PDA

View Full Version : Release of 98 tuner

87gmc
October 25th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Will the cable be the same or is it going to be a different cable or strickly software. The reason i ask is my truck is a 99 and f-body is 98. What i wanted to was purchase it when released and then upgrade to 98 when that model is released. Just didnt know if it was cable or software upgrade then 98 is released :idea:

dissonance
October 25th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Will the cable be the same or is it going to be a different cable or strickly software. The reason i ask is my truck is a 99 and f-body is 98. What i wanted to was purchase it when released and then upgrade to 98 when that model is released. Just didnt know if it was cable or software upgrade then 98 is released :idea:

the cable is the same, and it comes with two vins so the 98 support will only be an update to the software.

87gmc
October 25th, 2004, 02:34 PM

the cable is the same, and it comes with two vins so the 98 support will only be an update to the software. :mrgreen:

Blacky
October 25th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Anyone who has purchased a FlashScan interface with at least the Personal level license will be able to use the 98 definitions to tune any 98 LS1.

That being said, remember that EFILive is making available the calibration definition document so that a 98 calibration definition can be created by the user community. Once it is created EFILive will offer it free of charge to EFILive FlashScan Customers.

Tuning any 98 PCM will not use up a VIN slot so you'll still have 2 slots.
That also means you can tune as many 98's as you like.

It all hinges on how well the 98 community can put together a calibration definition.

Regards
Paul

87gmc
October 26th, 2004, 01:56 AM
calibration definition what exactly is meant by this? i know i know im stupid :?:

dissonance
October 26th, 2004, 02:08 AM

WOW! I was not aware of this! thats the best news I have heard in sometime. I guess it's time for a 2nd 98z :)

87gmc,

Calibration definition is information that is needed so the software knows how to store the changed data in to the PCM. VE tables, Timing Tables, etc... So the 98 guys will be working on a file that gives flashscan the needed info so that it can program the pcm with the changes you have made in the tuner.

87gmc
October 26th, 2004, 02:23 AM

WOW! I was not aware of this! thats the best news I have heard in sometime. I guess it's time for a 2nd 98z :)

87gmc,

Calibration definition is information that is needed so the software knows how to store the changed data in to the PCM. VE tables, Timing Tables, etc... So the 98 guys will be working on a file that gives flashscan the needed info so that it can program the pcm with the changes you have made in the tuner.

Thanks for that info, I learned something new today

Blackbird
October 26th, 2004, 10:56 AM
are there instructions how how to help provide these definitions?

I have a 98, and would love to use flashscan and help out with definitions if I can.

Blacky
October 26th, 2004, 12:46 PM

I have a 98, and would love to use flashscan and help out with definitions if I can.

The intialfile format specification has been released to the beta testers. It will go public as soon as the beta testers agree that it is "working" correctly.

Regards
Paul

87gmc
October 26th, 2004, 01:53 PM

The intialfile format specification has been released to the beta testers. It will go public as soon as the beta testers agree that it is "working" correctly.

Regards
Paul

I love the way you guys stay on top of things. I have a feeling it wont take long for flashscan to be on top of the others :D

JxxxOxxxE
November 25th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Someone please let me know what I can do to help the 98' progress along.

So is it expected that Flashscan will be ready to use on the 98's on the expected release of Jan 3?

Highlander
December 2nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
I can post many of the 98 cal information.. as soon as flashscan is released i will work on it...

Brains
December 3rd, 2004, 03:38 AM
Highlander, get with me on any 98 info you have. I'll be working heavily on this myself, and want to make sure we get as many 98 revisions as we can.

AllCammedUp
December 3rd, 2004, 06:01 AM
Is access to bench-programming equipment and 98 PCM's necessary to develop the calibration?

I know we need a boot-loader to read the PCM w/ the flashscan cable, but I'm curious as to how everyone is planning on 'developing' the calibration unless you have specific equipment and can get the data from the PCM.

If I'm off base, please tell me.... just wondering how to get started here and help out.

Blacky
December 3rd, 2004, 07:07 AM
Is access to bench-programming equipment and 98 PCM's necessary to develop the calibration?

I know we need a boot-loader to read the PCM w/ the flashscan cable, but I'm curious as to how everyone is planning on 'developing' the calibration unless you have specific equipment and can get the data from the PCM.

If I'm off base, please tell me.... just wondering how to get started here and help out.

Until the bootloaders are done, the calibration work can progress using plain old 98 bin files. Obviousyl it can't be loaded back into a PCM, yet. But it is fairly easy to compare what *should* be in the cal file with what shows up on the screen when you load in a bin file using the "development" 98 cal def files.

P.S. as soon as I ship these beta units, I will make a start on getting EFILive 98 enabled. So you guys can at least make a start.

Regards
Paul