PDA

View Full Version : E38 VVT to a E67 VVT is it possible

nycblazer
February 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM
hello guys i need your imput in this tuff choice

can i swap the stock tune w/VVT program from a 2007 escalade that comes with a E38 ecm
to a E67 ecm. i need to know i have a guy doing my harness right now and hes asking me if i want to keep the vvt stuff. i said yes but he said no.
he said in order for me to keep the vvt i need to use a e38 ecm. heres a copy and paste of his email maybe you'll understand a little better.

Okay, you have a choice to make, either the truck is gonna work and your gauges will funciton along with ABS, OR, the VVT will work.
In order to make the truck work ,it'll take an E67 and proper programming.
In order for the VVT to work, it'll take the E38 which uses different connectors than the E67, and can not be programmed to make your gauges function.

so what i'm doing right now is swaping a 2007 6.2L L92 vvt engine into my 1999 chevy s10 blazer. if this this helps.
:help: :help:

GMPX
March 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
E67 is more than capable of doing VVT, the problem is there is no factory E67 6.2L program.
I would go with the E67 and work on getting the VVT working after it's it (we can probably help there).

Cheers,
Ross

nycblazer
March 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
E67 is more than capable of doing VVT, the problem is there is no factory E67 6.2L program.
I would go with the E67 and work on getting the VVT working after it's it (we can probably help there).

Cheers,
Ross
the guy is doing my harness and i need to let him know e38 or e67
i looked at both ecm's and the plugs are different one had less pins
so for now i told him to make it for a e38 and i'll use the stock computer from the 1999 blazer to control the guages.

GMPX you think i could get the VVT working with the E67 .
are you sure
i really want to keep the VVT

nycblazer
March 4th, 2008, 12:08 AM
anyone

GMPX
March 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
nycblazer, I do battle to keep up with all forms of support, spending a whole day (or more) transferring over VVT into the E67 probably was a little optimistic for me to say.

I still would have gone with the E67, at least you can get it working at a later day but use it to run the cluster.

Cheers,
Ross

nycblazer
March 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
ok i'll get the ecm harness made for the e67 hopefully i can get the VVT and maybe the DOD going too.

let me know if you find or got to add the VVT to the E67

thank you soo much for your input

GMPX
March 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
We do currently have VVT controls in the E67, but only the main tables, there will be some underlying this that will need to be set up.
We'll work on this with you when the engine is in and running.

Cheers,
Ross

nycblazer
March 10th, 2008, 12:34 AM
for now i'm still waiting on my harness to show up. the guy doing my harness said he will leave the VVT wires out because he doesent know where to pin them up to on a E67 ecm
so as soon as i get this engine running let's see what we can do with the VVT stuff, and maybe also the DOD that'll be nice also to have.

thanks for your help GMPX

nycblazer
April 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
ok i got my e67 harness for my 2007 escalade 6.2L engine mated to a t-56. where do i pin the vvt wires to.
i was looking at a 2007 cadilac cts-v stock tune would it work for my application. its a 6.0L VVT e67 with a t-56 i think it should work.
i just need to find out where to pin out the VVT wires.

GMPX
April 8th, 2008, 04:25 PM
You mean you don't have a wiring schematic to follow :unsure:

nycblazer
April 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM
my harness was made from scratch by current performance.
it was made to adapt the 2007 6.2L L92 engine with a t-56 to a 1999 4 door blazer.
so where would i get the schematic for both.

nycblazer
April 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
nycblazer, I do battle to keep up with all forms of support, spending a whole day (or more) transferring over VVT into the E67 probably was a little optimistic for me to say.

I still would have gone with the E67, at least you can get it working at a later day but use it to run the cluster.

Cheers,
Ross

gmpx

i did go with the e67 ecm and harness, did you get to finish transfering the VVT into the e67.
i know your a busy man and thank you soo much for all your help.
thanks
junior

nycblazer
May 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM

Cheers,
Ross
i went with the e67 and its on my L92 engine now, but what program should i run
it with

spending a whole day (or more) transferring over VVT into the E67 probably was a little optimistic for me to say.

Cheers,
Ross

i got everything hooked up, the clusters are working fine now. i'm just trying to get it started with a 2007 ctv-v tune for now because it uses the e67. i need some help here, it really is kicking my butt.

here is the cts-v tune

http://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3281&d=1210678918

and the 6.2L VVT tune

http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/TuneFileRepository/Stock/GMC/2007%20GMC%20Denali%20Truck%20Automatic%20L92%206. 2%20Litre%20(PCM%2012614088).tun

nycblazer
May 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
:help:

ScarabEpic22
May 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I think you will have to do some segment swapping to make it work, I dont know how to do it but from what it sounds like you need an E67 ECM and a T42 trans controller to make it work. Hopefully someone can help you out as you need the E38 6.2L settings in a E67 6L tune...

nycblazer
May 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
400 + views and no one knows the big question. did i ask a $$$$ question? everyone wants to know the answer. even me.

some one is gonna make alot of money if they figure this one out. remember that.

