PDA

View Full Version : Flash Scan module acting weird with BBL

Kevin Doe
March 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Sorry for the non-descriptive title.

Here is what I have noticed in the last day. On Easter I logged two 15 minute sessions of driving in BBL mode (no laptop). These sessions logged fine.

I flashed a new tune with a few minor changes (desired airflow and idle speed).

The next day I went out to do some more BBL style logging.

Issue 1.
I selected "select vehicle". It said something about none defined or something to that tune. I thougth that was weird, so I took my Flash Scan module back inside and opened up EFILive Explorer. I went to the Config files tab, and it showed nothing in there. Previously I copied all the config files in there. Why they disappeared, I have no idea.

Issue 2.
I tried to copy over the config files again, and it gave me an error $0185. So I formatted the config area. Then I was able to copy over all the config files.

Issue 3.
Then I went out to tune, I noticed that the LC-1 Wideband values were not updating. So I went to options, setup, edit settings, and noticed that Com In, Com Out, and WB Type were all reset. I had to set them back to WB02 and Innovate, then the serial wideband values began workin again.

Issue 4.
I attempted to log 4 sessions. The first session appears to have logged fine. The second session was cut short. I looked at the FlashScan module and noticed that the blue light was no longer flashing. I hit the cancel button and it said that it was saving the log file. When I transfered it to my laptop, the file was cut significantly short.

I attempted to long another session, and it was also cut short (and the data is corrupt). I did this again, only to find the same result. I have uploaded some files for your viewing.

BBL00001.efi - good log
BBL00002.efi - log cut short (I was recording for ~15 minutes but this is all that actually logged)
BBL00003.efi - log corrupt
BBL00004.efi - log corrupt.

Issue 5.
I noticed that all log files are time stamped with the same exact time (6:09 PM), although the logs happened ~15 minutes apart from each other. It seems as if the time was also reset.

I'm not sure what happened here. It somewhat seems as if the FlashScan module reset. But then after I restored the settinsg and files, it logged correctly once, then it went bad from there.

Blacky
March 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Keven,

Thanks for the detailed description. Something (I don't know what yet) is resetting (or corrupting) the Config file system. That will reset all the settings you explained in your post.

Because FlashScan has no battery it cannot keep time once power is removed. When you set the time, either from FlashScan's keypad or from the EFILive_Explorer program, the time you set is saved into the Settings.dat file in the Config file system. Each time you power up FlashScan, it reads that time from the settings.dat file. It just means the time won't default to Jan 01, 2000 or some similar date way back in the past. It is not however, a good substitute for a real-time clock.

The way it is designed to work is, just prior to setting out for a logging session, you should use EFILive_Explorer to set the current date/time in FlashScan. That will save the current date/time into the Settings.dat file. Then you disconnect FlashScan from the PC, walk out to the car, plug FlashScan back in and the date/time defaults to what you had programmed in a few seconds earlier. If you disconnect or reboot FlashScan, the date/time will reset back to that initial date/time.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
The second session was cut short. I looked at the FlashScan module and noticed that the blue light was no longer flashing. I hit the cancel button and it said that it was saving the log file. When I transfered it to my laptop, the file was cut significantly short.

Were you logging to FlashScan's internal memory (IM) or to an SD card?
You can tell by the "SD" or "IM" message on the lower left corner of FlashScan's display.

Did the filesystem to which you were logging fill up? What do you see (in terms of used/free space) when you click on [Properties] on the [Scan] tab page in EFILive_Explorer?

It might be worth formatting the IM memory and/or the SD card again - just in case they too got messed up when the Config file system got damaged.

Regards
Paul

Kevin Doe
March 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I wasnt' sure if there was a small Lithium ion battery or somethin for the clock.

I did some more experimenting with the BBL. I did several (12) tests. During several tests (the first few) the blue light stopped flashing, and the frame counter stopped counting. The data was still updating. If I pressed enter, it would increment the frame counter by one. I could press enter 5 times and ti would increment the frame counter 5 times. However the file was still either corrupt or just ended short of me actually stopping the log.

Then the last few logs worked fine, and I did a 30 minute long log at the end and all was well.

Any ideas about this. I'm gonna try it with a different SD card and see if I have any issues there.

Kevin Doe
March 24th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Were you logging to FlashScan's internal memory (IM) or to an SD card?
You can tell by the "SD" or "IM" message on the lower left corner of FlashScan's display.

Did the filesystem to which you were logging fill up? What do you see (in terms of used/free space) when you click on [Properties] on the [Scan] tab page in EFILive_Explorer?

It might be worth formatting the IM memory and/or the SD card again - just in case they too got messed up when the Config file system got damaged.

Regards
Paul

I was logging to the SD card (its a 256k micro SD card, inside an SD card adapter). The card was not full, not 10% full. I just ordered two 2GB SanDisk SD cards and they just came in today. I'll test with those as well.