PDA

View Full Version : New user blues - can't read LS3

9secz
April 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Hi everyone, n00b here! I received my EFILive 7.5.3 and V2 Wednesday, got everything registered, and found that I could not read my LS3 PCM. I know V2 connects to the PCM because I successfully cleared my rear O2 DTCs. I know my laptop communicates with V2 because I successfully updated V2 firmware. To be thorough, I downloaded 7.5.3 and manually installed the USB drivers. But when I try to read my PCM, I get these:
http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/NoCommPopup.gif
http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/CommScreen.gif

Any idea what's wrong? Was I wrong in thinking the C6 LS3 was supported? :help2:

Jeff

joecar
April 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Jeff, I pm'd Tech Support, it make take a day or two, he's on a trip.

Which version of software are you running (Help->About)...?

If you have version 7.5.4 (beta) then make sure EFILive Explorer is not open.

ScarabEpic22
April 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Download the latest Beta files, I have a feeling the LS3 isnt supported except in the latest release. Other than that, very interesting that you can flash the V2 and connect to the ECM. Can you use the scan tool? If not I have a hunch there might be a driver problem or windows is being stupid...

9secz
April 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! I am running 7.5.3 but I'll have to check the build when I get home from work. It is whatever is currently on the download page. V2 firmware is build 70.

The scan tool also barfs when I try to connect to the PCM.

I'll try 7.5.4 beta tonight to see if I get any further.

BTW, sorry for the duplicate posting. I was kinda rev'ed up about the problem and thought that my first post at the end of the "can't connect" thread might be missed.

Jeff

GMPX
April 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM
It looks like your aren't even talking to the V2 at all, let alone the ECM.
Was there any issues when you were installing the USB drivers?

Cheers,
Ross

9secz
April 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM
It looks like your aren't even talking to the V2 at all, let alone the ECM.
Was there any issues when you were installing the USB drivers?

Cheers,
RossNo issues with the USB drivers. To make sure, I used the device manager to manually delete the USB drivers, then reinstall them from the 7.5.3.zip I downloaded from here yesterday.

V2 displays USB Mode when connected to the laptop, and I downloaded build 70 firmware to the V2 using the firmware update utility with no issues.

I'm currently hunting for 7.5.4 beta to try this evening.

Jeff

9secz
April 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Well, I tried to update my V2 to 7.5.4 beta, but it barfed during or after the first boot block update (to 2.05.07). I never got the new license screen and now the box is in permanently toggling orange LED mode regardless of what key I hold down during USB connect. The firmware update utility says it is not in dead poll mode. It's just plain dead.

Sorry to sound bitter, but this has been a painfully unpleasant $750 experience. I'm recommending '08 C6 LS3 support be removed from the main site until it's true.

Jeff

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Well, I tried to update my V2 to 7.5.4 beta, but it barfed during or after the first boot block update (to 2.05.07). I never got the new license screen and now the box is in permanently toggling orange LED mode regardless of what key I hold down during USB connect. The firmware update utility says it is not in dead poll mode. It's just plain dead.

Sorry to sound bitter, but this has been a painfully unpleasant $750 experience. I'm recommending '08 C6 LS3 support be removed from the main site until it's true.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

After updating to a new boot block the FlashScan device is designed to stay in dead poll mode (two orange flashing lights). You can no longer use the old FlashScan firmware programming utility. Your next step is to program in the latest firmware using the EFILive_Explorer program that comes as part of the BBL beta download.

The Readme_First.pdf file that is in the BBL beta zip file explains the process in much greater detail.

If you have any further difficulties upgrading your unit, please contact me directly at paul@efilive.com and I will help you through it.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
The Readme_First.pdf file that is in the BBL beta zip file explains the process in much greater detail.
Yes, it is commendably thorough and easy to follow (no sarcasm intended!). It told me that I should expect to update the V2 license before anything else would happen. That license screen never appeared. At that point I decided the product was not quite ready for LS3 prime time. One has to place a lot of trust in a tuning tool, and at least for the LS3, I'm not ready to trust EFILive.

Jeff

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
But, have you programmed the latest firmware into FlashScan? Nothing will happen until you do.