04colyZQ8
June 19th, 2016, 08:40 PM
400 + views and no one knows the big question. did i ask a $$$$ question? everyone wants to know the answer. even me.

some one is gonna make alot of money if they figure this one out. remember that.

This has bothered me for a long time, as a harness builder specializing in Colorado/Canyon Hummer H3 swaps I'd love E67 VVT tune for a T-56, I get requests all the time! and don't have a proper solution!

Hp tuners has a option to enable the VVT in the 07 Cts-v tune but I'm 100 positive that wont actually work? Any production based E67 VVT tune uses 12633264 pcm, and I'm pretty sure even if the codes correct in a 2009 and prior E67 the VVT won't work, as the pcm doesn't have the hardware. Loading a 09 and prior tune into a 2010 12633264 pcm will likely brick it!

I tired a 2010 CTS-v tune, and a 2010 Camaro tune but neither have the class 2 gauges working? As they are CAN based platforms. I've looked at the raw code of the CTs-v and the Colorado canyon code, and they are layed out quite differently, I did my best to offset the code and find the differences in the shifted files, and swapped segments, I did something right as it thankfully didn't brick the PCM! But it also didn't make the gauges work either.. so I'm at a loss with that for now..

The only other option I can think of is using the 2010 Canyon/Colorado V8 OS and trying the automatic/manual switch that hp tuners has implemented but it doesn't seem to work 100 percent engine still stumbles because its not receiving the clutch signal? When coating down, And cruise doesn't work. I'm not sure if this guy didn't try a 08-12 Colorado 0-5 volt clutch switch? And try wiring it to the same positions as a 2.9L/3.7L manual trans Colorado/Canyon

Someone who has a DBF cough..cough Efi live.. can probably determine how to turn on the reverse lockout for the t-56, set from manual to automatic, turn on the 0-5volt clutch switch feeds, for starting and cruise! Or enable class 2 functions and gauge outputs on the 2010 CTS-v file??

Please someone help, I will help with anyway that I can! Bench testing, bin file code changes, you name it.. maybe some cash donations.. would help to efi live? I would be totally happy having to pay 150.00 for a custom OS that efi live sells to make this work... think of all the profits you could make, I know there are guy with S10s, and Colorado/Canyons that would love for this two work!

As a bonus if you go the route of enabling class 2 functions on a Cts-v then you can run a supercharged V8 with all factory functions in a Colorado/canyon, and S10!!

I've exhausted a lot of time and energy into this, I just don't have the know how that the team at efi live has!

Taz
June 20th, 2016, 01:13 AM

LOL - no significant money to be made here, at least not directly. The R&D costs were profit prohibitive.

Taz
June 20th, 2016, 01:15 AM
... I tired a 2010 CTS-v tune, and a 2010 Camaro tune but neither have the class 2 gauges working? As they are CAN based platforms. I've looked at the raw code of the CTs-v and the Colorado canyon code, and they are layed out quite differently, I did my best to offset the code and find the differences in the shifted files, and swapped segments ...

All Gen 4 platforms are CANBus based - but different platforms use different methods when Serial Data (Class 2) communications are needed. The most common option seems to be that the BCM handles this task. Serial Data (Class 2) output to the IPC may be enabled on most E67 operating systems.

... Someone can probably determine how to turn on the reverse lockout for the t-56, set from manual to automatic, turn on the 0-5volt clutch switch feeds, for starting and cruise! Or enable class 2 functions and gauge outputs on the 2010 CTS-v file??

Yes - all of these may be enabled / disabled on most E67 operating systems. The Starter Control algorithms and Cruise Control algorithms are a bit complicated (and partially interdependent).

... Please someone help, I will help with anyway that I can! Bench testing, bin file code changes, you name it.. maybe some cash donations.. would help to efi live? I would be totally happy having to pay 150.00 for a custom OS that efi live sells to make this work... think of all the profits you could make, I know there are guy with S10s, and Colorado/Canyons that would love for this two work!

There are no real profits for these endeavours when you have to attempt to recoup the R&D costs. I would need to sell 100 packages with a $1000 premium added to the already hefty price tag - just to recover the R&D costs.

... As a bonus if you go the route of enabling class 2 functions on a Cts-v then you can run a supercharged V8 with all factory functions in a Colorado/canyon, and S10!!

It is easier to enable all of the Supercharger control functions in the Colorado tune.

... I've exhausted a lot of time and energy into this, I just don't have the know how that the team at efi live has!

LOL - let me know when you surpass 2000 hours and $100,000.

04colyZQ8
June 20th, 2016, 04:16 AM
All Gen 4 platforms are CANBus based - but different platforms use different methods when Serial Data (Class 2) communications are needed. The most common option seems to be that the BCM handles this task. Serial Data (Class 2) output to the IPC may be enabled on most E67 operating systems.

Yes - all of these may be enabled / disabled on most E67 operating systems. The Starter Control algorithms and Cruise Control algorithms are a bit complicated (and partially interdependent).

