PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs advice

GrandSport
February 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I am new to EFI Live and to flash programming and am looking forward to it. I have had a fair amount of experience working with the “antiques” with EPROMs but until now have had no pressing need to move on to newer technology. I am building a kit car as a replacement for my old autocross / road race car. I have a GMPP crate motor LS7 and want to use the GM 2007 Corvette Z06 ECM (e38) for engine management rather than any of the aftermarket controllers that are available. I plan to use the engine in stock trim initially and tuning will probably be minimal until I have the car sorted out, so my immediate programming requirements will be for disabling control and monitoring functions that will not be utilized. I have downloaded and reviewed the EFI Live software and it appears to address all the needs except replacement of the OFF/ON/START commands that are provided via the GMLAN system to the ECM by the BCM. However, I’ve found in the Z06 service manual that the ECM program has a “fail safe” system that utilizes combinations of signals from the Ignition 1 circuit and the Accessory circuit to provide OFF/ON/START commands in the absence of GMLAN communications. So I think that by using EFI Live, I’m set to go, but I would appreciate a word from some of you who actually know something about this instead of charging ahead because I think so. Am I overlooking something?

ScarabEpic22
February 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Im almost 100% sure with EFILive you can drop an LSx motor with a E38/E67 ECM into almost anything and get it to run. IIRC there are about 3 or 4 tables that you need to change to bypass the stock GM security stuff and get it to run. Ive never touched an LSx motor though, someone who deals with these all the time can help you better than I. :)
Sounds like a cool project though!

GrandSport
February 26th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks Erik. Appreciate the quick response. - Bob