PDA

View Full Version : BB Logging beta update: March 20,2008

Blacky
March 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
After much delay (sorry :bash:) the next and hopefully final beta version of BB Logging is now available as a beta/pre-release version.

Download here: http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILive_Beta_Update_March_20_2008.zip

Important information:

1. PLEASE make sure you read the file Readme_First.pdf that is in the zip file. It contains important instructions, pre-requisites and warnings that you need to follow.

2. Be sure to format the Config file system (using EFILive_Explorer) on FlashScan BEFORE upgrading. That will prevent old config files from interfering with the new firmware when it is loaded.

3. After successfully updating the FlashScan firmware to FSProgV2_05_15(0320).efw, you should power cycle FlashScan. That will remove all traces of in-memory copies of the old config files/settings. If you do not, the most obvious problem you will notice is that the key-delay and key-repeat speeds will be way too fast to allow sane operation of FlashScan's keypad.

4. If you are attempting to connect your wide band controller to FlashScan, and FlashScan says "Controller Not Found", try connecting the wide band O2 controller's serial output to your PC's serial port (or USB-Serial converter) and monitor the serial data using this freely available port monitoring software: http://www.serial-port-monitor.com/
If data is captured by the port monitor, please forward it to me at paul@efilive.com so I can trouble-shoot the problem.

And remember, if EFILive_Hapi is running (i.e. shows in the system tray), then the EFILive V7.5 software will not be able to connect to the FlashScan cable.

Please report problems in the FlashScan BB Logging forum, or directly to me at paul@efilive.com

Have fun...

Regards
Paul and Ross

TAQuickness
March 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
you da man!

Garry
March 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM
:cheers: :notacrook:

too bad that my car is still in about 500 pieces at the moment ... :( Soon, very soon ... (hopefully)

JezzaB
March 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Does the V2 need any handshaking for the serial input? or is just a SIG GND a TX and RX fine?

Just tried it out with the PLX and no go. I can see the LED flashing from the data polling and when I plug it into the laptop I can see the data and it matches to the PLX supplied specs.

Jez

Blacky
March 20th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Does the V2 need any handshaking for the serial input? or is just a SIG GND a TX and RX fine?

Just tried it out with the PLX and no go. I can see the LED flashing from the data polling and when I plug it into the laptop I can see the data and it matches to the PLX supplied specs.

Jez

Hope this is not an obvious question, but did you select PLX as the wideband? Use Backspace when on the O2 display screen to cycle through wideband types.

Also, you need to go into "Edit Settings" (Ctrl+Backspace from any menu) and select "Wide-O2" for "Com In" and "Com Out".

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 20th, 2008, 11:08 PM

No handshaking required, just ground, TX and RX.
Paul

JezzaB
March 20th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hope this is not an obvious question, but did you select PLX as the wideband? Use Backspace when on the O2 display screen to cycle through wideband types.

Also, you need to go into "Edit Settings" (Ctrl+Backspace from any menu) and select "Wide-O2" for "Com In" and "Com Out".

Regards
Paul

DOH! Packed everything up and posted this and 10 seconds after I pressed send I was playing with the V2 and saw the option!! Just got too excited.

Yes it works!!! Fantastic guys. Im a VERY happy man!

Jez

Cougar281
March 21st, 2008, 01:37 AM
I installed the new firmware (After formatting the config FS), copied the new PMM files to the FS, and now I can select the vehicle, but if I try to display data, it does nothing; If I try to log, the screen will flash, then go back to the "Record", "Display", "W02". Any suggestions? Do we still add PIDs by editing the options.ini?

Chevy366
March 21st, 2008, 04:16 AM
It's alive ! Great work . :master: :jump:
LC-1 only , will try JAW when I get it finished .
I used the Stereo Mini Phono to RJ25 3 line Jack cable design for the Innovate .
Will have to use Serial to RJ25 for the JAW .

Highlander
March 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM
Ok. what is the PID for the scantool to read the WO2 from the serial part?

if its ext.wo2afr whatever... its not appearing as valid

joecar
March 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM
:cheers:

Goldfinger911
March 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM
Does anyone know... the new PMM files... since this is a copy-over update... do I copy all the PMM's back to my V2 or just the PMM files that come in the ZIP file? I seem to duplicates, some with -M at the end and some without. I think I read about this somewhere, but i cant find the post.

kdubbz
March 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
How do i choose my PIDs to log? Im new to this black box logging thing, but i dident see this in the readme

mr.prick
March 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
is this a full release or an update?
if it`s an update where is the link to the required file or the file name?
i am running 7.5.3 (Build 36).

McRat
March 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Seems I found a bug.

