PDA

View Full Version : V7 documentation progress

emarkay
October 26th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Just a move from the "dark side" to the "public side" for a bit. We are actively working on the documentation for the hardware and the software. While the layout and format will be very similar to the V6 format, there is an opportunity now for constructive suggestions regarding that format, layout, font size, blah blah blah... :)

Also since we will NOT be writing a "How to tune your LS1" encyclopaedia, but WILL have some general "tuning" information included, those outside the Beta Test are invited to offer suggestions and information about their experiances, as well as "do's and don'ts" to assist those who may not have as much knowledge in the art of tuning.

Proper credit will be given if requested and EFILive reserves the right to edit as needed.

Feel free to either post here or email me direct at emarkay@email.com

MRK

bob1esq
November 2nd, 2004, 12:00 PM
yes, make sure you tell people to do a ckp learn if they have replaced the engine, otherwise they will get misfire readings

bob1esq
November 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM
also, using excel pivot tables is almost a requirement. It takes a while to learn how to manipulate excel pivot tables, but makes tuning meaningful. And do not expect all fuel trims for a specified map or maf to be the same, they will jump around for no apparent reason. It is best to set injector offset or maf tables based on averages. Also, fuel trim cell numbers are only an estimate of what the engine is doing, and will not always be perfectly correct, but are useful for estimating what the engine is doing.

emarkay
November 2nd, 2004, 12:31 PM
Bob,

Can you define a "pivot table" in the context of use with EFILive?

You sound like you "have a clue" (or two) and I am very interested in some additional input from you.

One area I really have no info on is stock tuning - or optimising a non modded engine - it's sort of diminishing returns at times, but a fair amount of folks are trying it. Also for modded engines are there any "must do's" that should be done - in a specific manner as opposed to the "tweaking" process...

Let me know!

MRK

deezel
November 3rd, 2004, 11:22 PM
I might be able to answer...

A pivot table in excel is a way to manipulate and view data in organized fashion. You can take rows or columns of data and plot them against each other, having the spreadsheet do calculations on the cumulative data. In other words, you could plot spark advance in a map of RPM versus Cylinder Air (like a PCM spark table), and then use the pivot table functions to show counts, sum, average, min, max, etc. This is very similar to the maps in EFILive v5, but with more functionality.

I have used pivot tables to generate "calculated" VE tables, for example.

I also agree with the statement about diminishing returns for tuning stock or lightly modded engines. Once you get fuel/spark in the right range, not much else to do. Auto trans settings, however, do offer a nice "range" of tuning options to customize the daily-driver performance to the owner's preference.

cheers

AllCammedUp
November 4th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Some of the biggest 'stock' tuning items to address (IMHO) are:

Fan settings
Rev limiter
Idle speed
Gear ratio changes
Tire size changes
Auto tranny - shift firmness, etc.
manual tranny - CAGS (1st - 4th skip shift) elimination
Clearing the MIL

Just being able to change the fan settings to accompany a cooler thermostat is a big help to fight KR and optimize the stock package with other bolt-on mods.

Nothing I listed above really 'make' more HP - they just allow the owner to further customize their ride to match their tastes/mods

Blacky
November 4th, 2004, 08:16 AM
also, using excel pivot tables is almost a requirement. It takes a while to learn how to manipulate excel pivot tables, but makes tuning meaningful.

The EFIlive V7 Scan Tool has "pivot tables" built in. Granted they are probably not as flexible as using Excel. But for any given data selection (i.e. a highlighted dection of data in the charts) they will display *any* PID plotted against *any* other two PIDs.
The pivot tables display counts, min, max and average.
If desired, the data from the pivot tables (including data from Excel Pivot tables) can even be copied/pasted directly into calibration maps in EFILive's Tuning Tool.

EFIlive will track and update up to 4 pivot tables simultaneously.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 4th, 2004, 08:37 AM
yes, make sure you tell people to do a ckp learn if they have replaced the engine, otherwise they will get misfire readings

Excellent point!
Also., not just engine swaps but any change that causes the CASE (Crank Angle Sensor Error) relearn data in the PCM to not match the current engine/crank position sensor combination.

This is just my understanding of what a CASE relearn does. It may not be 100% accurate. If anyone knows more accurate details please let me know.

A CASE relearn has no effect on the PCM's ability to control spark and injectors, those operations still function normally using the crank sensor whether a relearn has be done or not.

Basically the CASE relearn procedure is performed so that the PCM can "record" the exact crank signal under controlled engine deceleration (i.e. no firing events, fuel and spark disabled).

The crank relearn procedure involves free-reving the engine to about 4500rpm, then the PCM will cut spark and fuel (simulating misfires) for about 0.5 seconds during which time it records the crank signal for future (misfire) reference.

When you do the crank learn the *exact* timing of the electronic pulses from the crank sensor are recorded in the PCM's non-volatile memory (i.e. the recording will not be cleared if power is removed from the PCM).

Each time a firing event is expected to occur, (i.e. when the PCM fires the spark plug) the crank signal is compared with the signal that was recorded during the CASE learn. If the signals are the same (or very similar) then the PCM determines that the firing event did not occur. It is not an "exact science" so you will usually get a number of misfires reported on each cylinder. Such "misfires" should be low (around 20-30) and be evenly distributed across all cylinders

If you have a recording in your PCM from your previous engine/crank combination, or if you swap you PCM for a different one that contains data from a different engine/crank combination, then chances are the PCM will get confused and may report false misfires or may fail to detect real misfires.

Regards
Paul