuse would be an issue or not. And I think it was the ABS module...

Gonz
February 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I mentioned BCM fuse because,this AVALACHE I am trying to read the cal on, was bought new last FEB. diablo had a programmer that just came out for it.I ordered it,tried it on our new 07 tahoe,installed basic tune"couldnt tell any difference" pulled the tune,loaded it into my buds new AVA 6.0 and killed it.Sent it to diablo the said its fried,sent it back and said make GM eat it.We did ,then told my buddy dont even try the new programmer they sent. He did, the same thing,again GM ate it. The dealer now was asking questions but replaced it.07 sema show we talked to diablo and they said we fixed the problem and found it was AVA 6.0 specific that the PCM was talking to the BCM was the problem and had thought they figured it out.Wasnt going to try again.Now just two days ago I talked to Jesse because thats where I plan to send the CAL to tune.He said no way the BCM will do that,it independent.He did say pull the onstar and audio fuse(blue tooth added) ,because when I tried to read it there was all kinds of relay clicking going on under the dash and a SES light was set the auto AWD quit for a short period and the SES light went out on its own.So thats the story just as it went down,I am green horn and now that I have the latest firmware I hope to accomplish the simple goal of having this read CAL.Thanks to all AWESOME forum with great folks to help the computer handicapped.

joecar
February 9th, 2008, 06:09 AM
On some models (e.g. Camaro/Firebird), the BCM is not physically connected to the serial bus, so it can never grab the bus.

On other models (e.g. Grand Am), the BCM does have a serial bus connection and does grab the bus occasionally (and this is causing me some grief on my Mrs's GA).

So Jesse's right, it depends on what vehicle you have, you would have to check the wiring diagrams for your vehicle.

dynarex
February 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
i had the same trouble with my 08 sierra 6.0 y motor
but after i tried it the second day it worked fine:nixweiss:

GMPX
February 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Gonz, how far does it get in to the read? On CAN based controllers (which I am assuming this is given we are in the E38/E67 section) generally interruptions by other modules cause few issues. That was more a problem with the older upto 2006 etc vehicles.

Cheers,
Ross

Gonz
February 11th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Yes it offeres the choice of PCMs,it acts like it would if you didnt plug in the
obd2 connector and hit start,same message about the same time

Gonz
February 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
We tried it again today,same thing will not read cal.I know its something simple I am not doing or a step I skipped or there is something about this application that is different than others ran into 07 Avalanche Y engine.Appreciate you guys trying to help

Gonz
February 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hey pros.Is it possible GM could have locked this PCM because they eat 2 of them,due to the diabo tuner?

ScarabEpic22
February 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
GM locks all their ECM/TCM/PCMs, it is EFILive's job to unlock them and provide us with access to the binary data (in the form of .tun files and the tables in them). They wouldnt lock it differently, but just for kicks when you go to read the ECM select the checkbox that says "Try Alternate Keys" to see if you can get it to read that way.

Gonz
February 12th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Yes I tried

Gonz
February 12th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Here is what I get every time

Blacky
February 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Check the USB driver version installed on your system - it should be 2.2.4. To do that, connect FlashScan then...

1. Right click on My Computer, select Properties. (Shortcut key is Windows+Pause/Break)
2. Select [Hardware] tab page, click [Device Manager] button.
3. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" item.
4. Right click on FlashScan V2, select Properties.
5. Select the [Drivers] tab page.

Check the driver version number, it should be 2.2.4.0. If it is not then you should update to the latest driver available here:
http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads4

Regards
Paul

Gonz
February 12th, 2008, 01:48 PM
OK guys thanks for your patcience and help.It was 2.0 and now have the updated .I will report back tomorrow.I am betting this does it

Gonz
February 14th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Did not work.I dont know what to do. Out of frustration I may have to just buy a tuned PCM.Man I hate giving up.

Blacky
February 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM
If you want, you can return your V2 to EFILive and we can test it (no charge) to make sure there is no fault in the V2 device itself. Let me know if you want to do that.

Regards
Paul

Gonz
March 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM
mystery solver,dealer had removed pin 6 it was taped up in the harness.read cal. no problem

Blacky
March 4th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Glad that you eventually got to the bottom of it :cheers:

Not glad about the dealer's deliberate sabotage of the OBDII conenctor :Eyecrazy:

Regards
Paul

joecar
March 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Why did the dealer remove pin 6...?

Gonz
March 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #13

ScarabEpic22
March 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #13

I dont think they can do that.... Id rip them a new one, just say your OBDII scanner wouldnt connect and it caused you lots of agony. If nothing else maybe it means they wont do it again, if they happened to any of my cars I would be infuriated.

However Im glad you got it fixed! Now to tuning that beast!:cheers:

Blacky
March 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I dont think they can do that

It is strange that the dealer thought they should/could do that, considering that the vehicle needs to pass emissions tests and part of the requirements are that a scan tool must be able to read and display the on-board test results. There's no way a scan tool would work if pin 6 is disconnected.

Regards
Paul

Gonz
March 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I was wondering if GM instructed them to do it?

ScarabEpic22
March 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
It is strange that the dealer thought they should/could do that, considering that the vehicle needs to pass emissions tests and part of the requirements are that a scan tool must be able to read and display the on-board test results. There's no way a scan tool would work if pin 6 is disconnected.

Regards
Paul

No kidding, but then again new cars dont usually have to pass emissions (at least in WA, CA's a different story) until they are 5yr old. My TrailBlazer passed (even with a slightly messed up EVAP canister...:help2: ) for the first time this past December, never had to go in before then.

I was wondering if GM instructed them to do it?

That might be the case, especially if the dealer knew about the Diablo tuner and thats why they were replacing ECMs.

Gonz
March 4th, 2008, 04:03 PM
dealer didnt know about the diabo,GM requested both pcms be sent back.
dealer was asking my buddy a lot of questions,