PDA

View Full Version : BB Logging beta update: April 14, 2008

Blacky
April 14th, 2008, 10:47 PM
IMPORTANT
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO,
YOU MUST UPDATE FLASHSCAN'S BOOT BLOCK TO V2.05.07(0414)
BEFORE
YOU ATTEMPT TO UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE TO V2.05.16 OR LATER.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to use boot block V2.05.06 (released March 26, 2008).
See this link for more info on what is wrong with V2.05.06
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804

Download here:
http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILive_Beta_Update_April_14_2008.zip (19Mb)
This download includes and supersedes all previous BBL beta downloads.

Please read the Readme_First.pdf file included in the zip file.
It contains important, updated information about how to upgrade the boot block in your FlashScan and/or AutoCal devices.

Make sure you update your FlashScan (and/or AutoCal) firmware and boot block using the latest firmware file(s) in the EFILive_Hapi folder.

Please read the first posts in the March 20, March 26 and April 07 releases so that you are aware of the previous versions' pre-requisites.
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7643
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7566
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7747

Regards
Paul

Kevin Doe
April 14th, 2008, 11:24 PM
As compared to the April 7th release, what is upgraded here? Just the bootblock?

vxchev8
April 15th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Nothing to see here :lol: - my mistake

Blacky
April 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM
As compared to the April 7th release, what is upgraded here? Just the bootblock?

The boot block, the firmware and the V7 software, the DVT controls and some *.calz files.
Almost everything got updated.

See the Release notes pdf file for exact details on what got updated.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
April 15th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Paul, just an FYI I upgraded to the 4/7 bootblock last week and didnt have a problem. Although I upgraded it and then it sat until 5 min ago when I reprogramed the 4/14 boot and firmware no problems. Also figured out how to look select BBL files, too bad I cant test the P10 for ya. :(

Blacky
April 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Paul, just an FYI I upgraded to the 4/7 bootblock last week and didnt have a problem. Although I upgraded it and then it sat until 5 min ago when I reprogramed the 4/14 boot and firmware no problems. Also figured out how to look select BBL files, too bad I cant test the P10 for ya. :(

You can try testing any controller with BB Logging. Just select/use a controller with the same protocol (i.e. VPW or CAN) and then only choose* from generic PIDs.

* i.e. only include generic PIDs in the *xxx_PSL section in Options.ini.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
April 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I know, the P10 file is linked to the LS1 PSL section. My problem is I dont have a car to test it with!! So that kinda makes it hard, Ill test it here in 3 weeks.

Blacky
April 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I dont have a car to test it with!!

Ohh :doh2: I see.

ScarabEpic22
April 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Its ok, Ive been dying without my ride... Counting down the days, May 11! Then Ill probably revamp my tune again haha.

joecar
April 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
FUELSYS pid now displays correctly in scantool.

swingtan
April 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
OK, I've updated to the latest BB and firmware, all has gone OK so far. I've noticed a couple of things though....

I get nothing showing up in the "select PID" screen. As previously, I formatted the config files-system in the V2 then copied over the files. I did use my old options.ini file as I couldn't see a significant difference.
DVT for the E38 is there !!!! Woo Hoo :D I've tried a few options out and they seem to work OK, except for the "Idle Speed" adjust. As soon as I activated it the revs rose to 1000 and slowly climbed. No amount of adjusting made any difference.
Flash speed for the E38 is *HUGE* now. A full 256kb cal flash was done in 50 seconds! Previously it took about 2:30.
Power saving mode works again.

It's all looking pretty good, all I need to know is what the go is with the PID selections. Any ideas?

Simon

Blacky
April 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
OK, I've updated to the latest BB and firmware, all has gone OK so far. I've noticed a couple of things though....

I get nothing showing up in the "select PID" screen. As previously, I formatted the config files-system in the V2 then copied over the files. I did use my old options.ini file as I couldn't see a significant difference.
DVT for the E38 is there !!!! Woo Hoo :D I've tried a few options out and they seem to work OK, except for the "Idle Speed" adjust. As soon as I activated it the revs rose to 1000 and slowly climbed. No amount of adjusting made any difference.
Flash speed for the E38 is *HUGE* now. A full 256kb cal flash was done in 50 seconds! Previously it took about 2:30.
Power saving mode works again.
It's all looking pretty good, all I need to know is what the go is with the PID selections. Any ideas?

Simon

We're still refining the DVT commands.

The Options.ini file has had a change that you will need to make to your own Options.ini:
Change
*VEHICLES
to
*PID_SELECTIONS

Regards
Paul

swingtan
April 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Excellent. PID selections are now working. I'll try some more logging first thing tomorrow.

Thanks again Paul.

Simon

joecar
April 16th, 2008, 01:20 AM
When is power save mode supposed to kick in...?

Chevy366
April 16th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I am getting "error code $0194" when I try to write the "Config File" data .
I did the firmware and boot block update , and "formated" the Config Files , then tried to write the new Config Files back in (highlight , Ctrl+A , drag then drop) , it makes it to the end but then gives me the "Error Code $0194 ( Write , file system error 20) , the files are not displayed until I stop EFILive Explorer program and restart it , then they appear , they all seem to be present , just get the error .
FYI : Seems when I copy the T-42 and T-43 .pmm files is when it happens .

lakingslayer
April 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I did the firmware and boot block update , and "formated" the Config Files , then tried to write the new Config Files back in (highlight , Ctrl+A , drag then drop) , it makes it to the end but then gives me the "Error Code $0194 ( Write , file system error 20) , the files are not displayed until I stop EFILive Explorer program and restart it , then they appear , they all seem to be present , just get the error .
I had that same problem. I do not copy all the .ini files just the switch.ini and options.ini files along with the .pmm files. Sometimes I have to try the options.ini a 2nd time by itself and then it works.

