PDA

View Full Version : Bootloader Error

Hawk355
March 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
I downloaded a friends 2003 lb7 calibration, made my changes, then tried to upload the modified calibration and I got a bootloader error message. It also said the ecm was locked. I checked the Pcm Security tab and it says it is unlocked. The seed is $3125. He told me that the dealer replaced his dash gauges last year and had to reprogram them a few times before they would work properly. He has never plugged in any type of programmer himself and as far as I know he bought the truck new. I also tried to download the stock calibration from the truck again and I got the same type of error message. What do I need to do to recalibrate his truck?

GMPX
March 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
That is a bit odd indeed.
I would try pulling power to the ECM for a minute and retry.

Cheers,
Ross

Jared Duramax
March 23rd, 2008, 03:41 AM
i have this same issue about every third time i upload a tune that i created. it tells me that the ecm is locked and may be damaged. i have been able to do a full system reflash and get it back to normal. but once i had to buy a new ecm. that was a very expensive day.

Jared

JOHNBOY
April 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
I am having the same basic issues with a loaded. The gage cluster has been replaced by the dealer. No matter what I tried it gave me a bootload error. I tried and tied no luck. :wtf1:

Any ideas?

21:23:17.500: Scanning for EFILive FlashScan V1 USB
21:23:17.531: Current protocol set to: "SAE J1850 VPW"
21:23:17.593: Interface firmware version: 1.2.17
21:23:17.625: Interface firmware model: FSP
21:23:17.640: Interface firmware version: 1.2.17
21:23:17.656: Interface firmware date: Jan 18, 2005
21:23:17.687: FlashScan serial number: 003563878991
21:23:17.703: Disconnecting ...
21:23:17.718: Disconnected
21:23:18.343: Scanning for EFILive FlashScan V1 USB
21:23:18.468: Current protocol set to: "SAE J1850 VPW"
21:23:18.531: Interface firmware version: 1.2.17
21:23:18.609: Current protocol: "SAE J1850 VPW"
21:23:18.656: Interface firmware model: FSP
21:23:18.671: Interface firmware version: 1.2.17
21:23:18.687: Interface firmware date: Jan 18, 2005
21:23:18.718: FlashScan serial number: 003563878991
21:23:18.843: Getting status...
21:23:18.906: Status: OK.
21:23:19.828: Bootloader version: DLB7_v1.2R (048E-5FB7)
21:23:19.828: Preparing ECM for reading flash...
21:23:19.875: ECM not secured
21:23:19.890: Initializing ECM...
21:23:20.703: Initializing ECM, step 1 of 4
21:23:20.718: Initializing ECM, step 2 of 4
21:23:21.531: Initializing ECM, step 3 of 4
21:23:23.093: Initializing ECM, step 4 of 4
21:23:23.375: ECM lock has been re-armed, attempting to unlock ECM again...

21:23:23.406: ECM not secured
21:23:23.421: Initializing ECM...
21:23:24.187: Initializing ECM, step 1 of 4
21:23:24.203: Initializing ECM, step 2 of 4
21:23:24.968: Initializing ECM, step 3 of 4
21:23:26.484: Initializing ECM, step 4 of 4
21:23:26.781: ECM lock has been re-armed, attempting to unlock ECM again...

21:23:26.937: Initializing bootloader...
21:23:27.015: Error: Failed. Controller has returned to normal operation, please retry the operation.
21:23:27.250: Initializing bootloader, step 1 of 3
21:23:27.265: Error
21:23:27.265: Disconnecting ...
21:23:27.296: Disconnected
21:23:39.609: Done!

FWIW I am running a V1 with 7.5.1 software. I flashed my 02 several times without issue today. I also managed to sucessfully log and read the codes on this 03. All I want to do is shut the EGR code off as he has installed a blocker plate.

Thanks for your help.

Jared Duramax
April 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
your ECM is probably fried but try disconnecting the batteries first and unplugging the ECM for about an hour of two and try it again. make sure you have all acessories unplugged and or fuses pulled to them.

Cougar281
April 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
your ECM is probably fried but try disconnecting the batteries first and unplugging the ECM for about an hour of two and try it again. make sure you have all acessories unplugged and or fuses pulled to them.

