PDA

View Full Version : Setting timing ?

Chuck L.
April 1st, 2008, 03:15 AM
Putting the 2000 7.4 Vortec back together, and need to print out the dist install/setting procedure.
NE1 know where to find this? I have no shop manual..:doh2:

hquick
April 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM
Loosen dizzy hold down, scan GM.CMPRET and turn dizzy to adjust. Rev to 1200 to get a new reading after each adjustment. Needs to be +/- 2.

Chuck L.
April 1st, 2008, 06:42 AM
Loosen dizzy hold down, scan GM.CMPRET and turn dizzy to adjust. Rev to 1200 to get a new reading after each adjustment. Needs to be +/- 2.

Howard. The info will be recorded and referred to!!:cheers:

Chuck L.
April 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Howard. The info will be recorded and referred to!!:cheers:

I have the FSM info on the dist install and setting.
NE1 interested in seeing it posted for reference??

hquick
April 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Yes please Chuck...post it up.

Chuck L.
April 3rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
Got this POS back together.. cranks, no start!
Flashscan shows DTC B0472..
Have talked to several folks.. no such code found.:doh2:
Engine acts like it's got the VATS activated.. Not even sure this truck has it??
I tried clearing code, unhooking the batt, checking all the connections, reviewing my "checklist", checking fuel psi, checking the pins in the PCM, asking the owner if he'd had problems.. all to no avail.
2000 3/4HD, 7.4.....
NEVER AGAIN, will I try to help someone w/ stuff like this. Into this "project for 3 days..
I am so pi$$ed off, I'm seeing red:cussing:

UPDATE! Seems there's 2 "timing tabs".:doh2:
1 rt under the WP, 1 about 3-4 o'clock.
Seems I, in my "newbie mode", used the wrong tab! [ASSuming the top tab is the correct one!]
Now, it's tear the dist out, w/ all the crap piled on top of it, and fight the oil pump drive, and get this POS timed RIGHT, this time around.
The owner must think I'm a REAL moron w/ this job..:rotflmao:
Have checked several more places.. Seems noone can find DTC B0472..
DFE1 and I updated the program to the latest software.. Would/could a bug in the ware, cause this fake code,or is it something we/I are doing? :help2:

hquick
April 3rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Sorry Chuck...no idea.
Once again...the best place to ask any and all questions about the Vortec trucks is the Pacific Performance forum I gave you the link to. Alot of the guys on there are mechanics or tech's....and they all own these vehicles ONLY.

Blacky
April 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Got this POS back together.. cranks, no start!
Flashscan shows DTC B0472..
Have talked to several folks.. no such code found.:doh2:
Engine acts like it's got the VATS activated.. Not even sure this truck has it??

I've got that code listed as:
B0472: Auxiliary Heater Coolant Pump Circuit Open".
I'm sorry but I don't even know which heater it is referring to.

Just to be on the safe side, after you display the DTC's using the EFILive Scan Tool software, please generate a user error report (Menu: File->Generate User Error Report) save it and send it to me at paul@efilive.com. That way I can check that the code is what it says it is and that it is not being "mis-displayed" by the PC.

Include a link to this thread so I can correlate your email with this thread.

Regards
Paul

dfe1
April 6th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Just to be on the safe side, after you display the DTC's using the EFILive Scan Tool software, please generate a user error report (Menu: File->Generate User Error Report) save it and send it to me at paul@efilive.com. That way I can check that the code is what it says it is and that it is not being "mis-displayed" by the PC.

Include a link to this thread so I can correlate your email with this thread.

Regards
Paul
Chuck L is digitally challenged, and binarily bankrupt, so it may be a while.