PDA

View Full Version : Can't Connect to Flashscan V2

Chalky
April 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Running Vista. I had 7.4 and 7.53 loaded but experienced issues with uploading corrupted tun files so I removed 7.4 and 7.53 and went for a clean install.

V2 is not in dead pole but I cannot establish a connection to update firmware.

Appreciate any help. After three lost hours, I am a bit frustrated.

joecar
April 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Chalky,

Is the USB driver running...?

http://www.fishtuning.com/downloads/I_just_installed_EFILive_and_I_cant.pdf

I pm'd tech support.

Chalky
April 9th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Joe:

Program doesn't ask for the USB driver or identify a new piece of hardware.

joecar
April 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
When you plug V2 into your PC via the USB cable, goto:

Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Universal Serial Bus Controllers

and you should see "EFILive FlashScan V2".

Blacky
April 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
How to uninstall the USB drivers if Vista fails to install them correctly.

1. Disconnect FlashScan.
2. Run the FTClean program (that removes the driver files from the hard drive).
3. Reconnect FlashScan
4. Right click on Computer in the Windows Start menu, select Properties.
5. Click on the Device manager link at the top left of the window.
6. Locate the FlashScan device - it may be under "Other Devices" or "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
7. Right click and select uninstall (that tells Vista it needs to be re-installed next time it is plugged in).
8. Disconnect FlashScan
9. Close down the Device Manager window
10. Close the Control Panel->System window.
11. Reconnect FlashScan - Vista should restart the driver install wizard from scratch.

I recommend against letting the driver wizard "search for the best driver". Instead tell the wizard you have no CD and that you will locate the driver files yourself. Then browse to the folder: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Drivers\FlashScan\Win-2K-XP-Vista and use the drivers from there.

Regards
Paul

Chalky
April 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
That was it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

9secz
April 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I'm having similar trouble with my brand new EFILive setup. Here's the 411:

- I have the latest software, firmware, and drivers downloaded from this web site today.
- V2 connects to the LS3 PCM fine - I turned off 4 DTCs.
- WinXPPro device manager is happy with the V2 USB driver.
- V2 displays USB Mode when connected to the laptop.

http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/USB-OK.gif

But...

When I try to read my PCM, I get this bunch of error messages:

http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/NoCommPopup.gif

http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/CommScreen.gif

Those of you have felt you were minutes away from dialing in a car, only to be thwarted by something that's probably simple but you can't figure out, know how maddening it is! :help2:

Edit: I tried turning off Use high speed. Didn't help.

Jeff

joecar
April 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Jeff, I pm'd Tech Support, it may take a day or 2 since he is on a trip.

Are you using EFILive software version 7.5.3 or 7.5.4...?

If you have 7.5.4, is EFILive Explorer running...? If so, shut it down.

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Are you 100% sure no other application is using (or connected to) the FlashScan device?
If the Scan Tool software is running, please disconnect it from FlashScan.
If any of the new version 8 beta software is running (9.e. EFILive_Hapi.exe), please make sure you exit from that software.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I am 100% sure no other app of any kind was running. I keep my tuning laptop *very* lean! Here is the latest:

1) I updated V2 to build 71 firmware from the 7.5.4 beta zip. Before continuing to install beta software, I tried reading the PCM using the .71 firmware. It seemed to work. It made a complete connection from laptop through V2 to PCM and began transferring the PCM file. I had made sure no other apps were running on the laptop, and no accessories were running on the car.

About 3/4 of the way through the transfer, everything hung. I waited about 5 (long!) minutes, but there were no more screen updates. I couldn't even cancel out of the transfer. I disconnected the car from V2 and tried to get a response from the transfer software. Nothing. So I disconnected V2 from the laptop and went inside to finish the beta update. Fortunately it was just a PCM read, so the car is fine (whew!).

2) Back inside, I powered up V2 and selected update boot block from the .71 menu. I clicked through all the "are you sure?" "really, really sure?" warnings. After the last warning was clicked yes, the screen went blank and the orange LEDs began their alternating flash dance. And that's all the V2 ever did from that point on. No license update screen. No nothing. The EFILive firmware update utility claimed V2 was not in dead poll mode despite the alternating LEDs. I tried powering up both with, and without holding down the control key. It's dead.

And I'm done. I've asked Ira for an RMA to return the product. Remember Ira, you promised that doing the beta boot block update would not mean that you wouldn't accept the product for a return!

Jeff

ScarabEpic22
April 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Um, now you need to use the new EFILive Explorer to flash the beta firmware into the V2. You have a V2 with just a bootblock, no firmware so it cant run. Load up EFILive Explorer from the Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\EFILive_Explorer.exe and select the firmware tab. Then browse to the same folder and select the file FSProgV2_05_16(0414).efw and flash this. Then your V2 should work.

9secz
April 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Please check the thread I started on my LS3 problem. It turns out Readme_First.pdf has a small but serious error in the sequence that had me convinced that my V2 was toast.

link to other thread (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=68316&posted=1#post68316)

By ignoring the readme sequence and forging ahead with the V2 update, I've successfully read my '08 LS3 PCM. I'll be a happy camper after the first successful PCM reflash.

As I wrote in the other thread, I didn't want to be a beta tester, I'm just a n00b who only knows how to carefully follow the instructions. Someone more seasoned may have the knowledge to work around instruction errors. I don't.

Jeff

joecar
April 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Jeff,

I saw your second post first, so I just retracted my question because you did read it.

Don't worry, there's always someone here who can help... :cheer:

Cheers,
Joe
:cheers: