PDA

View Full Version : Problems with V2 Connection

SV8346
February 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
when i plug V2 into any of the computers i have here that have efi live installed on them and updated i can not get any form of a connection with V2. None of the buttons on V2 respond when plugged in, EE does not recognize that V2 is plugged in and nor can i access any part of V2. On the front of V2 all i have is the very far right hand green LED staying on at all times while plugged into any of the computers. I have checked and double checked that all usb drivers are installed and i have previously had V2 plugged in and working fine.

PLEASE help as i need to purchase a new licence ASAP but since i cant access V2 i cant get the codes needed.

Tordne
February 8th, 2008, 07:36 PM
So does the FlashScan V2 boot fully from USB power (i.e. you see the FlashScan splash screen and all)? Does it show the menu options etc afterwards?

SV8346
February 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
No wont boot at all, no splash screen or anything.

Tordne
February 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM
You mentioned that you've tried different computers. Have you tried different USB cables?

Also, does it boot when connected via OBDII to your vehicle?

SV8346
February 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Haven't got any spare cables. Boots fine when connected to the car.

Tordne
February 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM
The USB cable is not "special"... Do you have a USB printer or anything with the same connections?

SV8346
February 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Not at home at the moment but will be home soon and will try a spare cable i have.

SV8346
February 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
ok just tried another cable at home, still no good. It will connect to the car for black box, it will connect for pass through but will not connect if just V2 connected to the laptop.

Blacky
February 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Check that FlashScan is getting enough power from the USB hub/controller.

1. Right click on "My Computer", select Properties.
2. Select Hardware->Device Manager.
3. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers item.
4. Right click on each of the "USB Root Hub" items and select "Properties", then the [Power] tab page, until you find the one to which FlashScan is connected.
5. Make sure that the hub can supply 500mA and that FlashScan is "asking" for 500mA.

See image.

Regards
Paul

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM
ok i tried what you said blacky but in my list of usb items non of them has efi live within any of the usb hubs, the one i have is list as unknown device. When i go into that one i have tried to uninstall it 110% the unplug and replug the flash scan then reinstall the drivers. Every time i try to reinstall the drivers it tells me that the drivers don't match what i am trying to install therefore i can use those drivers.

I have run out of fingers and toes to count on for the amount of times i have uninstalled the USB drivers and reinstalled the USB drivers but to no avail. Nothing i seem to do can get any of my computers to be able to recognize V2.

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 01:23 AM
ok i know the drivers must be installed correctly because when i connect V2 up to the car with the laptop i can access the V2 and access the vin license section that i need. but untill i can work out what the hell is going on with it i cant connect the V2 upto my laptop or any other computer to be able to do any firmware updates if needed.

Blacky
February 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Have you run the FTClean utility that removes the FlashScan USB drivers. Available here: http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads5
That should allow you to re-install the drivers correctly.

Regards
Paul

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
yeah tried the FTClean, but still no go. When i plug V2 back into the laptop it tells me the device has failed and is not recognized. I tried to reinstall the drivers but it tells me the drivers are not for the device plugged in and cannot be used.

Does it use the same drivers when logging or tuning in pass through mode because that all works fine.

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
is there anyway possible that i can connect V2 to the laptop via the RS232 cable.

Tordne
February 9th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Can you please send us (to support@efilive.com) a screenshot of the following:
- Connect FlashScan V2 to your PC
- Open the Tune Tool
- Select the 'Help->FlashScan V2 VIN Licensing' menu option

The RS232 is a serial input (not currently enabled) and is not able to be used for device connectivity.

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM
yeah no worries tordne, gimme a few minutes as i'm just trying to do a repair install incase a file has been stuffed up. if that fails aswell i'll get the screen shots you.

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
email sent with screen dumps

Blacky
February 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
is there anyway possible that i can connect V2 to the laptop via the RS232 cable.
No, none that would be effective.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Maybe FlashScan is no longer recognised by Windows. That can happen if the USB EEPROM identifer gets zapped. I've only seen it happen once or twice but it can happen.

Download and install this utility, which allows you to read and reprogram the USB EEPROM in FlashScan:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities/MProg3.0_Setup.exe

Run the MProg program.
Plug in your FlashScan device.
Select menu option: Tools->Read and Parse.

You should get a screen with the same values (as the attached image) highlighed in the red circles. If not, let me know.

Regards
Paul

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM
ok i tried the program you said blacky and it came back with no devices found

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Just so that your aware blacky this problem is when i am trying to connect the V2 to the laptop in standalone mode to be able to check/program firmware/VIN Licenses. The V2 works fine in passthru mode when connected to the car.

SV8346
February 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM
ok i got a couple of screen dumps from when it is connected to the car

Blacky
February 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Just so that your aware blacky this problem is when i am trying to connect the V2 to the laptop in standalone mode to be able to check/program firmware/VIN Licenses. The V2 works fine in passthru mode when connected to the car.
Right, well that pretty much indicates one of two things:
1. The USB port on the computer is not supplying more than 100mA
or
2. The USB power circuit in FlashScan has failed and is not providing power to FlashScan from the USB cable.

Given that you have tried it on other computers with the same result, that means it is probably a failed USB power circuit in FlashScan. It will need to be returned to EFILive for repair. Send me an email to paul@efilive.com to organise the return.

P.S. Are those flash counters correct? Looks to me like there may also be a display bug when displaying the flash counters.

Regards
Paul

SV8346
February 10th, 2008, 08:34 AM
ok no worries, not sure about the flash counters as i dont know what they should display. If they are suppose to display the number of flashes that this V2 has performed then they are definitely wrong.

edit: do you have MSN messenger, i would like to chat to you about this first if possible.

bobo
February 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
My V2 is doing this very same thing now. Who can fix it in the USA?

Blacky
February 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM
My V2 is doing this very same thing now. Who can fix it in the USA?

Warranty returns in the US are handle by Ira at Fish Tuning in CA, Phone: (310) 499-0989.

Regards
Paul

bobo
February 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Warranty returns in the US are handle by Ira at Fish Tuning in CA, Phone: (310) 499-0989.

Regards
Paul

Thank you. I just called!:cheers: