PDA

View Full Version : new to me laptop not work with efi

Aint Skeered
March 3rd, 2008, 01:33 AM
ok , i try to view tunes on the lap top and it tells me that it is going to be in demo mode with out being plugged in to a pcm or registering. I registered it with my Dads laptop and that is what i have been using. I tried to plug it in to my laptop in a car i have been tuning and it tells me something about a bootloader not being right. I recall it saying my tune is locked. Could there be something in my tuning tool on my other lap top that is set to lock the tune?

I am not looking at it on screen right now but maybe some one will know what it is telling me and understand what I am saying it done. ANy help would be great full to get my laptop working .

also any tips to hook an LM1 up would be great. Not the Lc1

Aint Skeered
March 3rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
By the way this is a Dell inspiron 2650 laptop. It is about 6 years old but has window xp home edition.

joecar
March 3rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
A.S.

Some questions:

Are you using FlashScan V2 (curvy with LCD and LEDs) or V1 (small rectangular with LEDs only)...?

Which version of EFILive software (do Help->About in the scantool and tunetool)...?

After you registered (Help->Register EFILive), does it stop saying "Demo Mode" in the Help->About display...?

Are you able to copy the text log that tells you the bootloader is not right and/or tune being locked...? If you can, paste it into this thread.

Is this on your 2005 Avalanche...?

So it works ok on the other laptop, but this problem shows up when using this laptop, do I understand this right...?

Regards,
Joe

Aint Skeered
March 3rd, 2008, 06:30 AM
It works great on my dads laptop but just gives me problems on this one. I have copied my tunes that Ihave done on other vehicles on to a disk and tried to put them on my computer and it wont let me read them.

I tried to even open them with efi live tuner and it just shows up as a written file. dont come up as a program.

I dont have internet on my laptop so it will be hard to copy and paste in here but to answer your question if I read it right I have v2 and have not rergistered with the new laptop.

joecar
March 3rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Using your internet laptop, download and save this file:
http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7_5_3_Setup_Files.zip

Then copy this file to your non-internet laptop, open it and execute the installable file.

Then from scantool or tunetool go Help->Register EFILive and enter your registration info (from the blue card that came with your V2).

Then you should be able to open the tune file, and hopefully you'll be able to read/flash the PCM in your vehicle.

Let me know how all this goes.

Cheers
Joe

Aint Skeered
March 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Using your internet laptop, download and save this file:
http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7_5_3_Setup_Files.zip

Then copy this file to your non-internet laptop, open it and execute the installable file.

Then from scantool or tunetool go Help->Register EFILive and enter your registration info (from the blue card that came with your V2).

Then you should be able to open the tune file, and hopefully you'll be able to read/flash the PCM in your vehicle.

Let me know how all this goes.

Cheers
Joe

I lost the blue card but is there some way I can go into my working laptop and get the information to register the other one?

joecar
March 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Yes, on your working laptop go Help->Register EFILive and look at the license info, copy it to a piece of paper and to your other laptop.

But, first I would uninstall the EFILive software, and reinstall 7.4.2 from here: www.efilive.com/downloads

Aint Skeered
March 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
is the 7.4.2 different from what I had in april of 2007?

joecar
March 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
It's the same, but it seems to me that something has gone wrong with it (for example, you said it tries to open the tune file as a text file).

joecar
March 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
All:

Aint Skeered has told me he's not very good with computers,
so if you see something then please speak up, let's help him out. :cheers:

(we all like cars, computers are a necessary evil... :D... there are many people who aren't good at computers)

Thanks.

ScarabEpic22
March 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Yep, sounds like a bad/corrupted install. Remove whatever EFILive software you have on it, download 7.5.3 EFILive 7.5.3 (latest version) (http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7_5_3_Setup_Files.zip) and install this.

Trippin
March 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Dell Laptops sometimes have a problem with the USB ports. If your using a USB port on the side try one in the rear.

Aint Skeered
March 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
hey guy's, I have not been on this thread as me and Joecar took it to Pm's. i seem to have it worked out now, I was trying to copy on to a disk and open it in my other laptop but since then used a usb memory stick and it worked great. That and then haveing to register my efi live into the new laptop. I since installed the 7.5.3 and got it working as well. I came back to my boat (job) for a week this morning and wont be home untill next Tuesday to hook it to my Avalanch to see if it is truely fixxed but all systems seem to be a go.

I love tuning with the efi live but the computer side of it is a pain in my arse.:Eyecrazy:

THere is a lot of stuff on here that I read about and would like to try but when I see that I have to go into the program and change pids and such, I cringe up and dont try it. I am not experienced at working with excel spread sheats and such so that is another problem. I will just keep asking questions when I have them and if you all can keep helping me out, This will be apreciated.:cheers:

joecar
March 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
No worries... :cheers:

Aint Skeered
March 6th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Thanks.

Aint Skeered
March 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM
ok now it is asking me to update firmware . I try following the steps but cannot find the proper file name. any tips? It wont let me load a tune in v7 or 7.5

ScarabEpic22
March 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Update firmware: Start->All Programs->EFILive V7.5->Update FlashScan V2 Firmware. Plug in V2 while holding the CTRL button to enter dead-poll mode. Then click status to make sure its ready to upgrade. Click Browse and it should be in C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\, look for the file "FSProg_V2_4_70.ffw". Select the file, then click Program. That should do it, unless you're using the new beta firmware in which case this doesnt apply. Then I dont know...

Aint Skeered
March 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks man, I got it. I was looking in the wrong places