The instructions say:

If FlashScan has boot block V2.04.xx or earlier, please perform these steps:
1. Program firmware V2.04.71.
2. Use FlashScan’s menu option to upgrade the boot block to V2.05.07.
3. Program firmware V2.05.16(0414).
4. Update Licensing System by power cycling.You appear to have completed step 2, not done step 3, however you expect to be at step 4.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
The instructions, which I have copied directly from Readme_First.pdf and pasted below, say this:

"How to perform the initial update to boot block to V2.05.07
Select the FlashScan Upgrade Boot-block menu option using the FlashScan keypad
sequence: F4->F1->F4. You will be asked to confirm the upgrade process a number of times
as per the following screen captures.
Before the upgrade process can be completed, FlashScan will test the flash memory chip to
ensure it is operating correctly. If the flash memory test fails you will not be able to upgrade
your FlashScan unit. In that case, please return it to the place of purchase for repair.
BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
Upgrade Bootblock
to V2.5.07?
Press [Yes]
BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
The flash memory will
now be tested.
The test will take
5 min, continue?"
Press [Yes]
BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
Flash memory test
SUCCESSFUL
Continue?
Press [Yes]
BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
WARNING
Do not remove
power during the
upgrade process.
Press [Ok]
BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
A successful upgrade
will be indicated by
alternate flashing
orange LEDs.
Press [Ok]
BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
The upgrade process
CANNOT be undone.
Continue?
Press [Yes]
BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
ARE YOU SURE?
Press [Yes]
BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
IN PROGRESS
DO NOT
INTERRUPT
The upgrade process will take about 5 seconds to complete, then the screen backlight will be
turned off (the text will still be visible) and the two orange LEDs will flash alternately to indicate
dead-poll mode. Dead-poll mode means that FlashScan is waiting to be programmed with new
firmware.
After programming the V2.05.07 boot block, a license update screen will appear
IMPORTANT: The License upgrade will occur automatically (and only) the first time
FlashScan is booted after the new 2.05.07 boot block is programmed.
The license structures stored inside the device need to be upgraded. FlashScan will check the
license structures each time it re-boots. If it detects the old style license structures it will
upgrade the license structures. In that case, you will be prompted with the following
Boot block has
been upgraded.
License will
be upgraded now.
Press [Ok]
LICENSE UPGRADE
WARNING
Do not remove
power during the
upgrade process.
Press [Ok]
If the license upgrade is successful you will see the following message:
LICENSE UPGRADE
Upgrade
Completed
Successfully
Press [Ok]
If you do not see the message above, the license upgrade was not successful. In that case
you must return FlashScan to EFILive for repair."

[Bold emphasis is mine.]

I did not see the license message, so I repackaged everything to return to Ira. But I've gotten everything back out and will try the firmware update as you suggest.

Jeff

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Yes, that is misleading and incorrect, my apologies. I will fix the instructions.
Let me know if anything else does not work or if any other instructions appear incorrect.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I appreciate the support, Paul! By taking your advise and plowing ahead with the update, I have reached the point where the '08 LS3 C6 stock calibration is on my laptop and I can commence tuning. The entire update and PCM read process went smoothly once I learned I could ignore the license update. BTW, the V2 license update did occur after the second boot block update.

Please bear in mind that I didn't want to be a beta tester, I just wanted to tune an LS3, and your software seemed more capable than the other brands. I won't feel confident until after the first reflash, which will happen in the next hour or 2.

Thanks again to you and the others on the forum who have tried to help this frustrated n00b!

Jeff

joecar
April 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Jeff,

Remember to turn off all accessories, and lock the doors (so wife/kids can't open the doors)...

Make sure vehicle and laptop have full battery charge; don't power laptop from vehicle.

Save a copy of your original tune file.

Cheers,
Joe

9secz
April 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Well, I'm an EFILive n00b, but I've been reflashing GM PCMs for 10 years, so I'm up on the standard precautions. FWIW, I wrote this many years ago:

link to ancient PCM history (http://para.noid.org/~lj/PCM%20Tutorial/PCMtutorial.htm) Amazing how simple it was back then!

