PDA

View Full Version : 01 suburban 5.3liter tune

newguy2diesel
February 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
i am trying to see a tune that has been modified for better gas mileage and maybe a little more power. if any one has one it would be greatly appreciated!! i nees a base to start with. thanks guys:help2:

cmitchell17
February 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Heres mine about the only thing you can really do for gas milage is lower the o2 switchpoints in the low load regions to around 250mv and make DFCO come on more.

At part throttle adding timing wont do anything from what ive noticed.

Afterhours Performance
February 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Here is my tune for my 01 silverado, I am actually in the process of autove, but it is very close, I have noticed a little more power and a little bit better fuel mileage (for a 4x4 truck) also i've played with my trans tune a little also, I lovethe way mine shifts. My truck is BONE stock. Caution: this is my speed density tune so only use as ref. Hope this helps:cheers:

cmitchell17
February 16th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hey, do you get your transmission to get a hard shift on the WOT 1-2.
Is your trans. stock?

What mods do you have on your truck? It looks like your running stock timing and stock AFR.

cmitchell17
February 16th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Sorry I forgot you said your truck was bone stock in your post.

With no TR on my trans It probably wondnt even be able to shift at WOT on the 1-2.
I can't get my trans the way I want becuase everytime I change it one way I want it the other. I try to get it to shift stock luxury at low throttle then once you get on it shift hard, but my trans wont shift hard on the 1-2 at WOT.

Afterhours Performance
February 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
My WOT 1-2 is not quite as snappy as i'd like it, but i have found for some reason that if i back off ever so slightly from WOT just before its going to shift it shifts quite a bit harder (enough to chirp big michelins) I prefer a reasonably hard shift all the time (harder shift= less slippage):cheers:

ScarabEpic22
February 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I know what you mean, even with a great tune I could barely (and not all the time) chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift at WOT. Do yourself a favor, get a Vette 1-2 servo and put it in. My 4.2L I6 will roast the tires on the 1-2 shift with 0 TM, 0 shift times and stock line pressures, I had to actually turn down the LPs for the 1-2 at the higher end because it was neck-snapping (as in my head actually hurt after a bunch of city driving). The servos are cheap, like $15-20 brand new and on a fullsize you should be able to install it without dropping the trans. Well worth it IMO.

cmitchell17
February 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but im too scared to put one in. With TR I can get mine to be pretty quick but since theres still TR left in you don't feel it as much.

ScarabEpic22
February 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I understand, I paid my trans guy to put mine in after I messed up the install. A few 4.2L I6 guys have had the Vette 1-2 swapped in for like $50-60 installed.

Afterhours Performance
February 19th, 2008, 05:28 PM
isnt all thats required to change servos out is to pull them out the side and squeeze the new one in isnt it?? Sorry i'm used to playing with PG's-only has one and has a circlip to hold it in

Afterhours Performance
February 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
How do you go about finding out which will fit?? Are they all pretty much universal in the 4l60e??

ScarabEpic22
February 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yep, thats it. Just remove the old servo assembly, pull the 1-2 one off, put the new 1-2 one on (and OD if you go that far), put it back in. It is recommended you test fit the new ones to make sure the clearances are correct, I didnt do this on mine and lost 4th gear after a while. Paid a trans guy to install it properly, tons better. Basically, just be careful and make sure you do it exactly how the instructions say.

The Vette 1-2 servo can be bought from GM, but eBay has them (yes they are pretty much universal but just get one that says for a 4L60E) for less than $20 new. Billet ones are more like $70-90 but have an even larger apply area than the Vette one (think Vette is 15-20% more than stock, billets are like 60-70% more than stock). The Vette one is great and inexpensive, but if you are making lots of power the billets are the way to go.