PDA

View Full Version : downloading stock tune help!!!

weettiddo007
March 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
OK i just bought efi and ive posted this problem on dieselplace.com but i figured id put it on here too and see if i get any more ideas. I am trying to download my stock tune and encountering bootloader errors. I had a six gun on my truck but physically removed all remnants of it so thast shouldnt be the problem. Ive unhooked both batteries for and hour. Ive unplugged my radio fuse and onstar fuse. Ive pulled the pcm fuse for a while to try and reset it. i have absolutely no aftermarket electronics installed. i have also driven the truck for 30 minutes to charge the battery up and am reading almost 14 volts with the key on but the engine not running. all of my lights and ac are off. i turn the truck to the on position plug in the obdII plug in the usb start efi tuning tool click the blakc and green button to d/l tune. I continually get this message

ecm not secured
initializing ecm
"" step 1 of 4
setep 2 of 4
step 3 of 4
step 4 of 4
ecm lock has been rearmed attempting to unlock ecm again

initializin bootloader
error failed, controller has returned to normal operation
initialinz bootloader step 1 of 3
error
disconecting
disconected
done!

i have looked at the button to see if the ecm is locked and it tells me it isnt.

Im terribly confused.

GMPX
March 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
What engine / year is the truck?
My first response would be to ensure you have the correct ECM type selected in the drop down list before you go to read the truck.

Cheers,
Ross

weettiddo007
March 29th, 2008, 06:42 PM
2004 lb7 8th digit of vin is a 1 thats what i have selected on the drop down menu

GMPX
March 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM
ok, I think the only hope we have to see what is going on is if you can locate a couple of files on your laptop there to send to us -
Open Windows Explorer and go to the folder -

\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bug reports

Or if you are using Version 7 (not 7.5)

\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Bug reports

In there will be various files with the extension .blx
Can you please send them to support@efilive.com

Thanks,
Ross

weettiddo007
March 30th, 2008, 05:26 AM
e-mail sent

weettiddo007
March 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
no luck yet?

GMPX
March 31st, 2008, 12:18 PM
No Email in my inbox yet! I'll PM you my direct Email address.

Cheers,
Ross

weettiddo007
March 31st, 2008, 12:31 PM
email sent

GMPX
March 31st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Yep, got it all thanks.
Just want to keep this public because it's a little odd.
Hoping maybe some other Diesel guys might have seen this issue because it has me a little stumped.

The issue with this truck is as the read initializes.
EFILive queries the ECM to the it's lock status.
ECM reports back it is already unlocked.
EFILive starts to send the read bootloader to the ECM
ECM rejects this request saying it is locked :unsure:

weettiddo007 said the truck has only had dealer updates (if any have ever been done).

Have any of you regular Duramax tuners ever seen this?
I'm leaning toward TechII ECM corruption (has been seen before but normally on 2001's).

Cheers,
Ross

weettiddo007
March 31st, 2008, 05:33 PM
Just to clarify, not sure if it matters, when the gauge cluster was changed it was done at a local mechanic, not the dealer.

weettiddo007
April 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM
no luck or help yet?

GMPX
April 1st, 2008, 11:22 PM
Well, the problem is trying to rule out specific things 'easily' without taking your truck out of action.

As I mentioned in my earlier post TechII was corrupting ECM's a year or so back that resulted in a similar situation to yours.
Do you know anyone else with EFILive (or a TechII in your area?)
Do you have access to another truck to just read it out to confirm your setup is ok?

Cheers,
Ross

weettiddo007
April 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
No I dont know anyone with another duramax or efilive. I did read my tcm fine though so I assume that my laptop setup should be okay

N0DIH
April 3rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Is Onstar fuse in? Just because you don't "have it" doesn't mean it isn't there, a friend of mine ran into that one recently, OnStar was OEM install (note, this is GM's desire) but no antenna or mirror present with OnStar.

After numerous reflash and no dice, he pulled the OnStar fuse which was there and it flashed fine.

Not sure if it helps, but can't hurt to check!

weettiddo007
April 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
took it out and still did it. i am going to try again right now

weettiddo007
April 4th, 2008, 10:15 AM
before i try, say the ecm is corrupted, is there someway to fix it or will i have to get a new one?

