PDA

View Full Version : PLX SM-AFR Serial upgrade

ntae
April 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi jez came up to mackay for the weekend and we worked out what parts & pids are needed for a PLX SM-AFR to output serial data in to your V2 cable & in passthrough mode

3 wire is all the is needed in side the SM-AFR and a serial cable with a RJ12 crimped on

the parts are off ebay it took just over a week to get to OZ

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160220472353

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/ntae/DSCF3100.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/ntae/DSCF3101.jpg

Geoff

TNT76
April 14th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Just modded my PLX also for serial coms. Works great.

JezzaB
April 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Certainly made my life sooo much easier after I did it. Couldnt go back to analog now.

Jez

MICK
April 14th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks Guys the pictures answered all my questions.

Nice work!

Mick

Mr. P.
April 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hi, I'm only half-following here - what's the purpose of doing this? Are you monitoring the WB with a PC via serial???

Mr. P. :)

JezzaB
April 15th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hi, I'm only half-following here - what's the purpose of doing this? Are you monitoring the WB with a PC via serial???

Mr. P. :)

The V2 unit has a RS232 serial interface. Instead of logging with analog where alot of us are getting voltage offsets and its throwing the AFRs out. You connect the PLX to the V2 so you get a pure signal from the PLX as the PLX see's it, straight to the V2.

Nice accurate AFR readings ;)

Jez

PS The TTL converter board is a 3-5v board, so if you tap the regulated power to the PIC chip inside the PLX, it supplies a nice and stable 3.54v (red wire) to power it.

joecar
April 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Allows V2 to read the AFR from the wideband in digital form (i.e. what the wideband's controller says it is).

Nice work you guys... :cheers:

Chalky
April 20th, 2008, 06:30 AM
For the technically challenged, after adding the three wires, where would I find the cable for the serial adapter to the V2?

MICK
April 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
I purchased everything I needed to make a plx cable from jay-car.

6 x RJ12 plugs for $1.80 (This was the smallest quantity).
1 meter flat stranded 6 core wire cable $0.90.
1 x D9 shell $1.80.
1 x D9 plug $1.20.

I lashed out...LOL

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
For the technically challenged, after adding the three wires, where would I find the cable for the serial adapter to the V2?
The serial cable ships with FlashScan. It has an RJ12 plug on one end to fit into FlashScan and a 9 pin serial plug on the other end.

Regards
Paul

SV8346
April 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
does this mean that we cant log OBD2 while the serial cable for AFRs is plugged in. Only thing we can see is AFR's, is there a way of being able to plug in both the OBD cable and the serial cable to be able to read the AFR's allot more accurate and also log the cars activities?

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
does this mean that we cant log OBD2 while the serial cable for AFRs is plugged in. Only thing we can see is AFR's, is there a way of being able to plug in both the OBD cable and the serial cable to be able to read the AFR's allot more accurate and also log the cars activities?

The wide band serial cable connects to the RJ12 (6 pin) connector next to the USB connector at the top of FlashScan.
The OBDII cable connects to the RJ45 (8 pin) connector at the base of FlashScan.

So yes you can (and must) log wide band O2 data simultaneously with OBDII data.

Regards
Paul

SV8346
April 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
ahhh ok sweet, now i gotcha. Well i look forward to this in the very near future as at the moment i am only view PLX afr through the 2 pin connectors in the base of the V2.

Chalky
April 24th, 2008, 03:07 AM
The serial cable ships with FlashScan. It has an RJ12 plug on one end to fit into FlashScan and a 9 pin serial plug on the other end.

Regards
Paul

Guess I need to find my original packaging. :)

Chalky
April 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM
So this is what I need? (The Link is old from OP)

MAX232 RS232 to TTL Converter Board.

I can't find my serial/RJ12 cable from EFILive. I was going to have one made locally if practical or order a new one. Can someone give me specs on how a cable should be configured to work between the DB9 and Flashscan V2?

Thanks in advance.

MICK
April 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I found my serial cable from EFILive and must say it is of good quality.

The only thing I noticed was that I required a gender bender because the DB9 plug on the RS232 converter was male and so was the plug end on the EFIlive serial cable.

You can make a cable but the EFiLive cable is to sweet.

Look back through the threads and find the picture of the RJ12 plug and the phone jack, that will explain the RJ12 end.

This was a pic I dug up on the RS232 Converter that I purchased, so it should give you a better idea on the DB9 end.

Cheers

Mick

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Here's a gender bender that works with the EFILive serial cable:
http://www.sfcable.com/cable/p/30D1-C1-S.html

Regards
Paul

Chalky
April 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM

The only thing I noticed was that I required a gender bender because the DB9 plug on the RS232 converter was male and so was the plug end on the EFIlive serial cable.

Look back through the threads and find the picture of the RJ12 plug and the phone jack, that will explain the RJ12 end.

This was a pic I dug up on the RS232 Converter that I purchased, so it should give you a better idea on the DB9 end.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks. Blacky ended up saving me the trouble of building my own. He must be aware of my limitations.

JezzaB
April 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM
A gender bender wont work with the way they we modified the PLX.

That TTL converter board is a female but when you put the gender bender on to the V2 cable it wont work because the entire plug is the same wiring as the V2 cable. I havent tried a null modem cable yet coz i dont have laying around (but it should work). I just made a cable up exactly like Mick did.

RJ12 plug
flat cable
DB9 Male plug and used the shell that came with the TTL Converter.

I couldnt find any converter boards that had a male on them and if you soldered one you, you have to cut tracks and re-route them.

Jez

swingtan
April 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
For those that want to try replacing the female socket on the RS-232 converter with a male, this is what you should end up with....

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
For those that want to try replacing the female socket on the RS-232 converter with a male, this is what you should end up with....

What camera did you use for those shots - very nice!
Paul

SV8346
April 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Swingtan, by the looks of it you have joined 1-4-6. Does this mean that a null modem gender bender would no longer be required and the standard efi live serial cable could be plugged straight into the new male DB9 plug.

SV8346
April 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Paul

Sony Cybershot with 11mm focal length, no flash and 0.5 second exposure.

swingtan
April 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Paul

Sony Cybershot with 11mm focal length, no flash and 0.5 second exposure.

Yes, "It's A Sony". I used my rather old Sony DSC-F707 for these shots. While it's a late 2000 vintage camera, it still holds its own against many current models. I have a Canon 20D but at times, the Sony is actually a better camera. The shots were cropped and balanced in "The GIMP" (http://www.gimp.org) afterwards.

Additional images from the Sony are Here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/swingtan/sets/72157604057486050/)

Oh, and it looks like someone knows how to read the EXIF data from the JPEG image ;)

Swingtan, by the looks of it you have joined 1-4-6. Does this mean that a null modem gender bender would no longer be required and the standard efi live serial cable could be plugged straight into the new male DB9 plug.

Correct. The idea for this was to enable the adapter to allow the std. V2 serial cable to plug directly into the PLX. I wanted to do away with adapters to keep it clean and simple. The only problem with all this is that I then went and bought a TechEdge 2j1 (http://wbo2.com/2j/default.htm) which has the serial O/P built into the controller already.

Simon.

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Additional images from the Sony are Here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/swingtan/sets/72157604057486050/)

Looks like shots taken from Flinders Street Station. I'm getting homesick...
(On closer inspection I should say, shots taken of Flinders Street Station from Southbank...)
Paul

swingtan
April 24th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Looks like shots taken from Flinders Street Station. I'm getting homesick...
(On closer inspection I should say, shots taken of Flinders Street Station from Southbank...)
Paul

That's the spot. Here's a reminder for you.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42817517@N00/sets/72157604057486050/map?&fLat=-37.82&fLon=144.9633&zl=1&map_type=hyb

joecar
April 25th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Looks like shots taken from Flinders Street Station. I'm getting homesick...PaulI know the feeling, mate.

Chalky
April 26th, 2008, 02:43 AM

Cheers

Mick

Did you find that the EFILive DB9/RJ12 cable worked with the gender bender? I got the impression that you are using ntae's configuration with the EFILive cable and a gender bender.

Just trying to follow this thread. I ordered a Max232 board and want to modify my SM-AFR as well.

Wolfie
April 28th, 2008, 11:47 AM
You DO know that the one that ntae has uses the MAX3232 chip,
and NOT the MAX232 chip...
Damn... I was not looking and ordered the one with the MAX232 chip, and
forgot that it requires 5V as opposed to the 3.3 that the PLX has.

UNLESS the PLX also has provision for 5v out as well... I didn't look.
Wolfie

Chalky
April 28th, 2008, 11:55 AM
You DO know that the one that ntae has uses the MAX3232 chip,
and NOT the MAX232 chip...
Damn... I was not looking and ordered the one with the MAX232 chip, and
forgot that it requires 5V as opposed to the 3.3 that the PLX has.

UNLESS the PLX also has provision for 5v out as well... I didn't look.
Wolfie

Per the folks @ PLX. I am just following along trying to figure out how to make it work with SM-AFR.
http://www.forum.plxdevices.com/viewtopic.php?t=2176&highlight=serial

ScarabEpic22
April 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM
So Im looking to get a WBO2 now and dont really know a lot about PLX or Innovate, except that both are good WBO2s to buy. My question is what are the pros/cons to each and how hard is it to mod either to work with the serial interface on a V2? Im just going to get a WBO2, no guage or anything else as I will only be using it with my V2. Thanks guys!

Chalky
April 29th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Base on what I see and what little I know, I would lean toward the Innovative system vs PLX Devices. The PLX SM-AFR as an example, needs to to modified to add a DB9 to work with V2 while I believe the LM-1 is already setup with a serial port and would only need a cable. I understand the LC-1 will also work easily but I am not sure what is needed for the LC-1.

http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=64521&postcount=60
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=65517&postcount=10
http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial-level-converter/
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7726&highlight=serial
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7532&highlight=serial

Wolfie
May 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Welllp....
I finally received the CORRECT serial converter!
Mounted it from outside the rear case plate,
It took me awhile to figure out the +3.3v tap as the picture was
not clear to me. I was not sure just which place to tap it, but
with the help of my trusty dvm, I got it right.
I didn't have a null modem adapter, so I just cut the end off of
a db9 m/f cable and crimped on a RJ12.
Works nice!!!!!!

Chalky
May 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Welllp....
Works nice!!!!!!

Pics?

What serial converter did you end up with?

ScarabEpic22
May 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the WBO2 links, Ill probably end up with a LC-1 as I dont need a guage. :)

JezzaB
May 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Welllp....
Works nice!!!!!!

Well done mate. Once you go serial you cant go back to analog! :D

Jez

Wolfie
May 6th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Chalky,

it was this one...
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/ltCurve.gif

RS232 TTL Convertor Cable Kit (MAX3232) for AVR/PIC/GPS

found at...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160236357616&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=160234202290&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D4

vxleather
July 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Does the serial cable that comes with the V2 already have the board interanly in it???

Meaning I can fit a male plug of the back of a Pc to the plx box???

thunder550
July 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Why is it necessary to do this instead of just putting a stereo minijack Y splitter on the TX plug?

All I see are connections to +V, G, and Tx. All of those are carried by the standard serial cable.

Blacky
July 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I am not an electronics engineer, but this is what I've been told...

The PLX device does not provide an RS232 serial input and output compatible voltage level. The PLX exposes the internal, unbuffered, unprotected serial TX/RX pins from the CPU. Those TX/RX pins operate at 5V (maybe 3V - I' don't know I haven't looked).

Serial data that is RS232 compliant sends/transmits using 12V signals. You don't want to plug a 12V signal (i.e. a PC or FlashScan) into an unprotected device that expects only 5V (i.e. PLX).

You need to perform a voltage conversion (and possibly a voltage inversion as well) using a MAX232 chip or similar.

Regards
Paul

thunder550
July 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Ok, that explains the voltage chip on the RS232 connector, but not why it's necessary to open up the PLX box and solder new wires in there.

thunder550
July 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Ok here's what I found on the stereo minijack plug that carries the PLX serial data, for anyone that cares.

Tip carries +3.3v
Middle carries the serial data
Base is the ground.

**edit*** - this is incorrect

So what I'm thinking is that I can put a regular headphone jack Y splitter on there, use one to transmit to the gauge, and use the other to transmit to EFILive.

The EFILive one would have to go through the voltage regulator chip as listed above, from my understanding.

vxleather
July 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
okay SO.... If i had a little case.. which i do... and grabed my multi meter.. i could work out the 3 out pins of the RS232 and simply remove the actual plug part leaving the board assembly.. solder the three wires needed to each side of the board and connect the right plug for the v2 to the end.. this allowing a quick connect plug system... hhhhmmmmm... i like this i do... so no need to cut up the plx box.. etc etc..

thunder550
July 26th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Sounds like it should work.

Here's what I'm planning on doing. I'm using the Null modem adapter because I already have it...bought it to hook up my old LC-1 and it's easier just to reuse it.

I ordered the MAX3232 from ebay yesterday...hoping to have it by the end of the week so I can get this all hooked up and try it out.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc22/thunder550/MiscCrap/PLX.jpg

JezzaB
August 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
vxleather tried this the other day and it didnt work. He had to solder into the board in the end.

vxleather
August 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Yep the phone jack thing don't work.... As the tip of the pin which we think is the power outlet is actually the signal outlet.. and therefore there is no power to power the 3v board..

After i tried many different things... wore out my multi meter... I went back and looked at the first photo's in this thread. If you look at where the wires are soldered to the board, The signal actullay is taken form the top of the pin in the mini jack port..

Shupe
August 9th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Yep the phone jack thing don't work.... As the tip of the pin which we think is the power outlet is actually the signal outlet.. and therefore there is no power to power the 3v board..

After i tried many different things... wore out my multi meter... I went back and looked at the first photo's in this thread. If you look at where the wires are soldered to the board, The signal actullay is taken form the top of the pin in the mini jack port..

Is the 3.54v on the circuit board better (more stable, cleaner) than the 3.3 available on the analog plug top left pin? My thought is that if this power was acceptable to power with the modification of a mini jack plug would keep from making modifications to the module itself.

thunder550
August 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hmmm...I got my MAX3232 in the mail yesterday, planning on working on it tomorrow. Will post back with my findings. Thanks for the information above guys, I'll take that into consideration when I'm working on it.

thunder550
August 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
OK just a quick look at the PCB says that the tip of the minijack connector is Tx, base is ground. Doesn't look like the middle contact has anything connected. Might try to connect power to the middle contact.

vxleather
August 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Is the 3.54v on the circuit board better (more stable, cleaner) than the 3.3 available on the analog plug top left pin? My thought is that if this power was acceptable to power with the modification of a mini jack plug would keep from making modifications to the module itself.

There is no out put voltage to power the convertor board on the mini jack!!!

vxleather
August 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM
OK just a quick look at the PCB says that the tip of the minijack connector is Tx, base is ground. Doesn't look like the middle contact has anything connected. Might try to connect power to the middle contact.

The middle outlet does have milli volts running to it.... I was also tempted to apply power to it and use that to power the board.. I connected the plx up naked.. (removed the red casing) and measured the voltages at where the feamle plug is soldered to the board etc etc... the middle pin connector seems to have milli volts running to it.. I think this is what confused me to start with.. I could get 3.3 volts out of the tip (presumed this would power the convertor board) then could measure milli volts out of the middle connector (presumed this to be signal ) and the base was ground...

but for some reason it does not work that way..I am not shaw where the milli volts come from and what they are for.. I am no expert in this field.. Blind leading the blind a little

thunder550
August 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what that middle contact is used for but when I put 3.3v to it the gauge quit powering on. As soon as I removed the voltage from that contact the gauge started working fine again. Looks like my solution won't work :( I guess I'll just live with extra wires coming out of the case.

thunder550
August 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ok here's what I ended up with. Tested and working. The only real difference is that I pulled power from the posts on the back of the board instead of from the hole through the board like the OP did.

Wiring color is:

Black: +3.3v
Red: Tx
Silver w/ black heat shrink: Ground

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc22/thunder550/MiscCrap/IMG_2159.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc22/thunder550/MiscCrap/IMG_2161.jpg

CV8IIM6
October 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hi All,

I'm upgrading to V2 (should arrive next week) and would like to know if anyone thinks it's possible to convert my PLX M300 to serial for BBL?

Cheers.

JezzaB
October 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
My MKII version I whipped up yesterday. 100% plug and play using the EFILive serial cable:

http://www.splitpixel.com.au/PLX-RS232-3.jpg

Jez

JezzaB
October 15th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Hi All,

I'm upgrading to V2 (should arrive next week) and would like to know if anyone thinks it's possible to convert my PLX M300 to serial for BBL?

Cheers.

Havent really scoped one out but if you can daisy chain them like the old one (TX port etc) [pretty sure they do] it could be done easy enough.

Jez

CV8IIM6
October 15th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Havent really scoped one out but if you can daisy chain them like the old one (TX port etc) [pretty sure they do] it could be done easy enough.

Jez

You've done a great job with that MKII version, looks really good. Mine is the older black controller with the digital display on the front so i don't think it can be daisy chained.

I could take the box apart and post a picture of the circuit board if that would make it easier to confirm if it's possible or not. Otherwise i might have to upgrade to the SM-AFR & DM-5 combo then try to modify it as you have done.

macca_779
October 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM
My MKII version I whipped up yesterday. 100% plug and play using the EFILive serial cable:

http://www.splitpixel.com.au/PLX-RS232-3.jpg

Jez

Nice work Jez.. Any photos of the Guts.

joecar
October 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Jez, nice, looks way much neater...:cheers:

TAQuickness
October 15th, 2008, 10:54 AM
That looks great!

CV8IIM6
October 18th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hey Jez,

would you mind telling us where you found the RS232 TTL Convertor Cable Kit (MAX3232) with the male DB9 plug?

all i can find is this
http://cgi.ebay.com/RS232-TTL-Convertor-Cable-Kit-MAX3232-for-AVR-PIC-GPS_W0QQitemZ110299919935QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 10299919935&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

some more photos of how you wired it up inside the box would be great too.

:cheers:

swingtan
October 18th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Check post 20 of this thread......

http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=68742&postcount=20

Actually, I gave Jezza the unit used in those photos and he fitted it to the PLX controller.

Simon.

JezzaB
October 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Check post 20 of this thread......

http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=68742&postcount=20

Actually, I gave Jezza the unit used in those photos and he fitted it to the PLX controller.

Simon.

Actuallly I didnt end up using that one simon :p. I desoldered the female RS232 socket from the converter boards i had and made up 2 fly leads to it for the converter board, desoldered and moved the cap and the filter so the socket would fit and hot glued them down and then moved the converter board into the corner and hot glued that down.

Jez

vxleather
November 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Smart ars Jezz:grin:

JezzaB
November 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Nice work Jez.. Any photos of the Guts.

I could of used some heat shrink tubing etc etc and gone all out but I used some hot glue to support everything and make it a bit more durable for being bashed around in the car etc. And its Sunday and there is beer to be drunk :cheers:

http://www.splitpixel.com.au/plx-1.jpg
http://www.splitpixel.com.au/plx-2.jpg
http://www.splitpixel.com.au/plx-3.jpg

Jez

SS2win
December 20th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Are the two components on the secondary card factory or did you add them?

mr.prick
December 20th, 2008, 04:51 AM
have you notified the manufacturer of this?
they should know that some people would like this option
without having to do the mod themselves.

JezzaB
December 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Are the two components on the secondary card factory or did you add them?

they are factory, I just moved them back by adding leads to them so I could make room to fit the DB9 plug in.

When I first did it I posted on the PLX forum and they laughed. Oh well ;)

Jez

CV8IIM6
January 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I finally got around to having a go at it myself.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq213/CV8IIM6/P1040230.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq213/CV8IIM6/P1040237.jpg

Very happy with the way it turned out but when i tested it in pass through mode (not even going to attempt BBL at this stage) i noticed some AFR spikes down to AFR 10 and up to 17.5.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq213/CV8IIM6/afrspike.jpg

I found a thread on a similar problem during BBL but not sure if anyone really got to the bottom of it. I'll check all my connections and try to get another log this week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

joecar
January 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM
CV8MII6, good job...:cheers:

JezzaB
January 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Top job mate! Looks great and once youve gone serial you will never go back!

Well done

Jez

vxleather
January 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I finally got around to having a go at it myself.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq213/CV8IIM6/P1040230.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq213/CV8IIM6/P1040237.jpg

Very happy with the way it turned out but when i tested it in pass through mode (not even going to attempt BBL at this stage) i noticed some AFR spikes down to AFR 10 and up to 17.5.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq213/CV8IIM6/afrspike.jpg

I found a thread on a similar problem during BBL but not sure if anyone really got to the bottom of it. I'll check all my connections and try to get another log this week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Make sure you are using the latest upgrades... some of the pre versions had a issue with the time it takes to read... eg 40msec to 10ms...

CV8IIM6
January 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I've had a bit more time to look properly at the log with the voltage spikes in it and to play around with my DM-100.

Firstly in the log i can see regular spikes (21 in a 12 minute log) to AFR's of 12.5 17.5 and 10 which just isn't plausible.

I decided to set up the DM-100 to display a warning when ever measured AFR is less than 10.1 I then went driving with the V2 not even connected. It was disappointing to see the warning displayed on a reasonably regular basis confirming an issue with the PLX SM-AFR not the V2 or software.

So I'm wondering if i have a poor earth, if the unit was faulty, if my modifications have damaged a component, if my converter chip is faulty etc.etc.

I'll run a new earth, check my connections inside the unit and have a look at the analog output to start with.

expensive experiment at this stage. :doh2:

Shupe
January 12th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I've had a bit more time to look properly at the log with the voltage spikes in it and to play around with my DM-100.

Firstly in the log i can see regular spikes (21 in a 12 minute log) to AFR's of 12.5 17.5 and 10 which just isn't plausible.

I decided to set up the DM-100 to display a warning when ever measured AFR is less than 10.1 I then went driving with the V2 not even connected. It was disappointing to see the warning displayed on a reasonably regular basis confirming an issue with the PLX SM-AFR not the V2 or software.

So I'm wondering if i have a poor earth, if the unit was faulty, if my modifications have damaged a component, if my converter chip is faulty etc.etc.

I'll run a new earth, check my connections inside the unit and have a look at the analog output to start with.

expensive experiment at this stage. :doh2:

I too have noticed these spikes on my modified SM-AFR. I remember the DM5 gauge also has these spikes. Betting the spikes on the display correlate with the spikes on the serial output.

CV8IIM6
February 5th, 2009, 12:38 AM
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq213/CV8IIM6/AFR125_175_10.jpg

Has anyone else noticed strange variations with their SM-AFR?

I'm far from having this issue resolved and considering buying another unit, but i have little faith in the product as it's been suggested that this may be a processing issue in all SM-AFR's.

I have had no help from "PLX Support" who despite being told that:

1. I removed the chip and returned the SM-AFR to it's original condition (ie. no MAX 3232 chip and no V2 connected).
2. Powered the unit from a completely independent power supply with nothing else connected to it (ie known good/clean power and earth, no interference).
3. Tested the unit with the engine and ignition completely OFF (ie. no interference).
4. Logged the analog output and found that while it doesn't display the spikes, it is on average 0.2 AFR leaner than the DM-100 gauge.
5. Still notice frequent, random AFR spikes to 10, 12.5 or 17.5 on the DM-100 gauge.

PLX Support Replied by saying "The digital spikes you're seeing may be coming from a poor power supply source or ignition noise" :bad:

I thought i had done a pretty good job of ruling those things out and was expecting the PLX electronics engineers to suggest replacing a particular capacitor or filter on the circuit board perhaps?

Anyway, enough of my red wine induced rant. if someone can assure me it IS possible to get accurate results from a modified SM-AFR i'll buy another one and keep trying. if many others have similar problems i'll look at other options.

:cheers:

JezzaB
February 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I never experienced any of those problems with my SM-AFR when analog or digital but I just dont like I had to mod the crap out of it to get RS232 etc..

But I like my TechEdge 2J1 (www.wbo2.com) better. Ive tested it against quite a few very expensive Autronics etc and its always been within .1 AFR and I only have to use a gender bender on it. RS232 stardard and an Aussie company. For a low cost unit its very good.

Jez

ntae
February 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM
If you want i can send you my spare SM AFR for you to test your set up

Tre-Cool
February 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I just ordered myself 8 max3232 boards from the US (http://www.nkcelectronics.com/) last night and allready have 10 gender benders from my local computer shop.

Paid $10us for the rs232 boards and $3.50 for the male to male gender benders. this way i can plug the efilive cable straight in.

i have my 2 plx's to mod and more than likely a couple of mates as well.

question: what did you guys use to cut through the alloy for the rs232 plug?

JezzaB
February 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I just ordered myself 8 max3232 boards from the US (http://www.nkcelectronics.com/) last night and allready have 10 gender benders from my local computer shop.

Paid $10us for the rs232 boards and $3.50 for the male to male gender benders. this way i can plug the efilive cable straight in.

i have my 2 plx's to mod and more than likely a couple of mates as well.

I scored. Then use a small drill bit and then filed it to size. Dremel would have done the trick but im out of bits.

Jez

CV8IIM6
February 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM
If you want i can send you my spare SM AFR for you to test your set up

Mate, that would be fantastic. I'll send you a PM.

I drilled about a 7mm hole and then used a small triangular file.

aaronr
February 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
What size wire did you guys use? Can make the wires a least 2' long or is there a distend requirement?

nonnieselman
June 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
whats the leatest on this guys?

i just bought a PLX and would like to do this so i can start tuning my new cam/turbo/meth setup..

SS2win
July 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
This thread is the latest.

I did the mod today and it was a breeze. Relocated the two components to make room and mounted the db9/max232 adapter to the back panel. used the cable that shipped with V2, cut the DB9 end off and replaced it with a male gender Db9. wired it so there's no need for a null modem (connected red to 2, black to 3 and white to 5) then configured v2 so it sees the WBO2 on the RJ12 jack. it worked the first try and couldn't have been easier! well, until they ship a TTL converter in the PLX. lol

Tre-Cool
January 24th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Hey Guys, thought i would post up a pic of the guts of the M300 Tuner edition.

It's basically a normal PLX with an extra card for the display and fuel selection switch, funnily enough it only uses Power,Ground & the TX feed the same as the rs232 to ttl.

So use the pictures to enable serial output with your rs232 to ttl converters.

http://www.vyssute.com/downloads/PLX-M300%20001.jpg
http://www.vyssute.com/downloads/PLX-M300%20002.jpg

nonnieselman
January 26th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Can somebody give a parts list of whats needed and where to get it. Ive never done anything like this so im kinda leary of ordering something that i dont know about..

