PDA

View Full Version : Looking to pick up the RoadRunner

Whippled 496
April 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Can someone shoot me a PM or respond with the best deal on picking one up. I have a few extra licenses (assuming they will work with the RoadRUnner) so all i need is the Roadrunner itself.

TAQuickness
April 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
You can give Jess (wait4me) a call.

You will need a RR license (different than a PCM license) in order to utilize the RR.

mr.prick
April 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM
http://www.greenlightmotorsports.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=8&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Whippled 496
April 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
You can give Jess (wait4me) a call.

You will need a RR license (different than a PCM license) in order to utilize the RR.

Ahhh crap...are you serious? I got like 3 extra licenses that i will never use. Wish i could trade 2 EFI licenses for 1 RR license. I had it justified in my head for $600 or so, but i dont know about $750+ :doh2: . Whats the difference between the licenses?

ChipsByAl
April 7th, 2008, 01:47 PM
The licenses for the RoadRunner go in the EFIlive Program with your EFIlive registration in the License Manager. They have an issue date and a specific RoadRunner serial number.
Al

Whippled 496
April 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
The licenses for the RoadRunner go in the EFIlive Program with your EFIlive registration in the License Manager. They have an issue date and a specific RoadRunner serial number.
Al

Okay i see that now ....just seems like buying the hardware should be enough when your talking about $500-$600 (before the extra license) you know what i mean? I just dont understand the need for another specific license. I have a license for my PCM, I have a license for my TCM, now i need another one for the RR.....and its all for the same vehicle. Sorry for the :rant:, i was just set and ready to make the purchase thinking one of my extra licenses would be good to use......:frown: Oh well.

ScarabEpic22
April 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I think its because EFILive and Moates have an agreement that in order for the RR to work with EFILive you need to pay Moates (aka license) for that ability. The RR works with other tuning packages too IIRC.

kbracing96
April 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I think its because EFILive and Moates have an agreement that in order for the RR to work with EFILive you need to pay Moates (aka license) for that ability. The RR works with other tuning packages too IIRC.

Not quite. The only way EFILive makes any money for supporting RR is to sell separate license for it. EFILive does not sell the RR hardware, It's built and sold buy Craig Moates. EFILive just provides a software interface to use the RR. RR also work's with the Tuner C.A.T.S. software, but again you have to buy the cable and license from them to use it too.

ScarabEpic22
April 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ahh, my bad. Got the "who's getting the $$ for implementing the hardware" wrong, its EFILive not Moates.

TAQuickness
April 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Ahhh crap...are you serious? I got like 3 extra licenses that i will never use. Wish i could trade 2 EFI licenses for 1 RR license. I had it justified in my head for $600 or so, but i dont know about $750+ :doh2: . Whats the difference between the licenses?

It's worth every cent!

Whippled 496
April 7th, 2008, 10:10 PM
It's worth every cent!

......your probably right....i just had a set amount in my head and now it went up a few $$$. I will just have to work the street corner a few extra weeks I guess.

TAQuickness
April 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM
i had to do the same thing. :)

GMPX
April 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
The RR works with other tuning packages too IIRC.
Well, all but one :moon1:
FYI, I have a RR here that was used in development, it's considered the 'loaner'. This thing would have lots of frequent flyer miles, it's never here. Everyone I loaned it to has bought one....you can't go back to old traditional tuning methods after you used it.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
April 8th, 2008, 07:34 PM
If I ever get an LS1/LB7-based car/truck I will order a RR before I pick it up, everything Ive heard says its so much easier to tune with.

And I think I have an idea about "the one" that it doesnt work with, but their loss IMO.

Whippled 496
April 8th, 2008, 10:41 PM
FINE.....!!!!!!

I went a head and picked one up from Thunder Racing.......i couldnt wait any more......you guys are good salesmen. Should be here by Friday afternoon....i will post my feedback after i have give her a few runs. Any first timer advice, hints, or suggestions.....please send them my way. How long is the cable they come with....long enough to run back into the console in the cab? Can i use a USB extension if i need too?

MICK
April 8th, 2008, 11:12 PM
The cable that came with my kit was long enough, found there was an extension cable in there to that I did not need.

Blue-tooth sounds like fun for a wireless option.

Steady, Steady now, when you drive around in emulation mode, with it all up and running, there is power at your finger tips. You also have the means to cause yourself harm. Be careful and have fun.

Practice setting up the Roadrunner at idle in the driveway for a while.

Research the tuning methods (RTACS), more practice and understanding setting up the software. Learn how to drive them new toys.

When you are comfortable, turn on the emulation mode and hit the streets or dyne.

Once again, Have fun, be safe...:)

Whippled 496
April 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM
The cable that came with my kit was long enough, found there was an extension cable in there to that I did not need.

Blue-tooth sounds like fun for a wireless option.

Steady, Steady now, when you drive around in emulation mode, with it all up and running, there is power at your finger tips. You also have the means to cause yourself harm. Be careful and have fun.

Practice setting up the Roadrunner at idle in the driveway for a while.

Research the tuning methods (RTACS), more practice and understanding setting up the software. Learn how to drive them new toys.

When you are comfortable, turn on the emulation mode and hit the streets or dyne.

Once again, Have fun, be safe...:)

Not completely green to tuning...so I should be fine, but sound advice non the less. WHich leads me to another question......

Are there any decent RR tutorials on how to get set up, how to set up RTACS, how to operate in emulation mode, etc?

MICK
April 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Well, all but one :moon1:
FYI, I have a RR here that was used in development, it's considered the 'loaner'. This thing would have lots of frequent flyer miles, it's never here. Everyone I loaned it to has bought one....you can't go back to old traditional tuning methods after you used it.

Cheers,
Ross

I have used Craig's Ostrich OBD1 Emulator for some time now and find it to be just as good on the early Holden's as the Roadrunner is on the later LSx.

O, I earn for the day EFILive incorporates OBD1 into V2 and maybe you could include support for Craig's new Ostrich that has a few more toys.

Only then will my entire existence be complete.....:hihi:

TAQuickness
April 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM
FINE.....!!!!!!

I went a head and picked one up from Thunder Racing.......i couldnt wait any more......you guys are good salesmen. Should be here by Friday afternoon....i will post my feedback after i have give her a few runs. Any first timer advice, hints, or suggestions.....please send them my way. How long is the cable they come with....long enough to run back into the console in the cab? Can i use a USB extension if i need too?

Keep your eyes on the road
Keep both hands on the wheel
Wear a condom

Best advice, as already stated, get familiar with the RR in your driveway at idle first. Also, keep a known good back up tune handy just in case...

I was using RTACS once with out a DFCO filter in place and ruined my idle. Flashed my back up tune and 2 seconds later I was idling again.

Whippled 496
April 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Are there any actual tutorials of the steps to go through to set up RTACS? I am kind of sitting there looking at all the controls not knowing how to get it set up to start making changes. I simple RTACS VE tutorial would be a nice warm up. I enable the "real time changes" icon on the RR menu. Then select the "fine control/course control" button and let it do its thing. Is that all there is to it?

TAQuickness
April 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM
It's about that simple. You will need to establish some filters to prevent extreme transients from skewing your tune (i.e. DFCO, a failed WB, etc...).

As for a tutorial, I'm not aware of one. Sounds like a great opportunity for someone to write one. If it's still non existant when I get the TT spooling, I'll write one - but that could be a few years from now.

hquick
April 13th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Look for posts from me asking the same questions.
I have Micks RR at present (had it for a few months now....I WILL buy one...Ross is right).
Make sure you don't lean over and change maps half way through doing something....watch out for bumps in the road when your fingers are hovering over the keyboard. :eek: