PDA

View Full Version : LMG DOD in 68 chev.

tk-mpl
April 6th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Hi there, I don't know if this is going to be in the right spot, if not sorry. I am going to put a LMG DOD engine in my 68 chev short box. I am wanting to do the tuning myself. Mostly for cost and there isn't anybody around here to do it. I also want to learn about tuning. I have here of efi live from the diesel forums and when I came here found out it does alot more. My biggest question is where do I start. Once I get it into the truck I have to delete the emmisions, security, post o2 sensors. Other then that what do I need to do... Does anybody have a performance tune for the LMG?? Can a guy put a cam in this engine to get more power or is it better not to because of the active fuel management...

I think I have mostly everything kind of figured out for the most part, just need help on the tuning. I am wanting to get the most power I can get, but would like to keep the DOD operational.

tk-mpl
April 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
nobody has any suggestions.
Did I ask a stupid queston....

joecar
April 7th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Hi tk-mpl, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

Everybody's getting over the weekend... :D

Sounds like a fun project!! :cheers:

What truck year/model is the LMG from...?
You would first check to see if that is supported: http://store.efilive.com/supvehicle.aspx

You might want to get a wideband O2 sensor so you can measure the actual fueling...

This would then lead you to the AutoVE procedure which dials in the VE table;
If you decide to run the MAF, then you would do a similar procedure to dial in the MAF table;
but before either of those, you may want to calculate your IFR table to see if it's already close.

To read about the AutoVe procedure, see here: http://store.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads7

The first thing you do once it is transplanted: take numerous logs to see how it runs, take note of any DTC's and repair each fault (which may be a simple matter of deleting codes for deleted equipment).

What ECM are you using (does it come with the motor)...?
What transmission are you be using (does it come with)...?

Cheers,
Joe
:cheers:

tk-mpl
April 7th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Thanx for your help...
The motor comes with everything, but the MAF sensor. I believe that it is a
E38 ecm. It has a 4l60E trans.

GMPX
April 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
My biggest question is where do I start. Once I get it into the truck I have to delete the emmisions, security, post o2 sensors. Other then that what do I need to do...

Not sure on the mechanical answers, but, you will need to turn off the Theft system (can be done), post O2's, if you aren't running them then they can also be disabled. You also don't even need to run MAF sensor if you don't want to (helps simplify the intake system).
On the tuning side of it, for doing the conversion you should be fine, especially if you leave the engine internals stock.

Cheers,
Ross

tk-mpl
April 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Thanx for your help Ross. I swap and the mechanical I think I have figure out, but have no clue with the tuning. Even still I would like to do myself.

So once I get it in and wired do you think it will start with alot of the stuff missing. Can I load a stock tune from Holden crazy and modify that and load the modified tune before I start it with the security disabled..

Wasted Income
April 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I've got an LM7 in a '69 C-10. It was so easy to do, I was almost disappointed that it wasn't more of a challenge. I can't imagine that a DOD 5.3 would be that much more difficult.

ScarabEpic22
April 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
If the internals are stock, then the tuning aspect will be very easy. It will probably take you more time to read and reflash the tune then the actual changing part. Remove VATS, delete the O2s and EVAP stuff then reflash and you should be up and running. Now since you've invested in EFILive, once you get it running you will be able to tune it for power/economy instead of using the stock GM tune. :D

joecar
April 8th, 2008, 02:03 AM
The stock calibration is factory "optimized" for emissions... that is a good reason why you may want to tune it yourself (besides deleting various codes).

tk-mpl
April 8th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I would like to put a cam in it to get some power out of it. I could run the stock tune for econo. and have a performance tune to take advantage of the cam, or will I even have to tune for the cam. Does anybody have a good performance tune for the LMG...

ScarabEpic22
April 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
If you cam it, you will almost have to tune it properly otherwise you will get codes and crap for mileage. That said, you can still have a performance and economy tune for it, even cammed.

tk-mpl
April 8th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I was wondering if you could use a DSP-2 switch and have the econo and performance tunes in there. Is there enough memory to run a DSP switch or will I have to retune it all the time.

Also, any suggestions on a cam???

ScarabEpic22
April 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Have to retune, or just setup the low and high octane tables differently. No way to use a switchable tune on a gasser, DSPx's are only for the Duramaxes.

tk-mpl
April 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Got a long ways to go, but though I would start asking questions now..

ssvolvo
April 19th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have installed an LH6 in my Volvo. Also it runs D.O.D. I think you (WE!) are going to find camming this engine will be a challenge. Anyone I've talked to that actually HAS cammed this engine has broken a lifter or two. The redline on these motors should not exceed 6K. Most people are replacing the cam followers with non DOD units; therefore disabling the displacement on demand feature.
This is a GREAT forum to use/learn EFIlive software features. For me the learning curve has been slow but rewarding.
For those "mechanical" questions on your swap you might check out www.ls1tech.com because chances are someone has done this swap before.

Keep on keepin on bro:welcome: John

tk-mpl
April 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Thanx for your input. I have spent alot of time on ls1tech. Would a guy benifit from just an tune. I do want to dod to be functional so I may not put a can in, but want alittle more then stock. Thanx again and any other input would help.
Trevor

ssvolvo
April 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
My LH6 uses a GTO LS2 intake manifold/injectors only through long tubes and free flowing 3 inch Magna-flow exhaust. I did nothing to injector flow base tables. Fuel mixture is 25% lean both banks, go figure.
When in DOD mode the motor vibrates and runs like crap. Possibly due to the lighter weight of the vehicle 3200#s, you really feel every firing of the engine. Really needs refining/retuning to be acceptable for me. Have spent MANY hours on wiring/fabricating thinking this would be an all around economical alternative to my older small-block equipped Volvo that only made 21 miles per gallon.
The one NICE thing about it is the power. At 40 miles per hour you can step on the gas and just start burning both tires. Looking in the rear view at 2 black marks following the vehicle (205 tires).
I'll spend this whole summer tuning it and if not to my expectation the whole DOD thing will leave office like president Bush!

I'll stick with it for now, John:unsure:

tk-mpl
April 22nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
Please keep me informed of your findings. May be a stupid question (newbie) but when the DOD criteria is met can you copy and paste the original tune in to that preimeter...

GMPX
April 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
The one NICE thing about it is the power. At 40 miles per hour you can step on the gas and just start burning both tires. Looking in the rear view at 2 black marks following the vehicle (205 tires).

And when people see your Volvo do that the reaction could only be.......:wtf1:

tk-mpl
April 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I would be interested in seeing any pics that you have of the car and engine. Do you have anykind of build thread..

ssvolvo
May 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'll post a video on youtube soon!