PDA

View Full Version : Still Learning and need help

WS600
February 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I've had EFILive for a little over a month now and I'm still learning. I've recently drilled out the whole on my TB as a recomendation fom a tech at a local HP store. In addition to this my transmission went out the same week. When i got it back with a new 3200 stall torque converter I had some idling issues. A friend (Joe) and I have been able to fix most of it with the Throttle cracker and adjustments to DAF. Today I tried to log IAC steps and I'm positive I have all the correct PID's selected, but none of them say or are displayed as steps. What am I doing wrong?

5.7ute
February 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
The pid you are after is the GM.IAC idle air control position. This is in the air sub group of pids.

WS600
February 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks, I've spent all day trying to figure this out. Thanks alot....

The Alchemist
February 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
get rid of that hole and tune idle with EFILIVE properly mate. Thats a common stop gap for people who are trying to fix idle issues with larger T/B's and don't have EFILIVE to sort it all out. The hole in the T/B causes more problems than it solves

Mike

Doc
February 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
^x2

eurospec1
February 19th, 2008, 01:54 AM
get rid of that hole and tune idle with EFILIVE properly mate. Thats a common stop gap for people who are trying to fix idle issues with larger T/B's and don't have EFILIVE to sort it all out. The hole in the T/B causes more problems than it solves

Mike

Agreed, i'd stop taking advice from any tuner who told you to drill a hole in the TB...

jfpilla
February 19th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Agreed, i'd stop taking advice from any tuner who told you to drill a hole in the TB...

Why would you tell him to get rid of the hole?
You realize he has an F-Body. The TB comes from the factory with a hole.

eurospec1
February 19th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Why would you tell him to get rid of the hole?
You realize he has an F-Body. The TB comes from the factory with a hole.

yes, but drilling it bigger is a backyard beaver way of trying to make it idle correctly. If the tuner would take the time to set the IAC counts, running air flow and throttle cracker/follower correctly then theres no need to take a drill to any TB :)

Doc
February 19th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Enlargening an exisiting factory hole or drilling a hole in a solid TB blade in order to increase bypass air demonstrates a lack of understanding of the relationship between the position of the TB blade, set screw, IAC valve (in cable driven systems) and the software it'self.

In the case of the cable driven TB system, bypass air must be negotiated into the ball park by the pitch of the TB blade by the TB set screw. Finer control of bypass air is accomplished by the software, (Desired Airflow) thru the position of the IAC valve.

ETC equiped vehicles eliminate the TB set screw and IAC valve and simply use the TB blade to control bypass air.

Proper calibration of this system using RAFIG/RAFPN will negate the need to drill the TB blade.

jfpilla
February 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Doc, you are very humble.:Eyecrazy:
There is no lack of understanding on my part when it comes to TB's.
The poster pointed out that the tuner had already had him drill the TB. So showing how smart you are doesn't help him, particularly since drilling is not the worst thing unless the hole is too big. He likely did not need to drill since his cam isn't that big. If the cam is very big then drilling may be unavoidable.
The point is try and help not engage in theory.
Again, if drilling the blade is "awful" why does it come with a hole.

Doc
February 19th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Doc, you are very humble.:Eyecrazy:
There is no lack of understanding on my part when it comes to TB's.
The poster pointed out that the tuner had already had him drill the TB. So showing how smart you are doesn't help him, particularly since drilling is not the worst thing unless the hole is too big. He likely did not need to drill since his cam isn't that big. If the cam is very big then drilling may be unavoidable.
The point is try and help not engage in theory.
Again, if drilling the blade is "awful" why does it come with a hole.

Hmmm... I don't recall directing my rehotric towards you joe.:nixweiss:

But since you have taken it so personal I will direct the following to you. I was not engaging in theory. I was explaining how the system works.

If you do drill too big you will need to replace the blade- not fun. Running the risk of replacing a perfectly good TB blade for no good reason when you have the most powerful LSx scantool availible-I don't see the reason for the risk???

Just because GM put a hole in some of their TBs doesn't warrant drilling them.

What size cam is "Too Big?" I have yet come accross a H/C combo that has required me to drill a hole.

jfpilla
February 19th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Doc, don't flatter yourself. I'm not the least offended by your "rhetoric". You still miss the point. Go back and read what was being asked by WS600 and answered by 5.7ute. He was then told to "get rid of the hole". It comes with a hole and we are talking about f-bodies not Corvettes. I'm annoyed by the post taking a turn for a new user, that could sound worrisome to him, when it's not that big a deal and it's made to sound like anyone who drills a hole is an idiot.

The Alchemist
February 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hi JFPILLA, I can see where you are both coming from, for sure. Over here in NZ its a common suggestion by various experts to "drill the hole" which isn't necessary if you have EFILIVE and usually achieves mixed results anyway if you don't. I didn't realise that F-bodies, which we don't have over here, already have "the hole" so I apologise if I have put anyone wrong.
Cheers,
Mike

5.7ute
February 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM
The way I see it is once you have increased the air requirements at idle there are a few differing opinions on how you should satisfy that need.
Bumping up the set screw has its limits as the TPS can exceed the minimum voltage & will not reset to zero. Drilling the TPS mount holes & rotating the sensor can be used as a fix.
Increase the desired air. This brings the IAC counts up away from the area of greater control.
Drill the throttle body. Can be time consuming as you only want to increase in small increments.
I have only tuned the one cammed car (my own) in which I used a mixture of bumping up the set screw & drilling the TB to get my IAC count to around 40 when warm. This has had no negative impact on the cars drivability.
If some of the more experienced tuners can explain their methodology I am sure they will have a most attentive audience in this forum.:cheers:

jfpilla
February 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM
5.7ute, that looks pretty complete, just throw in the idle reset.:cheers:

WS600
March 1st, 2008, 11:14 AM
Well not to add or take away from a very informative and important debate but just to clarify the reason as to why drilling the hole was done and what actually worked in the end. I was told by a tech at Comp Cams to drill the hole as it would be the quick and easy fix and won't hurt anything. He did tell me to increase the hole at very small increments which is what i did (in fact only once). Then by taking the advice of a much more experienced tuner, I adjusted with the TB set screw to get the desired IAC steps and followed the rest of his direction. Now I have a near perfect step reading. Thanks for the advice Joe, It couldn't be working better.