Or a vermin of some kind! :D

:cheers:

ntae
March 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM

An Update

post 1 on this thread has the link

JezzaB
March 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know... the new PMM files... since this is a copy-over update... do I copy all the PMM's back to my V2 or just the PMM files that come in the ZIP file? I seem to duplicates, some with -M at the end and some without. I think I read about this somewhere, but i cant find the post.

I actually ended up exactracting the PMM files etc to a clean dir. Im testing today so ill see how it goes.

Jez

mr.prick
March 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
An Update

post 1 on this thread has the link
i saw the link in post #1, to the update
my question is, does this install over my current version,
or is there a prerequisite?

Kevin Doe
March 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
How do i choose my PIDs to log? Im new to this black box logging thing, but i dident see this in the readme

I second this question.

Also, when I try to close the "EFILive Explorer" I get an error that reads:
"Cannot create file "C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\EFILive_Explorer.ini"

To exit the program I have to use the windows task pannel and end program. Note: I am using Vista Home Premium.

JezzaB
March 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
PLX and V2 are talking and showing AFR etc on the hand scanner. If i plug it into the lappy and try passthru and I log every external PID file I see nothing on AFR. it just locks at 10:1

WO2AFR1 just stays 10

Flick through the hand scanner and its working??

I tried revalidating the pids etc. Pluggin in the laptop side of the V2 and then the car side and vice versa. No go

Jez

Highlander
March 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Im on the same boat as you JezzaB

ntae
March 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
i saw the link in post #1, to the update
my question is, does this install over my current version,
or is there a prerequisite?

post 1
step 1
read the readme pdf first

tells all

beta testing is all about finding out how it works by your self with out tutorial's

joecar
March 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM
+1.

And do consider the warning:

WARNING
This software update is a beta release and may be unstable. It may fail or cause unexpected results. DO NOT install or use this beta software on a production system or on any system where failure cannot be tolerated.

Highlander
March 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM
easter eggs....

mr.prick
March 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM
the answer is yes!

oztracktuning
March 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM
I am trying to get Dyncylair PID working and it keeps rejecting the connection saying the pid is invalid??

JezzaB
March 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Im on the same boat as you JezzaB

Anyone got the Serial O2 logging in pass thru???

AGRO
March 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM
Guys, im having a slight issue, when i try to check the status or program new firmware, message comes up saying "flashscan need to be in ded poll mode............" ummmm it is in dead poll, two leds flash. and still no comunication.

please help.:help2:
http://forum.efilive.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

SV8346
March 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
I am trying to get Dyncylair PID working and it keeps rejecting the connection saying the pid is invalid??

i had the same problem at first, couldnt get it to log dynamic cylinder air. I ended up getting it to work by changing the pid in PSL_LS1 to the following in the options.ini

-, DYNCYLAIR

SV8346
March 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Guys, im having a slight issue, when i try to check the status or program new firmware, message comes up saying "flashscan need to be in ded poll mode............" ummmm it is in dead poll, two leds flash. and still no comunication.

please help.:help2:

have you upgraded to the latest bootblock and are you now using EFILive explorer.

oztracktuning
March 22nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Did you use

-, DYNCYLAIR or -, DYNCYLAIR_M

SV8346
March 22nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
i tried to use

-, DYNCYLAIR_M but it came up with invalid pid so i removed the _M and it worked perfectly.

Kevin Doe
March 22nd, 2008, 03:37 AM

Of all the people in here talking about logging parameters right now, I cannot believe someone won't take the time and answer this question. Please, answer this for those of us who don't know how.

Ninety8C5
March 22nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
Of all the people in here talking about logging parameters right now, I cannot believe someone won't take the time and answer this question. Please, answer this for those of us who don't know how.

:exactly: :confused:

hymey
March 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
I have not played with it as of yet. But as Blacky said you can go into the options screen and have a play with it there. Otherwise just use all the selected default pids. Record them all. Then modify your pid selection on your PC once you open the log.

Kevin Doe
March 22nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
I have not played with it as of yet. But as Blacky said you can go into the options screen and have a play with it there. Otherwise just use all the selected default pids. Record them all. Then modify your pid selection on your PC once you open the log.

I've been looking around in the options.ini file and it looks like I should be getting all the pid in the PSL_LS1 section, but it says no pids selected when I try to log data.

hymey
March 22nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
Ahhh.....When you are trying to log your data. Are you going through F2....scan tool. or F1.....select vehicle.

You have to press F1 first then scroll pcm type(eg e38 manual) press OK. Then start your log through there.

I have been beta testing for a while now. Today I went through the F2 option by mistake as my mind was thinking elsewhere:Eyecrazy: and I noticed it said "no pids selected"

Is this the problem?

mr.prick
March 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
do you drag the pid file to the V2
with efilive explorer?

Highlander
March 22nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
You need to drag the PID file with efi explorer as you point out.

