PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Pressure PID

Kevin Doe
March 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
During my upgrade to the Beta BBL that just came out I followed the procedure to upgrade to the latest 7.5 software. I was previously using V7.4.2.

Then I upgraded to teh V7.5.3 software. I noticed the engine oil pressure pid name has changed in the Scan Tool, and is no longer supported for my controller type.

I have a 2004 GTO PCM using OS 12587604.

The PID I was using for Engine Oil Pressure in the 7.4 software was called GM.EOP and I was able to log the oil pressure. In the new V7.5 Scan tool the PID looks like it changed to GM.ENGOILP and is not supported. For me this is a critical PID to log since I road race my car and oil pump starvation is an issue I watch closely.

Is there anything I can do to log engine oil pressure as I did with the V7.4 software?

Edit: I just checked the PID description file to see if GM.EOP was available for BBL. I did find EOP in that LS1B_M_PIDs file. I was able to log the parameter in BBL. However when I toggled from metric to imperial units, EOP would remain in kPa even in imperial unit mode.

Blacky
March 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
You can change the units by specifying the units and conversion factor in the *PCU section at the end of the Options.ini file.

Here's an example of the entry you would need to convert kPa to psi:

; PID Caption Prec Units Op Factor Offset
; -------- -------- ---- ----- -- ------------- -------------
PCM,EOP, OilPsi, 1, psi, *, 0.1450377377, 0.0

ntae
March 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Had an oil pump on an ls1 fail on the dyno today efilive would not valadate the oil pressure pid

oztracktuning
March 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
So is EOP working again for our LS1-Bs via BB?? We lost it a while ago :)

Kevin Doe
March 23rd, 2008, 03:01 AM
Is there any way to log oil pressure via the Scan Tool software on my laptop? Please see original post for what the issue with that is.

Blacky
March 23rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
I'll check the engine oil pressure PID today on an LS1. And post back the results here.

Regards
Paul

Kevin Doe
March 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Any findings on this subject?

Blacky
March 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
The PID I was using for Engine Oil Pressure in the 7.4 software was called GM.EOP and I was able to log the oil pressure. In the new V7.5 Scan tool the PID looks like it changed to GM.ENGOILP and is not supported. For me this is a critical PID to log since I road race my car and oil pump starvation is an issue I watch closely.

You should use GM.EOPS to log oil pressure on an LS1 from the PC using the V7.x.x software. EOPS stood for Engine Oil Pressure Sender and originally only returned the sender's 0-5V signal, not kPa or PSI. Now that it is returning kPa and/or PSI in the BBL firmware, its name has been changed to just EOP.

EFILive automatically changes the BBL PID names back to their V7 equivalents so that you cna view the PIDs in the V7 software. Once V8 software is released the translation will no longer be necessary.

The Translation table for all PIDs with name changes between V7 and BBL is in the sae_generic.txt file under the section *BBLV7.

Here is the list to save digging around in the sae_generic.txt file

*BBLV7

#BBL Name V7 name
#------------- ----------------
; SAE paramaters
WO2AS11 WO2S11_B
WO2AS12 WO2S12_B
WO2AS13 WO2S13_B
WO2AS14 WO2S14_B
WO2AS21 WO2S21_B
WO2AS22 WO2S22_B
WO2AS23 WO2S23_B
WO2AS24 WO2S24_B

; GM Enhanced parameters
ESTDIAG STATE14
ETCTAC1 STATE15
ETCTAC2 STATE16
ETST ETCS
MAF_GM MAF
MAPS MAP
ACHPRS ACP
GENFDC ALT-F
TP_A TP
FRPS FPS
BBVPS BBS
DESTQ DESTRQ
EOP EOPS
EGRCMD EGRCOM
TRACTRQ ACTTRQ
TTQRET SEMRET
BARO_B BARO
EOLIFE EOL
RUNTIME RUN_TIME
MAFSD DYNAIR_LS2
EGRCLOSE EGRPINTLE
IDLERPM IDLRPM
STFTAVG1 SHRTFTAVG1
LTFTAVG1 LONGFTAVG1
STFTAVG2 SHRTFTAVG2
MFFAIL1 MFFAIL
MFPASS1 MFPASS
LTFTAVG2 LONGFTAVG2
FTV FTP
CASE CASEERR
CURRCYL CKREFCYL
FANDC FANPWMDC
GENLDC GENL_DC
IGN1CC IGNCOIL1
IGN2CC IGNCOIL2
IGN3CC IGNCOIL3
IGN4CC IGNCOIL4
IGN5CC IGNCOIL5
IGN6CC IGNCOIL6
IGN7CC IGNCOIL7
IGN8CC IGNCOIL8
INJ1CC INJECTOR1
INJ2CC INJECTOR2
INJ3CC INJECTOR3
INJ4CC INJECTOR4
INJ5CC INJECTOR5
INJ6CC INJECTOR6
INJ7CC INJECTOR7
INJ8CC INJECTOR8
O2H11DC O2HTRDCB1S1
O2H21DC O2HTRDCB2S1
VSFPDC FPVSPDDC
EOT EOILTS
FANSPD_DES FANSPD_ACT
TSTATE33 TSTATE02
TSTATE34 TSTATE03
TSTATE35 TSTATE04
TSTATE36 TSTATE05
TSTATE37 TSTATE06
TSTATE39 TSTATE07
TSTATE40 TSTATE08
TSTATE41 TSTATE09
TSTATE42 TSTATE10
TSTATE45 TSTATE12
TSTATE03 TSTATE13
TSTATE04 TSTATE14
TSTATE05 TSTATE15
TSTATE06 TSTATE16
TSTATE07 TSTATE17
TSTATE16 TSTATE18
Regards
Paul

Kevin Doe
March 24th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I guess I should be more clear.

When I open EFILive Scan 7.5 (7.5.4 Build 44) I do not see a PID called GM.EOPS. The only oil related parameters I see are:

GM.ENGOILP (not supported, and described as Engine Oil Pressure in kPa,PSI)
GM.OILTS (not supported, and described as Engine Oil Temperature in *C,*F)
GM.EOILT (not supported, and described as Engine Oil Estimated Temperature in *C, *F)
GM.EOL (supported, and described as Engine Oil Life in %)

However, in BBL, I can log EOP.

Blacky
March 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I guess I should be more clear.

When I open EFILive Scan 7.5 (7.5.4 Build 44) I do not see a PID called GM.EOPS.

Have you tried (re)validating PIDs using the menu option: Info->Validate PIDs.
If that does not help (probably won't if you are not seeing it at all, even as "non supported"), let me know and I'll dig into this issue deeper.

Can you please tell me what operating system your LS1 is?

Regards
Paul

Kevin Doe
March 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Have you tried (re)validating PIDs using the menu option: Info->Validate PIDs.
If that does not help (probably won't if you are not seeing it at all, even as "non supported"), let me know and I'll dig into this issue deeper.

Can you please tell me what operating system your LS1 is?

Regards
Paul

Yes, I tried several times to revalidate the PIDs, but it still doesn't show up.

My OS is 12587604.

In EFILive Scan 7.4 I was the PID GM.EOP was available and logged in kPa,Psi. If you find an issue is there any chance you have updated software that will include a fix for this by April 11th? Just curious because I'd like to log engine oil pressure for my first track day. Not sure how fast your turnaround is or what your plans are for rolling in all these new fixes we just found.

Blacky
March 25th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I will be updating the software before the end of the week. I expect the oil pressure PID to be fixed in that release.
Paul

Blacky
March 25th, 2008, 02:30 AM
The GM.EOPS PID is now back in the config file, however the LS1 controller returns the value as a voltage between 0 and 5 volts. The default conversion factor and offset for LS1 controllers is:

kPa = V*1103.125-110.3125
or
psi = V*160-16

Correction, the factors should be:
1103.125/5=220.625 for kPa and
160/5=32 for psi.
The offsets remain the same.

I recommend creating a calculated PID to display the oil pressure in kPa or psi. I have not yet worked out what the conversion factor is for other controllers (i.e. Duramax Diesel).

For LS2 applications, use PID GM.ENGOILP which is returned in kPa. GM.ENGOILP is not available in LS1 platforms, which is why you need to create a calculated PID based on GM.EOPS.

Warning: The factor and offset shown above are calibrated values and on some controllers may be different than the constants I described here.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 25th, 2008, 02:33 AM
The BB Logging PID: EOP, was configured to convert the PID voltage to kPa, but it cannot be configured with a constant factor and offset as they are calibrated values in the LS1 controller.

It will be changed to return volts and renamed to EOPS - exactly the same as the V7.5.x software.

Regards
Paul

emarkay
April 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM
So EOP is now available for what year LS1's?

Blacky
April 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
ALL LS1's, except those LS1's that do not have an oil sender connected to the PCM. (i.e. F bodies). The PID is still valid on those PCMs but it does not return oil pressure data.

Regards
Paul

JR-CRUZN-C5
April 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Kevin -

I'm a drag racer with a 9 sec 2000 C5 Coupe running a C5R 427 blower car. My V1 was stolen in Memphis last year at the LSX shootouts. I now have a V2and am patiently waiting for BBL to arrive. I use this on one car for dragracing! I am intrigued by the Oil Pressure PID. Do you think the signal from a 2000 GM PCM oil pressure sender "could" be used to trigger a engine safety shutoff? Your thread here got me to thinking!

JR

Blacky
April 15th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Kevin -

I'm a drag racer with a 9 sec 2000 C5 Coupe running a C5R 427 blower car. My V1 was stolen in Memphis last year at the LSX shootouts. I now have a V2and am patiently waiting for BBL to arrive. I use this on one car for dragracing! I am intrigued by the Oil Pressure PID. Do you think the signal from a 2000 GM PCM oil pressure sender "could" be used to trigger a engine safety shutoff? Your thread here got me to thinking!

JR

There is provision in the 2000 PCM for the engine to shut off due to low oil pressure. Is that what you mean?
Paul

JR-CRUZN-C5
April 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Blacky -

Yep - That's exactly what I mean. But I wonder if the GM safety margin is fast enough to save a racing engine from catistrophic failure due to a broken or failing oil pump during a run???

JR

Blacky
April 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Can't say for sure, but probably not. I think the built in shut-off and logging of the shutoff reason is just to help the dealer pinpoint why the bearings are all munched up.
I don't think it is there to save anything before it gets damaged.

Paul

vxleather
July 8th, 2008, 01:46 PM
The GM.EOPS PID is now back in the config file, however the LS1 controller returns the value as a voltage between 0 and 5 volts. The default conversion factor and offset for LS1 controllers is:

kPa = V*1103.125-110.3125
or
psi = V*160-16

Correction, the factors should be:
1103.125/5=220.625 for kPa and
160/5=32 for psi.
The offsets remain the same.

I recommend creating a calculated PID to display the oil pressure in kPa or psi. I have not yet worked out what the conversion factor is for other controllers (i.e. Duramax Diesel).

For LS2 applications, use PID GM.ENGOILP which is returned in kPa. GM.ENGOILP is not available in LS1 platforms, which is why you need to create a calculated PID based on GM.EOPS.

Warning: The factor and offset shown above are calibrated values and on some controllers may be different than the constants I described here.

Regards
Paul

Have a LS1 Vx commodore... have been loging eops and can see the voltage in BBLlog... Can some one point me in the right direction to a thread that will tell me where and how to enter the above information... would love to read it in PSi and have a alarm in BBL for low oil when running the 1/4

Shane

Blacky
July 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Example of how to create a calculated PID:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=132

Another one:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10

Regards
Paul

vxleather
July 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Lol going to have to do so some more reading crap that is confusing...

Ninety8C5
July 9th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I played with this in the Options.ini file, but the V2 does not seem to know how to subtract. I haven't tried it lately and don't know if it would work now.

*PCU
;
; -------- --------- ---- ----- -- ------------- -------------
PCM,EOPS, EOPS, 1, psi, *, 32.0, -16

Or you can add this to the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt file.

# ================================================== ============================
# Add slot definitions here
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#Units Low High Fmt Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-043
PSI 0.0 150.0 0.0 "({GM.EOPS}*32)-16"

# ================================================== ============================
*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- -------------------------------
CALC.OIL_PRESSURE F043 CLC-00-043 PSI Testing "Engine Oil Pressure"

Blacky
July 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I played with this in the Options.ini file, but the V2 does not seem to know how to subtract. I haven't tried it lately and don't know if it would work now.

*PCU
;
; -------- --------- ---- ----- -- ------------- -------------
PCM,EOPS, EOPS, 1, psi, *, 32.0, -16

I tried this just now and it appears to work ok.
Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
July 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I tried this just now and it appears to work ok.
Regards
Paul

It seems to work and is reasonably close to the 'Oil Pressure' gauge. The digtal readout on the car seems to read a little lower, but close.

Wolfie
July 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Has anyone tried using the calc_pids.txt file?
I got an PSI error, so changed PSI to psi.
That worked, but then I get a slot error.
Have a 2007 Express with a LQ4 6.0

Cablebandit
November 13th, 2008, 11:49 PM
so did i read this correctly that even with a custom pid we can not use this on a 2000 F-body?

joecar
November 14th, 2008, 04:47 AM
so did i read this correctly that even with a custom pid we can not use this on a 2000 F-body?Yes correct, for F-body, the oil pressure sensor feeds the IPC and not the PCM.

joecar
December 15th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Is EOP working (for C5 Z06)...?

Blacky
December 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Is EOP working (for C5 Z06)...?
Yes, it should do.
Paul

joecar
December 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
For anyone interested, here's a sample calc_pids.txt showing EOP in psi and kPa.