My first test reflash is behind me now (killed CAGS, very exciting! [& easy to confirm]), so I guess it's time to get the wideband integrated and start some serious tuning.

Jeff (aka LJ)

Blacky
April 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Well, I'm an EFILive n00b, but I've been reflashing GM PCMs for 10 years, so I'm up on the standard precautions. FWIW, I wrote this many years ago:

link to ancient PCM history (http://para.noid.org/%7Elj/PCM%20Tutorial/PCMtutorial.htm) Amazing how simple it was back then!

My first test reflash is behind me now (killed CAGS, very exciting! [& easy to confirm]), so I guess it's time to get the wideband integrated and start some serious tuning.

Jeff (aka LJ)

Thanks for being patient. Just a bad weekend to be getting support, I was away for three days with no Internet connection.
Glad everything is working as it should now. There may be other problems so don't hesitate to post up any other issues you might come across.

Regards
Paul

joecar
April 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM

link to ancient PCM history (http://para.noid.org/%7Elj/PCM%20Tutorial/PCMtutorial.htm) Amazing how simple it was back then!

Jeff (aka LJ)Hey LJ, cool, I just wanted you to be safe not sorry... :cheers: ...I remember reading that at various times, thanks. :cheers:

Cheers,
Joe
:cheers:

9secz
April 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well guys, it appears I'm not out of the woods yet (is that cliche used down under?). The scan tool connected to the PCM and validated a whole herd of PIDs. I started the engine and clicked the Monitor button with default dashboard A showing. The RPM and ECT looked correct, but just about everything else was not. Commanded AFR was displayed as 4.2, idle throttle position was about 15%, etc.

Am I doing something out of sequence again? Maybe there's a cal step for the dashboard gauges?

Edit: I think I attached a log file to this post that shows the flakey values for TPS, commanded AFR, injector duty cycle, etc. RPM, MPH, ECT, and a few others are fine. What am I doing wrong?

Also, is it normal for the C6 DIC to whine about Service Active Handling while V2 is connected with the engine running? I can live with it, but would rather not.

Jeff

joecar
April 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
LJ,

In the scantool, did you:
- go File->Enter VIN and enter your correct VIN and OS id...?
- go File->Select Controller and enter the correct PCM for your car...?

9secz
April 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
LJ,

In the scantool, did you:
- go File->Enter VIN and enter your correct VIN and OS id...?
- go File->Select Controller and enter the correct PCM for your car...?I did not do those steps, but the scan tool ended up with my VIN and OS, I assume because I locked V2 to the PCM. I just opened the scan tool and it has the right VIN and OS. Well, I know the VIN is right, and I'm assuming the OS is right because V2 pulled it from the PCM when I did the first read. It's 12617631.

Edit: I'm sure you all know that there is no LS3 in the displacement list box. I pick the 6.0 liter V8, but when I restart the scan tool with V2 connected, the scan tool keeps changing it back to the 5.7. I don't know if that is significant.

Jeff

joecar
April 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
I pm'd Tech Support.

Blacky
April 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM
I did not do those steps, but the scan tool ended up with my VIN and OS, I assume because I locked V2 to the PCM. I just opened the scan tool and it has the right VIN and OS. Well, I know the VIN is right, and I'm assuming the OS is right because V2 pulled it from the PCM when I did the first read. It's 12617631.

Edit: I'm sure you all know that there is no LS3 in the displacement list box. I pick the 6.0 liter V8, but when I restart the scan tool with V2 connected, the scan tool keeps changing it back to the 5.7. I don't know if that is significant.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Can you please send me the following files:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs\<file>.pid
where <file> is the name of the PID selection file that you are using.
You can load/save/view the pid selection file name on the [PIDs (F8)] tab page.
And the *.efi log file that has the incorrect values in it.

Send to paul@efilive.com and include a link to this thread so I can correlate the email and this thread.

Thanks
Paul

Blacky
April 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hi Jeff,

1. The commanded AFR PID is not returning AFR for your controller.
2. The throttle position looks high but with a large cam it may need that much throttle to keep idling.
3. The injector pulse widths look too high.