Highlander
March 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
All you need to do is open up efilive explorer and drag all the config files to the config portion... Later you connect to the vehicle, select the vehicle in V2 and then record. You cannot choose as of now like you could with v1.

Cougar281
March 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ok, to expand on my previous post regarding LLY issues, LBZ doesn't either. If I try to display data (After selecting a vehicle), I got:

Unsupported PID
please de-select it.

so I removed it from the ini. Now I get:

Unsupported PID
please de-select it.

Edit: Also, it seems like copying files to the FS is MUCH slower than before.

hymey
March 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
All you need to do is open up efilive explorer and drag all the config files to the config portion... Later you connect to the vehicle, select the vehicle in V2 and then record. You cannot choose as of now like you could with v1.

Any feedback Kevin......

As Highlander pointed out you cant select pids freely.

Did you put in the config files or did you go through the F2 instead of F1.

cheers

AGRO
March 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
have you upgraded to the latest bootblock and are you now using EFILive explorer.

i am using the efilive explorer, i think i tried everything, i ticked the bootblock check box (in efilive explorer) then hit program, error message came up $0023.

the boot block version (read directly from the v2) 2.05.04 oct 16 2007 firmware is 2.05.15 mar18 2008.

the trouble is that i cant update the boot block, when i try to program v2470.ffw error message comes up "no reply from flashscan", i must have my wires crossed some where :Eyecrazy: .
any help is much apreciated.

Girch.

oztracktuning
March 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Did you do the final firmware update 70 (the last of the old ways)

scdyne
March 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I hate to ask, but where is the E67 stuff?
It's not listed under "Select Vehicle" so I modified my Options.ini
Then I wanted to add some pids, but the auto generated E67_PIDs.txt contains only MONDTC and the FlashScan V2 hardware inputs/outputs.

Can I just hijack the E38.pmm and pretend/assume all is kosher? I'd like to, but we're having Ham for Easter tomorrow... Help..

also in the E38_PIDs.txt for the E38.pmm is found this:

INPHAB2 [1] Intake Cam Phase Actual Angle Bank 2 (°)
EXPHDB1 [1] Exhaust Cam Phase Desired Angle Bank 1 (°)
INPHDB1 [1] Intake Cam Phase Desired Angle Bank 1 (°)
EXPHDB2 [1] Exhaust Cam Phase Desired Angle Bank 2 (°)
INPHDB2 [1] Intake Cam Phase Desired Angle Bank 2 (°)
EXPHEB1 [1] Exhaust Cam Phase Error Angle Bank 1 (°)
INPHEB1 [1] Intake Cam Phase Error Angle Bank 1 (°)
EXPHEB2 [1] Exhaust Cam Phase Error Angle Bank 2 (°)
INPHEB2 [1] Intake Cam Phase Error Angle Bank 2 (°)

What/which one (where) is supposed to be:
Intake Cam Phase Actual Angle Bank 1 (°)
Exhaust Cam Phase Actual Angle Bank 1 (°)

hymey
March 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
you wont be able to use the ....70.ffw firmware if you have already installed the bootblock.

You are meant to update it before installing the boot block.

jimter
March 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I installed the new firmware (After formatting the config FS), copied the new PMM files to the FS, and now I can select the vehicle, but if I try to display data, it does nothing; If I try to log, the screen will flash, then go back to the "Record", "Display", "W02". Any suggestions? Do we still add PIDs by editing the options.ini?

I have the same problem on my lb7 i even tried removing all pid's
except -, TEMP1
And still no luck.:nixweiss:
If you a trace let me know.

jim t,

Blacky
March 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM

Yes, you can edit the Options.ini file. The Pid description files have been updated with the full ist of supported PIDs per controller.

After the logging fails, Select the Scan Tool->Scan Options->Sace Trace File. Then copy the saved trace file and send it to me at paul@efilive.com.

Include a link to this thread so I can correlate the trace file with this thread. Also please send the Options.ini file and the model-year of the vehicle being logged.

Regards
Paul

JezzaB
March 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Anyone got the Serial O2 logging in pass thru???

Anyone???

Blacky
March 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Anyone???

It was working when I tested it, I'll test it again in case it got broken before/during the release.

Regards
Paul

JezzaB
March 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
It was working when I tested it, I'll test it again in case it got broken before/during the release.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul. Works great on the hand scanner etc. Just tried logging every external PID under the sun with no success

Blacky
March 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
There have been a lot of questions asked in this thread (and others).

I'll be working through them one by one and answering them (and maybe asking more questions of all of you). Please be patient. It may take a day or two to go through them all.

Just remember, everyone who takes the time and effort to undertand how the BB logging works by knowing which files go where and which files can be edited/changed will have a huge advantage when the EFILive V8 software is released. Everything you learn here still applies in the V8 software, just that it is hidden behind a "user friendly" interface.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
March 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hi Paul,

I just tried a long BBL on my E38. All up 2 hrs worth of driving for a resultant log file of just shy of 13MB. The only problem is that when trying to view the file, I only see the first 9 mins. of the log, the rest just doesn't seem to exist. Let me know if you want a copy of the log file and I'll try and work something out.

Simon

Edit: I think I found it..... I was logging too many PIDs. I made some changes and forgot all about removing the PIDs I didn't want.

SV8346
March 22nd, 2008, 11:49 PM
OZTRACK:

I think i may have just discovered an error in what i told you before, if you log

-, DYNCYLAIR without the_M on the end of the PID it logs Predicted Grams of Air per Cylinder, what we need to log with for speed density is Air Flow Grams/Cyl - Speed Density which is the PID -, DYNCYLAIR_M.

For some reason when we select that PID it tells us that that PID is Invalid?

oztracktuning
March 22nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
I think it is OK, i did two long logs today and it looks OK. I dont have my maf connected and i got sensible looking g/cyl values.

SV8346
March 22nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
yeah it looks the same but compare the reading to some of your older logs, there is allot of variance in the figures. It is predicting the Air flow from your MAP sensor, to see what i mean, goto your dashboard "B" and in the same section/window put both MAP and DYNCYLAIR. Now go into the chart properties for those items and set the maximum for MAP to 110kpa and the maximum for DYCNYLAIR to 1.00 and you will see how it is predicting your airflow usage.

oztracktuning
March 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
I thin it references Main VE table and the measured MAP anyway. Maybe Ross or Paul can clarify if this pid is working right.

SV8346
March 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
i think i'de still like to get it working on DYNCYLAIR_M if there is a way we can do it. Not sure why it comes up as invalid PID. might have a play around with the PID names now and see what works and what doesnt.

SV8346
March 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
another 1 i have noticed is that on the unit it logs all the O2 info but when it is brought across to view it on a laptop it wont display anything. My O2 voltage stays at 0 and STFT is at -100.00%.

Also i cant seem to get BARO_B working properly, it displays and logs on the unit but when brought across onto the laptop it says its an invalid pid

oztracktuning
March 23rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
Mine is logging HO2S11 HO2S21 OK, i even got EGRS (FP) working nice :) also have TCCSLIP, TFT

SV8346
March 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
ok i might try it as logging HO2S11, HO2S21

SV8346
March 23rd, 2008, 01:01 AM
have you tried BARO_B

Edit:ok yeah its working perfect on HO2S11/HO2S21

Kevin Doe
March 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
Out of curriosity, how do you guys know what -PIDs are available. By that I mean PIDs that look like "-, W02ST1". I see that its an external PID, as stated in the options.ini comments, but I don't see where you can define those PIDs, or add new ones. Anyone?

hymey
March 23rd, 2008, 03:43 AM
I dont think you can Kev. There are seceral ex pids there for w/b. I havent sussed out to much with it yet> All I know is I have my afrs displaying happy about that:cheers:

You can simply delete which ones you dont want. Create a folder elsewhere and copy the info down incase you take one out you dont want or need!

cheers

Highlander
March 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Thank you Paul!

hymey
March 23rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Out of curriosity, how do you guys know what -PIDs are available. By that I mean PIDs that look like "-, W02ST1". I see that its an external PID, as stated in the options.ini comments, but I don't see where you can define those PIDs, or add new ones. Anyone?

Just did a log then.

WO2ST1 when logging says Lambda. So its taking a lambda reading from the w/b.

WO2ST2 is the same thing but from the second O2 sensor. Which I only have one!

There are four more below these pids. First two are lambda readings.

Second two are AFR readings. The first one will read your current afr. The second one is not used in my case it reads 25.00 permanantly.

No more EXT.AD logging!

Thanks for all the hard work Paul. Very impressive:master:

Ninety8C5
March 23rd, 2008, 05:11 AM
If you look in the Pid Description Folder (C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\Pid Descriptions), you can look in the file for your controller e.g. LS1B_M_Pids.txt for a complete list of the PIDs that are available. Then you can open the 'Options.ini' file and add the ones you want to the list that is already there for your controller.

The DMA PIDs (the ones ending with _M) don't seem to work yet, but I may be doing something wrong.

I hope that answers your question, Kevin. :)

Blacky
March 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'm looking into the DMA PID problem today...
Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
There have been a lot of questions asked in this thread (and others).

I'll be working through them one by one and answering them (and maybe asking more questions of all of you). Please be patient. It may take a day or two to go through them all.
Anyone who has asked a questions in this thread that has not received a satisfactory answer, please re-post your question in a new thread in the beta forum. That will make it easier for me to keep track of what still needs anwering and will make it easier for you to get answers.

I am locking this thread so that new questions are asked in new theads.

Regards
Paul