GMPX
April 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Unfortunately there is no 'easy' way to fix them in that state. We've had a couple of users in this situation after a dealer update with TechII.

What might confirm if the ECM is bad, in the Tuning tool, there is an icon that looks like a chip (next to the read/flash icons), press that and see if the data the ECM sends back looks normal, meaning, is the VIN ok?, are the various part numbers shown ok? In particular, the Serial Number, Hardware Number, BCC. If you can please let us know what they are that will give me an indication of the state of the ECM.

Cheers,
Ross

weettiddo007
April 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM
everything is shown except for the bcc and hardware. the bcc box is blank and the hardware shows an n/a

weettiddo007
April 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
it shows vin:1GCHK23194F152004 serial:3294000C219Z hardware: n/a os:15189044 calibration id: 15189043 bcc: blank

GMPX
April 6th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I'm afraid to say that at some point your ECM has been corrupted by TechII.
The telltale signs are No BCC, No Hardware#.
I might try to set up an ECM here and get TIS to corrupt it to see what we might be able to come up with.

Cheers,
Ross

weettiddo007
April 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
bummer...what are the fixes for this? Or am i just going to need a new ecm?

GMPX
April 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately yes, or you could ship the ECM here to Australia to be fixed :shock: (jk)

I still haven't had a chance to get an ECM on the bench here to figure out exactly what TechII does.

Cheers,
Ross

weettiddo007
April 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM
haha thats a bummer...keep me posted if you find out anymore info

GMPX
April 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I can't get TechII to corrupt the ECM I'm afraid.
If I had a spare ECM I'd swap it with you just so I could see what goes wrong!

Cheers,
Ross

timthecarman2004
April 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I have just ran into the same exact problem. No BCC and I can not read the stock file. I have done all the same exact things. I took the truck to a dealership and they told me that the ECM has all the latest and greatest updates and that the ECM is ok. I know that they did not actually flash the ECM. So they can connect to the ECM, but I do not know if they can read it or flash it. I need help toooo.

timthecarman2004
April 10th, 2008, 07:08 AM
If it also helps I have loaded a superchip flashpaq into the truck and it runs fine. I tried to pull that tune out and still the same problem. I then pulled the flashpaq out and still the same problem. I am ordering a bench harness, and trying that next...

GMPX
May 18th, 2008, 03:14 PM
We have made a change to the software to get around this problem, it has been tested to work on an ECM here.
If you are willing to use Beta software it will be released as another Beta release shortly.

Cheers,
Ross

weettiddo007
May 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM
when can i get this release? i was just about to sell my efi. im glad this came out. what are the downfallas of using the beta release?

Blacky
May 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
The next beta update is due for release Mon 19th May (i.e. tomorrow US time).
It will be posted in this forum here as the "May 19 2008" update:
http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Regards
Paul

weettiddo007
May 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
i looked at the page and i have no idea what all this means. should i just wait for the public release or can you point me in the right direction on what i need to do?

Blacky
May 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Wait until we post up the May 19 update - should be available within 24 hours - probably sooner.
It will be posted in a new thread in the forum I linked to previously.
It will contain a zip file that you need to download to your laptop.

You must have the latest V7.5.3 software installed (or already be using the V7.5.4 beta software).

Then just unzip the downloaded zip file into the folder: \Program Files\EFILive, overwriting all existing files of the same name.

Then locate the file \Program Files\EFILive\Readme_First.pdf. Read that file carefully, it explains how to upgrade your FlashScan's boot block and firmware and how to start using the new software.

Regards
Paul

weettiddo007
May 20th, 2008, 04:39 AM
i downloaded everything and installed everything and i get the same bootloader error

weettiddo007
May 20th, 2008, 04:47 AM
scratch that, tried it again with alt keys and it worked. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

weettiddo007
May 21st, 2008, 06:07 AM
Do you guys want me to send you any files? If they will maybe help with your adjustments. Everything works for me but there are still unlocking things on the screen.

joecar
May 21st, 2008, 07:29 AM
weettiddo007,

Can you capture screenshots and post them in this thread...

How to post images (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3064)

Thanks,
Joe
:cheers:

weettiddo007
May 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
will do, im going out later tonight and ill take some shots then.