PDA

View Full Version : Little Help with VIN reset after RR install

Whippled 496
April 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I got the RoadRunner installed with no issues but for some reason all my PIDs were missing in the scan tool. I checked my VIN and it was entered correctly, then I noticed when i pulled down the "ENTER VIN" from the file menu, nothing was there. I manualy entered the VIN then opened my PID file again and BINGO, all looked good, all PIDs were back. However, as soon as I connect to the scan tool, the VIN gets cleared and all my PIDs are gone again. Whats going on?? I keep entering the VIN and everytime i connect it clears again.

mr.prick
April 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM
i never had to enter my VIN,
i just downloaded the OS and the tune
and all my vehicles info is visible.
as far as your PIDS disappearing,
have you selected which PID file is loaded
during start up though the properties>start up tab?

Whippled 496
April 13th, 2008, 10:12 AM
i never had to enter my VIN,
i just downloaded the OS and the tune
and all my vehicles info is visible.
as far as your PIDS disappearing,
have you selected which PID file is loaded
during start up though the properties>start up tab?

Yes, I have done all that. Its not a problem with how the application starts up, its what it does when i connect to the scan tool. You can see the VIN info at the bottom of the scan tool screen, when I hit the "connect" button, the VIN info at the bottom clears to all zero's and I lose half of my PIDs......all of the GM PIDs seem to dissapear. I have to assume its RR related because it didnt do it before i installed it. While connected, i try to reload the VIN info so the GM PIDs reappear, but as soon as i load the VIN, it disconnects from the scan tool. When i try to reconnect with the VIN info back in, it clears again......its a vicious circle.

Whippled 496
April 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I loaded the RR with the COS first, then loaded the calibrations......just like i did with the original PCM. When i click the "?" in the RR toolbar it says that the calibration does not match the calibration in the RR flash memory, but it doesnt seem like thats a real issue i dont think. I have done everything I know to do.......everytime i connect to the scan tool, it just keeps wiping my GM PIDs from the PID selection. I wanted to get out and start testing today....guess it will have to wait until i can get this worked out.....please help.

TAQuickness
April 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
What release/build of the scan and tune tool are you using (help -> about)?

Whippled 496
April 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
V7.5.3 (Build 36)
Calibrations available: 688

I really need to get this figured out, otherwise i will have to put the other PCM back in so I can drive the truck..:(

TAQuickness
April 14th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I pm'd tech support.

Whippled 496
April 14th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Thank you.

Blacky
April 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM
The PIDs are displayed based on what VIN is retrieved from the attached controller when EFILive first connects. Obviously if there is no VIN or a bogus VIN, then EFILive will only show the generic PIDs.

So the solution is to enter the VIN details manually - like you did, or a more permanent solution is to program the VIN and the correct OS into the vehicle.

Because the RR has no flash memory the normal VIN programming commands will not work. The ONLY way to get the VIN into the RR unit is to full flash a *.tun file that has the correct VIN in it. See this thread:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5685

The "calibration does not match" message may be displayed in two situations:
1. There really is something wrong with the memory in RR.
2. You have changed something in the RR calibration and then saved the file. That has the effect of generating the checksum for the file in the PC's memory but the checksum is not updated in the RR unit. That causes a mismatch between the PC and the RR. To recover from that mismatch condition, full flash the RR unit again.
I can't be 100% sure but I think that issue has been resolved in the latest version of EFILive.

Regards
Paul

TAQuickness
April 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks Paul

Whippled 496
April 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys, i got it resolved. Justin helped me out earlier and advised i try to program the VIN manualy via the bidi controls and it worked. RR is just a little different getting used to is all i suppose. I was not loading a valid VIN into the OS when i was full flashing it so it seems. I have another question and I hope you dont get sick of them too soon :). I will start another thread for that question as it does not relate to this topic. Thanks again for the help TA, PAUL, and Justin.

TAQuickness
April 15th, 2008, 02:56 AM
No worries - ask away. Just return the favor when opportunity permits.