PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done the EFI University 101 course?

daveb
July 25th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Just wondered if anyone has done this course and what they thought.

Too late for me now as I booked for the Melbourne course in Sept.

DAVE

BowlingSS
July 26th, 2005, 02:35 AM
I would like to know also.

Bill

GMPX
July 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I have not done the course, but I have spoken to Ben on a few occasions.
You learn so much in a 30min conversation, I can only imagine a day spent at the course would be VERY much worthwhile.

Cheers,
Ross

mnotx
July 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I understood they were tayloring a course for EFILive. Are they still in the process of setting this up?

GMPX
July 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I understood they were tayloring a course for EFILive. Are they still in the process of setting this up?

I must confess I don't know the full details but from what I understand you will not be spending the whole day learning EFILive, you will learn the normal EFI tuning concepts that Ben teaches, then after that some specific EFILive / LS1 how to's and how to apply general tuning concepts into using EFIlive.

Cheers,
Ross

Black02SS
July 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
As soon as the course is setup, I will be attending one that is semi-close. I can't wait. :)

bink
July 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM
As soon as the course is setup, I will be attending one that is semi-close. I can't wait. :)
Define semi-close. :P

Black02SS
July 26th, 2005, 03:10 PM
:lol: I guess it would be the one closest to me. I really don't want to fly to TX to attend one, but I guess if I have to I will. The wife just won't be happy at ALL..

405HP_Z06
July 26th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I've taken both EFI-101 and EFI Advanced. Both are absolutely awesome classes. There is material in 101 for ANY level of tuner. It demonstrates the basics of engine control and applies the information to electronic fuel injection. Ben mathmatically walks you through the steps an ECM goes through to complete one engine cycle and clearly explains why, how, and when specific tables are in use. It doesn't presently address factory EFI systems, but the concepts are the same.

EFI Advanced takes the basics and concepts from EFI-101 and applies it in 8 modules, each on the dyno one-on-one with Ben. Module one starts with the safety practices and basic dyno information. Each additional module then builds upon each other to module 7 where you are driving the car, controlling the dyno, and tuning at the same time by your self. :shock: Module eight is a class exercise where Ben sets the car with a baseline tune and challenges the class to tune the car using the information learned and make as much power as possible. The class is only allowed one run per person, so we got six runs. Run one was a baseline, we then evaluated the dyno output and the tune and made changes as appropriate. Then the next person made a run and it became the new baseline for additional tuning. Rinse and repeat until all students have completed a dyno run and the exercise is over. It was intidimating at first, but Ben is an excellent instructor. He takes his time to ensure you understand each module thoroughly before you move to the next. While one of the other 6 students are on the dyno, Ben provides math problems to the class to figure injector phasing, injector pulse width, atmospheric pressure change, VE, MAP, and other engine parameters to demonstrate further what the ECM does when different conditions are encountered. You get to use a Motec M800 ECM with a super cool electric engine simulator to illustrate any engine or condition to support all the physics and mathmatics presented in the class. Everything Ben presents is 100% fact which can easily be proven on the dyno or by a long physics exercise with many algebraic expressions.

In short, highly recommended!!!!!! The best money I've spent on my car and myself to date.
:D

I'm not affiliated with EFI University in any way. I'm just a very happy customer. 8)

405HP_Z06
July 26th, 2005, 03:50 PM
:lol: I guess it would be the one closest to me. I really don't want to fly to TX to attend one, but I guess if I have to I will. The wife just won't be happy at ALL..

When I took the classes in June, I asked Ben about the EFILive classes. He said that Texas may get the first class! I sure am hoping so!!!!!!! The facility that hosted the class, Xtreme Horsepower, is first class and has a Dyno Dynamics model 450.

Come on down Chad!!!

Black02SS
July 26th, 2005, 05:42 PM

When I took the classes in June, I asked Ben about the EFILive classes. He said that Texas may get the first class! I sure am hoping so!!!!!!! The facility that hosted the class, Xtreme Horsepower, is first class and has a Dyno Dynamics model 450.

Come on down Chad!!!

Hmm.... How do I tell the wife that I am leaving for a weeekend to do something that she hates I do at home. :lol: I already have the cash put aside for the class, just need to know when and where.

Black02SS
July 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Each additional module then builds upon each other to module 7 where you are driving the car, controlling the dyno, and tuning at the same time by your self. :shock: Module eight is a class exercise where Ben sets the car with a baseline tune and challenges the class to tune the car using the information learned and make as much power as possible. The class is only allowed one run per person, so we got six runs. Run one was a baseline, we then evaluated the dyno output and the tune and made changes as appropriate. Then the next person made a run and it became the new baseline for additional tuning. Rinse and repeat until all students have completed a dyno run and the exercise is over. It was intimidating at first, but Ben is an excellent instructor.

I was thinking the other day how nervous I would be and intimidated during the class.

TAQuickness
July 26th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Come on down Chad!

Tell your wife if you learned how to tune, you wouldn't have to spend some much time in tinkering. You could just set your tune and be done with it.

My wife wouldn't buy it either, but it would work long enough for me to get on the plane!

daveb
July 26th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys, I'll report back how it goes.

I am still tossing up the advanced course (particulary after the heads/cam/manifold/etc/etc I just paid for) another 1500 AUD will hurt.

If you use a dyno regularly, is the advance course still have a lot to offer?

405HP_Z06
July 26th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Hmm.... How do I tell the wife that I am leaving for a weeekend to do something that she hates I do at home. :lol: I already have the cash put aside for the class, just need to know when and where.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I heard it from my wife for weeks after the classes. I can relate!!!

405HP_Z06
July 26th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys, I'll report back how it goes.

I am still tossing up the advanced course (particulary after the heads/cam/manifold/etc/etc I just paid for) another 1500 AUD will hurt.

If you use a dyno regularly, is the advance course still have a lot to offer?

It is a shock to the pocket book, but well worth it! We had dyno owners in both 101 and Advanced and all commented how useful both classes were.

mnotx
July 26th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Each additional module then builds upon each other to module 7 where you are driving the car, controlling the dyno, and tuning at the same time by your self. :shock: Module eight is a class exercise where Ben sets the car with a baseline tune and challenges the class to tune the car using the information learned and make as much power as possible. The class is only allowed one run per person, so we got six runs. Run one was a baseline, we then evaluated the dyno output and the tune and made changes as appropriate. Then the next person made a run and it became the new baseline for additional tuning. Rinse and repeat until all students have completed a dyno run and the exercise is over. It was intimidating at first, but Ben is an excellent instructor.

I was thinking the other day how nervous I would be and intimidated during the class.

Same here. I am a total novice. But I won't be after the class. And Fort Worth is an easy drive away. :D

trudynosports
July 30th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I took the EFI 101 class and highly recommend it! I have been tuning for some time and still learned some new and refreshed some old in that class. Ben is a great instuctor and will leave no one behind.

Aaron.

Blacky
July 30th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Moved from Tunning forum to here.
Paul

HioSSilver
July 31st, 2005, 01:39 PM
i'm in if its any where near me.

405HP_Z06
August 1st, 2005, 12:00 AM
i'm in if its any where near me.

http://www.efi101.com/schedule.html

Here's a link to the schedule.

Redline Motorsports
August 14th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I took both class's and just past the online test last week. The 101 is quite basic for most guys that have been around the EFI ring for a while but a good refresher. The advanced class gets a bit more involved but tended to be more specific to the aftermarket style systems like Autronics, GEN7, etc..

After the advanced class you leave with a log book in which you need to log at least 20hrs of dyno time. Upon completion you send it back to EFI university where they review it and set you up for a test on line. Upon passing they send you your advanced certificate. I wish they would hook up with EFI Live and have a class specific to GEN3 GM programming!

To me the GM programming is WAY more involved.

Howard

Blacky
August 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I wish they would hook up with EFI Live and have a class specific to GEN3 GM programming!
To me the GM programming is WAY more involved.
Howard

EFI101 is working on building a course for EFILive.
http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1713

Regards
Paul

Tordne
August 14th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Any idea how they are getting on with this, any date for release that anyone is aware of?

I'm contemplating getting across to Melbourne for the September EFI101 course, but if there is going to be an EFILive specific version (run in New Zealand or Australia please) then it would probably be worth waiting for.

Like you say, the GM PCM is probably different, and it would be nice to have a more direct course based on that specific material. The software is also a big part of it.

Cheers,

Blacky
August 14th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure it won't be until after SEMA (early Nov). But, best to ask Ben from EFI University (aka EFIGUY).

Regards
Paul

madprof01
September 10th, 2005, 07:05 AM
I have attended both of Ben's courses and the amount of information is incredible. Furthermore, Ben is a guru and he makes sure that you understand every aspect and why. Also, his methods are foolproof and shorten your tuning time by huge amounts while saving wear on your vehicle. Be prepared for some math work. I have every intension of attending the EFI live class as soon as possible.

GMPX
September 10th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Correct me if I am wrong Paul/Ben, but isn't the EFI-101 course with EFILive not actually a full day on how to use EFILive, but more so the standard EFI-101 course with specifics on how to tune the LS1 using EFILive?.
I must confess I have not been in the loop with Paul and BEN with regards to the course structure but that was my understanding.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
September 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
The course will be mostly "how to tune" (lets face it that's what everyone wants to know). Then about a 1/2 day of EFILive specific training where you will be taught the best/correct way to use EFILive to implement the concepts and ideas learnt earlier in the course.

Regards
Paul

VortechC5
September 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Has anyone heard when/where the first class will be scheduled? I'd sure like to try to fit it into my schedule.

Mark

usa1911
September 26th, 2005, 12:34 AM
The course will be mostly "how to tune" (lets face it that's what everyone wants to know). Then about a 1/2 day of EFILive specific training where you will be taught the best/correct way to use EFILive to implement the concepts and ideas learnt earlier in the course.

Regards
Paul

Paul, will you be one of the instructors when they come to Texas?

I am really thinking about signing up if this is going to be slanted more towards an entry level class more than and advanced course.

Do you think since I am pretty new to EFI Live and PCM tuning that this would be a good start for someone like me?

Chuck

usa1911
September 26th, 2005, 12:43 AM

Regards
Paul

I am really thinking about signing up if this is going to be slanted more towards an entry level class more than and advanced course.

Do you think since I am pretty new to EFI Live and PCM tuning that this would be a good start for someone like me?

Chuck

Blacky
September 26th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Chuck

I will not be instructing, that is best left to the professionals.
There are various levels of courses that cater for everyone from the first time tuner to the seasoned professionals.

Regards
Paul

mnotx
November 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Is the EFILive tailored course running yet? Last I heard it was going to be ready soon. Has anyone heard anything?

VortechC5
November 21st, 2005, 01:27 AM
I asked Blacky this question when I talked to him at SEMA. He was going to be talking to Ben that day. I was hoping that we would have gotten an update by now.

Mark

Is the EFILive tailored course running yet? Last I heard it was going to be ready soon. Has anyone heard anything?

mnotx
November 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks! I am looking forward to attending one of the classes. I have learned a lot from this forum, but a few days of hands-on experience would really help me. I currently know just enough to be completely dangerous.

EFIGUY
November 24th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Guys,

we are working as fast as we can.

We have some prior commitments that needed to be finished up before we culd go very far with this course. By the end of this year (only a few weeks away) we'll be working full time on thie EFI LIve course.

So, look for courses to be available around the end of Q1 or beginning of Q2 2006.

We'll be keeping you posted as we get closer, and also we will be putting up some polls for you guys to vote on various topics being included or not.

-Ben

mnotx
November 24th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the response. I will wait patiently. :D

VortechC5
November 25th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the update, Ben. I am planning on signing up as soon as it's ready.

Mark

Redline Motorsports
November 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Ben,

Put me on the list! I'll bring ringer with me so he can get away from Autronics! LOL!

Nice meeting you at SEMA!

Howard
Redline Motorsports

Dave Lewis
December 10th, 2005, 01:10 PM
WIll the new EFILive class include Duramax tuning as well?

GMPX
December 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Ben loves he's turbos, I bet the temptation will be too much to say no.

Cheers,
Ross

ASSAMI
March 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM
OK, believe it or not I have taken it twice!!!
Do I have extra money…?? Hell no. My plane was to meet more people and get more knowledge all around.

To all of you… 100% go and take it. I am a tuner for the last few years but believe me … it is worth every single sent.
To me bin was better than gorge. Yet some people will say vies versa of that.
Yet what I got in the east cost is different than what I got on the west cost. Yes it is the same book but from a different man and a different experience. Every one had his good point.

Do not hastate to take it.

Good luck. And thanks Bin.:coool:

johnsZ06
June 5th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I took the class this past weekend. Chris M was the instructor and he did a wonderful job!

If you're a begginer then you will learn a lot from the class. If you're an experienced tuner, then the information presented will validate your knowledge and let you know you're on the right track.

I highly recommend it!

GMPX
June 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Myself and Paul spent a few days with Ben whilst we were over in the US last week going over the EFILive specific course, details on what the course involves and prices, dates etc will be posted soon.
Spending a few days with Ben made Paul and myself itching to get back home and try some of Ben's tuning words of wisdom, I can't wait to get my car on the dyno again.
Though I think Ben should rename the course EFI Myth Busters :D

Cheers,
Ross

johnsZ06
June 5th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Though I think Ben should rename the course EFI Myth Busters :D

Cheers,
Ross

Chris also dispelled a lot of "internet-isims". :cheers:

Now an EFILive specific course would be cool!

Spdfrk1990
May 30th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Once I learn a little more and buy efi live I think I will take one of these classes.

jomobco
April 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Great class! I just finished the 101 course. Thanks Ben!

TunasTwins
April 30th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I took the class with Chris in February, Savannah GA. Great info and Chris is super informed! Wish I could afford the Advanced class.....