There are no real profits for these endeavours when you have to attempt to recoup the R&D costs. I would need to sell 100 packages with a $1000 premium added to the already hefty price tag - just to recover the R&D costs.

It is easier to enable all of the Supercharger control functions in the Colorado tune.

LOL - let me know when you surpass 2000 hours and $100,000.

Lots of great info here, thanks for the fast response:)

I had no idea that would cost so much!!

You don't have to implement the code into efi's program if that's a hassle at least until we prove that it works? That's the beauty of efi, part of the reason why I like it so much, is that it lets me work with bin files, that I can change the code on, providing we know what to change? There is a chance that just enabling the IPC class 2 output is all that's needed to make the CTs-v or Camaro OS work. Is that something that could be added to efi's program or could you let me know the hex address of the Boolean and or code changes for it, and I'll test it out, and if it works it can be added to efi's program down the road for others to use?

I wish I had a 100,000 to donate to it, but I'm sorry I do not, it feels like a insult I'm sure to offer 150.00 again, but that's all I can afford unless customers want to pay me 99,850 for my harnesses:)

Anyway thanks again for your time, and thank you EFI live for all the changes that we can make, and for the constant support of newer vehicles, I've done some incredible things with this software, and couldn't be happier with it!

nycblazer
June 20th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Check out http://www.mastmotorsports.com I think they're the ones in control of this VVT manual stuff but with their harness and ECM ✌️����

Taz
June 20th, 2016, 08:41 AM
... You don't have to implement the code into efi's program if that's a hassle at least until we prove that it works? That's the beauty of efi, part of the reason why I like it so much, is that it lets me work with bin files, that I can change the code on, providing we know what to change? There is a chance that just enabling the IPC class 2 output is all that's needed to make the CTs-v or Camaro OS work. Is that something that could be added to efi's program or could you let me know the hex address of the Boolean and or code changes for it, and I'll test it out, and if it works it can be added to efi's program down the road for others to use? ...

I have Starter Control, Cruise Control, Gauge Outputs, ECM auto & manual trans inputs / outputs, Supercharger controls, and few more goodies sorted out for the E67, and to a lesser extent the E38. These have all been tested on multiple operating systems, and the resultant OS Patches, Parameters, and Tables have been fully integrated into my version of EFILive via numerous cax files.

Hence the R&D costs - given the real world testing and completion of an undertaking this large, and across numerous operating systems.

Given the cost of this R&D - it is obviously something that I will not give away. I was simply paying you the courtesy of letting you know that your efforts are not futile - it is possible - if you have the time and money (like everything else in life).

04colyZQ8
June 20th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I have Starter Control, Cruise Control, Gauge Outputs, ECM auto & manual trans inputs / outputs, Supercharger controls, and few more goodies sorted out for the E67, and to a lesser extent the E38. These have all been tested on multiple operating systems, and the resultant OS Patches, Parameters, and Tables have been fully integrated into my version of EFILive via numerous cax files.

Hence the R&D costs - given the real world testing and completion of an undertaking this large, and across numerous operating systems.

Given the cost of this R&D - it is obviously something that I will not give away. I was simply paying you the courtesy of letting you know that your efforts are not futile - it is possible - if you have the time and money (like everything else in life).

Haha I understand I have starter type serial or 12 volt, gauges class 2, cruise tables, and a few other goodies mapped out for the E40, it was a pain staking process to do by trail and error, flipping Booleans, and copping one line of code at a time from one platform to another, In the process a bricked a new E40 and lost my licence to it, from HP tuners, at the time. I spent approximately 500 hours of my own time to do this, but I own the truck to do the testing on. The trouble is that I don't have a 58x motor to test with. Otherwise maybe I could figure it out..but you seem smarter then me, so it might be a waist of my time to try. At this point I only have about 40 hours into trying to get the gauges to work, via class 2 on the CTs-v. So that's a drop in the pound..

Anyway I see what you mean I don't want to just give away my knowledge of the E40 either, its different if you don't have to go line by line in the code to try in find what you want.. lol I must of flashed the E40 that I had over 300times lol... poor thing maybe its lucky that it got bricked??

Taz
June 20th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Nice work on the E40 ...

I keep detailed notes on calibration R&D - so as to not go over the same ground twice. The controllers are resilient - I have only destroyed a few of them. Regarding flashes - the original E67 test mule saw well over 1000 flashes in the process of getting everything sorted out. I think I was 100 flashes just getting the PWM Tach squared away.

04colyZQ8
June 20th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Nice work on the E40 ...

I keep detailed notes on calibration R&D - so as to not go over the same ground twice. The controllers are resilient - I have only destroyed a few of them. Regarding flashes - the original E67 test mule saw well over 1000 flashes in the process of getting everything sorted out. I think I was 100 flashes just getting the PWM Tach squared away.

Nice good to know they can handle it..lol I get so impatient waiting for the flash to take place.