Thanks guys..
Jonathan

Tre-Cool
January 26th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Well i ordered the rs232 board from here. http://www.nkcelectronics.com/rs232-to-ttl-converter-board-33v232335.html

then use a gender bender and cut my efilive cable to modify the pins. But if you used a null-modem adapter you wouldnt need to cut the cable.

then i use the old Analog cable that used to plug into computer cd-rom drives (it's a 4 pin adapter) and then use that on to my board.

SUPERTRUCKER
June 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Can someone give me a part list of what I need to do this and what the parts look like so I order the correct parts. Thanks Thomas

Tre-Cool
June 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM
save your time and money and go buy another wideband.

If got issues with all 4 of my plx's being out for afr.

TommyGloves
September 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I'm not an EFILive user (I use HPT and DHP Powrtuner for GM 3800s) but I found this thread useful so I thought I'd share. I have 2 PLX SM-AFR units modded the same way and they work great. I recently (9/9/10) purchased a M-300TE and it has a new version of the display board v1.1. Makes hookup even easier.

Pre-mod
http://www.tommygloves.com/Tuning/PLXM-300TE/PLXM-300TEv1.1.JPG

Post-mod
http://www.tommygloves.com/Tuning/PLXM-300TE/PLXM-300TESerialOutput.JPG

http://www.tommygloves.com/Tuning/PLXM-300TE/PLXM-300TEModded.JPG

joecar
September 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
TG, thanks for sharing :cheers:

isak81
January 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I did this to mine recently and its not working right.
I have the generation 2.
Does the positive for the board have to be 3.3V or 5?
When I log it and turn the wideband on it reads correctly for a few seconds then freezes or drops to 10AFR.
My gauge keeps reading correctly. When I test it with my DVM on the board it will read near 2.35 volts for a bit then drop to almost nothing.

turbo
June 11th, 2012, 01:22 AM
i have a newer plx with only 1 PCB does anyone have pics of where to solder the wires onto it

ne0c0de
July 7th, 2015, 03:34 PM
This thread is a bit old but I am happy to find all the information for the PLX Serial Mod.

For any one who wants to connect a RS3232 TTL Male connector. This is what i found works.
MAX RS3232 TTL MALE (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200983912175?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). It still uses 3.3-5 Volts so power supply can be taken just as in this thread.

I connected it on to my M-300 PLX which is much easier to solder wires and connected directly to the wire that came with EFI Live.

Very Simple. Hope to do some testing with it from tomorrow. I was using Innvoate LM-1 but it gave up on me after 9+ Years of service and i liked it more than the LM-2.

So i had the PLX laying around and saw this thread and thought to try it out. Everything works just perfect !!! Thanks to all of you and the information provided.

I took the test picture at night. Hope it helps.

joecar
July 18th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Jayrcr3
February 29th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Is this still a necessary mod? Why cant we plug into the Serial TX port like on the LC-1?

joecar
February 29th, 2016, 03:15 PM
I think they now have a serial port... let me research this.

Jayrcr3
February 29th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks Joe. My LC-1 decided to quit, and I replaced it with the PLX. I'm afraid I should have done a little more research.

JezzaB
March 1st, 2016, 11:30 AM
Wow this thread is a flashback!
Looking at the new SM-AFR and M-300 they still run the old TTL level serial chaining so would need a TTL to Serial converter still to push the output levels up to 12v RS232

Jayrcr3
March 3rd, 2016, 02:48 PM
I ordered one. Thanks for the confirmation.

Tre-Cool
March 3rd, 2016, 07:39 PM
I ordered one. Thanks for the confirmation.

I honestly wouldn't go back to a plx device, there are much better/smaller units available on the market now that offer a direct serial comms wire..

joecar
March 4th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I ordered one. Thanks for the confirmation.PLX's website indicates that the SM-AFR has digital output...

let me know what you see when you get it.

If it does not have an external serial comms port, then I do apologize, it looks to me like it does.

joecar
March 4th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Look at callout # 5 under Technical Specs:

Wideband-O2-Air-Fuel-Ratio-Sensor-Module-p/897346002726 (http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-Air-Fuel-Ratio-Sensor-Module-p/897346002726.htm)

Jayrcr3
March 6th, 2016, 05:23 PM
It does have serial output, but it's not compatible with EFI Live.

I tried to get it to work, but couldn't get it operational with the serial port. Analog works fine. I ordered the RS-232 TTL converter. It was only $4 bucks, and if I can't get it working that way, I'll just use the analog inputs.

