PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Rumble
February 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Well here it goes,
I am a drag racer and I have always paid to have someone else tune my "02 Camaro". I have put together a 430cu.in. iron block LS1 engine Dart heads, Fast 90mm intake, TPIS throttle body. Compression is "high", Cam is mechanical and "Big". Jesel is helping out on the inside too. This is a track only car, open KOOKS headers, slicks, TH400, high stall converter, low gears in a Mark Williams rear end, one seat, absolutely no street use. This car has been in the build stage for 2 yrs so far. I want to be able to tune it at the track for the conditions on that day. I don't intend on using the MAF, just the throttle body. We have a great tuner locally, and he has offered to help, for a price, that is only fair. The problem is I don't want to depend on him every time I go racing, his schedule wouldn't allow it anyway. I want to get a different laptop that is only used for tuning at the track, so any info on what to use would be apprieciated, I think a model with XP is prefered. The tuner that I have worked with before is helping me out and he says an IBM with 40 gig, and XP would be ideal or close to. I am new to all of this so I have been shopping and to tell you the truth I have been looking at HP Tuners also. In fact there is a simular post on HP Tuners. It is in the lounge area posted as "New to tuning always paid someone else to do it". I don't know which company to buy from so for now I am just trying to get info on the pros and cons of both programs. Where do I start? I would like to have a few answers to my questions so I don't look like a complete idiot around these guys that I am dealing with. They have tuned with both programs, HP Tuners and EFILive and like them both. What should I do, just pick a program and go for it? We are attemting to dyno tune this engine before we put it into the car. I have a Speartech harness that was built to fit our DynaFlow dyno at the machine shop where I work. We are about 2 weeks away from starting up the engine. I am just trying to get a handle on the tuning aspect before hand, and not go into panic mode.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Rumble

ChipsByAl
March 1st, 2008, 02:01 AM
Using the engine dyno will speed up the tuning process. You will likely need to have an experienced tuner at the dyno to speed things along and keep the engine in one piece. EFI Live has a very powerful scan tool and if you can get a hold of a RoadRunner PCM to use, will make the tuning effortless.
Al

dfe1
March 1st, 2008, 04:10 AM
The's no doubt in my mind that EFILive is far superior to HPT, and I think it's indisputable that EFILive tech support is unmatched. You'll also find that there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on this forum who will provide a lot of help.

If you don't have any tuning experience, the best bet is to start with an engine that's already running decently. That way, you can make a few changes, see the results and learn without hurting anything or knocking your head against the wall. You'll also have something to relate to when you're working with the tuner who will be helping you.

Keep in mind that when you start dealing with an aggressive camshaft and larger-than-stock throttle body, you'll need to get into areas you never have to deal with when you're tuning an engine with a stock cam and throttle body. Take things slowly so you get a good understanding of what you're doing-- and what you need to do.

joecar
March 1st, 2008, 06:22 AM
Rumble,

Welcome to the forum... :cheers:

You have the factory PCM, right...?

Then you want the EFILive FlashScan V1 cable (which allows black box logging at the track) and wideband O2 sensor.

You can try the EFILive software right now (without the cable it still allows you to read and view log and tune files),
get V7.4.2 from here: http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx

(It only costs 1 license when you write a tune to the PCM, and you need the cable for this).

As for laptops, you can get just about any current name brand for a reasonable price
(e.g. Dell with 1GB ram and 80GB disk is $500; smaller than 80GB costs the same),
just specify Windows XP when you buy.

If you are running the 2002 F-body PCM, you can run a custom operating system (COS) in your PCM...
in particular, EFILive's COS5 includes a TPS vs RPM VE table (in addition to the original MAP vs RPM table) which helps in tuning idle fueling with a big cam; COS5 also has a MAP vs RPM open loop fueling table which replaces the original ECT vs RPM table).

Oh, and all the COS's are free (no licenses, no money). :cheers:

Read the AutoVE tutorial to see what is involved in tuning your VE table,
get the tutorial from here: http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads7

The AutoVE procedure first sets up OLSD (open loop speed density, no MAF, no O2 sensors) mode, and then tunes your VE table(s) from comparing the commanded AFR to the wideband measured AFR; once you have the VE table tuned, you dial in the AFR you want for best torque/power; you would then leave your PCM in OLSD mode.

