PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol Injection

4ethanol
March 28th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Looking for input on the 08 Chevy Duramax with the LLM engine. I am looking into what economy there may be with 100 proof ethanol injection. So far I have some 1200 miles looking at regen occurance and mileage. Dyno shows some 50 plus horsepower gain to a stock 08 Chevy 2500. Mileage gain shows only a few % but regen should be occurring less. Regen results show nearly a 25% fuel flow increase while in regen. Based on previous injection systems, I should be seeing a noticeable drop in EGT. My question is, do these 08 model trucks monitor EGT temps, trying to maintain a higher overall EGT to reduce particulates. This would then help limit regen but it seems to limit any economy results.

killerbee
March 31st, 2008, 02:23 AM
Unless you have a way to monitor cylinder pressure, I suggest you stop flirting with this. Rebuilding your motor will more than negate any economy benefits.

And besides, you are making it impossible for me to eat. :)

camcojb
April 1st, 2008, 05:02 AM
I run a Snow Stage II kit on my LMM. 50/50 water/alcohol mix, definitely picked up power and lowered egt's. I do not know how it'll help with mileage though, as it doesn't inject in the areas where you'd be cruising down the road trying to get mileage.

Jody

4ethanol
April 1st, 2008, 06:21 AM
The stage 3 has dual nozzles, economy & boost. Economy can be set to start and for 100% based on manifold pressure and boost can be set to start at a assigned pressure along with on or off for an assigned EGT. Talking to several people with experience, a noticeable reduction in particulate should occur due to both ethanol/methanol and water injection. Ethanol has some 25% more heat energy and I am running 50/50 blend at a very moderate flow. Some 25% of overall flow and it is showing some gain in diesel mileage. Of course the best market for ethanol is in the Midwest, but cost should be about $1.40 to $160 at today market.

camcojb
April 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM
The stage 3 has dual nozzles, economy & boost. Economy can be set to start and for 100% based on manifold pressure and boost can be set to start at a assigned pressure along with on or off for an assigned EGT. Talking to several people with experience, a noticeable reduction in particulate should occur due to both ethanol/methanol and water injection. Ethanol has some 25% more heat energy and I am running 50/50 blend at a very moderate flow. Some 25% of overall flow and it is showing some gain in diesel mileage. Of course the best market for ethanol is in the Midwest, but cost should be about $1.40 to $160 at today market.

I still don't see how it'll help cruising economy. If you have it set to be on, even partially at a cruise, then you're going to need one big tank, as you'll go through it very fast. Out here ethanol is much more expensive than methanol, and non-existant at the pumps, so I'm using methanol. Also, ethanol makes my truck smoke more at wot than methanol, not sure why that is (both with identical nozzles).

Even at 25% flow when you added the additional cost of using it all the time to each tank of gas I don't see how you could possibly come out ahead for the minimal gains in mileage. Now if you want to talk power on a diesel, or more boost/timing/power on gas engines I'm all over that. Been running these systems for years and every pump gas blown deal I build gets one, including my latest twin turbo Chevelle.

Jody

4ethanol
April 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM
I tried this on an 08 vehicle since it should reduce the amount of regen to occur, or at least that what I am told should happen. The one draw back is that at least with the 08Chevy, I see either a 20 degree increase in EGT or I see about a pound drop in manifold pressure as injection occurs. While pulling a 7000 lb. trailer, I also notice that at times EGT can run 1020 to 1040, not the noted 1150 as in regen, this to gives way to very poor mileage. All's I am trying to do is see if there are better ways, but I don't think I will find out with the 08 Chevy in stock configuration. And yes, over the road truckers would most likely be the only one to really benifit from this ecomonically.

Sometime the industry goes full steam and you have to ask why. Just search for a report that show Toyota,Ford and Chevy Flex Vehicles all getting better mileage on E25 to E30 then straight Tier II gas. That report also shows that at E30, CO2 emmision are at the lowest. The most efficient burn as one expert contends. Some would say it's the best blend.

drmatt
April 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Are you just worried that when you truck is doing a regen your EGT's rise and your burning more fuel???

Cut the DPF out, straight pipe that unit, and program out your regen sequence with EFI. Cut all that garbage off the bottom of your truck, that alone will save you 200lbs of weight and will get you more milage than pumping in 40gallons of ethanol every tank, and you'll drop 200* off your egt with a larger exhaust.