To solve 1, I recommend selecting the PID E38_AFRATIO_DMA instead of GM.AFR. Let me know if that PID is (or is not) available for selection for your controller.
The GM.AFR PID is what is known as a "engineering PID". Its duties change from controller to controller. That means it is valid on many controllers but is not necessarily returning AFR on anything other than LS1. There ar two other AFR PIDs:
GM.AFR_B and E38.AFRATIO_DMA that can also return AFR for various vehicles.
Yours is the first vehicle that I have seen that identifies the GM.AFR PID as valid but returns data other than AFR in it.

To trouble shoot 2, try logging the alternate (where available) GM.TP PIDs and the GM.APP PIDs as follows:
GM.APP
GM.APP_D
GM.APP_E
GM.APP_F
And
GM.TP
GM.TB_B
GM.TB_C

See what those values indicate the throttle and pedal position is and make sure that they correlate.
Note: some of those PIDs work backwards, as the TP goes from 0 to 100, the PID's value goes form 100 to 0.
It's just the way GM uses to double check the throttle position values.

To trouble shoot 3, try selecting the PIDs (if they are available):
GM.INJPWB1 and GM.INJPWB2.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Paul's suggestions have resulted in TPS, commanded AFR, and injector pulsewidth PIDs that seem plausible for my nearly stock LS3 (LG long tubes and Callaway Honker so far). TPS was a bit of a poser because there were 14 supported PIDs related to the throttle. Being both analytical and thorough, I had no choice but to build a dash and log them all.

I've attached a zip file containing the PID list, log file, and all the dashboard entities I used. Being a bona fide noobie still, I'm assuming y'all can unzip and view this stuff if interested. It turned out that only GM.APP displayed plausible values in percent for my LS3.

Paul's suggestion of E38_AFRATIO_DMA for AFR resulted in 14.68 for my brief test of idling and throttle blips, and the GM.INJPWB1 and GM.INJPWB2 PIDs displayed plausible injector pulsewidths (~2+ ms at idle).

My next step is to make a near clone of the default dash with the PIDs that work with the LS3 and do a bit of WOT logging.

Jeff

9secz
April 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Well, I spent about 90 minutes building a nice custom dash, then went out for some logging. I clicked Monitor before leaving the driveway to make sure all was well. The injector pulsewidth gauges didn't work, but they're nonessential at this point, so I headed out to my test road. I checked the dash a couple times to make sure it was updating. Except for PW, all seemed fine.

When I got to the test road, I pulled over to start the logger. But the PCM connection was lost somewhere on the freeway. And I can't get it back, no matter what sequence of cable connecting and scanner starting I try. EFILive keeps generating error reports.

This is really pushing my patience, guys! I don't want to be a beta tester!!! :crash:

I've attached a zip file containing whatever error reports the tool has generated so far.

I'm good for a couple more experiments, after that I'm gonna be looking for a refund.

Frustrated Jeff

Blacky
April 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hi Jeff,

From the log files, it looks like the FlashScan device (or you laptop's USB port) may have failed.
Does the FlashScan device still work when connected to USB power only.
Try plugging it into a different USB port.
Try it on a a different computer.

Does the laptop beep in recognition when FlashScan is connected?
Can you see "EFILive FlashScan V2" in the list of USB devices in Windows hardware manager?
To view:
Start Menu.
Right Click "My Computer".
Select Properties.
Select Hardware tab page.
Click [Device Manager] button.
Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
EFILive FlashScan V2 should be displayed.

Please note:
FlashScan's USB circuitry can be damaged if you use a power inverter to power your laptop from the vehicle's battery.
If that is the case, you can usually detect a burnt/acrid smell from the inside of FlashScan. See image for an example of what can happen if you use a power inverter.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 23rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
V2 powers up and displays the main menu when powered by the OBDII cable from the car or the USB cable from the laptop. The laptop USB driver has not been a factor in any of the problems I've had so far. Device manager correctly identifies V2.

Keep in mind that last night I connected to the PCM in my driveway, then clicked on Monitor. I glanced at the dash a few times on my way to my test road and the connection was still good (gauges responding). Somewhere between my last glance on the freeway and pulling over at my test road to start logging, the connection died.

There were no unusual events, e.g. slamming on the brakes and sending the laptop to the floor. The laptop sat undisturbed on the passenger seat the whole time. Whatever died must have committed unassisted suicide.

The laptop was powered by its internal battery. I never use an inverter while logging. The power scheme never turns off the hard drive or hibernates on this machine. The screen never went black.

Jeff

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately without more information I can't know what caused the problem. Obtaining that information would require more "testing" from your end. I understand that you didn't sign up to be a beta tester. If you want to return the unit for a full refund that is an option I will still honor. (Usually once a unit has been used to tune a vehicle it is no longer eligible for return/refund).

Another option that would help us is to allow us to replace your existing unit with a new unit, just in case there is some intermittent hardware fault in your existing unit.

It would help me out considerably if you could attempt to reproduce the situation and if/when it occurs again, to save a user generated error report. You can do that by selecting File->Generate error report. Then save the report and email it to me at paul@efilive.com

Please let me know what you would like to do from here...

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 23rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
I’ll try to connect and log tonight after work. If it won’t connect, I’ll see if the V2 USB driver got corrupted and if the laptop USB port works with other devices. I’ll also try to generate the error report per your suggestion. If the laptop’s USB facilities are all functional, I’ll swap my V2 for another one. My only request is for the replacement to ship tomorrow from Ira. I’m planning a track tuning day this Saturday that will be scrubbed if I don’t have hardware.

I'll post again this evening after I try the scanner again.

Edit: I realized my earlier post was not thorough on the subject of power inverters. My V2 has never been connected to a laptop running on an inverter. The laptop runs on its internal battery while in the car, and on the power brick that came with it while in the house.

Jeff

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
For the track day, have you considered logging without using a laptop?
You can keep your laptop in the pits/garage and download the log files from FlashScan when you've finished on the track.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
For the track day, have you considered logging without using a laptop?
You can keep your laptop in the pits/garage and download the log files from FlashScan when you've finished on the track.

Regards
PaulYes, I was hoping to get BBL working before Saturday. First thing after getting home from work, I:

- Checked the laptop's USB driver state: all was as it should be.
- Connected V2 to laptop: V2 powered up normally and displayed the main menu.
- Started car, connected it to V2 (laptop disconnected): V2 powered up, DIC displayed SAH messages.
- Connected V2 to laptop, started Scan, clicked Connect: It connected!
- Clicked Monitor: My Scan dash page gauges responded normally. Victory?

So it looks like I've got a pesky intermittent to deal with. I plan to repeat exactly what I did yesterday to see if I can get a WOT log this evening. It will be 2-3 more hours before traffic dies down.

Jeff

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
- Clicked Monitor: My Scan dash page gauges responded normally. Victory?

Just a possible "gotcha" that has caused confusion in the past.

Clicking Monitor (yellow button) will start in pause mode, so no actual data gets logged. Clicking Record (red button) will start NOT in pause mode.

You can press Ctrl+Space to toggle paused/not paused.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
DAMN, this is annoying! I went out after dinner for a quick logging drive and I'm back to the error generator every time I start Monitoring. I've attached 2 of them (one had to be zipped because it is big). Please tell me EXACTLY what sequence things have to be done in after getting in the car to set up for and commence logging with a laptop. I will follow it religiously. Assume nothing is connected and that the ignition is off. Assume EFILive is not running on the laptop.

If sequence is not important, could there be a PID, or gauge, or other entity that causes the system to barf? I've attached the PID list (had to be zipped because the uploader barfed on the .pid format).

Jeff

Blacky
April 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
The sequence should not really matter unless there are underlying problems with other components. But the preferred sequence would be:

1. Turn ignition on
2. Connect FlashScan to vehicle.

When FlashScan powers up (via USB or vehicle power) it attempts to determine what vehicle it is connected to. It can only do that successfully if it is connected to the vehicle AND the ignition is already on.

3. Wait for FlashScan's splash screen to go away and for the main menu to appear. The number of detected modules and the detected protocol should display in the lower right corner of the FlashScan LCD. Like this: CAN 02, which would mean 2 devices found using the CAN protocol.

4. Connect FlashScan to the PC.
5. Start the EFILive Scan Tool software on the laptop
6. Click the Connect toolbar button to connect the PC to FlahsScan and the selected controller.

Back to the error message.

Response $31: "Request Out of Range". That is a repsonse from the ECM saying that a request was made that was out of range. In this case, you are seeing an unsupported PID error. The PID is the LS1 style injector base pulse width. Please de-select the two PIDs:
GM.IBPW1 (Not supported on E38 controllers)
GM.IBPW2 (Not supported on E38 controllers)

Instead, only use these ones:
GM.INJPWB1 (IS supported on E38 controllers)
GM.INJPWB2 (IS supported on E38 controllers)

In the Scan Tool software, on the [PIDs (F8)] tab page, do the PIDs: GM.IBPW1 and GM.IBPW2 have an "X" through their icon? If so that indicates that they are not supported. If they show up as valid (i.e. no "X" through their icon), please re-run the PID validation routine. Menu: Info->Validate PIDs. If they still show up as valid, please let me know.

It is also possible that you can't see unsupported PIDs on that tab page because the "Supported" check box is checked. If that is the case un-check that checkbox so you can see the unsupported PIDs and deselect any PIDs with an "X" through their icon.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
The 2 PIDs you asked me to remove are shown as supported, that's why I wanted to see them. I'm comparing different instances of what appear to be the same variables. But I'll delete them and try again.

http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/ScreenShot.gif

Jeff

9secz
April 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm still getting Response $31 with the 2 offending IPW PIDs deleted. Do you see any other supported PIDs that aren't?

http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/ScreenShot1.gif

Jeff

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm still getting Response $31 with the 2 offending IPW PIDs deleted. Do you see any other supported PIDs that aren't?
Jeff

My mistake, sorry. The PID causing the $31 error is GM.AFR. Use E38.AFRATIO_DMA or GM.AFR_B instead - assuming one of those is marked as supported.

It is strange that the two IBPW PIDs are flagged as supported in your controller, they may or may not be IBPW PIDs in your controller. I suspect they are not IBPW data. I do not know why they show up as supported. I have no reference of those PIDs being used in an E38 or E67 controller.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
In the image you posted, the "Supported" checkbox is checked. Uncheck it and you should see the GM.AFR PID selected, but with a red cross through its icon indicating that it is not supported. De-select it and try logging again.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 09:04 AM
One last thing, try to keep the channel count to 24 or less.
The channel count is shown at the bottom of the PIDs tab page.

For version 7 software that is the limit of channels you can log at high speed.
If you select more than 24 channels the data logging speed will be reduced.

In version 8 (when it is released) and in the black box logging, you can select up to 42 channels for CAN based vehicles. For VPW based vehicles the limit is still 24 channels.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
In the image you posted, the "Supported" checkbox is checked. Uncheck it and you should see the GM.AFR PID selected, but with a red cross through its icon indicating that it is not supported. De-select it and try logging again.

Regards
PaulYou mean like this:

http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/ScreenShot2.gif

I don't see any red X through any of the PIDs I've selected, yet this group gives me Response $31. I guess I'm missing something. Please explain how the LS3 tuner is to know which PIDs will work and which won't.

Regarding channel count, I read the advice to stick to 24, but this is just a test to see what I can log. fps is irrelevant, unless you're telling me that exceeding the recommended 24 may cause logging to barf. Will it?

I'll try pulling GM.AFR out of the mix and report back in a few minutes.

Jeff

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Even after you remove the GM.AFR PID, just to be on the safe side please also remove the two PIDs: GM.IBPW1 and GM.IBPW2.

I have a theory that the PIDs are not being validated correctly. Some PIDs that are not valid appear to be validated by the PCM as supported. Howeever, I think the ECM may be reporting them as supported for CARB/Freeze frame data but not for high speed logging.

I may need to change the way EFILive detects valid PIDs. We had a similar issue on the latest duramax diesels as well.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 24th, 2008, 12:17 PM
This is absolutely freaking unbelievable. I deleted GM.AFR as well as GM.IBPW1 and 2, then connected to the PCM with the engine off but key on. Monitor worked. My two TPS gauges responded to the throttle pedal. So I stopped Monitor, disconnected from the PCM, and disconnected all the cables so I could start logging with the recommended connection sequence.

With everything physically disconnected and the scan tool closed, I fired up the engine, connected the V2 to car cable, waited for V2 to finish booting, connected the V2 to laptop cable, started the scan tool, connected it to the PCM, and clicked Monitor. And all my gauges worked! No error reports! Woohoo! With great anticipation I hovered the cursor over the Record button. I clicked it, and...

... my *&^%ing laptop screen instantly went black. WTF?!?! I don't know if it was some incredible (and evil!) coincidence, or if EFILive committed a Windows sin. I guess I'll try again after my blood pressure gets back to somewhere near normal.

Jeff

9secz
April 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
OK, calmer now. I was able to record a 30 second log file idling in the driveway. When traffic dies down, I'll try to get the WOT log I've been fighting for.

When I created my dashpage, I created a little army of same size, default format gauges using the right click > Add > Gauge method. At one point they had the same default color scheme, which is all I needed for this quick what-can-I-log test. But somewhere along the line, EFILive autonomously decided some of them should be green as shown below. I have *never* tried to change any gauge's color, font, or anything except the overall size and the PID it displays.

http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/Preconnect.gif

To make it stranger still, at least to me, is that the gauges revert to their default appearance after I connect as shown below.

http://para.noid.org/~lj/C6/Postconnect.gif

Are they trying to tell me something?

Another disconcerting behavior is that, when I connect per Paul's suggestion, i.e. start the car, then connect the V2-to-car cable, I invariably get the Service Active Handling and Service Traction Control messages. OTOH, if I start the car with the V2-to-car cable already connected, I get no whining from my DIC. Can anyone explain that to me?

Jeff

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
The green background is because the min alarm has tripped. You can right click on a gauge and select properties to edit its properties, including its min/max alarm values. And the colors of the guage when the min/max alarm values are tripped.

The min alarms are tripped when not logging because the gauges default to their minimum value when not logging.

I do not know why you are getting warning lights/tomes when connecting FlashScan. It is almost certainly because of the messages FlashScan is sending on the bus to detect the various modules.

Just to double check the recommended sequence, it should be:
1. ignition on.
2. connect FlashScan.
3. start engine - if required.

Regardless, you should not see/hear the other modules complaining.
What version of firmware is in the FlashScan device? It will be V2.05.xx.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
One confusing thing when editing gauge properties, is that when you resize the property window the background image (if one is in use) is expanded to fill the entire sample area in the properties window. However the gauge itself is not expanded to match the background.
To re-align the gauge goto the [Background] tab page and click the [align] button.

That "weirdness" will be fixed in the next major release of EFILive.

Hint: You can drag the scroll bar left/right in the properties window to see the gauge animated for the range of input values. Good for checking what min/max alarms will look like.

Regards
Paul

9secz
April 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the hints, but I'm sending it back. The scan tool froze on me twice just driving over to my test road while Monitoring the PCM. This was on smooth, straight, level highway. It auto-generated two error files the first time, and one must be a whopper because it took a long time to generate. It only generated one error file the second time.

EFILive looks like a good tool, but it does not work with this LS3 C6. I'm wondering how it can work with any LS3. I hope Brand H does.

Jeff

Blacky
April 24th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hi Jeff,

Good of you to spend the time to try and make it work, some folks would have given up long ago. While it appears there are some PID validation issues with the EFILive software for the controller in your C6, I am confident the locking up problems are due to this issue:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7884

Sorry that it didn't work out for you. I am 100% confident that the problem is in the FlashScan V2 beta firmware and will be resolved in a matter of weeks (probably days).

While I think you'd be better off waiting for the fix, I don't expect you to wait as that is not what you paid for and as I said before EFILive will give you a refund once your unit is returned.

And seriously, good luck with brand H I do hope it works for your configuration.

Regards
Paul