FYI this is the latest version of the PLX SM-AFR, GEN 4.

joecar
March 7th, 2016, 09:23 AM

I tried to get it to work, but couldn't get it operational with the serial port. Analog works fine. I ordered the RS-232 TTL converter. It was only $4 bucks, and if I can't get it working that way, I'll just use the analog inputs.

...Hmmm, that is a bummer...

do you have any output captured from the serial port (e.g. in a HyperTerm or PuTTY window after playing with speed/parity/stopbits)...?

joecar
March 7th, 2016, 09:24 AM
And I do apologize, for some reason I had understood it to be compatible at the serial port socket.

Jayrcr3
March 10th, 2016, 05:17 PM
No biggie Joe. I have everything working fine with the analog inputs.

rich24v
May 24th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I fitted twin PLX SM-AFR Gen4, Bosch LSU 4.2 sensors with twin gauges a couple of months ago (with help !), currently use the 0-5v analog output to feed into a HPtuners MPVI
data logger...seems to work fine. I was hoping to use same way to connect to my Flashcan V2 when I eventually migrate to a EFILive tune. Have to say with my limited experience
the response times look very fast.
Stumbled accross this thread........are the analog signals really that bad ??

joecar
May 24th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Not typically... we just like to use serial comms wherever it is supported (for various reasons).

Tre-Cool
May 24th, 2016, 03:30 PM
i've got one in a drag car. it reads 1 afr leaner through the analog over the serial/guage display.

it came with the car when we purchased it, but wont be in it very soon.

rich24v
May 31st, 2016, 09:50 AM
Please can somebody point me towards the guide for setting up the analog 5v pids for plx wb's, specifically how to program the V2 aswell ?

Thankyou.

joecar
May 31st, 2016, 07:21 PM
Please can somebody point me towards the guide for setting up the analog 5v pids for plx wb's, specifically how to program the V2 aswell ?

Thankyou.
Connect 1st PLX to AD1+ signal and AD1- ground.
Connect 2nd PLX to AD2+ signal and AD2- ground.
Log the pids EXT.AD1 and EXT.AD2.
Select the calc pids CALC.AFR_PLX1/2 and CALC.BEN_PLX1/2.

In FVS2 device settings, checkmark the box to always include External Analog Pids.

rich24v
June 1st, 2016, 09:01 AM
Connect 1st PLX to AD1+ signal and AD1- ground.
Connect 2nd PLX to AD2+ signal and AD2- ground.
Log the pids EXT.AD1 and EXT.AD2.
Select the calc pids CALC.AFR_PLX1/2 and CALC.BEN_PLX1/2.

In FVS2 device settings, checkmark the box to always include External Analog Pids.

Thanks Joe, think it worked out ok, although more fumbling than knowing what I'm doing :redface:

I had to remove some odd pids that it did'nt like, maybe that's because I still have the HPtuners 2bar custom tune loaded,
but at least I am slightly further forward. I can't see the BEN pids...are they to convert the voltage to the AFR ?
I have boost via plx and fuel pressure via aeroforce 150psi sensor to set up next.

joecar
June 1st, 2016, 12:46 PM
I can't see the BEN pids...are they to convert the voltage to the AFR ?
I have boost via plx and fuel pressure via aeroforce 150psi sensor to set up next.
On the PIDs tab, look at the right-hand column, it is titled "Parameter", click on the title (the word "Parameter") to sort alphabetically on that column...

then look down that column until you see the pids CALC.BEN_PLX1 and CALC.BEN_PLX2...

the BEN pids are the correction multiplier, to see their definition do rightclick->More Info on each of them (on the PIDs tab).

Summary: the AFR pids convert voltage to AFR; the BEN pids calculate the correction multiplier (to apply to your VE or MAF tables).

rich24v
June 4th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Do I have to add these pids to the list ? if so I get error :-

If I add anyway, it lists it with the red cross through it:-

A bit lost..........

joecar
June 4th, 2016, 01:09 PM
I don't remember from your other thread... do you have an LS1B or an E38...?

Whenever you see a red X thru a pid on the PIDs tab, on that pid do rightclick->More Info to see why.

rich24v
June 5th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I don't remember from your other thread... do you have an LS1B or an E38...?

Whenever you see a red X thru a pid on the PIDs tab, on that pid do rightclick->More Info to see why.

I'll switch to my original thread https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?26679-Migrate-from-HP-tuners-to-EFI-Live-HSV-VE-6-2L-Heartbeat-sc I don't want to clutter this one further.

Progrip
May 25th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Hello . Doez anybody can help me with dump of the pic microcontroller inside or some schematics for plx v3 ? Thank you verry much . Also closer picture with all components it will be helpful thank you .