That won't work. His ECM is done (Johnboy's, not Hawks). Basicly, the seed/key pair got wiped, so there's no way anything will connect to the ECM for programming. I had the same thing happen last week (See my "LB7 Read issues" Thread a few down).

McRat
April 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I've seen lots of trucks say "Locked ECM" when they aren't:

Unplug cable, shut off computer, turn off truck.
Remove power to any remote start, aftermarket stereo, alarm system.
Remove all harness boxes, Edge, Banks, etc.
Boot computer, plug in cable, turn key to RUN.
Launch Tune software. Open stock file. Flash>Full Flash including O/S.

This has fixed all so far that I've run into.

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM
That won't work. His ECM is done (Johnboy's, not Hawks). Basicly, the seed/key pair got wiped, so there's no way anything will connect to the ECM for programming. I had the same thing happen last week (See my "LB7 Read issues" Thread a few down).

If you ever suspect the ECM has had its seed key erased please try one of two things:

1. Try checking the "Use Alt keys" check box.
or
2. Try entering a value of $FFFF for the key.

When the seed/key gets wiped (by a bug in GM's TIS) the value of the seed and key get set to Seed=$FFFF and Key=$FFFF. Since flash memory erase value is $FF.

You can tell if the seed/key has been wiped because when EFILive displays the seed (just before attempting to unlock the ECM) it will show the seed value as $FFFF.

Regards
Paul

Jared Duramax
April 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
now i am going to have to try out my bad ECM and see if i can get it back to life again

Thank You

JOHNBOY
April 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Truck runs and drives. I can log, read codes, and erase them. The ECM is not fried it just scrambled somehow.

That pretty much says it.

I've seen lots of trucks say "Locked ECM" when they aren't:

Unplug cable, shut off computer, turn off truck.
Remove power to any remote start, aftermarket stereo, alarm system.
Remove all harness boxes, Edge, Banks, etc.
Boot computer, plug in cable, turn key to RUN.
Launch Tune software. Open stock file. Flash>Full Flash including O/S.

This has fixed all so far that I've run into.
I can not get the stock file out of it to do a full flash. Any chance I can do forced flash of the OE software with a Tech II?

If you ever suspect the ECM has had its seed key erased please try one of two things:

or

When the seed/key gets wiped (by a bug in GM's TIS) the value of the seed and key get set to Seed=$FFFF and Key=$FFFF. Since flash memory erase value is $FF.

You can tell if the seed/key has been wiped because when EFILive displays the seed (just before attempting to unlock the ECM) it will show the seed value as $FFFF.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul. I tried the Alt Keys trick yesterday. No luck. No luck with the $FFFF key today either.

This is my brother-in-laws truck. All we want to do is shut of the EGR insufficent follow error to put out the CEL. He has an EGR blocker plate installed. I am thinking that to a tick from Fingers or an different ECM is going to be needed. Unless someone has more ideas to try.

Cougar281
April 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM
When mine was wiped last week, there was no key at all shown. Since my ECM had just come from a boneyard, I've already sent it back or I't try that. I've since gotten another one that works.

Johnboy, with the right knowledge and tools, it is probably possible to fix, but not with EFILive or a TechII. The options are pretty much a new ECM or send it to EFILive for them to remove the chip and reporgram it (I'm 95% sure that Ross and Paul can or will do that).

or

Regards
Paul

McRat
April 25th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Truck runs and drives. I can log, read codes, and erase them. The ECM is not fried it just scrambled somehow.

That pretty much says it.

I can not get the stock file out of it to do a full flash. Any chance I can do forced flash of the OE software with a Tech II?

Thanks Paul. I tried the Alt Keys trick yesterday. No luck. No luck with the $FFFF key today either.

This is my brother-in-laws truck. All we want to do is shut of the EGR insufficent follow error to put out the CEL. He has an EGR blocker plate installed. I am thinking that to a tick from Fingers or an different ECM is going to be needed. Unless someone has more ideas to try.

Try any file as FULL FLASH that the O/S matches. I have only used the stock tune.

Cougar281
April 25th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Try any file as FULL FLASH that the O/S matches. I have only used the stock tune.