Idle tuning is more difficult, but it's learnable/doable, there's forum members who have gotten good at idle tuning and are willing to help;
everyone on this forum is helpful and knowledgeable (thank you to all... :cheers:).

Oh, what sized injectors do you have...?

So, there is some learning curve, but you'll master it in no time, and doing it yourself will allow you to control every controllable aspect the way YOU want it.

EFILive concentrates on GM tuning.

EFIlive fits the F-body like a glove... the two were made for each other. ;)

Cheers,
Joe
:cheers:

ScarabEpic22
March 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Welcome man!

I dont know as much as the guys above me, but I do know for big cammed cars that EFILive's COS5 makes tuning these a TON easier. Might want to download and play with a COS5 .tun file to see what tables it gives you. HPT has something similar I think but you have to pay for each COS with a credit or 2, EFILive you just license the car and get access to all current and future COSs for free.

Ive been tuning for almost 2 years on and off now, still dont know a ton and there is a steep learning curve (learned most in the first few months, rest has been tips & tricks plus a lot of tweaking). Take it easy at first, and then build yourself up. My car was my DD so I couldnt devote a bunch of time to it with school and everything, sounds like you can invest more time and effort than I can :D.

Good luck!

Rumble
March 1st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys for all the replys. I do have the stock pcm but will probably go with a RoadRunner PCM, if I go with EFILive. For now, I know, I have to read as much as I can and make a decision on what to purchase. After all this is suppose to be fun, so if I keep that in mind and not go into "Panic Mode", all of this will turn out good. As far as the laptop goes I bought a, returned from lease, used Lenovo T43. It has XP, good battery life, 40 gig hard drive, 1.8 processor, 1 gig ram, and should be fast enough. Got it off of tigerdirect. The shopping list will be talked about next week with the tuner, but I will read all the suggestions in the posts you guys send. My problem is, right now, the accronyms throw me off. I will catch on after a while.

TAQuickness
March 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Rumble!

As mentioned above, learning to tune a fuel injected engine has a steep learning curve to it. Learning the in's and out's of a tuning software is it's own distinct learning curve.

EFILive is easy to use and helps tremendously to ease the learning curve associated with EFI tuning. Couple the Road Runner PCM with EFILive and you'll quickly find that nothing on the market comes close to matching the bang for the buck.

Many of the EFILive resellers offer telephone support to help get you going. The EFILive forum has a tremendous wealth of knowledge and knowledgeable folks that are more than willing to help you on your way. There are no stupid questions here!

EFILive customers also benefit from free software updates for life. This includes the custom operating systems (as mentioned above COS5 is bad ass), scan and tune tool updates, and firmware updates (applicable to V2).

If you take a look at the history of late model GM tuning, you will find that EFILive has lead the pack since they stepped into the ring. "Often imitated, never duplicated!"

Good luck with your build. Whether or not you choose to go with EFILive, you are welcome to post any questions you may have here.

Rumble
March 3rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Joecar,
The injector size is 60-65.
Everybody,
I am on my way over to the tuner, we will talk when he has a chance, the place is always busy. I will say this, about this forum, I have had much more interest generated over my post than at the other forum. So, as far as the shopping list goes, 1. EFILive, 2. The RR PCM, 3. and an Innovate wideband 02 sensor. But I will check this out with the tuner and then know exactly what to get. But you guys have basically convinced me that this is the way to go. THANKS!!!

Rumble
March 5th, 2008, 06:08 AM
OK,
It is done, I contacted Thunder Racing and Jeff was really great. He took the time to help me out and understand what I was ordering. I ordered V2-EFILive, a RR PCM + 1 license. Along with that I ordered an Innovate LM-1 for dyno tuning and two LC-1's with guages to be mounted in the car. "The molecules are coming together".

joecar
March 5th, 2008, 06:21 AM
OK,
It is done, I contacted Thunder Racing and Jeff was really great. He took the time to help me out and understand what I was ordering. I ordered V2-EFILive, a RR PCM + 1 license. Along with that I ordered an Innovate LM-1 for dyno tuning and two LC-1's with guages to be mounted in the car. "The molecules are coming together".Cool... :cheers: ...and welcome. If you like cars (motors in particular), you're going to be happy. :D