JezzaB
April 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM

I had the same problem. Because we have been rolling updating there is old files eg:

LS1-B
LS1_B

all of the XXX-XXX files (with a dash not an underscore) are not needed and taking up all of the available config space. They are hanging around from a few updates ago when it changed the files names.

Just delete them and copy all of the underscore files over.

Jez

Happy Jim
April 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Paul,

I'm doing a catch up having missed a couple of patches.

I'm on 2.5.04 Boot (Oct 16th) (firmware 2.5.15 Mar 18th)

The readme PDS says I should...
1. Program Firmware V2.05.16(0326)
2. Program Boot Block V2.05.07(0412)
3. Program firmware V2.05.16 (0412)

I can't find the file for step 1?? I guess it's on the download you've removed.
Steps 2 & 3, should the filenames be xxx(0414).??

Can I ignore step 1 and jump to step 2 or will I toast my FS that way?

If I need the first file could you post on here (or mail me?)

Tks

Jim

Blacky
April 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
When is power save mode supposed to kick in...?

There's a user defined setting in the FlashScan setup screen.
Regards
Paul

Chevy366
April 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Got to looking in the HAPI folder and found several .pmm files along with the Config Folder which contains both .pmm and -.pmm files , can I just delete the Config folder and re-run the zip to replace it ?
And what are the .pmm files doing in the HAPI folder and not in the Config folder ?
I also have a EFLIve Hapi folder in the EFILive Hapi folder , does it need to be there ?

Blacky
April 16th, 2008, 08:45 AM
"Error Code $0194 ( Write , file system error 20)

That usually means "File system full". And that usually happens because you're trying to copy too many files or the wrong files to the [Config] section.
As some of the other replies suggested, delete ALL *.pmm files from the Config folder on your PC, then re-extract them from the zip file. That will leave you with only the files that should be there and not files from previous releases.

P.S. You only need to copy the *.pmm files to FlahScan that you expect to use. You don't have to copy them all.
i.e. if you are only intending to log LS1 98, LS1 99+, E40 and E38, then all you need to copy to FlashScan are the files:

LS1A_A.pmm (LS1 98 auto)
LS1A_M.pmm (LS1 98 manual)
LS1B_A.pmm (LS1 99+ auto)
LS1B_M.pmm (LS1 99+ manual)
E40.pmm (E40 ECM)
T42.pmm (4/5 speed TCM)
E38.pmm (E38 engine)
T43.pmm (6 speed TCM)

You can even delete unwanted entries from Options.ini to make the PID selection menu on FlashScan more compact.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Paul,

I'm doing a catch up having missed a couple of patches.

I'm on 2.5.04 Boot (Oct 16th) (firmware 2.5.15 Mar 18th)

The readme PDS says I should...
1. Program Firmware V2.05.16(0326)
2. Program Boot Block V2.05.07(0412)
3. Program firmware V2.05.16 (0412)

I can't find the file for step 1?? I guess it's on the download you've removed.
Steps 2 & 3, should the filenames be xxx(0414).??

Can I ignore step 1 and jump to step 2 or will I toast my FS that way?

If I need the first file could you post on here (or mail me?)

Tks

Jim

If you're starting out at boot block V2.05.04 (and firmware 2.05.15), then you can jump straight to step 2.
Step one could have said "flash in V2.05.15 or 2.05.16". You have already got 2.05.15 so you're good to go from step 2.

The file names should end with (0414), that's a typing mistake on my part.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Got to looking in the HAPI folder and found several .pmm files along with the Config Folder which contains both .pmm and -.pmm files , can I just delete the Config folder and re-run the zip to replace it ?
And what are the .pmm files doing in the HAPI folder and not in the Config folder ?
I also have a EFLIve Hapi folder in the EFILive Hapi folder , does it need to be there ?

*.pmm files can be anywhere, there's no restriction. They are not used (yet) by the PC, only by FlashScan.
However, to keep everything neat and tidy, I recommend keeping them in the Config folder - which matches the [Config] tab page in EFILive_Explorer.
You can delete all *.pmm files from the PC and re-extract them from the zip file to make sure you have the latest/correct set of pmm files.
No, you don't need an EFILive_Hapi folder in the EFILive_Hapi folder.

See image of my setup here.

Regards
Paul

Happy Jim
April 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM
If you're starting out at boot block V2.05.04 (and firmware 2.05.15), then you can jump straight to step 2.
Step one could have said "flash in V2.05.15 or 2.05.16". You have already got 2.05.15 so you're good to go from step 2.

The file names should end with (0414), that's a typing mistake on my part.

Regards
Paul

All working,

Many thanks

Jim

swingtan
April 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hi Paul,

I tried some more BBL-ing this morning and while the recording works well, I still can't read any of the DMA PID's in the log file, when loading into scan tool.

Simon

Black02SS
April 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Same problem here with VISTA. If you click on explorer before running HAPI it will give an infinite error. Same issue I posted in another thread.

Blacky
April 16th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Paul,

I tried some more BBL-ing this morning and while the recording works well, I still can't read any of the DMA PID's in the log file, when loading into scan tool.

Simon

I'll look into it.
Paul

Blacky
April 16th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Same problem here with VISTA. If you click on explorer before running HAPI it will give an infinite error. Same issue I posted in another thread.

Its most likely a Vista security issue. EFILive_Explorer (or the user logged in running EFILive_Explorer) probably does not have permission to run EFILive_Hapi.

I don't know how to fix that, I'm not a Vista expert.
You may need to go into the properties of the exe file and change the permissions to allow them to play nicely in Vista.
Or, there may just be a security setting in your Vista setup that is just a little too paranoid.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
April 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Do we need to keep all the .efw files that are acquired during all the updates ?
Just trying to trim some unused stuff from the folder .

Blacky
April 16th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Do we need to keep all the .efw files that are acquired during all the updates ?
Just trying to trim some unused stuff from the folder .

No, you don't need any of them once a *.efw file is programmed into FlashScan you can delete it. The only reason folks keep them is sometimes during the beta test, I will release a firmware upgrade and it will break some feature. The feature can be restored by going back to the previous *.efw file until a fix is available.

That is only possible during the beta test because I am trying to keep the version number the same and only change the temporary date extension. Because *.efw files during the beta test have the same internal date you can put an old file back into FlashScan because the version checking algorithm sees the the same version number not an earlier one.

(Except when a boot block upgrade is needed, the I have to increase the version number of the firmware file.)

Once the official BB Logging firmware is released, each firmware upgrade will be a new version number (with no date extensions). Then there is no going back to an older version.

Regards
Paul

joecar
April 16th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I created a subfolder called "Firmware" and I moved all the firmware files into there.

Chevy366
April 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
No, you don't need any of them once a *.efw file is programmed into FlashScan you can delete it. The only reason folks keep them is sometimes during the beta test, I will release a firmware upgrade and it will break some feature. The feature can be restored by going back to the previous *.efw file until a fix is available.

Regards
Paul

Thanks , I deleted all of the non essential extensions and re-installed from the zip and all is much learner and neater .
Config copy worked like it should .

lakingslayer
April 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The PCM TP PID does not work for the LLY so I've been using the PCM TP_A PID. When I load it into the scan tool and try to display the log I don't see the TP_A PID or in the Data tab. I'm also seeing the same issue as with the April 7th release of the data not reading correctly at some frames. I've attached a pic.

hymey
April 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Blacky I am having the same problem as swingtan. When logging all the pids are showing and recording. I load the logged data to my PC once the scan tool opens all the dma pids are missing from the recording. If I try and add them it wont allow it. It states that the pids can only be selected if I clear the logged data.

Other than that, all is going smooth. And it flashes very fast with the new calz files. I also noticed in the VVE that thr rpm increments increase by 200rpm all the way whereas before it would increase by 200rpm then 400 rpm further down the column.

Cheers

Joel

swingtan
April 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I have another interesting issue after the last update. When I open a log file now, quite often I get corrupted data in the dash page. This seems to be completely random as the attached image shows. In this image I've opened the same log file twice, the first time it's fine, the second is not.

Anyone else seen anything like this that may be able to shed some light?

Simon.

dc_justin
April 18th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Still seeing the T42 base pressure bug. Screenshots below

http://www.marketitright.com/blackbearperformance/images/7_5_4_base_pressure.gif

http://www.marketitright.com/blackbearperformance/images/7_5_1_base_pressure.gif

Chevy366
April 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Innovate wide-band LC-1 can not be found now , was working fine before latest update now gives me "Controller not Found" message , made sure and selected Innovate in "Options" setup .

Hyper99
April 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Did you set COM In and COM Out to Wide-02 also?

joecar
April 19th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Paul,

In scantool build 48, doing Print All (button or menu) causes immediate access violation...

Print single works ok, but it's tedious to generate a report of everything by doing single reports of each tab.

Cheers
Joe

Black02SS
April 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Was able to test Serial for LM-1 and LOVE it. Can't wait for the FJO to be supported. It is simply awsome. Only issue I saw was the values actually went past 20.9 on decel up to 120:1.1 AFR. Made the BEN show 6.0. LOL

Chevy366
April 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Did you set COM In and COM Out to Wide-02 also?

Duh , thanks that was it , how do you say moron , oh yeah like that !
Did not dawn on me to set the COMs , I was like the V2 has only one RJ45 connection why two COMs , must be for Analog .

Many thanks .

Hyper99
April 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
No problem
I remembered it because I missed it the first time around:doh2:

Glad I could help

hymey
April 19th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Was able to test Serial for LM-1 and LOVE it. Can't wait for the FJO to be supported. It is simply awsome. Only issue I saw was the values actually went past 20.9 on decel up to 120:1.1 AFR. Made the BEN show 6.0. LOL

Make sure you turn DFCO off when logging bens.

Chevy366
April 20th, 2008, 01:11 AM
No problem
I remembered it because I missed it the first time around:doh2:

Glad I could help

Here is a thought , make the default setting be WBO2 for COM1 and COM2 , I can see the need for a selectable WBO2 controller , i,e, Innovate , PLX etc ... , but default the COMs to a on state .:doh:

Lennart
April 20th, 2008, 05:03 AM
From todays experiments:
LLY TP PID does not work on the V2 but TP_A does!
The TP PID does display on the PC correctly.
When logging data it will overwrite existing files without any notice!
(after a reflash to the latest FW I might add)
What are the rules to the names, when is the counter reset?
Selecting LLY Auto does not work, no frames will be logged or updated data displayed.
DVT is pretty sweet! Turning on/off is a little weird sometimes as the setting will remain on even when shutting off the feature (e.g. idle speed)

lakingslayer
April 20th, 2008, 05:37 AM
From todays experiments:
LLY TP PID does not work on the V2 but TP_A does!
The TP PID does display on the PC correctly.
When logging data it will overwrite existing files without any notice!
(after a reflash to the latest FW I might add)
What are the rules to the names, when is the counter reset?
Selecting LLY Auto does not work, no frames will be logged or updated data displayed.
DVT is pretty sweet! Turning on/off is a little weird sometimes as the setting will remain on even when shutting off the feature (e.g. idle speed)
I have all the above symptoms also except for the LLY auto not working. I use LLY auto for my logs. Do you see any weird frames when playing back your log on the PC?