Won't work. Seed and key are gone. The console log Johnboy posted is the exact same one I had, and I verified that the seed didn't exist via another method. Since the seed and key are gone, NOTHING will write to it. You'd need to take apart the ECM, pull the chip and flash it via another method to recover it. Would be MUCH easier to get a new ECM.

GMPX
April 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
What would be nice is to get hold of one of these ECM's, pull the chip and see exactly what the ECM is defaulting the values to. It might be a common number, I mean, computers can't think, it has to know to put something in there.
If we knew the seed/key that everything defaulted back to it might make life easier.

Cheers,
Ross

McRat
April 28th, 2008, 06:48 AM
How many combinations x test time? Perhaps a "utility" for unlocking PCM's through brute force could be made?

fire0021
April 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM
that would be nice

Blacky
April 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
How many combinations x test time? Perhaps a "utility" for unlocking PCM's through brute force could be made?

10 days for CAN based vehicles.
4 days for VPW based vehicles.

Regards
Paul

McRat
April 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Not exactly a roadside repair.

GMPX
April 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM
No, plus it means given the patience anyone could read YOUR tunes. Best sweep that option under the rug....

Cheers,
Ross

McRat
April 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
That works out PERFECT!

I have no patience, and I don't lock tunes. ;)

Cougar281
April 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Anyone with a braindead (in the same way Johnboy's is braindead) LB7 ECM want to send it my way for "tinkering"? When done, I could pull the chip and send it to Ross for analasys if he wanted.

JOHNBOY
April 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I am trying to get another ECM for that truck.

I would really like to send it out.

bobo
May 4th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I have 2 ECM's doing this same thing to me. One had a dealer reflash done while it was tuned in an 02 LB7. The other is a 01 LB7 that I tuned a long time ago with the 01 LB7 OS...and it has not been touched since I tuned it a year ago. Both act the same as Johnboy's.

Blacky
May 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM
To anyone and everyone that can reproduce the problem described in this thread:

Can you please locate the file:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bug Reports\Upload_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.blx
where:
YYYYMMDD is the year, month and day
and:
HHMMSS is the hour, minute and second
that you attempted to read the controller.

Please send that file to me at paul@efilive.com and
include a link to this thread so that I can correlate
your file with this message.

I may be able to piece together what is happening if I get enough trace files.

Regards
Paul

bobo
May 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Mail sent!

weettiddo007
May 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
i havent reas the thread too mcuh but is this the same thing that happened to my ecm ross?

JOHNBOY
May 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Mail sent!

Same here.

Blacky
May 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Bobo, your PCM is sending back a response indicating the PCM is not locked, but it appears to be locked. By locked I mean just with GM's standard key - not a custom/user defined lock. That means EFILive will not send the key to unlock the PCM. Because it really is locked, EFILive will never unlock it and reading/flashing cannot continue. I will see if I can make a change to allow you to force EFILive to unlock the controller even if the controller "claims" that it is not locked.

Edit: Ignore this post John, I mixed up your trace file with someone else's - your trace file shows everything worked ok - is that the case?
Johnboy, your trace file shows that your ECM is possibly brain dead and EFILive is incorrectly identifying the TCM as the ECM. That is a known bug in V7.5.1.

Try upgrading to V7.5.3 here:
http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#download1

or even the V7.5.4 beta software, here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7978
Note: you can run the V7.5.4 beta software on your existing FlashScan cable without having to upgrade to the FlashScan beta firmware.

Regards
Paul

JOHNBOY
May 7th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Paul

After looking at the date again I beleive the file I sent you was for an 02 that I recently did. I flashed it after I had the issue with the bootloader error. The 02 flashed just fine. I will email you what I beleive is the correct .blx file.

bobo
May 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the help, Paul. I just sent you more mail. We are making progress. I was able to upload the ECM tonight with your help.

JOHNBOY
May 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Success!

Read and Flash!:good:

Thanks Paul. You have mail.:D

bobo
May 11th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Success!

Read and Flash!:good:

Thanks Paul. You have mail.:D

I wish:ranting:

JOHNBOY
May 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I wish:ranting:

Sorry to hear about the bad luck Bob.

duramaximizer
May 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM
That works out PERFECT!

I have no patience, and I don't lock tunes. ;)

I get the same bug, but I can usually force it via the turning the highspeed off, and reconnecting everything.:secret:

Bmilla97
February 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hi i read this thread and i am new to the forum. I have been in the diesel place forum for over a year now. I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 LB7. I am stumped. Please help!

Blacky
February 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Please check through the lists in post #7 and #8.
Also please send file as per post #24.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
February 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi i read this thread and i am new to the forum. I have been in the diesel place forum for over a year now. I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 LB7. I am stumped. Please help!
Is this the same vehicle we have been dealing with on Diesel Place?

Cheers,
Ross

Bmilla97
February 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yes i thought maybe someone might see it here that isnt part of diesel place. Well i checked the EFI LIVE forum last night and someone else had the same problem as me. On of the replies said to enter F$$$$ in the keys spot above alt keys. That would let me upload the current settings but not let me flash. I tried the alt keys and no high speed but it did nothing. ive reflashed the truck maybe 20 times over the last year and im really good at remembering numbers. I was sure i saw the seed # was $2333. I tried it and, IT WORKED!!! I cant believe i remembered the seed number! I havent reflashed in 3 months! There have been a few people with the same problem. Some of them bought new ECM s. I wish they would have written down the seed number. It seems like the ECM forgot or lost the seed number. But when put in manually it works. I would urge any LB7 owners to record the seed number from their truck... one day it might save your a**! Thanks for all your help from everyone on here. This was the first time i posted a problem. This was very helpful. Now i have to go try and help a couple people that are stuck like i was.

PS. I did upgrade to the latest version of EFI LIVE last night, dont know if that helped any.

GMPX
February 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
The 2001/2002 Duramax ECM has a habit of losing data, not all the time, but it happens, it's even worse when you let TechII near it, I am impressed you remembered the key!

Cheers,
Ross

barbermi
March 24th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I have had this issue the last week. Paul from efilive sorted me out quick smart.
Because the pcm had failed to flash completely it did a recovery flash and locked the PCM automatically.
All i had to do was put the seed number in as the key and it unlocked the computer.

Cheers to EFILIVE support for their help.

Brockster
April 28th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Will this work on a 2004 lly, right now my truck is dead and won't turn over, this all happened when i was install my efi into the ecm that had a custom tune already in it.:wallbash:

Blacky
April 28th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Will this work on a 2004 lly, right now my truck is dead and won't turn over, this all happened when i was install my efi into the ecm that had a custom tune already in it.:wallbash:

Are you using the latest software and FlashScan V2 firmware available here?
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

If so please provide the appropriate trace files as explained here:
http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=8254-QOGC-9586

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 28th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the log files. They show the ECM is not responding at all. Chances are the boot loader is still running in the ECM. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, reconnect and try reading the ECM again.

Just for future reference: The LLY ECM has a built in boot block that is not erased during the flash process so it is ok to disconnect the power if a flash fails (even a full-flash), it won't kill the LLY ECM. The LB7 (and other older/other gas controllers) will most likely be rendered inoperable by removing power after a failed full-flash.

Regards
Paul

Brockster
April 28th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I just pulled the ECM out of the truck tonight, i tried disconnecting the batterys last night and it still didn't work, i talked with Monte at ATP and they said they should be able to get it working doing a bench tune.

Brockster
April 29th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Still having problems with trying to get my truck to start, checked the fuses under the hood and don't have any power to the EDU fuse or the ECM fuse would this be caused because the ECM is not working or do i have other problems other the the ECM, "HELP"

Blacky
April 29th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Still having problems with trying to get my truck to start, checked the fuses under the hood and don't have any power to the EDU fuse or the ECM fuse would this be caused because the ECM is not working or do i have other problems other the the ECM, "HELP"

That would definitely cause the symptoms I saw in the log file.
Regards
Paul

Brockster
April 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM
so dose this mean the ecm and the ecu send power to them fuses?

Blacky
April 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
so dose this mean the ecm and the ecu send power to them fuses?

The ECM fuse supplies power to the ECM. If the EMC fuse is blown or not receiving power, then the ECM will not power up and will not function at all.
Regards
Paul

Brockster
April 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the help i finally got me truck to load the tune and it started up right away, my remote start was stopping it from down loading or interfearing with the download, and no problems truck running great.:jump: