PDA

View Full Version : Turbo LL8- Need advice!

projectile
March 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi! I'm new here. I am installing an '06 Trailblazer inline 6 in a '66 Nova and adding a turbo to it. I need help with a few things;

Which pcm should I use?(P10, P12,E67...)

Can I disable VATS?( I'm not using the BCM)

Any other issues that I may have overlooked?

I am going to have at least 8-10 psi of boost, no cat, and an electric fan. I don't want to use a stand-alone system if I can help it because of the need to control the transmission, coil on plug, and
the variable valve timing, plus still use all of the factory sensors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ray

ScarabEpic22
March 16th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hey Ray, well since we currently cannot use the P10 to run an efan, I would recommend either a P12 or E67. Also, the 06-07s use the P12 from GM, 08+s are E67 so I would stick to what it came from the factory with. I think you can disable VATS, pretty much thats it except use a 2Bar MAP sensor and have to pioneer tuning it. And either use a MAF or turn off all the codes for it and run SD. I might be working on a P12 swap for my P10 and then see if I can s/c my I6 in my 02 TB. Havent really looked at it in a while, trying to focus on school then in May Ill hopefully be able to do the swap and get it running. Then move to the s/c.

projectile
March 18th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do.

ScarabEpic22
March 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Please do man!

ryans1000
September 26th, 2009, 07:54 AM
update?

projectile
September 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Just got the car painted. I will start the assembly stage of the car in about 2 months. I have not decided on the hp level. I drive a small block twin turbo camaro on a daily basis and i don't think that i will be happy with just 400 hp. For now i am considering an engine teardown for lower compression pistons,etc. I want to run an E67 ecm, just need to figure out the crank and cam sensors. I believe the E67 requires 58X crank signal, if so, i may need a different crankshaft. I hope to have it running in about 7 months. I'll post more when I make some more progress. Any advice or tech help is always appreciated, thanks.

ScarabEpic22
September 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
08-09 I6s have the 58x crank reluctor, get an 06+ motor too as they were improved in late 05 for the 06 MY. And for a custom build you've got the right idea, you're doing yourself a favor swapping cranks so you can run an E67, tuning them is a piece of cake compared to the P10 (cant do boost) or P12 (can do boost but not as many options as the E67).

Chevy366
September 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Not to change the subject , but GM did a twin turbo TB as a SS model , it was a concept model and was considered before or with the SS V8 .
Don't know what they had as a PCM in it thought , wish someone could snag that tune from GM would be great to have .
There was someone else that did a vid from overseas that had a single turbo on a 4.2L as well , think they had a problem going into reduced power mode after a few runs .
Here is a link for a V8 reluctor change may work for the L6 :http://www.goodson.com/technical_support/tech_library/PE07_LS.pdf . gives a idea as to what is involved in changing one .

ScarabEpic22
September 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Not to change the subject , but GM did a twin turbo TB as a SS model , it was a concept model and was considered before or with the SS V8 .
Don't know what they had as a PCM in it thought , wish someone could snag that tune from GM would be great to have .
There was someone else that did a vid from overseas that had a single turbo on a 4.2L as well , think they had a problem going into reduced power mode after a few runs .
Here is a link for a V8 reluctor change may work for the L6 :http://www.goodson.com/technical_support/tech_library/PE07_LS.pdf . gives a idea as to what is involved in changing one .

Believe me I really wish we could get our hands on that turbo cal. Just to read it out, if its all setup we might be able to get it full flashed in and be good.

Trav0411 on TrailVoy did a turbo on an 04 I6, worked a couple things out for tuning, finally ended up with a voltage clamp on the MAP so the PCM only sees up to 1Bar. Then I think they used a rising rate fuel pressure/pump system to ensure it wouldnt lean out.

terryrh
April 26th, 2011, 04:33 AM
How did this turn out?

ScarabEpic22
April 26th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Still cant be done on P10s, P12s should be able to do it if you run MAF only. Might have to rescale the IFR to get the needed MAF range if you're running high enough boost.

Really what you want is an 08-09 I6 with the 58x reluctor, run an E67 LL8 I6 OS and boost it. Can run up to 2.5 Bar with the factory OS that way. If you have an 02-07 I6, then Id suggest an 06-07 P12 running MAF only or swap crank reluctors for an 08-09 one.