Lennart
April 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I have all the above symptoms also except for the LLY auto not working. I use LLY auto for my logs. Do you see any weird frames when playing back your log on the PC?

I did have one log file that was filled with notes rather than data.

swingtan
April 20th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Lennart and lakingslayer, the "weird frames or "logs full of notes" sounds like the problem I'm having as well. I've found that repeated tries at opening the file eventually seems to get a clean read and displays "sane" data. I have no idea if the data is actually correct though.

The way the logs look when they open in "corrupted" form reminds me of the first BBL logs I tried on the E38 when the V2 would cause I/O problems between the ECM and other modules, bringing up dash alerts and dropping corrupted data into the log file. This was back around the start of this year. When opening these files in ScanTool, I'd get the same weir looking data displayed as I get now. It's almost like the BBL files don't have an <EOF> character and ScanTool ends up with random data at the end of the log.

Simon.

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM
The PCM TP PID does not work for the LLY so I've been using the PCM TP_A PID. When I load it into the scan tool and try to display the log I don't see the TP_A PID or in the Data tab. I'm also seeing the same issue as with the April 7th release of the data not reading correctly at some frames. I've attached a pic.

Can you send me a *.efi file that has the random data problems?
Send to paul@efilive.com
Thanks
Paul

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Here is a thought , make the default setting be WBO2 for COM1 and COM2 , I can see the need for a selectable WBO2 controller , i,e, Innovate , PLX etc ... , but default the COMs to a on state .:doh:

Yes, they will be defaulted to WBO2 in the "public" release.

There are two COM settings, one for in and one for out. For example, you may be reading COM data from a wideband, but outputting data to a dyno controller. You can do that from FlashScan's single RS232 connector if you make up a custom Y serial cable.

P.S. The dyno data is output on the serial port now. I will publish the data spec soon.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Lennart and lakingslayer, the "weird frames or "logs full of notes" sounds like the problem I'm having as well. I've found that repeated tries at opening the file eventually seems to get a clean read and displays "sane" data. I have no idea if the data is actually correct though.

The way the logs look when they open in "corrupted" form reminds me of the first BBL logs I tried on the E38 when the V2 would cause I/O problems between the ECM and other modules, bringing up dash alerts and dropping corrupted data into the log file. This was back around the start of this year. When opening these files in ScanTool, I'd get the same weir looking data displayed as I get now. It's almost like the BBL files don't have an <EOF> character and ScanTool ends up with random data at the end of the log.

Simon.

There appears to be a bug in the frame count value. The frame count value is written into the file as a 16 bit value ("%d") but should be written as a 32 bit value ("%ld"). That will cause problems if the log file is longer than 65535 frames. A fix is being made now.

If any of you have log files of less than 65535 frames that are showing corrupt frames, please send them to me at paul@efilive.com.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
April 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Still seeing the T42 base pressure bug. Screenshots below

Same TCM OS, just a different EFILive release I assume?

swingtan
April 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
There appears to be a bug in the frame count value. The frame count value is written into the file as a 16 bit value ("%d") but should be written as a 32 bit value ("%ld"). That will cause problems if the log file is longer than 65535 frames. A fix is being made now.

If any of you have log files of less than 65535 frames that are showing corrupt frames, please send them to me at paul@efilive.com.

Regards
Paul

I have a few, as I was also finding that opening old log files caused this issue. I just tried opening a log from 24/1/2008 that is 8842 frames long and the first 4 tries resulted in a corrupt display. The fifth try brought up a clean dash page. All I did was to double click the log file and allow ScanTool to open automatically.

I just noticed that data is stored in the "temporary cache" folder when the files are opened. There are 2 files for each opening of the *.efi log file..

Corrupt version:

efi_cache.0 = 0KB in size
efi_filter.0 = 0KB in size

OK Version:

efi_cache.1 = 262KB in size
efi_filter.1 = 0KB in size

The original logfile is 262KB in size......

Did you still want log examples ?

Simon

dc_justin
April 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Same TCM OS, just a different EFILive release I assume?

Yep. The same file was opened in both versions of the software. In fact, every 07 T42 file I've opened has had the same problem.

hymey
April 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hi Paul,

Simon

Any feedback for this blacky?

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Any feedback for this blacky?
I'm working on it tonight... (no rest for me).
Paul

GMPX
April 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Lennart, the DVT's should disable pretty much instantly, there is also some timers in the ECM that should shut them off if Flashscan is no longer broadcasting the override messages.
So on your idle speed control, as soon as you untick the idle speed control box the ECM should return to normal operation.
When you say the idle speed remains in DVT mode, for how long is this for?

Cheers,
Ross

swingtan
April 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I have an update for the PID's issue. I tried pass-through logging this afternoon and noticed that E38.AFRATIO_DMA was reading wrong. It was reading 0.56:1.

Here's the log file.....

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Blacky I am having the same problem as swingtan. When logging all the pids are showing and recording. I load the logged data to my PC once the scan tool opens all the dma pids are missing from the recording. If I try and add them it wont allow it. It states that the pids can only be selected if I clear the logged data.

Other than that, all is going smooth. And it flashes very fast with the new calz files. I also noticed in the VVE that thr rpm increments increase by 200rpm all the way whereas before it would increase by 200rpm then 400 rpm further down the column.

Cheers

Joel

The problem was the E38 and E67 DMA PIDs are prefixed with E38 and E67 respectively. Black Box Logging was adding the prefix GM in the *.efi files. When the *.tun files were loaded into the scanner, it could not find (for example) the PID GM.AFRATIO_DMA because the PID is actually called E38.AFRATIO_DMA.

If you really need the data from those log files, you can edit the *.efi files using Hexedit (from www.bpsoft.com). Change the GM.xxxxxx_M PID names to E38.xxxxxx_M names. In Hexedit that will require you to insert a character after the GM. I.e change the existing "GM" prefix to "E3" and then insert an "8" to make the prefix "E38".

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Paul,

In scantool build 48, doing Print All (button or menu) causes immediate access violation...

Print single works ok, but it's tedious to generate a report of everything by doing single reports of each tab.

Cheers
Joe

Hi Joe,

I still can't reproduce this problem here.
Can you tell me the settings you have checked in Properties->Printing?
Thanks
Paul

swingtan
April 20th, 2008, 11:20 PM
The problem was the E38 and E67 DMA PIDs are prefixed with E38 and E67 respectively. Black Box Logging was adding the prefix GM in the *.efi files. When the *.tun files were loaded into the scanner, it could not find (for example) the PID GM.AFRATIO_DMA because the PID is actually called E38.AFRATIO_DMA.

If you really need the data from those log files, you can edit the *.efi files using Hexedit (from www.bpsoft.com). Change the GM.xxxxxx_M PID names to E38.xxxxxx_M names. In Hexedit that will require you to insert a character after the GM. I.e change the existing "GM" prefix to "E3" and then insert an "8" to make the prefix "E38".

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul,

I've edited a few log files and the data comes up well. By the way, all the log files I've tried this evening open fine, including the one I was having trouble with earlier today. I did plug in the V2 this afternoon and EFILive_Tune.exe had a "fatal exception" error. I restarted it, flashed a tune and now ScanTool seems to be OK....... Perhaps the "corrupt log file" problem is OS related.

Simon.

joecar
April 21st, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hi Joe,

I still can't reproduce this problem here.
Can you tell me the settings you have checked in Properties->Printing?
Thanks
PaulSee attached pic...

Lennart
April 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM
Lennart, the DVT's should disable pretty much instantly, there is also some timers in the ECM that should shut them off if Flashscan is no longer broadcasting the override messages.
So on your idle speed control, as soon as you untick the idle speed control box the ECM should return to normal operation.
When you say the idle speed remains in DVT mode, for how long is this for?

Cheers,
Ross

Ross,

I am sending you a log file while I was using the DVT controls.
The idle speed will not return to normal by disabling the DVT switch. Rail pressure seems to work fine, though.
Should I be able to change more than one setting at once?
I was unable to change rail pressure while idle speed was changed.
Idle speed did return to normal, don`t know what it takes, though.....it is not time but perhaps 0+% TP over time....
VNT seems to work as well, even though it sounds like it only works in one direction....once it is a 0% you will not get the hissing back by moving the slider.

JoshH
April 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
I guess I'm retarded. I updated my firmware to v2.04.71, then followed the directions for the boot block upgrade, but now I can't get my firmware to update to v2.05.16 and the flash cable is stuck in the blinking LED mode. WTF did I do wrong?

Blacky
April 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM
I have an update for the PID's issue. I tried pass-through logging this afternoon and noticed that E38.AFRATIO_DMA was reading wrong. It was reading 0.56:1.

Here's the log file.....

What is the operating system of the ECM that you are logging?
Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
I guess I'm retarded. I updated my firmware to v2.04.71, then followed the directions for the boot block upgrade, but now I can't get my firmware to update to v2.05.16 and the flash cable is stuck in the blinking LED mode. WTF did I do wrong?

After the boot block upgrade you can no longer use the FlashScan Firmware Programming software that you would have used in the past. Instead you must use the EFILive_Explorer.exe program that is part of the BBL beta software download.
After you have downloaded and unzipped the BBL Beta software zip file, you can find that program here \Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\EFILive_Explorer.exe

Regards
Paul

swingtan
April 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

OS is 12607218.

JoshH
April 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks Paul. That did it. I knew it was something stupid I was doing wrong.

GMPX
April 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Ross,

I am sending you a log file while I was using the DVT controls.
The idle speed will not return to normal by disabling the DVT switch. Rail pressure seems to work fine, though.
Should I be able to change more than one setting at once?
I was unable to change rail pressure while idle speed was changed.
Idle speed did return to normal, don`t know what it takes, though.....it is not time but perhaps 0+% TP over time....
VNT seems to work as well, even though it sounds like it only works in one direction....once it is a 0% you will not get the hissing back by moving the slider.

Wow this thread is a mess to follow :music_whistling_1:
It's quite odd that the disables have no immediate effect. Out of interest, can you try the idle speed control (and VNT too as well I guess) whilst you are not logging at the same time. Perhaps some messages are just not getting through whilst logging at the same time. Not suggesting this is the solution, just curious to see if it cures the intermittent response from the ECM.

Thanks,
Ross

swingtan
April 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM

Ross

I agree, but at the moment we don't have a proper tracking system for bugs / issues found with the BBL beta releases. I guess you "could" set up a proper logging and tracking system, but that would just take your time away from releasing the next update...... ;)

Simon.

POLARIS_600cc
April 21st, 2008, 01:52 PM
It's quite odd that the disables have no immediate effect. Out of interest, can you try the idle speed control (and VNT too as well I guess) whilst you are not logging at the same time. Perhaps some messages are just not getting through whilst logging at the same time. Not suggesting this is the solution, just curious to see if it cures the intermittent response from the ECM.

Thanks,
Ross

Just thought I would let you know I was playing around with the DVT controls and there was no delay for me. Also I was messing with idle speed and vnt position at the same time and both worked. I did not try idle speed and rail pressure changes together. I also was not logging any of this. My truck is an 06 LBZ

EDIT: I also just noticed I have @hotmail.com in my username, since your an admin could you pm me with info on how to take that out, or feel free to just do it. Thanks.

mr.prick
April 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM
when will we have the ability to select
how logged data is applied with RTACS,
other than multiply? :cussing:
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=60768&postcount=1
sorry to nag at this topic again.:grin:

FWIW
i`ve had no problems since this last update.:w00t:

GMPX
April 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Just thought I would let you know I was playing around with the DVT controls and there was no delay for me. Also I was messing with idle speed and vnt position at the same time and both worked. I did not try idle speed and rail pressure changes together. I also was not logging any of this. My truck is an 06 LBZ

EDIT: I also just noticed I have @hotmail.com in my username, since your an admin could you pm me with info on how to take that out, or feel free to just do it. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback, I removed the @hotmail from your name, you might need to clear the cookie to log back in, see how you go.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
April 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
I agree, but at the moment we don't have a proper tracking system for bugs / issues found with the BBL beta releases. I guess you "could" set up a proper logging and tracking system, but that would just take your time away from releasing the next update...... ;)

Simon.

Trust me, I'd be happy to play with vBulletin admin all day, stress free work sounds good. But you are right, things are probably getting missed.

Cheers,
Ross

swingtan
April 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Regards
Paul

Paul, RE: the AFR reading being off. Forget this one as I just realised what I did. I think I selected an E40 controller instead of E38.......... Funny that it seemed to work so well actually.

Sorry for the side track......

Simon

Black02SS
April 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM

Make sure you turn DFCO off when logging bens.

I understand that but the values should have a min and max limits that Live shows. ie. 0.0-20.9

Blacky
April 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
when will we have the ability to select
how logged data is applied with RTACS,
other than multiply? :cussing:
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=60768&postcount=1
sorry to nag at this topic again.:grin:

FWIW
i`ve had no problems since this last update.:w00t:
It is implemented in the current beta software.
Quote from the release notes: EFILive beta V7.5.4 (Build 44)

RTACS now supports Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division as well as the current BEN factor percentage adjustment. Just add the operator (+, -, * or /) you wish to use followed by a comma before the first PID name in the *.RRR key like this: Bxxxx.RRR=+,<pidname> Leave it blank to use the standard BEN factor %.Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
I understand that but the values should have a min and max limits that Live shows. ie. 0.0-20.9

Hmmm, the max should be 25.00AFR (1.701 lambda). I will check why it is going above that value.

Regards
Paul

Lennart
April 22nd, 2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks,
Ross

I tried that already....logging or not does not make a difference. Just logged it for you to see :-)

ringram
April 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Had an issue where a log file was corrupt and only 2kb in size. It should have been around 8-9Mb.

Other than that all is well. It would be good if you could indicate a default pid selection in the .ini file so you didnt have to manually select it each time. Kind of go straight to record..

Blacky
April 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Had an issue where a log file was corrupt and only 2kb in size. It should have been around 8-9Mb.

Also quick Q. I edited the config.ini file and added "ECM, AFRATIO_DMA", "ECM, E38.AFRATIO_M" and some other combinations but couldnt get it to list up the data in flashscan, it still just showed the default PIDs.

What am I doing wrong? (I put this under the *PSL_LS2 section which looked right for the E38.)

Other than that all is well. It would be good if you could indicate a default pid selection in the .ini file so you didnt have to manually select it each time. Kind of go straight to record..

Did you name the file Config.ini or Options.ini. FlashScan will ignore any file called Config.ini and continue to look at Options.ini.
I presume you used Options.ini and just made a typo in this thread.
The PID you need to select is the only permutation you probably did not try: AFRATIO_M
Note: The SAE., GM., E38. and E67. prefixes are not used in black box logging. And the _DMA suffixes have been changed to _M.
(Edit: Looks like you fixed it before I got done typing...)

The default PID selection will happen, I've been meaning to implement that for a while now. It will have two settings:
1. It can be set up to always load a defined PID selection.
or
2. It can be set up to always load the most recently used PID selection. The second option requires that FlashScan writes to the Config.dat file each time a PID selection is made. That takes an extra 1-2 seconds when selecting PIDs.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM

Can you send the log file to me please? paul@efilive.com
Regards
Paul

swingtan
April 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM

I just re-order the PID selections in options.ini so my "default" is the first on the list. Then after connecting the V2 to the vehicle, I just hit <OK> 3 times to start logging.

Simon.

ringram
April 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hi thanks guys, I edited my post about the time Paul replied. I spied the E38.txt pid list and figured that out. As for the log file. Sadly I deleted it. If it happens again I will send it. It was about 1.5 hours of driving so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Yeah I meant options.ini Too much IT work makes me see config.ini everywhere.

swingtan I have chopped the list to 2 options.. might even drop the other to make that easier, thanks. OLSD in the E38 tomorrow :)

Also BTW: DVT Idle speed doesnt work, normal speed cause about 1500rpm to happen, you can go as low as you want and it only goes to the normal idle speed. I went down into the 300's and it was still around 800rpm.

swingtan
April 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hi Guys,

I have been playing with a TechEdge 2J1 WB unit and attempting to get the serial connection working with the V2. After some initial work to match everything up I was able to detect the controller and receive serial data from the 2J1. the data however is rather interesting....

After speaking with Peter from TechEdge and reading the details of the unit, I think we need a new protocol set up for the current units ( or perhaps a change to the current V2.0 one ). It seems that the data supplied in the serial protocol changed mid to late 2007 from a 12 bit DAC value, to a Lambda-16 value. details as follows....

http://wbo2.com/2a0/logger.htm

Bytes 6 & 7 This is λ-16 (originally Raw Wideband ADC value). In 2007 these two bytes have been redefined to be λ-16 which is fully described here. Originally it was a 12 bit value (0 to 4095) that is applied to the DAC (Digital to Analogue converter) and represents the voltage in mVolts produced by the DAC. The DAC is followed by a amplifier with a gain of 1.00 (for newer version 3 units) or 1.22059(=(68+15)/68 for older version 2 units). Note that the WBlin value is looked up in the WB unit's EE PROM tables using the pump current (Ipx) as index.

the conversion data is.....

http://wbo2.com/sw/lambda-16.htm

Lambda-16 is an unsigned 16 bit number representing lambda (λ). For simplicity and to preserve accuracy across the possible range of Lambda, Lambda-16 is a dual-slope transfer function covering the ranges :
Lambda = 0.5 → 5.0 (normal usage range of unleaded AFR = 7.35 to AFR = 73.5)
Lambda = 5.0 → free-air (useful for non-tuning wideband applications)

Lambda (λ) is converted to Lambda-16 (λ16) as follows
If (λ < 5.0)
λ16 = ( λ - 0.5 ) * 8192
else
λ16 = 36864 + (( λ - 5.0 ) * 128)

Lambda-16 is converted to Lambda as follows:
if (λ16 < 36864)
λ = ( λ16 / 8192 ) + 0.5
else
λ = 5.0 + ((λ16 - 36864 ) / 128)

Note that AFR is directly related to λ, and λ16, by

AFR = λ * AFRstoich
AFR = (( λ16 / 8192 ) + 0.5 ) * AFRstoich (for the useful vehicle tuning range)

Where AFRstoich is the AFR value at stoich for the fuel used (14.7 for unleaded).

Any chance of including something in the next update?

Simon.

swingtan
April 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Also BTW: DVT Idle speed doesnt work, normal speed cause about 1500rpm to happen, you can go as low as you want and it only goes to the normal idle speed. I went down into the 300's and it was still around 800rpm.

I noticed this as well, E38 specific. Also found that "Spark Retard From Final Spark" worked for small changes, but if you tried to push it too far, the spark just went back to the commanded levels.

Simon

bballer182
April 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Having trouble with my SD card. In the file system page -> F1, F2, F3 are not working. Card info gives $0414, Free Space gives "space unknown!" and Format says "card not formatted, please reformat card before using"

GMPX
April 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
I noticed this as well, E38 specific. Also found that "Spark Retard From Final Spark" worked for small changes, but if you tried to push it too far, the spark just went back to the commanded levels.

Simon

If the changes stopped happening the ECM should have sent back an error, you should have seen this at the top of the DVT control screen. Did you notice anything?

There may very well be a retard limit in the ECM, I think from memory the calculation can work out to 256 degrees!, but that is just silly, so the limits you see in the DVT controls are what we put in place, if you can get some idea of where the ECM ignores the value that would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
April 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Having trouble with my SD card. In the file system page -> F1, F2, F3 are not working. Card info gives $0414, Free Space gives "space unknown!" and Format says "card not formatted, please reformat card before using"

Just to verify that the card is ok, can you read and or format the card in a PC SD card reader?

Do you have a different card you can try in FlashScan to make sure its not FlashScan that is faulty? If it was a fault in FlashScan, the most likely cause would be a fault in the SD card holder where the pins do not contact properly.

What happens if you press on the SD card to hold it an extra mm into the socket while formatting it? Does that make any difference?

Lastly, some MMC cards do not work in FlashScan, make sure you are using a true SD card and not an old style MMC card. SD cards should say "SD" on them somewhere.

Regards
Paul

bballer182
April 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Just to verify that the card is ok, can you read and or format the card in a PC SD card reader?

Do you have a different card you can try in FlashScan to make sure its not FlashScan that is faulty? If it was a fault in FlashScan, the most likely cause would be a fault in the SD card holder where the pins do not contact properly.

What happens if you press on the SD card to hold it an extra mm into the socket while formatting it? Does that make any difference?

Lastly, some MMC cards do not work in FlashScan, make sure you are using a true SD card and not an old style MMC card. SD cards should say "SD" on them somewhere.

Regards
Paul

Weird, the SD card was working in my laptop, but not in the FS. I tried a micro SD with adapter in the FS and that one worked. Swapped in the one for the FS and it works fine now. Before i tried swapping, i tried pushing it in the extra mm, removing and replacing, removing and powering down then powering back up and replacing. So i don't know whats going on, everything works fine; just formatted.

Blacky
April 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been playing with a TechEdge 2J1 WB unit and attempting to get the serial connection working with the V2. After some initial work to match everything up I was able to detect the controller and receive serial data from the 2J1. the data however is rather interesting.
Any chance of including something in the next update?
Simon.

Can someone check my math on this:

Given this:

Lambda-16 is converted to Lambda as follows:
if (λ16 < 36864)
λ = ( λ16 / 8192 ) + 0.5
else
λ = 5.0 + ((λ16 - 36864 ) / 128)I want to calculate λ*1000, does the following math work?

if (λ16 < 36864)
λ = (λ16*8.192) + 500 (Edit, should be: λ = (λ16/8.192) + 500)
else
λ = 5000 + ((λ16 - 36864 )*7.8125 )Regards
Paul

ringram
April 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Ok I do still have the corrupted log from yesterday. Its attached.
It should have been like 5mb+ but its tiny and busted.

Blacky
April 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Ok I do still have the corrupted log from yesterday. Its attached.
It should have been like 5mb+ but its tiny and busted.
Strange, it has written the frame count back into the file as 38,344 frames, but not the data.
Did you save that file to an SD card or to the internal flash memory?
Either way, I would recommend (re)formatting whichever device it was meant to be saved to, just in case there is a FAT file system problem.

Regards
Paul

ringram
April 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Yes its an SD card, I did another run today fine. I formatted it loads of times first on flashscan then using the efi_explorer.

Ill run a checkdsk on it etc. Will let you know if it happens again.

Found the DMA pid logging problem :( Looking forward to the fix for that.

Lennart
April 23rd, 2008, 05:12 AM
Todays experiences:
started the truck, drove out of the garage and started logging.
After frame #13 the logging froze up. Cancelled out of it and tried again. Next time it logged 3314 frames before it froze. After that it refused to log and I got Error $0185....even when trying to create a trace file.
Then switched to internal memory in hopes to be able to write the trace file there.....did not work either.
The memory information on the SD card using V2 said 1142kb used.
Using the EFILive_Explorer I get error $0183 when trying to acces the scan files.
Read the content of the SD-Card: All files gone except for a file called : "Ù<ÉMSDOS.5.0" :wtf1: with a size of 0kb.

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Todays experiences:
started the truck, drove out of the garage and started logging.
After frame #13 the logging froze up. Cancelled out of it and tried again. Next time it logged 3314 frames before it froze. After that it refused to log and I got Error $0185....even when trying to create a trace file.
Then switched to internal memory in hopes to be able to write the trace file there.....did not work either.
The memory information on the SD card using V2 said 1142kb used.
Using the EFILive_Explorer I get error $0183 when trying to acces the scan files.
Read the content of the SD-Card: All files gone except for a file called : "Ù<ÉMSDOS.5.0" :wtf1: with a size of 0kb.

What version and date of firmware in FlashScan are you using?
Regards
Paul

swingtan
April 23rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
If the changes stopped happening the ECM should have sent back an error, you should have seen this at the top of the DVT control screen. Did you notice anything?

There may very well be a retard limit in the ECM, I think from memory the calculation can work out to 256 degrees!, but that is just silly, so the limits you see in the DVT controls are what we put in place, if you can get some idea of where the ECM ignores the value that would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Ross

Hi Ross,

I tried the DVT control of final spark timing and was able to get as far at 10.0' of retard before the error. as soon as I went to 10.1' I got an error " DVT: Commanded spark retard too high." ( screen shot attached ). Reducing the commanded spark retard returned normal operation, as can be seen in the image.

Simon.

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Ross,

I tried the DVT control of final spark timing and was able to get as far at 10.0' of retard before the error. as soon as I went to 10.1' I got an error " DVT: Commanded spark retard too high." ( screen shot attached ). Reducing the commanded spark retard returned normal operation, as can be seen in the image.

Simon.

There is a setting in the ECM that determines the maximum spark retard for bidi controls, {B5144}.

Regards:
Paul

swingtan
April 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
There is a setting in the ECM that determines the maximum spark retard for bidi controls, {B5144}.

Regards:
Paul

Thanks... I hadn't seen that one ;)

GMPX
April 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks Paul, I forgot about that exact calibration, but I had a feeling there was that in there.
I think to save the confusion and annoyance of it dropping out I might change the limit to 10 degrees. On all the E38 / E67 files I checked that appears to be the common limit defined in B5144.

Cheers,
Ross

Lennart
April 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
What version and date of firmware in FlashScan are you using?
Regards
Paul

Bootblock and Firmware are dated April 14th

Treurentner
April 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Hi Paul,

will the L31 controller (Vortec engine) be supported for BB logging with DMA pids like Knockretard? I can do BB logging with the P12 files and modified pid selection (mostly like LS1) and it works without any issues. Will the DVT for that controller suported in the near future?

Kind regrds!

Marco

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Bootblock and Firmware are dated April 14th

It is quite possibly being caused by this:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7884

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi Paul,

will the L31 controller (Vortec engine) be supported for BB logging with DMA pids like Knockretard? I can do BB logging with the P12 files and modified pid selection (mostly like LS1) and it works without any issues. Will the DVT for that controller suported in the near future?

Kind regrds!

Marco

Did I leave out the enhanced L31 PIDs? :music_whistling_1: Sorry, my bad. I'll get them added in for the next release.

Not sure about the DVT controls for the L31, let me look into it.

Regards
Paul